1 week in and slightly confused about feast days?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
1 week in and slightly confused about feast days?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  NatashaD 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Hi Guys

So I am one week in to the FD, having done 4:3 last week and will be doing the same this week. I saved all my calories for my evening meal and my longest fast without food was 22.5 hours. I weighed myself before I ate my dinner on my last fast day and the scales said I had lost 5lbs last week.

I had feast days over the weekend and to be honest after a week of 4:3, I gave in to my temptations (McDonalds – shameful I know), but at least on Saturday I tried to stay within my TDEE – which in the end, I did not.

I fully expect to have in reality lost less than 5lbs last week, as Im sure a lot of it was water and due to the fact that I weighed when I had gone longest without food. But I am confused about how to eat on feast days.

Having rummaged through the forums, I was under the clear impression that it is best not to eat more than your TDEE on feast days. I did manage this for most of the week, but I struggled on the weekend because I find myself calorie counting even when not fasting, and still feel somewhat deprived when I cant have some of the things I love. But I am also re-reading the FD book after a year or so, and so far (I am on page 97) the book says things like “you will be eating what you want tomorrow” (p84) and “if you please, you can give in to temptation the following day” (p85). No mention thus far about sticking to your TDEE. I am trying to be sensible about it and I am not a ‘well over 2000 per day’ kind of eater, but I find sticking to my TDEE on feast days makes it feel like I am dieting all week.

Can any well-seasoned 5:2er shed some light on this? Advice much appreciated 😀

Hi Natasha
    Congrats on your first week! 🙂

My understanding is that on non-fast days (it might be better not to call them feast days!!) you eat ‘normally’ – ie, around your TDEE – and you can include in that whatever types of food you would normally eat to maintain a steady weight. However, for many on 5:2, over time, there does seem to be a reduction in desire to eat the less healthy foods.

I wonder if starting with 4:3 is a bit too drastic and perhaps caused you to give into temptation? I would really suggest that you just do 5:2 for a while – at least 6 weeks – and see how that goes re weight/ cm loss. You can move to 4:3 if you get stuck on a plateau for a while. However, I found that 5:2 is a LOT easier to cope with than 4:3 – I don’t feel anywhere near as ‘deprived’ with only 2 fast days, and thus less likely to overeat other days. I didn’t try 4:3 til after over 6 months on 5:2, and I have decided it is not for me.

This Way of Eating is not about fast weight loss, but about long term sustainable weight loss. Average loss of a pound a week, or a bit less, is all that is expected. If you push yourself too hard, you may have trouble sticking with it…

It is all about finding an eating regime that will work for you from now on forever! Best wishes for finding that! 🙂
    Sassy 😀

Hi Sassy

Thanks for your advice 🙂 I do hope that over time I stop craving bad foods, because ultimately they are my downfall.

I decided to start the diet with 2 weeks of 4:3 because I am not generally a patient person, so the more rapid results obtained by doing 4:3 for 2 weeks is what I hope will give me the motivation to do 5:2 for the long haul. I dont find 4:3 too taxing to be honest, one fast day is like any other so I dont feel too deprived. I just struggle to eat my TDEE on non-fast days because if Im honest about it, I suppose I always ate more than my TDEE when I wasnt dieting, which is why I am now a little overwight (18lbs to lose in total).

I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and restrict myself to my TDEE on non-fast days if I want the diet to work for me? Im just slightly concenrned that the idea of restricting myself in some way every day will be too much mentally. As a habitual comfort eater, it is actually a slightly frightening prospect too.

Hi Natasha

General thinking is that you eat just below your TDEE on normal days.

I know the book doesn’t say this and it perhaps gives the impression that you can eat all the ‘bad’ things and then ‘cure’ this by fasting. But you have to be sensible – let’s be honest it was bad habits that brought us all to needing to lose weight in the first place.

If you think about this …

let’s say your TDEE is 1500 cals (a nice round figure)- your weekly TDEE intake without fasting would be 10500 cals

With 2 days fasting it would make your weekly total (5 x 1500) + (2 x 500) = 8500 for the week.

If you exceed your TDEE on normal days by even 500 cals, your total for the week will be 11000. This completely negates the fasting days.

I am one of these people who calorie count on normal days because it suits me to do this, but not everyone does. You do what works for you.

You say you ‘ feel somewhat deprived when I cant have some of the things I love.’ Why can’t you have these things, in moderation, on your normal days? OK, chocolate is not what you should be wasting your cals on, on a fast day. But you can have a couple of squares the next day and it’s something to look forward to.

I agree with all that Sassy says, start with 5:2 with the ‘2’ on non consecutive days – I do Monday and Thursday but I can change these if I need to. Do this for 6 weeks or so until you get into the routine. Make sure you plan ahead and have everything you will eat on fast days ready the day before. Having to root around for something to eat too often leads to eating something high cal because that’s all there is.

Also, my opinion is that weighing at the end of a fast is not a guide to what you are losing, it’s a false figure. You should be looking at a weekly loss of 1-2lbs. Some people like to weigh daily and again it’s what works for you.

Go on to 5:2 and give it few weeks. Hang on in there. x

Hi Sylvestra,

Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate the insight. It seems as though I am approaching this the wrong way, and perhaps I am still hanging on to my bad habits of eating what I want on non-fast days. Seems like I have some re-thinking to do. I have never done well with eating bad things in moderation, but it appears as though this is something I am going to have to learn to do!

Thanks for the encouragement and support guys x

Hi Natasha! I am really glad you have posted this, as I find myself exactly in the same situation. I am doing the 5:2 instead and found that on a Sunday, expecting that the day after I will be fasting I tend to overindulge on cookies or goodies that otherwise would not be in the house “so that tomorrow they will not be here and I will not have the temptation”.
    I am on my second week, so I cannot say whether this is going to change over time or not. One thing I can tell works to keep me satisfied is keep my house full of all the normal things I would have before 5:2 (fruit-veg-lean protein-whole grains) but cooking those in a “less heatlhy way” on the 5 days, and super clean on the 2 days fast. I have also noticed that on non fasting days I tend to be very inspired by cooking interesting meals, maybe because for 2 days I dont really have to think about food or to prepare anything complicated. Maybe you should try this too, give in your temptation but make it yourself! it will take you so much more time to make burgers from scratch than pop in at mcdonald’s if thats what you like and will definitely satisfy you more by taste and nutritional value. hope this helps!

Hi Wilmad! Im relieved to find someone else struggling with the same issues as me. I suppose its only been a week so maybe I am being a bit harsh on myself expecting to fall into line immediately. I have been really good on fast days, sticking to the calorie limit and getting really long fasts in though, so thats something I am getting right! Cooking healthy foods in a naughty way sounds like something that is right up my street 😉 defo going to give that a go!

The biggest culprit is chocolate and biscuits – I think I will have to take baby steps to beat those baddies. Its been a lifetime of indulgence, so it makes sense that it will take more than one week to adjust to a life of moderation.

Thanks so much for your perspective guys, its encouraging to know that I am not going through my FD journey alone 🙂

I think if you stick with it your appetite will diminish a bit overall. I think the stomach does shrink a bit and you just can’t fit as much in. Also, in the book he says don’t try to gorge in a bid to make up for lost time and he says eat till your satiated not busting. He says, it’s not a cycle of bingeing and starving….see pages 106-107 in the book. Just for clarification, I am just starting so I am by no means an expert, however I have lost weight in the past by eating as little as possible for as long as possible till I couldn’t stand it any more, then I would binge. Over time, I just couldn’t eat as much. This approach is so much better and I think it is something I cans stick to.
    Jen

Hi Natasha,

I have read the book last week and as far as I can remember it says somewhere if you do 5:2 then on you non fast days you have to stay within your TDE. If you were to do alternate day fasting then you can eat as much as you like.
    With the 5:2 way of life you have to stay within your TDE, albeit you can fill yourself up with what ever you like.
    I do a complete mix between 5:2, 4:3 and 16:8. Whenever I have overindulged I immediately do a fast day.
    I do not mind fasting but sometimes it is hard to stay within my TDE.
    Stef.

Heya Natasha! I think what they mean with “you can have it tomorrow” is like people already said, having it with moderation. So don’t eat an entire cheesecake, just have a slice. I know that’s tough, but it’s better than not being able to eat them at all right?

5:2 is a good sustainable way of eating where you can still eat most of the things you like, but not without limits. And it’s a whole lot better than most other diets out there (it’s a lifestyle change) but it’s no magic sadly 🙁

Oh yeah and I call them ‘low’ and ‘normal’ days ^^

Hi Natasha!

I would have to agree, you are being too harsh on yourself! It’s only been a week. You can’t have formed any bad eating habits in just one week, so its not going to take one to adjust them too. I am contemplating a 4:3 this week, but only because I have plateau’d after 7 weeks on the Fast Diet. My non-fast days have settled down a heap, but I was like you at the start and ate way too much when I wasn’t fasting. It took me about two weeks for this to change and now I don’t really want to eat that much (whether my stomach capacity has actually changed or whether it is more behavioural is unclear just yet!).

Stick with it, it’ll get more easier to balance as you go. I’m not patient either, but it will happen!

xx Meg

Thanks for posting guys, all the advice is really helpful. I thought about what you guys said lat night and to be honest I think I have a personal issue with food, it has been a constant source of comfort in recent years and the thought of restricting myself on fast and non-fast days was daunting. But I think now is the time for me to find some strength and banish comfort eating for good. Go me! I have to say I have noticed that I am more aware of when I eat something, but I wasnt actually hungry for it at all. Today I am not fasting and someone at work brought chocolates in from the US. I had one…and realised after one bite that I didnt actually want it. That is a massive breakthrough! Bring on the food awareness 😉

Meg-made, I did 4:3 last week and will do again this week because to be honest, I find it absolutely fine to do 3 days a week. Until my eating habits on non-fast days have improved, I think I need the 3rd day to balance things out a bit. After 3 days fasting last week and then the weekend of non-fast days, I weighed myself this morning (after the first fast day of this week) and I have dropped 4lbs in total. Pretty pleased with that 🙂

Well done NatashaD – you go girl!!!! 😀

Thanks Sylvestra 😀 hope things are going well for you too! x

Congrats! On the weightloss, but also the other breakthroughs you had. See, you just needed a little more time 😉

Thanks Nika! 😀 xx

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply.