Spherocytosis – Anemia

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fbrechtel 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hello
    I am a 55 year old woman in California, USA with hereditary spherocytosis. This disease causes anemia because my blood is round instead of plate like, and my spleen assumes that it is defective so it removes it. I have been anemic since I was a child, and so I know no other condition.

My husband and I started the 5:2 diet in 2014 and did it for almost a year before I had to stop because it made my anemia worse. My husband continued, but I did not. Since stopping, I have been tested, and my anemia improved. Therefore, in my case, the diet did not cause any long term effects regarding anemia but did worsen the condition significantly.

Since the theory is that fasting induces your body to repair itself, I think that my spleen became more efficient at removing my blood, which in my case makes my anemia worse, but maybe in a healthy person getting rid of defective blood would be a good thing.

Bottom line, if you are anemic, you should definitely be tested regularly when doing this diet, and if you have spherocytosis, I do not recommend it.

Strange this should happen as my anaemia improved no end on this diet because the quality of the food I was eating was far superior than was before. I used the official recipe book, and it’s just fab. I make everything out of that when I have guests who aren’t dieting or fasting. Just great nutritious food. After all, all you’re doing is cutting out one meal a day for two days a week, and cutting out bread and large quantities of potatoes, rice and pasta. Still enough there, and plenty of red meat recipes to stem up the blood levels. Sorry, just can’t agree with you.

Good for you! I do not know how the diet will affect all anemia, but I do know how it affected me. In my case, I am not iron deficient, so extra red meat is not an issue. I actually eat very healthy in general, and was doing so while I was doing the fast diet.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.