SLE (lupus) and Fibromyalgia

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• I have the above. Does anyone find these diseases cause issues for weightloss on this diet?

I have fibromyalgia, but fasting has made me feel so much better. I have more energy and less pain. I have realised that a lot of the problem was trying to do things after I had eaten. Digesting takes energy and it is very taxing trying to do something else at the same time. Now I work on an empty stomach and eat afterwards, also what you eat makes a difference too. I have cut out all processed carbs and the cravings are gone plus the bloating that followed eating them. I can’t say enough good things about intermittent fasting. I couldn’t have carried on the way I was, it was too awful. I couldn’t get anything done, was in constant pain and had no stamina whatsoever. I struggled to get necessary tasks done and then collapsed into bed as soon as I could. The effects were noticeable within weeks. I have now lost a large amount of weight as well which has helped even more, but even without that it would have been worth doing.

Hi, I have rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia. They don’t prevent me losing weight and I do feel better with fast days in my week. However the pain and inflammation for these conditions will have the following effect on weight:
    – They can limit our ability to move as much as we like, so you can’t always elevate your TDEE or burn more calories with extra exercise. I just had to accept that my TDEE and activity levels would be low and plan meals accordingly.
    – Varying inflammation levels have an effect on what you weigh so it can be difficult to work out what body fat you have lost through dieting if it’s masked by increased inflammation. I found that it was helpful to take body measurements on an area where your condition commonly shows increased inflammation levels – for me it was my knees. If I have been sticking to my food plan and should have lost weight and I haven’t, I check my body measurements. If inflammation is the cause then what I will see is a decrease in measurements like my waist, but an increase in my knee measurements (for example this week my knees each measure 3-4cm larger than last week, telling my my inflammation levels are up).
    On a positive note, my inflammation levels are generally lower when I weight less. My ESR bloods tests are about 10 points lower if I keep my BMI under 30. I also might it easier to be slightly more active when I’m lighter and I require fewer pain killers. So it’s definitely worth getting a few kilos off if you can .

I have fibromyalgia, and just started this week, but I have to agree with the above. I felt so much better than I have in a while after my fast day. I’ve had a lot more energy, and less pain after I fasted. I wasn’t anticipating that side effect of the diet, but I’m all for it haha!

Hi Kimmy,

I’m also in Australia. I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, commonly (and badly named) as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I have a tiny bit of Fibro.

I’ve been on 5:2 for 3 yrs, have taken off all the weight I put on since I became ill – 10kgs on my own over 6yrs, and 21kgs on 5:2. I’ve been on maintainence for a little over a year. I’m up 3 kgs from my goal weight after an Annus Horribilis of a very difficult year of many life events all coming on top of each other. During that year I kept doing 5:2, and consider that it helped me cope with stress eating. I didn’t finish all my FDs, but I always kept trying and so I didn’t undo all the work I did previously on 5:2.

I am totally off my Blood Pressure medication, and it is very freeing to be a normal weight. It’s made it easier to move, go up steps or a slope, I walk a little better and a bit farther now. My posture is better and I feel happier in myself.

I am in the sedentary category of exercise, and can’t do ‘exercise’ as such, so no help from moving to help use up calories.

There is a thread on the forum for ME/CFS but it’s largely innactive given the nature of that illness. There’s also a thread for Australians and New Zealanders called Southerrn Hemisphere. It’s an active thread with both Ljoyce, myself and another lady with ME/CFS on it. Come on over,

Merry

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.