Will I lose weight with the 5:2 if I am already at a healthy BMI?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Will I lose weight with the 5:2 if I am already at a healthy BMI?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  fasting_me 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• I have just recently thought about starting the 5:2 diet because I haven’t seen any more weight loss results in a few weeks. I went from 175 pounds to 152 in the span of six months (July to December 2017). I am still sticking to a similar calorie intake but I have not seen any results in 2018.

Will the 5:2 diet technically make me “gain” weight since I will be increasing my weekly calorie intake from about 9,520 – 10,000 calories a week to 11,000? Or will it help me lose about 0.5-1 pound every week while on this diet?

Additional Info:
    Height: 5′ 6.5
    Current Weight: 152 pounds
    BMI: 24.1

Welcome to the 5:2 forums, alliex2018. You can calculate the amount of calories you need to maintain your present weight or TDEE here: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/ If you subtract the 500 or 600 calories you’ll eat each of your 2 fast days, you’ll be left with the appropriate number of calories you need to maintain your present weight for the remaining non-fasting 5 days. If you eat more than that, you’ll gain weight. If you eat less, you’ll lose.

To answer the question in the title, yes you can lose weight on 5:2 if you are already healthy BMI. I am 177cm tall, and went from 73kg (BMI 23.3) to 65kg (BMI 20.7) in 15 or so weeks on the 5:2 (which I am doing for possible health benefits related to cholesterol and blood sugar, rather than weight loss per se).

BMI is a very vague sort of measurement though. Apparently I could still be ‘healthy’ at 58kg, but I’d look dreadful at that weight I think.

Most definitely. I used the diet to go from 23 to 20.5, with a slow weight loss of about 1kg per month. At this weight I estimate that my body fat was 16% which is about as low as is healthy for a woman. One lesson I learned was that a BMI lower than this would not be healthy for someone with my build

Oh cool! If you don’t mind me asking, how much weight did you lose and how long did it take you to lose it all?

I currently weigh 152 lbs/68.9 kg and my goal weight is 125 lbs/56.7 kg and I hope to lose it all in the next few months.

Yes, alliex, you will lose weight by Fasting, depending on what you eat on Slow Days. I began Fasting to keep my husband company, but I was hoping to lose a stubborn 4 pounds and keep it off. I lost that and more. Since then I have been maintaining that weight loss, with some ups and downs, for 4+ years, with a fat% in the 15 range and a BMI of 18. Nothing wrong with you getting your BMI down a few more points, since 21 is still a healthy BMI.
    Good luck in your journey.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.