Women Versus Men

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  dlroseberry 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• My husband (63 years) and I (60 years) have been on the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet since April 14, 2013. He is a personal trainer who spends his day exercising along with his clients, challenging them to do better than he does. He is physically active all day from 8:30 in the morning to often 9:00 at night. Even so, he sails through fast days on a breakfast of two teaspoons of yogurt, a handful of blueberries and tea with stevia. He eats the remainder of his calories when he comes home at night. I, on the other hand, am retired though quite active and I struggle through fast days. The differences between how we respond to the diet are huge. Consequently I’ve given a lot of thought to Chapter 1 of “The Fast Diet” book which describes the feast/famine lifestyle of our ancestors. What occurred to me was that, while it’s true that men were chasing down prey animals and then gorging once the hunt was successful, the activity of women was different; they were gathering. Women were picking nuts, berries, seeds and grains and women were tempting their children to eat by example. As a woman who grew up on a farm and still follows the gathering ways of my mother and grandmother, I know that while I’m gathering, I pop a few berries into my mouth. I’ll eat a tomato as I pick tomatoes for supper. And as I preserve or prepare food, I taste what I’m preparing. When I’m actively doing these things, I don’t stop for a meal but I do lightly graze. Mimi Spencer mentions that she finds it hard to make it through 12 hours without an “apple for lunch”. I also find that a bit of fruit in the 12 hours makes it more tolerable though I worry that the very health benefits I’m seeking are then jeopardized. So while the Chapter 1 reference to our evolution may have been what convinced me that Dr. Mosley, and all of the researchers he cites, were really on to something, it seems to me that the differences between the evolution of women and the evolution of men really needs to be factored in and fully explored. So, for the sake of us struggling women, MORE RESEARCH PLEASE.

I actually find that if I have breakfast it sets me off and I’m hungry all day. I found that I am nothing like Mimi. I actually go without any meals until dinner so that I can have one meal that is up to 500 calories. Or a meal and some fresh fruit for dessert.

My husband really struggles with the way I fast and he is considering adding breakfast in to his regime.

I’m not so sure the stereotypes set out in the book are correct. Or more research is needed as you suggested. Some posts by others have said they like to graze on things. One person mentioned they have a cherry tomato at regular intervals through out the day to stave off hunger.

One stereotype certainly is true though. My husband always loses more weight than I do. 🙁

I get that, somewhat.

It still doesn’t explain why women are better looking?

My husband is the grazed and i go until 3pm without anything now just water and tea. So in not sure about that also in losing more weight.

You need to be careful with these hunter-gatherer metaphors. Remember that prehistoric human life style varied a lot and we inherit genes from both our mother and our father. Some genes are imprinted or sex linked, but these cases are few.

Woman or man, there’s just a lot of variability in how we like to eat. Dr. Mosley needs to eat breakfast, while I tend to only want to eat in late afternoon and evening. I have always been able to go without food for long periods of time without any problem, while a friend of mine always carries food with him because he just can’t stand fasting for even short periods, (he’s slender and I’m the one who has a tendency to be fat).

I have a variable work schedule and it’s much easier to fast if I’m occupied and it’s easier if I’m away from home. Having the food easily available makes it so hard for me. When I’m working hard, I can only eat if I’ve brought something with me (not able to get to a store or cafe). Then fasting is so easy, I hardly notice because I’m distracted and it’s impossible for me to get food so I just don’t think about it at all. It’s obviously psychological and it’s amazing how much difference it makes.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.