Women and fasting pros and cons

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  janetj 8 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I have been reading a lot of different articles about the pros and cons about intermittent fasting on women. I was wondering if anybody out there who has been fasting for a while has experienced any negative or positive aspects of fasting and if there are any health concerns. My mum and I are three weeks into our fast and I was just curious as my mother is post menopausal and I am in my 30s and overweight.

Hi Veracasep, I am a 63 year old post menopausal female and have been fasting since September. I have lost 10 kg despite taking a three week break over Christmas. My experience has been very positive. My blood pressure is stable without medication. I feel more energetic and positive about my chances of maintaining my weight loss with this way of life. One of the most positive side effects for me is my feet and ankles are swelling less, my shoes fit comfortably all day and there is less pressure on developing bunions and corns! I cannot think of any negatives.

Hi, I am interested in the possible cons of fasting for women. My husband and I did the 5:2 very successfully for a year with both of us dropping a substantial amount of weight. However when we got our bloods done his had all dropped and mine had all gone UP! Raised cholesterol, raised insulin (pre diabetic) and raised blood pressure. I was shocked. I stopped fasting as I read where it can have a adverse reaction on women’s adrenal glands and in studies raised insulin levels. I was really disappointed as I felt really great when fasting….I now eat only from lunch time and have reduced my carb and sugar intake hugely. However I would like to give fasting another go. Have you any thoughts on the way in which women fast that may affect them differently? I used to go all day on liquids only and eat my 500 cals in the evening. I am wondering if splitting the cals would have a better effect for someone like me? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks

That’s quite interesting Jungheart. I started fasting but found it wreaked havoc on my moods and I am not a moody person. I do 16:8 as an alternative and find eating from lunch onwards more bearable. I am losing weight which is great but have there been any studies on the effects on bone density with women being the test subject at the different stages of their lives. Your story is quite concerning as increased cholesterol, insulin and blood pressure are all quite dangerous.

Jungheart,

Have you had bloods redone since you have stopped fasting? And are the results ‘normal’ again now?

Thanks for that reply, I am 62 and also feeling very fit and well on 5:2 and was a bit scared when I saw stuff saying it was dangerous for women and can cause ‘metabolic damage’ or something. I don’t see how a couple of days of 500 calories can cause that much harm and I love the 5:2 and I don’t feel hungry at all !!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.