Will pigging out one day of the week prevent me from losing weight??

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Will pigging out one day of the week prevent me from losing weight??

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sassygirlie89 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi I have been following the 5:2 diet for over a month now but have not lost weight because I was not following it properly due to a miscalculation of my TDEE during non fast days of the week!

This is my first proper week of following it perfectly. I calculated my TDEE properly and the result was 1620 calories to be consumed during the non fast days.

In order for me to lose weight more effectively and efficiently I have only consumed relatively healthy foods that have clocked up to 1200/1300 calories during my non fast days of the week. Of course I have only consumed 500 calories on my fast days as well!!

So my main question is, is it ok to pig out and go way over my calorie count (lets say between 2,000 and 3,000 calories) on ONE day of the week such as a Saturday and still lose weight effectively? I plan on ordering some sort of a takeaway tomorrow night be it a Chinese, a pizza or a chippy; burger and chips!

Just to add I am not overweight but I’m only just about a healthy weight weighing around 10 stone maybe slightly less and standing at 5 ft 3 inches tall. I plan on losing between 10 to 12 pounds but still need to incorporate an exercise routine which I haven’t done in over 7 weeks!!

Hi Sassy:

Weight loss is a numbers game, whether you like it or not. It also works on averages, not daily numbers. So, if you eat for two days at 500 calories, and average 1620 for the remaining five, you should lose about a half a pound a week. That number will vary with the water weight and ‘weight in transit’ you are carrying on the day you weigh in.

This will help with the numbers: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Dear Sassygirl, as Simcoluv says, losing weight is a numbers game – and it’s all down to engery in “calories” -via- energy out your “TDEE” and, as you probably know, you need 3,500 calories less over a period of time to lose one pound. I am 5ft 4in and weighed 10st 10lbs when I started 5:2 in February by the beginning of June I weighed 9st 2lbs. During those four months I had many days of “pigging out” as you put it, but I still managed to lose 21lbs. As long as you compensate the “pigging out” days with 500 calorie fast days you will, over time, lose weight. This is why the diet works because you don’t have to stick rigidly to a calorie controlled diet every single day but you do need to understand that if you consume more that 3,500 calories over your TDEE, that, in order to lose weight, you’ll need to minus those 3,500 calories, plus more, if you want to continue to lose weight. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress :-))

Hi ElaineFriend! That is a remarkable weight loss well done!!

Thank you for your advise too! I am glad to hear that you can pig out once in a while and still lose weight as long as it is not too excessive.

Although I was fairly sure that I probably would still lose weight gradually as I was finally sticking to the 5:2 diet perfectly and even restricting myself even more, I still needed added reassurance and advise lol!

Yes I will update ye on my progress when I start to see some results 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.