Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Mid-60s. Canadian. Monday & Thursday fasting. No excuses.

This topic contains 361 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by  grburgess 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 363 total)

• Hah! Did it! Got those extra pounds off another half! So this brings my all-time total to 20 lbs gone. Half way to my goal. I’m going to keep checking in here every day as it’s definitely helping me to keep my focus. Have a great day, my friends. Without you to come back to, I’m pretty sure I’d still have the four pounds extra I had a week ago and be in a dark funk of self-pity and sugar intake.

Yea Mary! Way to go!
    Kathcan, the ex-wife’s fitbit needs some wine spilled on it.
    Have a good day, everybody. Anne

Good for you Mary, having a tough time getting those pounds off even with fasting lots! Still about the same as I was 2 months ago. But I am diabetic, so it takes a lot longer to budge if you are diabetic.

Yes, that’s great Mary! I am now at a new low, just by two tenths but it helps. Anne, thanks for your comment, it made me laugh. Both of the brother-in-law’s wives are so active and perfect! PJ, I admire your perseverance, I get frustrated so easily! Mary, I really think it helps all of us when you post.

Have a great long weekend everyone!

Never mind the x- wife —— YOU re the WIFE !

Wonderful HOT long weekend here in BC. I am on a fasting challenge, commitment , whatever and am losing weight. Yay!!!!!!

Saturday in the city. Fortunately, the heat wave has passed. Arnie just made us the most fantastic salads for lunch — tuna salad plus a tossed salad of romaine with avocado, tomato, sunflower seeds and Renee’s Greek feta salad dressing, with a mini pita bread, and then he’d cut up mangoes, strawberries and kiwi fruit for dessert. Plus a cookie. I didn’t need the cookie, but I ate it. Sometimes salad lunches can be so sumptuous that I know there is no way they are “legal.” But I ate it, and at least I know it was all healthy. Arnie has so much more patience than I do for making a plate look (as well as taste) delicious. I’d been ready to go grab something at Ikea, where we need to do a bit of shopping later, but I’m glad he decided to have lunch here. (He was worried we wouldn’t eat the things in the fridge before they went bad.)

PJBR: I know I am fortunate not to have health issues that slow down the weight loss. I am easily discouraged when I hit a plateau so I am really admiring your persistence.

My younger son and his family just left BC for home (in Edmonton) after a week on Lake Okanagan. I hope the forest fires are settling down. ?

For lunch (dinner) today we’re going to visit an old (and I mean “old” — she’s in her mid-90s) friend of Arnie’s at the retirement residence to which she’s just moved. She was very worried about moving out of the apartment she’d lived in for decades, and her family isn’t too helpful when it comes to supporting her decisions nor do they visit very often, but she finally realized she was just too lonely on her own so she made the big move. My aunt used to live in a retirement residence like this, and I know what those noon meals are like: first there’s soup or salad and dinner rolls, then there’s a main course with sauces and carbs, then there are really delicious desserts, and it’s hard to say no to anything because while you’re eating you’re looking around and dreading the day when you’ll have to move into a place like that….

PJBR, way to go! Mary, my ex m-i-l lived in such a place (a very nice place)-I understand. Have a good week, everyone. Anne

Mary, I agree, I worked in a building which had an extended care facility attached. The kitchen did put out good food but still , not to be in control of what you eat and, I am afraid of all that carbohydrate. If I ever go into one, I will lose weight for sure cause I just cannot tolerate all that carbohydrate. Hey! another reason to get rid of this diabetes (if that is possible) so I CAN eat safely in a nursing home. Ha Ha.

Reminds me of a nursing home joke. An old lady resident would go around to the men sitting there, flip her skirt and say, “Super sex!” One old gentleman answered “I’ll take the soup please.”

The problem is that you eat even when you don’t want to because everything moves so slowly you are going to go crazy if you don’t do something. It took us 1.5 hours to order and eat a bowl of soup (I’d have taken the sex) which appeared on our table the moment we sat down, a dessicated veggie burger on a bun with fries and coleslaw, and a banana split. And one of the people at the table told the same story over and over again. It’s so depressing. And that’s not even extended care: it’s a “retirement residence.” I was a basket case by the time I left.

Great joke PJBR! My parents were both in various nursing/retirement homes. I wish they were still around so I could tell them that joke – they would appreciate it! The worse thing is to be in a wheelchair and you can’t go to the bathroom by yourself.

On a lighter note, my daughter is coming tomorrow for a couple of days; just her and the dog. I’ll probably have dessert and maybe snacks but will try not to over do it. Today is a fast day so I’ll have that out of the way. My son and his girlfriend are planning to come sometime soon too.

Spent most of the day yesterday gardening; think I’ll go and do some more now. It keeps my mind occupied and I like seeing the results. I am facing a somewhat difficult decision. We have an apple tree in front of a section of our deck (south facing, lots of hot sun). It’s huge and provides a lot of shade, for the deck and for my favourite shady garden below. But there are a huge number of applies that fall everywhere and have to be picked up; they’re not really edible and they attract wasps. We’re thinking of removing it and putting in an above ground pool in it’s place (our property is very low and sitting on limestone so we can’t have an in-ground pool). Just the other day I was sitting out there and three cedar waxwings flitted around the branches. We get all sorts of birds. Not only do we have apple blossoms in the spring and beautiful shade but you can feel the oxygen you breathe in from the tree. So this is my dilemma.

Sorry for rambling on – this is not a gardening forum after all! Enjoy your day, fast day or not.

Great joke! Mary, the whole lunch sounded dreadful. Kathcan, I would have a terrible time getting rid of a tree that provides as much as that one. Would you love the pool as much? Tough choice. Fast day today. Trying to stay busy. Anne

I’m fasting today too. I didn’t yesterday because it was a holiday in Canada, but I was fairly modest in my calorie intake. Can’t decide whether to do my second fast on Thursday (my usual day) or Friday. Such big decisions to think about!

I am going to a Blue Jays baseball game tonight (a friend won two tix in a draw) so that will keep me distracted through the late afternoon and evening hours. I’ll have a salad with chicken on it for my evening meal at a food fair nearby the stadium: food inside the stadium is ridiculously expensive.

Pool vs. tree: tough call, but I know about the wasps because I lived in a house that had an apple tree for a while. Maybe you can put in a birdbath and a feeder near the pool to continue to attract birds. And an umbrella for shade. Not the same as a tree, but the pool has benefits too.

I love to watch birds, too. Our neighbours have a feeder and we get cardinals and grackles as well as the usual hordes of English sparrows.

Have a great day all.

My birthday today. Not fasting. Did fairly well yesterday. My dream of being a whole new person when my husband comes home Saturday won’t happen, but he is not looking for a whole new person…just me (thank god). I will have lost 10 pounds and kept it off for more than minutes or hours. I’ll take that and work on further. Have a good week. Anne

To me, as much as I love to play in the water, the tree wins!

Happy birthday Anne! Sorry I didn’t see it yesterday, I had to move the computer and furniture so my daughter could sleep in my little office. I hope you had a wonderful, relaxing day. Mary, I hope you enjoyed the Blue Jays game.

The pool is mostly for the grown up kids and the grandchildren to come. Still thinking about alternatives.

I have a gift voucher for a spa from people I work with. My daughter made an appointment for both of us to have a pedicure! I’ve never had a pedicure before so it will be interesting.

Lots of calories consumed yesterday and my weight was quick to react. I’m sure it will be bad today too and I’ll definitely be making up for it tomorrow. Have a great day everyone!

Happy birthday, Anne. That’s commitment: fasting on your birthday! And congratulations on the 10 lbs. That is a lot of pounds and a great start. Lots to celebrate when your husband gets home!

The tree-pool decision is so tough that I’m glad I don’t have to make it. Good luck with that.

The baseball game was great! Two home runs and we were right at 3rd base in the 4th row so we had to pay attention or risk getting a ball in the head. I made it through my fast day, but I am still up half a pound this a.m. So I’m keeping a lid on it today and I’ll try to get some extra steps in.

We’re getting a new door put in today: Lots of noise, hard to concentrate, but it will be worth it!

Have a good one, all!

Great joke, PJBR! I know, Mary, those places are so depressing no matter how ” nice” they are. My mum was in one for a year before she passed away, downhill slide.
    Speaking of downhill slides… well I have gained back a couple of lbs, summer will do that to you. I am not worried about it, but want to get back on track. I have family here right now, they leave on Saturday, so I will go back to the FD way next week, and want to really commit.
    I vote for the pool!

xo ET

And belated Happy Birthday, Anne:)

Look forward to seeing you back in the saddle next week, ET. Summers are hard: there is so much going on!

I decided to do my second fast-day of the week today, as Thursday is my usual day and you never know what is going to happen on a Friday (we sometimes decide to go out to eat). I like that little three-day break from Friday to Sunday, although I have to be careful because that’s when I start to get a bit stupid.

I’m still up half a pound over my all time low (last week, when I hit the 20-lbs-down mark) so I am just doing what I am supposed to do and knowing that it will all come off eventually.

Have a great rest-of-the-day, my friends.

Here I am again. Friday is a weigh-in day for me, and I’m down a pound and a half, for a total loss of 21 lbs. My thrill today was checking my BMI and discovering that I’m only 1.8 points away from being “healthy weight.” When I started 5:2, I was officially “obese.”

Yesterday was the most amazing fast-day. I had no discomfort at all. No agonizing hunger pangs mid-afternoon or longing to have more to eat after dinner. It was a breeze. That amazed me. I don’t mind the fast days even when they’re hard (they make me feel holy or something. 😉 ) But this was a real landmark. I hope that happens again from time to time.

The problems I have are still with the non-fast days. I feel quite in control today, having had 1.5 English muffins, about 1 ounce of cheddar and a peach for breakfast. I’m anticipating a salad for lunch. But every non-fast day for the past month, by about 4 p.m. I’m looking for a sweet treat. Sometimes I resist, and I am determined that today should be one of those resist days!

Quiet weekend ahead: we have Arnie’s 18 month old overnight tomorrow night so her parents can go to a wedding, and we have my son’s dog for a few more days. But things get hectic and social as of the end of next week so I’m just going to enjoy the peace and quiet.

Till soon….

Good job, Mary! Husband comes home from Germany tomorrow. It’s been a long haul. Back you all in a few days. Anne

Mary, that’s great! You are an inspiration! Anne, I’m happy for you to have your husband back at last. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Thanks everyone for your comments on my tree vs. pool dilemma, I appreciate them! Still working that out but also doing a big renovation on a room right now. Last year we had almost no apples but this year there’s a humungous amount. Thinking of rigging up a tarp to collect the falling apples and channel them into a large container or trailer away from the garden.

I had a lovely visit with my daughter. The pedicure was great – I now have sparkly silver toe nails! Despite some desserts and snacks I’m actually still maintaining the weight so that’s good. Mary, if you have that sweet craving, you might want to consider what my daughter found – Chapmans Super Lolly – chocolate popsicles at 70 calories each.

ET, my mom was also in that kind of nursing home until she died, and, as attractive as they tried to make it, it was depressing. The staff were friendly but seemed more concerned with ticking off their list of daily duties. Once we were visiting in the lounge and a staff member came in and started vacuuming the totally clean carpet while we were trying to talk with my mom and nearly deaf father. I almost got up and told her to get lost but didn’t want to upset my parents. The somewhat positive benefits of being part of the “boomer” generation is that there seems to be a beginning of change with the kind of care we demand, including having our own computers!

I still have about 8 lbs I would like to lose but happy with my progress so far. My daughter commented that she noticed I definitely look thinner. And I feel lighter too.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Hi all,

Kathcan, good to hear from you. Glad you had a good visit with your daughter. There’s nothing like hanging out with your adult kids! I doubt I’d find a Chapman’s Super Lolly here in Canada, as the word “Lolly” has a distinctly UK sound, but I’ll try!

PrairieGrass, I hope you’ve had a wonderful reunion with your husband.

Yesterday’s fast made up for the ease of the one I had last Thursday. Yesterday was very hard and this a.m. I’m still the same weight as I was last week, after being more moderate than usual on the weekend. But I know it’s a process that is sometimes quicker than others. I’m going to fast three days this week because we’re off to Hunstville for four days on Saturday and they have the best ice cream stand anywhere! Plus we’ll be eating our meals out for the most part. We’re hoping to get some canoeing and cycling in while we are there so I’m looking forward to that.

Till soon. Have a good week!

Hello Hello??? Where is everyone? There seems to be an echo in here.

I did a second fast day yesterday and I am doing a third one tomorrow. This is NOT easy, and I admire those who are doing 4:3 on a regular basis. But next week is a bit of a write-off in terms of fasting days, although I’ll aim to sneak in two somewhere, so I figured I’d better get three in this week in case.

Anyway, I’m down another 1.5 this week for a total of 22.5.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone when you’re back online.

Hi all. I’m back…doing a fast today. Mary, you are doing so wonderfully!! Tuesday’s fast was fair for me. My husband is actually doing the fast days with me, so maybe we can encourage each other. Hope everyone has a good day. anne

Hi Mary, Hi Mary, oh yes, there is an echo!
    Hmmm…I cannot seem to get back into this diet. I was going to do two days this week, but haven’t stuck to one yet. I was using a method that worked before: not eating until I am hungry, usually around 11 or 12 having something around 200 cals, then planning a 300 cal dinner. What’s happening is I get really hungry by 4 PM, I cave and have a small snack…but then I want a glass of wine….and then dinner is okay but I have already gone over 500 cals. I will make today a fasting day, and see if I can stick to it! I think this has to become a habit, it is harder to jump in and out.
    Any suggestions for getting through that afternoon part would be welcome. I need to re-read the book, and maybe use some of their recipes.
    Kathcan, your description of a nursing home was spot on. My mother needed more physical care than any of us could give her, so there was no choice, but it was a tough year. The staff were saints though, did everything they could, but everyone knows it’s a “last stop” and that was depressing. I hope I never have to be there- let’s all get thin enough that we stop aging. Ha!

xo ET

Hi, Anne — good for you, and good for your husband!

ET, I do my fasts a bit differently, based on the only info I ever read about this diet — which was The Fast Diet book. I haven’t even allowed myself to think about any other ways of doing the fast days. I always have about 200 cals for breakfast (around 7 to 8 a.m.) which is usually cottage cheese and fruit or eggs and an orange. Then I eat nothing at all until the dinner meal which is as late as I can make it, usually around 7 or 8 p.m. If Arnie wants to eat earlier, we eat earlier, but usually he gets home and eats late. I have about 2-3 oz of protein and vegetables with maybe a bit of butter or margarine on them. Then I don’t eat anything else till the next morning.

The hardest times are late afternoons when I am tired as well as ravenous, but since I haven’t eaten anything since morning, and I am resolved not to eat anything until supper time, I just suffer. Sometimes I eat as many as six pieces of chewing gum, but that’s it.

After dinner/supper is also tough because that meal does not fill me up! But by then I can tell myself, “It’s almost tomorrow, and I can eat tomorrow.”

I just throw this out in case it helps. Good luck.

P.S. In regard to living forever, I just wrote a blog post about that… sort of. https://successaftersixty.wordpress.com/2015/08/07/to-age-with-vigor-we-must-think-outside-the-box/

I do my fasts a little differently too. I try not to eat anything in the morning because I find once I eat something, my hunger engine starts. I keep that first meal light and have a little more around 6. Wanting that glass of wine is my biggest hurdle/downfall. anne

Hi MaryWWriter,
    this is my first post on this site,Iam 64 and live in UK.I started the 5/2 on May 20th like you I eat breakfast around 8am and supper between 6-7pm. So far I have lost 15lbs in 12wks. 4lbs in the first week and fairly regularly 1lb a week since.Before this as I got older I didn’t seem to have the willpower to stick to a ‘diet’and the lbs gradually crept on.I am finding this amazing and although on some ‘lo-cal’days I struggle a bit I’ve managed to fit it in..I find I stick to a couple of simple evening meals and after a few tryouts much the same breakfast…
    This post is in response to your v.first post!!
    Oh and I do my fasts on Mondays and Thursdays too…

Hi Pamplemoos! Welcome to this thread! What an honour to have received your first post ever!

It sounds like we are on the same path and that we’re about the same age (although you are really just a kid compared to me, as I turned 65 in November.) Like you, I had trouble sticking to any weight-loss program in recent years, and I was beginning to fear that what I was carrying around with me I would carry to the grave (if it didn’t push me into it!) So this is a huge relief in so many ways. My biggest fear right now is that if I go off the routine, I’ll never get back on, so I really need to keep in touch with other people like you who are doing the same thing I am: we are actually changing our lives.

I love your handle: I don’t eat “pamplemouse” any more since it apparently reacts badly with all vitamins, mineral and meds, but I do love it.

Stay in touch. This is a great group.

I had never ever heard of Pamplemoos…had to Google it 🙂 Welcome!

Hi. Welcome Pamplemoos! I eat half a pamplemoos every morning pretty much. I do take vitamin D and hopefully it doesn’t interfere as I take the vitamin later in the day.

It’s nice to hear from some of the others again too. Anne, that’s great that your husband is joining and supporting you. Mine tries to as well, but has a problem with snacks in the evening. ET when I get that 4:00 urge I usually have a cup of coffee with skim milk. It makes me feel full. Wine is also a difficult thing for me and I’ve found I can eat less so that I can still fit in a glass or two of wine. Usually for dinner on FDs I have some slices of deli turkey and a salad. It is hard to wait for bedtime without having anything else but sometimes a few strawberries or grapes helps. Mary, Chapmans is actually a Canadian company (I understand the UK reference though, have spent a lot of time there and they do say lolly). The Super Lolly may not be in every store though.

I read your blog on aging which resonated with me as I’m sure it does with most of us. Sometimes aging scares me or depresses me. I often tell my husband “I just want 10 years back!” I want to be where I am now (e.g. with the things we have done to improve our house and lives) but 10 years ago because I need more time and I can’t believe I’m in my 60s. But I HAVE changed and part of being this age is that I don’t feel that I have to do heroic things anymore if I don’t want to. In the past I often pushed myself to do everything and now I want the choice to slow down a bit if I feel like it.

I should have added, but I also want the choice to do things I want to as well!! And good for you Mary, not to let the stereotypes of age beat you down and make you afraid to take on anything that interests you. Learning new skills is supposed to help keep your brain fit. I think we are all on this diet and forum because we do still want an active future. So keep up the good work everyone!

Hi Mary

I’m here but not posting, as we are on our trip to Europe escaping the Southern Winter. Congrats on sticking to the fasting regime and on the loss of weight. I have put on a little weight while eating out every day. However, I know I can fast it off when we get home. Presently in Budapest, having a heatwave. 38C today.

Hi to everyone. Love reading about your progress.
    Cheers, Bay 🙂

Just want to wish everyone a good weekend before I head off to Muskoka (a beautiful part of Ontario where there are lots of lakes) for four days. BayLeafOz, I envy your being in Budapest! Enjoy!

Kathcan, thanks for the feedback on the blog post. My basic solution for the panic of running out of time is to remind myself that people in their 70s and 80s are still doing lots of stuff that people that age didn’t do even 20 years ago. And yes, that’s part of the motivation to get this weight off and get more active: it’s a way of buying time. I’ve got two active, interesting friends in their 90s and they inspire me.

I’ve looked up the Super Lolly now: I do know Chapman’s of course: their ice cream is well known in these parts. Will check one out, but not on a fast-day. If I start with anything sweet on FDs, I’m in trouble!

Kathcan, I hear you…we seem to approach this ‘journey’ in similar ways. Mary, I liked your piece on aging and subscribed to your blog. What both you and Kathcan say certainly resonates. Bay and Mary, enjoy your trips! Anne

You all are so inspiring! I decided not to wait to jump back in, -it was something about your “back in the saddle” comment, Mary, hehe- so did a fast day on Friday. I was hungry, cranky, and had a headache by the afternoon, but did it anyway. Thank you all for posting your strategies for fasting. That really helped, especially knowing it isn’t always that easy. One thing I did was make a list of errands I needed to run, and went out late-ish in the afternoon to drive around getting them all done. That is my hardest part of the day, and that worked!
    So I am fasting again today, and plan to on Thursday again. Some of the weight loss I am reading about here just makes me believe that if we do the diet, it will work.

Mary, I hope you had a wonderful weekend, I will check out your video. Bay good to hear from you, enjoy Budapest! Welcome, Pamplemoos, your story of not being able to stick to traditional diets resonates with me. Anne, I am jealous that your husband us fasting too- that must make it easier! My husband is a pretty good weight, so probably can’t convince him:( And I agree, Kathcan, it is good to remember the real reason for keeping our weight down is to have as active a future as possible!
    Have a great start to the week everyone!
    xo ET

Hi Everyone!

I’ve just started the diet and I’m on my second fast day today. You’re all so inspiring!

I’m 66 and I’m a Brit living long-term in Japan, single mum, three grown up sons. I’ve been overweight for years and in the last five I managed to get my weight down from 80kgs to 65 (I’m pretty short). My doctor is pushing for five more kilos off and you’d think it would be easy, right? Nothing works. I’m pinning my hopes on this, I’ve had really good reports from friends in the UK so I thought I’d give it a try.

Not really very good at going to the gym or jogging or whatever. I’m a swimmer and a walker basically. Japan is disgustingly hot and humid right now so the pool is the best place to be. I’ll be off after doggy has had his walkies.

Bye for now!

Hi, Silversue! Welcome to our merry little band of happy losers. How cool to be living in Japan (I think it would be anyway)! I am a real fan of the writing of Hakuri Murakami and every time I read one of his books (in translation, of course) I am more eager to visit Japan.

ET64: Good for you! I also find late afternoon the hardest: it’s a good time to get outside and do some gardening or to go for a walk or do errands like you did: anything but think about your stomach!

I had a great holiday, but I’m really having to talk myself into a good space this morning. As I’ve just explained on the August challenge thread, I fasted three days last week because I knew I was going to be on a mini-holiday for four days and might not stick to my TDEE. Which I did not. They have the best ice-cream cones in the world in Huntsville at a little stand on main street and twice I indulged in that, but I asked for one scoop only. Also I had an apple strudel one night as part of a (too rich but delicious) three-course dinner. But mainly I ate reasonably. We were active during the day — cycling for two hours one day, canoeing for three hours another day, swimming every day,, and always walking instead of driving. Yesterday, on our drive home day, I fasted. And guess what? I gained two pounds. 🙁

Today is my grandson’s fourth birthday, so I’m going over to help with the party. My son’s in Scotland doing some taping for the television show he co-hosts, so I’ll be sticking around to help my daughter-in-law put the twins and the four-year-old to bed, and I’ll be back there tomorrow to do the same. It’s great to be with the kids but totally exhausting. Maybe I’ll wear off the 2 lbs again!

Anne, thanks for reading the post: I’m glad you liked it. It’s nice to be in touch on FB too.

Have a great day all!

Hi Silversue, nice to hear from you. I was lucky enough to travel to Japan for a week through work and took my daughter, 17 at the time. We were in beautiful Kyoto; it was an experience my daughter and I share that we will never forget!

ET I agree, keeping busy like that helps and shopping/running errands is one of the best ways to pass the time. Anne, thanks for your comments. The nice thing about this group is we are all at the same stage of our journey. Mary, I know what you are going through. My son and his wife were here for a few days and I skipped Monday’s usual FD. I ate more food, snacks, desserts etc. but the difference for me was I ended up feeling very ill and getting the runs in an extreme way. It was like my stomach refused to accept this little deviance from the pattern and rejected everything. That was last night and this morning my weight was back down again, so that’s some compensation I guess!

I decided to do a FD today to make up for Monday and I’ll see if I’m up to doing it again tomorrow because on Friday I’ll be going to my daughter’s for a baby shower they are holding there on Saturday. I’ll try to be good!

Hello Ladies

I am an Australian living in Papua New Guinea. I have been doing 5:2 since Feb this year. Initially, I joined to support my husband in is quest for a lighter and healthier life. We still fast twice a week. My husband has lost 15kgs approx and is still dropping weight. I have lost about 10kgs and I am also still losing although no where near as much as Hubby. I have slowed down lately…probably because my BMI is in normal range whilst his is still overweight.

I like 5:2. It is simple and easy. I don’t really count calories much. We just don’t tend to eat on fast days…maybe a cup of miso broth. On eating days, we eat healthy foods but don’t worry to much about calories. I use quality produce and try to keep foods whole by steering clear of processed stuff. So, it’s been good for us.

I guess what I have learnt is that it’s a slow way to lose weight but the health benefits are excellent. I enjoy the mental sharpness I get from fasting and I believe my memory has improved considerably. I am also happier and more relaxed. I sleep better too.

I have read many threads and I find this one so kind and supportive. I am nearing the age of 60 and honestly, life has never looked brighter. My goal is to continue in this way of life and to extract ourselves out of PNG over the next 2 to 3 years. We plan to live in New Zealand and travel more.

We have 5 children and one lovely son-in-law. No Grand kidlets yet and to be honest, I can’t see any prospective children in the near future. The kids are happy so I am good with whatever gives.

Thank you for your great support here and I hope I can contribute and get to know you better via this thread.

Hi, Expat, and welcome to our thread! Your comments on 5:2 are very reassuring, and helpful! I am moving closer to the “normal weight” range now, so maybe that’s why things are slowing down.

As far as the grandbabes, when I was your (young) age I figured my kids would never get around to having kids and now I have five grandchildren (seven, if you count those of my new husband. It still sounds weird to say “husband.”) So you never know what will happen!

I would love it if you would continue to contribute here. I have definitely been feeling a bit discouraged after the last week, and seeing that others have carried on and continue to lose weight, even slowly, is very helpful. Like you, I am also enjoying the fact that I feel like my mind works better, especially on FDs.

Today I am going to attempt to successfully complete a fast day while also helping my d-in-l out with the twins, who are crawling everywhere and never in the same direction, and my grandson who turned four yesterday and is probably still in sugar-withdrawal mode. Wish me luck!

Welcome Expat and Silversue! We are spreading around the world! I totally dived on my fast yesterday…arrgg. Sat with my husband having a glass of wine and lovely conversation about myriad whatevers and and we ended up eating ‘fast food’ and totally ignoring the Fast. Just have to start again. I have never found a fast day easy, but sometimes I can get in the groove and do okay. Have to go in search of the groove again. It’s 50s/70s here in the middle of August…wonderful. Take care. Anne

Mary and PG1…thank you for your welcome.

Mary, I do have plateaus and they can make you wonder why…which is when I remember the other wonderful benefits fasting brings. I understand it gets tough. But you are building a great future for you and your new husband (so nice). It does get easier too!

I weighed myself this morning after my Monday and Thursday fast. Now in the last three weeks, I lost 300g (about .6 of a lb) but this week, I lost 400g (about .9 of a lb) in the one week. So my BMI is now 24.8…top end of normal. Plateaus…it’s all about sticking to the way of life I guess.

I must admit that my hormones are playing up with me at the moment and I do have down days. Biggest thing I try to do is avoid added sugar and hormones can make that hard. In years past, I would bust out anything sweet. Now I find that the fasting has made me far less inclined to eat cakes, chocolate, biscuits…the thought of them is quite off putting. If I want a hit of sweet, I am tempted by banana with greek yogurt and honey. My tastes have really changed. But that has been a gradual process over many months.

I guess I am saying it gets easier the longer you hang in there.

So tomorrow I am going to a party with my husband and am wondering what I can wear as I want to show off the lack of me 🙂

You are all such a lovely group. Hang in there! We can help eachother.

Anne…that is what I like about 5:2. You can drink wine and share a takeaway…and just make it up another day.

Sorry you can struggle…I have really easy days and some tough ones. Which is why I tend not to eat at all on fast days…I find it simpler to think NO FOOD than WHAT SOUND I EAT TODAY and get tempted.

I also consume huge amounts of fluid on fast days…herb teas, water with lemon, sometimes water with a dash of sea salt (stops headaches) or cider vinager. Many times, when you think you are hungry, it’s just thirst.

And if it gets really tough….I go to bed. Tricks my brain into thinking time for sleep. So I read for a bit and pass out.

Whatever works. Hunger doesn’t kill you. Thank the goddess HA HA XXX

Just checking in quickly — we have company coming for dinner in a bit, and she is bringing a peach flan for dessert. I shall be indulging in that, and yesterday was a birthday party and there was cake. It is SO hard to stay under the TDEE with so many social activities, and already September is looking similarly busy. I may have to learn to say No even on NFDs. But I’ll do a fast day tomorrow (I still haven’t “cheated” on one of those) and hope for the best on Tuesday a.m. Tuesday we’re off to Stratford to see a play, which means lunch and dinner out. And so it goes…

I’m making a list of all the handles of people who’ve contributed to this thread with their places of residence. I think it’s one of the most international threads around. Wonder if there’s an award for that. 😉 I’ll post it once I’ve found time to complete it.

Fast day today. Hope everyone has a good day and week. Anne

Hi have been away over the weekend so no posts!! My fast day today too prairiegrass!! Decided to try going without breakfast(apart from a couple of cups of tea of course!!)Went shopping inc supermarket and survived until I got home…One fried egg in 3 sprays of 1 cal oil on a dry slice of bread-still tasted good oh a dozen bluberries..supper will be a big salad with prawns,follwed by 100g of strawberries..can you tell I’m looking forward to it..Weight loss is really slowing up may just have to be a bit more energetic!! Would love to take off another 6lbs…Hi to everyone..

Viewing 50 posts - 201 through 250 (of 363 total)

You must be logged in to reply.