Weight loss slowing down

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Weight loss slowing down

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Stinger 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• I have been following the 5/2 diet for 2 months and have not missed a partial fasting day. My fasting day consists of a 550 calorie breakfast and then nothing except green tea, black coffee and water for next 24 hours until the next breakfast. This happens every Monday and Wednesday. I also walk for at least 20 minutes each day.
    I lost half a stone quite rapidly but have now got stuck with very little change in weight at all.
    On my non fasting days I have quite often consumed only 1300/1400 calories per day. I have read that if you repeatedly consume a lot less than the normal number of calories, outside your fasting days the metabolism slows down in order to protect the body and weight loss comes to a halt.
    Am I getting it wrong? Do I need more calories on my non fasting days in order to speed up the metabolism?
    Thanks.
    Philip

Hi philipt and welcome:

There is no such thing as ‘starvation mode’ – see the FAQ at the top of this page. The rule really is the less you eat, the more you lose.

The average weight loss on 5:2 is about a pound a week and you seem to be in that range (7 pounds in 8 weeks).

Just keep on doing what you are doing and your weight loss will probably restart. If you have no weight loss for over a month, you probably should count calories for a diet day and a few non diet days and that will probably identify the problem. If you are currently ‘estimating’ calories eaten, research has shown that most people underestimate their intake by 40% or more.

Here are some tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Sim, read the paper by K D Hall “Modeling Metabolic Adaptations and Energy
    Regulation in Humans”. Page 44:

“Adaptive Thermogenesis and Metabolic Adaptation
    During active weight loss, both RMR and energy expenditure have been observed to decrease to an extent greater than expected based on the measured body weight and composition change. Furthermore, this improved energy efficiency appears to persist once energy balance is established at a lower body weight..”

This would go some way to explain plateau effects. If our bodies do get more efficient when we lose weight it means that weight loss cannot be linear. Some doctors just don’t get that point. If you have lost some of your fat cells, your body uses less energy so a constant set amount of reduction in calories will produce an exponential weight loss curve – exactly what many have seen and what I have experienced. In order to get a more linear weight loss curve (i.e. a straight line), it is required to reduce your intake even further as you lose weight (to maintain the same curve gradient). In other words the weight loss is greater when you are fatter and is slower when you get thinner. Just what we see. All that has happened is that we reach a new lower equilibrium point. We need to unlearn our overeating habits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.