Weight going up, measurements staying the same – what gives

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Weight going up, measurements staying the same – what gives

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Narrabeen2101 7 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hi,
    I have been doing 5:2 since June 2016 and have lost over 20Kg. I walk every day, and go to yoga three times a week. For the last two weeks, my weight has increased by about 600gm each week. So now + 1.2kg, but my measurements haven’t increased. I’m confused. I don’t think I have packed on muscle, I’m eating the same drinking the same and fasting the same.

I’m just at a bit of a loss as to why. I have had ups and downs on my journey, so I know the scale doesn’t always go down but this seems a bit not normal. I’m in my 50s so it isn’t hormonal.

any suggestions? I will keep on keeping on, but I have to be honest and admit I’m feeling a bit down.

Firstly, congratulations on your success. I do know how frustrating it can be when virtue is not rewarded, so here are a couple of basic things to consider.

Any new meds or supplements recently? Any thyroid problems? Have you recalculated your TDEE based on your new lower weight?

If not, your body may simply be needing less food than before. A plateau is not uncommon at your stage as your body becomes more efficient, especially if you are close to goal weight. You might also consider lowering intake on carbs, especially grains/starches/sugars, if you haven’t already done so.

Your measurements haven’t increased, so don’t get too hung up on the numbers (although we all do!). Final thought — does your weigh scale need a new battery?

Best wishes for solving your mystery. Hang in there, and those numbers will begin to drop again. 🙂

Hi Narrabeen,

Well done for shedding 20 kg! I too have been practicing 5:2 since June 2016.

I agree with everything Lolly says and I’ll add that as we shed weight, our TDEE goes down. This means that as our weight drops, so does the caloric requirement to maintain that weight. If you are eating the same and fasting the same as always since starting 5:2 back in June 2016, it might be worth re-checking the BMI calcuator tool under ‘Resources’ at the top of this page to review your new TDEE at your current weight and associated 25% caloric percentage as how much to consume on fasting days.

For example, when I started 5:2 my BMI was 23.2 and my TDEE was 1526 which means that eating the 1526 is the amount of calories I needed to eat to maintain the 67 kg. I was carrying. 25% of that TDEE wasn’t 500 calories even back then which means that in order to truly work the 5:2 plan of eating 25% of one’s TDEE, I was only to eat 381 calories. …And with that many successful 5:2 members who’ve actually reached their goal weight suggest that it is best to not eat 25% of one’s current TDEE while in weight loss phase but instead eat 25% of what your TDEE would be at goal weight! It is up to each to choose whether or not to adopt that strategy, though doing so definitely creates a greater calorie deficit and thus accelerates weight loss as well as helping our body familiarize itself with goal weight experiences. Another tip I followed from other successful 5:@ members was to always select ‘sedentary’ as the choice on the activity field of the calculator, since the calculator is already quite generous and it is easy to over assume calories required by selecting a more active lifestyle field.

So, I did reach my goal weight and my TDEE has definitely dropped from 1526 to 1394. That means I’ve had to lower what I eat both on FDs on NFDs compared to what I’d eaten previously and I had to adjust this as I went along. I would check every couple or three weeks to keep the amount I consume in line with my TDEE and the 25% portion for fasting days. On fasting days I now only consume 348 calories to maintain my 56 kilograms.

I’ll add that I’m not perfect, meaning I’ve had binge eating issues which definitely interfere, so I’m not 100% with all this. However, I’m happy to report that even by being less than perfect, I’ve been able to maintain my goal weight, or thereabouts since reaching maintenance back in September of 2016. What helps me most is by simply continuing with the 2 x fast days a week, maintaining participation in this forum and by doing this, my wrinkles and snags tend to work themselves out. All the best to you and I look forward to reading your further progress or any other queries or issues you might want to share.

Thank you so much for your thought. In the back of my mind I probably knew this, but someone else telling you always helps.

Does anyone know if you can ‘reset’ your TDEE? So for example if you become more active? Do weights to build more muscle. I don’t think the idea of eating less & less forever appeals all that much

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.