Relatively new to 5:2 and need support

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Relatively new to 5:2 and need support

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  rocaelle1 8 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Hi everyone,

I started 5:2 5 weeks ago after coming off an indulgent holiday and lost 2 pounds. Since then I lost 1 pound and then put it back on.

Unfortunately, I didn’t measure myself as I thought I would rely on how my clothes fit.

Generally I eat very well, I’m a strict veggie, eat no sugar (except fruit) and try not to eat wheat. During the week I try to eat no more than 1200 cals a day but at the weekend at tend to go mad eating crisps and cheese etc as these are my treats. (yes not ideal)I do drink alcohol (maybe a beer and a few glasses of wine at the weekends)I do 3 20 min sessions of running or aerobics 3 times a week but I’m upping that to 4.

I need to lose just over 1/2 a stone.

Everyone I have told laughs when I say I haven’t really lost weight doing the 5:2 and then says the people I know who have done it have lost lots of weight..it does feel a bit demoralising. I’m not a dieter as I think quick fixes don’t work and you end up putting the weight back on.

I’m trying to see this a bit differently and even though I really really want to shift this stubborn 1/2 a stone I’m also doing it for the health reasons. I’m a spiritual person and the idea of fasting appeals also for cleansing the body and giving it a rest.

I haven’t felt that it has been too difficult fasting as I’ve concentrated on the fact that I can eat other things that I like the next day albeit still healthy (unless its the weekend.)

Today I got up and expected to have lost some pounds with my weekly weigh in as I feel thinner, but no. I feel lighter and look slimmer around the areas where I lose weight first (usually my face neck, arms, shoulders.) I know muscle weighs more than fat, and I know I should stick it out.

I suppose I need some support to stay with it and some hope that eventually things start to happen. x

I am finding it all pretty easy because I feel so good at the end of a fasting day, and know the next couple of days will be easy ones. That means I am not so worried about losing weight. I haven’t weighed myself but I can tell my clothes are getting looser.

I am sorry it is so much harder for you, but maybe the spiritual way of looking at life will help you to delight in the way you are looking after your body, and give you the patience that it might be a month or two before you feel happy with your weight.

Sending good wishes and hoping that the next week is a good one.

If your clothes are telling you you’ve lost weight I would go by that. The scale is a liar sometimes and it’s really frustrating when it doesn’t want to go down

Weighed in again today and no weight loss! It is quite laughable but because I feel good and my shape is changing I’m carrying on. I read somewhere that people with less to lose can struggle? I wish I could ditch the scales each week but every week I’m intrigued as I feel so much lighter and I’m sure some will have come off!

Oh well good wishes to you too. Have a good weekend. x

Hi,

Yes, the lighter you are, the slower the weight loss. In most cases.

The ‘average’ loss for a woman with 5:2 is perhaps 1lb per week. There’s roughly 3500 calories to 1lb. Do the maths (how many calories you are cutting out each week by fasting) and work out what rate of loss you might expect. If you normally eat 1200 calories, and your fast days are 500, you are only cutting 1400 calories a week, which isn’t quite half a lb.

If your shape is changing and you feel better, something good is happening! Try not to get hung up on the numbers. Sounds like you’re doing as well as you might expect.

Thanks HappyNow. I try to eat no more than 1200cals during the week with 2 fast days of about 550-600cals spread over 3 small meals. At the weekend I eat what I like. I could take my fast days to below 500cals but I get hypoglycaemia fits so I’ve been concerned about cutting a meal out. I could try it though see if it makes a difference.

I have noticed I’ve started eating less at the weekend as I don’t want big portions which may help in the longer term.

Based on what you are saying I need to cut a lot more cals out, but I didn’t want to feel that I was on a constant diet all week. When you read the books – they say eat what you want on non fast days and some people even call it feast days – obviously not for me…

No, I’m not saying you need to cut a lot more calories out! I’m just pointing out that your rate of loss will inevitably be slower than someone who is considerably heavier than you.

And no, the diet is no different for you than it is for anyone else. Eat whatever you want means no food is forbidden, it doesn’t mean eat however much you want! No one loses weight if they are overeating.

I think you just need to be patient and accept that you won’t lose 1 or 2lbs per week. This is a way of life anyway, not a quick fix fast weight loss diet. Think marathon not sprint!

Oh I see I misunderstood. How long have you been doing it for?

Hi again,

I did 5:2 from Jan – April/ May 2014, and went from a flabby 159lbs to a trim 130ish (at 5ft7, BMI just over 20, UK size 8). I did also pretty much cut out added sugar, and cut down on bread and pasta. Since June 2014, I’ve maintained my weight (within 1-2lbs) by being added sugar-free and carb-light during the week, and with the occasional fast (not even every week though).

The fasting acts as a reset on cravings and portion sizes, both of which can easily start an upward creep again if I’m not careful!

I’ve also seen improvements in lung function (I get exercise induced asthma), allergies and menstrual symptoms. So happy happy!

Fantastic! – I lost 3 stone about 13 years ago by not eating sugar and cutting out wheat. I was happy at that weight but age and having a family and an early menopause means half a stone has gone back on. I agree about the reset. I needed it.

You lost a lot of weight in a short time! Great to hear that you are happy and can maintain it too. x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.