Running and the 5:2 approach

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Running and the 5:2 approach

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Rooby 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I’m considering starting this plan but I am wondering does it affect your training plans? Do you exercise on your fasting days or use them as rest days? I have those stubborn 10 pounds left to lose and want to give this a try.

I’m 53 and have run everything from 5K’s to a marathon. I have two half marathons coming up in the next 3 months. I would love to hear from any runners out there who are using this plan successfully.

Thank you.

I am just an occasional runner but Tim Noakes (Real Meal revolution guy) studied athletes and fasting/low carb diets and it is said that the performance improves. Something to look into, for sure. I know it is easier to lose weight if you work out while fasting..it’s just hard to do sometimes!

You should be able to fast and train. Just train at about 80-90% effort compared to what you would normally do. I ride my bike while fasting and am usually 10-20% slower over a 50km ride compared to when I am carbed up. That’s about normal. Relying on stored fats rather than glucose means you have a very large reserve of energy, its just that you cant convert it to energy as fast as glucose of glycogen. With regular ketogenic training you can be about 95% effort compared to fully carbed up. Chris Froome (tour de France winner) regularly trains in a ketogenic state.

Hi, I run a few times a week around 5.5 miles each time but always in the mornings. I cant bear the feeling of running on an empty stomach so What I found works for me is a small fruit breakfast and I mean small, 1 baby satsuma,small kiwi and a couple grapes with a spoon of alpro yoghurt with almond ( it’s only 54 cals per 100g but I don’t put that much on) a cup of coffee then out the door. Personally running doesn’t make me hungry so I just drink loads of water all day then a low cal salad for tea. It has worked for me so far

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.