What's a recommended Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamins B and D supplement?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
What's a recommended Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamins B and D supplement?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Shamshel 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hi,

I’ve lost 20kg and even though I’m trying to follow the recommended guileless in the Fast800 book, I thought it’d be wise to take a Vitamin supplement, such as Potassium, Magnesium, Vitamins B and D as recommended in the book. I’ve lost 20 kg and I’m quite happy about my weight loss, which I’ve combined with a good level of fitness. Now I’m losing my last 2 or 3 kilos. Any recommendations? (I’m in the UK)

Note that Dr Mosley suggests a supplement containing these minerals and vitamins, rather than those micronutrients alone.

Magnesium is the most difficult to find in a multimineral/ multivitamin supplement: often the dose is low, or it is in a form that is poorly absorbed (eg. sulphate).

Given that your diet has been imbalanced and poorly varied for some time, I would suggest discussing your choice of ‘complete’ supplement with your family doctor, pharmacist or dietician.

HTH!

I guess I’ll have to go to my NHS doctor had tell him. Maybe I should have a blood test done. I had one done something like 4 months ago shortly after I begun my weight loss (I had lost 6 kg or so and was already feeling much better).

I guess you’re right, Thanks a lot.

I agree with Firefox about checking with a doctor. Potassium can be dangerous to supplement because there’s a fine balance of potassium, magnesium and sodium that your body needs. Doctor’s usually recommend against taking potassium supplements without a blood test showing that you are actually deficient in it. I’ve come to the conclusion that unless bloodwork shows I’m low in a nutrient, it’s better not to take a pill, but eat a balanced healthy diet instead.

Congrats on your weight loss! Are you going to continue with 5:2 for maintenance?

Congrats on yr results! For magnesium I’ve started using it in spray form by the Better Yiu company. I also have it in powder marine form. Both are 100% pure. I take this in the evening for better sleep. Magnesium is best found on its own and the other vits as combined b

In the USA, our soils are significantly depleted of essential minerals. Most food production businesses (notice I don’t call them farms) may put fertilizers into the soils for better production, but don’t often spend the $money$ resting and replenishing their soils. Plants absorb and metabolize soil elements and pass them on to us. Take Potassium (“K”), for example. Apparently, people should consume 4,700 mg of K per day. Foods highest in K: beet greens ( rarely find this in my grocery stores), white beans, lima beans. (Notice the ubiquitous banana is not listed?) One cup of each of those equals ~ 3,500mg of K. You still have 1,200 mg to go. Eat a cup of avocado and a cup of sweet potato and you’re finally there – for one day! If you relied on a salad of the healthier, leafy greens, you’d have to eat around 8 cups (don’t drown it in dressing). So with this kind of information, I see no problem in a person – w/ a doctor’s OK – taking a mineral supplement of about 50% of the RDA. There are some nutrients that are just too hard to consume, on a regular basis, or the corollary is that you end up overeating. And that’s just for potassium!

I don’t think only one supplement can combine potassium, magnesium, vitamin B and vitamin D all together. It just seems like too many nutrients for one supplement. And I would assume the quality of the pill wouldn’t be that great. I would recommend instead to take multiple individual supplements that you could phase out during multiple days, so you are not overwhelmed with drinking so much stuff. Or you could opt for a powder form, such as this adaptogen mushroom blend, that has a lot of beneficial nutrients for your health. Personally, that’s my go-to option because I never remember to take all my supplements.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.