The moment you STOP fasting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
The moment you STOP fasting

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  luckylucy 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• ive noticed the weight just piles back on!!!!!

Ive been fasting for 3 weeks (4:3) and I lost around half a stone in 3 weeks (which is brill as im trying to lose weight in time for my sister in laws wedding end of September).

Anyhoo my fourth week has been kind of a disaster. So I had three fast days on my fourth week (mon, wed and thurs) and on the friday I went to Paris for the weekend to celebrate my husbands 40th. I kind of ate “normally” I suppose and there was one night where I was naughty and had burger and fries (otherwise calorie counting during the day). On top of that during the same weekend I felt bloated and fat which im suspecting is an indication that my time of the month is coming up – so after my weekend away I weighed myself on Tues morning (didnt fast on monday) and over the 4 days I had gained 6lbs!!!! In just four days!!! I was so gutted that all my hard work had gone down the drain in just four days! What happens if i or anyone for that matter stops fasting in the future?? 🙁

I think the biggest problem more than anything was not so much the food i ate but the fact that im due on and as im not on any pill and my periods are quite irregular its difficult for me to know when my time of the month is coming up. So i have started strictly again today!

I was mortified so today I have started afresh and gone back onto the fasting regime! Im classing today as day 1 and I figured that as im suspecting my time of the month is coming (where I can actually eat for a small villiage) I think the best way for me to tackle pre-period fast days is to schedule in 3 meals a day as opposed to breakkie and then my meal in the evening as I was doing. I should do that on the weeks when im not getting any cravings for certain foods etc and have longer fasts on those days.

Any advice to my above predicament would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hiya Sakina5, it sounds like it’s still very early days for you, so it’s unfortunate that you had a ‘5:2 holiday’ so early on. Yes, you will gain a bit of weight whenever you stop doing 5:2. It IS basically a ‘stealth’ calorie controlled diet and with any diet you will regain weight when you suddenly stop doing it for a bit. The difference with 5:2 is that it’s very easy to pick back up where you left off and as long as you’ve only missed a couple of fastdays then you can pretty much guarantee that you’ll drop back down again very quickly to where you were before your ‘holiday’.

I can tell you from my own experience that 5:2 actually completely solved a lot of my issues with my menstrual cycle and for me it is worth doing forever for that (and the eczema cure and the BP reduction) alone. However, even that is not a permanent fix. I HAVE TO fast to keep it going. I recently had a ‘5:2 Holiday’ for my birthday, which unfortunately fell the week before my period was due. It was not anywhere near as bad as it has been in the past but that extra bit of pain and discomfort was a telling reminder that this lifestyle is exactly that. I may take the odd week off for a holiday or my birthday or Xmas or whatever but I will do AT LEAST 1 fast a week for the rest of my life, just to maintain my health benefits, nevermind weight.

Don’t fret too much about your little ‘holiday’ weight gain. Just get back on it and it will sort itself out pretty quickly. You CAN take holidays, but you must always expect to pay with a little weight gain or a dip in your health benefits – you soon get the gains back again. It’s just life. 😉

Youre probably not taking into account water weight or natural weight fluctuations over days.

When you 4:3 you have to weigh regularly and at the same time of the day. You will have usually two weights. One is a pre fast weight and one a after fast weight.

70+ weeks ago I was 15st
    7 weeks ago I was 11st 13-12 st 2
    now im 11st 4-11st 6

I quote the lower weight on here =p, yesterday morning I was 11st 4 pro fast, today im 11st 6 pro fast. Last week I was 11st 6 pro fast and 11st 7 pro fast.

As long as im seeing a downward TREND I know im making progress

not using these ranges can make you fastly overestimate weight loss or gain, especially in the short term! Its a marathon in the end of the day, measured over months not weeks.

Too true tombaron, I’ve always weighed once a month, so despite the odd ‘holiday’ I never actually SAW any weight gains. By the time my weigh in came around I’d always caught back up and lost whatever I’d put on during the holiday again.

You’re right tombaron I havent actually taken into account any sort of water retention or natural weight fluctuations.

I have to weigh myself weekly so should I be weighing myself twice a week? both post fast day? in order to see any sort of change/trend?.

In relation to holiday weight I expected to put some on as its natural too when you are on holiday – I just didnt expect it to be that much!!! I have an all inclusive holiday booked in October and I am officially dreading that! Will have to do some serious calorie coutning/tracking/planning/exerrcising to not see such a horrible result.

But I guess you are right TracyJ that whatever I put on – it is very easy to get back into it and probably lose in my first week back on track.

So tombaron should I be weighing myself twice a week? both post fast day? in order to see any sort of change/trend?.

and TracyJ any advice re my hol coming up?

Weigh once a week/ fortnight/ month, whatever you prefer. Do it on the same day of the week at the same time, having eaten and drunk the same amount and you will have (as close as you ever can) a bit of consistency to your weighing.

As Tombarton said, you probably have to account some of your recent holiday weight gain to water etc. and it will make a massive difference in weight if you weighed at different times of day, on different scales and different lengths of time since your last fastday. So just ignore your most recent weigh in and get yourself into a weighing routine (whatever you decide that is).

No need to freak about your next holiday. If it’s just a week then just do what you did this time. Be mindful of what your intake is each day but don’t deny yourself – you’re on holiday!!! You might find it easier after a few more fasts to just skip non-essential meals and have 1 or 2 yummy meals a day instead of wasting calories on a breakfast or lunch that you don’t really need.

Personally I weigh in daily but take the result with a pinch of salt (im quite tightly regimed to do this) To be honest its more a mindset thing, weigh daily if you want but track both pre and pro fast day weights separately. You don’t want to obsess with daily drops, more a steady weekly and monthly decline in weight.

Are you fasting the same days each week? if so and you want to weigh twice weekly. Weigh the morning of the last fast and the morning after the last fast. Thatll give you two figures to work with.

Great advice – thanks guys.

Ill let you know next week how i get on this week and hopefully will have lost some of my holiday/pre period weight! 🙂

Just don’t go too hard on yourself on non fast days on 4:3. 4:3 creates a huge weekly calorie deficit. Of course don’t live off Maccy Ds cakes and doughnuts but you can enjoy these things occasionally. The backbone of your diet should be healthy but theres always room for the occasional cookie, that’s what a healthy lifestyle is all about!

Hi @sakina5 completely agree with what has been said already. There are two/three times I avoid weighing myself (or if I do I take the values with a pinch of salt) – time of the month & post-holidays/post-weekends – otherwise water weight comes into play a lot. That’s why I think I had such a large initial weight loss of 6lbs or something in my first week, so much of it was water.

I would advise after a holiday/time of the month to do the 5:2 or 4:3 regime for a week & then re-weigh. That will be a ‘truer’ value.

Good luck !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.