Any fasting friends in Ireland?

This topic contains 152 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  tigerluly88 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 153 total)

• Im just wondering if there are any fasters in Ireland?. It would be great to support and encourage eachother on our weight loss journey!

Sue 🙂

Yes.i,ve just started today.

Yes, have been on 5:2 for the last six weeks. So far so good.

hi there just started yesterday – could do with some support and chat with others from ireland. hoping to get down to a reasonable size for christmas – well a stone or so would be nice!

Hi. Also from the green isle. Just completed first week – ended up doing 4:3 as I changed my fast days to Monday and Thursday but am down 5lbs! I know that a lot if that is water but I haven’t seen such a thrilling drop in the scales in many a year. Hoping for another pound this week. Good luck everyone!

Hey there,
    Great to see a few Paddies on here! 😉
    I am hoping to lose a stone by Christmas. Starting at 11st 12. I lost 2 lb the first week and nothing the 2nd- so I gave up!!!! So typical of me. 🙁

Anyway, I am giving this another shot- and have vowed to stick with it this time. Looking forward to starting on Mon. I kno thats ages away, but with my hubby (to be) off this week, I figured it would make sense to start when he goes back to work. 🙂

Great loss of 5lbs Irishtrier- u must be delighted. ;).

Cathyoh I reckon we can lose a stone by Christmas definitely! For me, that would be the best Christmas pressie ever. 🙂

Im from Dublin by the way- where’s everyone else from?

Sue x

I’m from the real capital Cork. Yes was delighted with the 5 lbs but started at a higher weight (12st 7) and hoping for a 1 lb loss this week. Anne

Hey everyone
    day three for me – so far so good! delighted to see sue is looking to aim for a stone by christmas as well – sure we can do it as long as we keep motivated sue.
    Irish trier well done on the 5lb loss – who cares if it is water as well as fat – it shows on the scales and must be showing a bit in your cloths as well – win -win as far as i am concerned.
    tempted to try 4:3 this week as the motivation is high and it might kick start the fat burning.
    how is everyone else doing?

Hi all I am in Wicklow. I have been on here 8 months I never met an Irish person till now! Since Feb I have lost about 2 stone and several inches. I am now at maintenance and I feel brilliant! I will stick with the 5;2 for life, and I have combined it with low carb on non fast days. I completely gave up processed foods but I do eat lots and I drink alcohol ,and still manage to maintain, as long as I keep up my 2 fast days pw. I do some exercise but not a huge amount. Its lovely to meet you all. Drop me a message if you want to chat.

Hey all,

Im really excited to get started with this on Mon!

Wow Cathy, good on ya considering the 4:3. You are lot braver than me. Im sure it will be worth it at the end of the week when you see the results.

Hi Kindle, what a fantastic weight loss! 2 stone down is only a pipe dream for me right now. Maybe some day though. 🙂 I’m especially loving the part about you still being able to drink alcohol… I do enjoy my wine and the odd beer (coors lite). 😉
    Hope u are all having a fab day
    🙂

Hi everyone
    day three nearly over- done my second fast day today not too bad – lots of water some coffee and a nice dinner of fish and roasted vegtables
    like you missoptimistic i am loving the part where kindle said we can still have alcohol – i am partial to the odd glass of wine!Thanks for the added motivation Kindle!!
    Hope you all had a good healthy day

Hi everyone,

I too am from Ireland’s ‘real capital’ and have subscribed to this thread as one of two current favourites, the other being “Anyone want to join me: Christmas pledge” where a bunch of us share progress and help each other out to lose a lb a week to Christmas.

Kindle, I find stories like yours very inspiring since maintenance is a goal for most of us I’m sure.

Let’s keep in touch, or as we say, onwards and downwards!

Ellie

I’m in the North, Bangor by the sea. 56 years old. Started on 1st September at 227 lbs and am down to 212 lbs – a loss of 15 lbs. Not too bad I suppose. Am finding it very easy not to eat anything between meals on normal days and to fast on the fast days. I actually look forward to the fast days. Have not started any exercise yet but intend to try some HIT quite soon.

I have a pair of those Tanita scales that measure lots of things. My BMI started at 33.1 and is now down to 32.1, visceral fat from 17 to 16 with a target of 12 or below, body fat 32.7 down to 31.9. Also keeping a record of my blood pressure and heart rate and its also falling slowly.

The great thing about this system is that its completely doable and doesn’t feel like a prison sentence. My wife is doing this along with me and her results are similar or better. We are eating healthier food and are more selective about what we eat. We have cut down on takeaway food and as a reward we go out once a fortnight to a restaurant.

I wish I had known about this sooner in life, but I reckon I’m pretty lucky to be starting this in a postion of good health. In combination with sensible exercise I think this system is going to change our lives for the better.

Lots of thanks to Michael Mosley. He was on the Nolan show earlier this week and he said people in the UK live as long as people in the rest of Europe but the big difference is, the people in the UK generally don’t have a healthy existance and rely on medication to keep them going. It would be nice not to have to rely on tablets as we get older.

I weigh myself every day and somedays I will find that my weight stays the same or even goes up, but then it continues to fall to where I had been and below. Last weekend we went out on Saturday night for a meal and on Sunday we decided to have some chocolate. Ate far too much of the stuff and deliberately finished off a big bar so it wouldn’t be in the house on Monday. I felt bad doing it but did it all the same. Needless to say put on 2.5lbs by Tuesday but have lost that plus another half pound by today.

I think the key to all this is having a partner or buddy who understands what its all about. It really does work but it surprises me to find that people don’t believe it could work or that they wouldn’t be able to fast. Its alarming that so many of us have been sleep walking into obesity and we need to save ourselves and our children before its too late.

The 5 2 Fast diet has the potential to permanently reverse the nutritional damage society has inflicted on itself, and it only takes a little effort and discipline.

I can honestly say I’ve never eaten as well.

Hi everyone!
    I started my 5:2 this week, currently on my second fast day. The first one wasn’t too bad, but finding it tougher today. Reading some of your weight loss results has inspired me and gave me some hope! I’m getting married next summer and need to lose around a stone and a half. If I could lose a good chunk of that before Christmas I’d be delighted because I will have my first wedding dress fitting in January.

Hi everyone
    just checking in to see how you are all doing. Weekend here – do you find it more of a challenge to stick to diet over the weekend? I have been very motivated since i started this on tuesday however i did have 2 (large) glasses of wine last night!I hope this does not show up on the scales when i have my first weigh in next tuesday morning

Hi all,

Managing well as I near the end of my second week. I am finding the fast days easier already – though I think my brain misses the sugar! I find myself forgetting things on my fast day – like where I put my bankcard for example!! Still it will be worth it if this works out as I am sick of yo yoing.

Cathyoh – that wine was to be enjoyed! I have gone over my TDEE on a least half of the days and still lost weight – granted I do exercise every day.

Twobins – your story is inspirational!

Keep going everyone!

Hi.planning to start my fast day on Tuesday and my other on Thursday. Any tips

hi moll73
    tips so far that are working for me (only finishing my first week) are:

start the day with water and keep on drinking it!

make a large pot of vegetable soup ( i put in onion, garlic, small bit of ginger,

bayleaf, carrots,mushrooms, very small bit of parsnip, brocli and peas) blend it up and have it throughout the day when you start to feel hungry

plan and shop for what meal(s) you are going to have well in advance as i find it hard to think of very low calorie meals when i am hungry

remember portion size is important!

measure yourself as i find this is very motivating(bust,waist,hips, thighs, top of arms,calf) In the first instance because i was horrified ! and secondly because you might see more change in measurements then on the scales and this can give you a big boost
    I know i should say exercise because it makes perfect sense as it will keep you busy as well as burn calories and tone muscle ( i just haven’t started this myself yet!!)

hope this is helpful

how is everyone else doing?

Hi everyone,

So I finally started properly today. Im being very positive and determined this time round!

This morning I had my cup of tea with milk and sugar- this is something I cannot do without, so im quite happy to use some of my precious calorie allowance for this. Ive been sipping water throughout the morning but about an hour ago, I got seriously hungry….I ended up having a cup of Bovril and all I can say is WOW! It was so satisfiying and tasty. Im delighted because now I know that I can have this to keep me going til dinner and with only 20 cals per cup, its a no brainer. 😉
    How is everybody else getting on. Btw really good tips Cathyoh! Will take a few of them on board myself! Am I right in saying you have ur first weigh in tomorrow? ? Exciting- dying to know how you get on!
    Hope everyone else is doing great. 🙂

Sue

Yes, I just joined, but, more importantly, the reason I joined is that someone has formed an Irish group or forum, which I am trying to find. Should you find it first, please let me know, I will do likewise!

Oops, I have found it, I think you have too!

Yes I founded it! 😉

Welcome! Great to have lots of Irish companions around. 🙂

I agree!

I am considering going on the diet, I am currently giving my current diet a last effort. To be fair to them, it is all my fault, I had fallen off the wagon in a major way, sausages in the petrol station, if you must know! I am anxious to work out how to do this diet (it can be done in conjunction with my current one) I think I need a plan as I cook for my wife and daughter, so I will need other stuff for myself, I am also keen on tips for how to survive the fast days, eg the bovril and the soup.

Its very encouraging to see so much progress here, I wish all of you the best of health.

I joined this site today but I started at the end of July
    Real honest? I have only managed the first 2 weeks with 2 fasting days… the rest of the time it’s more like 6:1… 🙁
    Nonetheless I have lost 4 kg (about 8 pounds)!
    I run 2 or 3 times a week – and the other days walk between 5 and 7 km (West Cork hilly roads…) and what the fasting days seemed to have done is to kickstart my metabolism – which for a 51 old female with hypothyroidism is great news!

Yes, I agree totally with Moon. My metabolism was very sluggish before I started the 5;2 in Feb. Even if I did not eat much, I still put on weight. Now my metabolism is in fit shape and I feel warmer which is a sign , I believe. I am amazed at how much I can eat and drink now without putting on weight. I feel like all my dreams have come true. I dont count cals on non fast days, its not necessary now. My body has really changed and I feel energetic and healthy. Its so liberating, I cant praise this WOL enough. After years, or decades of yo yoing ,this feels almost too good to be true…… Lets hope this is a permanent change. I am 53 so I know exactly how you feel , Moon. WELL DONE !!!!

Hi everyone
    first weigh in today – yipee lost 3 lb but more importantly lost inchs from bust, hips and waist. Delighted just need to keep on track no and keep the motivation up. how is everyone else doing?

Hi all,
    Kindle I want to be in your shoes!! Terrific! End of week 2 for me and I have lost another 2lbs. That is 7 lbs in total-delighted as I (ahem) stopped calorie counting on Sunday as had visitors and lots of food was involved. Best of luck to all.

Thanks for your words Kindle! It’s great to know that it can happen!

Hi everyone! End of week 3 and I am down 1.4 lbs this week. Weight loss is slowing but all going in the right direction. I need to focus better on my non fast days but hardly think of food on my fast days now. How is everyone getting along??

Hi everyone,
    Have been on this intermittently for last 4 weeks. First 5-6 lbs came off really easy but seem to be stuck. Trying 4:3 this week in the hopes it will kick start me again. On fast day 3 and no weight loss!! though know it can take a few days to show on the scales. Could do with some encouragement though from those of you that managed to successfully kick start the weight loss again.

Hi riffraff:

The average weight loss for men/women combined on 5:2 is about one pound a week. Congratulations on your above average weight loss!

What may be happening is you experienced some initial, additional water weight loss. Some of that water weight often comes back, but that water weight is offset by fat weight loss caused by the diet. When your body gets back in rough balance, the fat weight loss will show up and your weight loss will resume.

Here are some tips – number 2 might help: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi. I’m now on week 3 and i haven’t measured or weighed myself since but I definitely feel it in my clothes.. I find the fast days ok but I definitely would agree to the planning of recipes . Fail to plan . Plan to fail… So will let yo know how I get on when I weigh.

Its impossible for me to fasting..but i loss my weight in my way..and am successful.

Still sticking to the plan – finding it surprisingly easy to be honest – hopefully this can become a way of life. I’m lucky in that my wife is doing this with me – so we can plan our fast days and all our meals in advance. I embarked on a diet back in 2011 that involved eating normally but absolutely nothing between meals – the Fast diet without the Fast! Luckily I kept a record of my weight loss. I started the 5 2 Fast diet on 1st September this year and in 46 days I have lost 21 lbs. Back in 2011 the same weight loss took me 88 days, so this gives me encouragement that the two day fast per week is paying off.

I’m now reaching the stage when back in 2011 my weight loss became stuck within a 4 lb fluctuation. It will be interesting to see if this new eating plan helps me break through that barrier. I haven’t started any of the HIT exercise yet because I want to see if the diet alone will break through that barrier. If it doesn’t then I’ll start the exercise.

Hi all,

End of week 4 and down another pound. That is 9.4 lbs in 4 weeks! YIPPEE! I am holding my breath that this weight loss continues as the fast days get easier. Still going over TDEE on non fast days but its working…. How are you all doing?

Thats great, Irishterrier, well done!! Dont worry too much about going over your TDEE if its still working. Some people have to stick to the TDEE rule and I did for a while, but I found it wasnt necessary later. After about 6 months of 5;2, I found I could stop counting cals on non fast days and still loose weight. Here I am another 3 months later and I am now at maintenance ….still not counting cals on non fast days. And Im eating LOADS!! Anyone got an explanation?? I also feel well and healthy.

Cant believe my 3rd week and I have 9lbs of. I have to say i was nervous starting it but actually finding the fast days was. Once there’s a plan in place. I also find since I started my non fast days I’m alot better than I was before i started. Suffer headaches some of the time but I think that’s because I’m not drinking enough..

Well done Moll73! That is a fantastic result. Hope that all are enjoying their bank holiday weekend. I fasted on Wed and Friday this week, hoping to avert some anticipated damage at the w/e. Out jazzing last night – so going to forget fast this w/e and get back on track on Tuesday!!

Well how did you get on after your good weekend out. I would of had a similar weekend just gone with Halloween

I am at a plateau at the moment – fast days are going well but the other days are too feasty!! Still in other regimes I would have put back on pounds. Last week was so bad weather wise, that I only got a walk in – couldn’t face a run – so my exercise was down also. Back on track this week after the sos beag and lets hope the scale is kind next Tuesday.

Down another pound this week – YIPPEE. I am especially pleased as I was away from home for three days this week and enjoyed the dinners and the full Irish breafasts! So I am really happy to be still on a downward trajectory. This week should be a pretty standard one, so fingers crossed for further success… how is everyone else doing??

Well done Irish trier. Hope to weigh tomorrow but like yourself my fast days are good but non fast I’m been too good to myself.

I hope that the tri-colour is still flying on this thread and that folks are quietly celebrating their losses! I am down 0.5 pound this week- I know I am desperate when I start counting ounces! But I know the reason – over-eating on “normal” days. This week, I plan to write down my meals for the day in advance of eating them so that I know what I am eating and count the calories. Allowing my “natural appetite” to determine my intake doesn’t work when I am dealing with a tigerish untrained appetite! Good luck to all this week!

Hi Irish, well my losses have stalled for a few weeks. I had reached maintenance, but then I decided I would like to loose a couple of extra lbs. But this seems impossible! I hate counting cals on non fast days, and most of the time on 5;2 I didnt have to do it, I lost anyway. So, to avoid counting cals now I have decided to eat within a 6 hour window on non fast days ie for 12 30 to 6 30pm. I am working harder than ever before with these last 3 lbs!!! It is a real battle!!!

Well done kindle to be that far on. I’m staying the same now after my 9 lb weight loss but need to look alot closer at my non fast days. But I have to say feeling better in my clothes so that speaks volumes. I feel more in control of my food intake doing the fast days and it definitely makes you rethink all of our eating habits. I hope we will have more people to join in to help is all on this journey…

“Reached maintenance” – them there’s magic words, kindle and a state that I have never in my life reached – or at least since I was in my early 20s. The last few pounds do crawl (and with my impatience I could never stick at that stage). However I am beginning to have hope that this 5:2 is sustainable (even if it is slow).

That loose clothes feeling is great isn’t it moll? I put on a pair of trousers that
    I haven’t worn for ages and they are snug but not tight.

Fast day again today and just went over TDEE by 45 cals yesterday – so better….

Well done Irish trier. I guess I’m not been strict enough with my calories. I do leave everything to what’s in my head and what i think the cals are. I’m going to go back to the book and going to make a better effort. You have just inspired me. I bet u feel great. Give us some tips even for all the quiet Irish troop..

Well I don’t think that I have achieved enough to start giving tips but something that has worked better for me this week is to enter my food that I plan to eat for my three meals onto my fitness pal in the morning. That spells out for me exactly what the calories are and how much extra I have to play with. This seems to work better for me than estimating (low) and then entering and finding out that I have eaten 2,300! So far I have kept below TDEE this week. We are eating out in Milanos tonight and when I looked up the menu this am, the first item that popped up was their new salad which is labelled as “even works on the 5:2 diet”. So I took that as a sign- not that I am planning to go for the salad- Leggera American Hot is more my line!
    Keep up the good work folks!

Cancel last post! I am the oracle!!! (JOKE!) Last week, pre posting calories on my fitness pal meant that I stayed below my TDEE on 2 of the “normal” days, stayed below 2000 on a third day. Saturday was 2189 and I stopped counting on Sunday….. Wednesday and Monday were my fast days, one at 560 and the other at 760 – so you could hardly call it a perfect week. But weight today is down FOUR POUNDS – yes you read that right 4 LBS!!!! I am amazed (and delighted). That is 15.5 lbs in 8 weeks or very close to 2 lbs per week. My BMI has gone from 29.1 – shading into obesity to 26.6 – heading to normal. I really can’t believe it….
    This loss has really rocketed my motivation as proves as stated in other posts many times that with 5:2, it is a case of keeping on keeping on..

Hello, I am in Dublin and have been fasting Mon and Thurs for the last 5 weeks – with one week of only one fast day in there. I am down 4lbs today which I am happy with. I’m not being too strict on the feast days but have a vague eye on the calories…if I could keep going this way I’d be very happy. I have a friend who lost 2 stone doing this a year ago, he has kept the weight off and is really happy. Am having lunch (soup) and porridge for dinner. Can’t go without porridge! Good luck to all.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 153 total)

You must be logged in to reply.