Questions about 4:3 and the timing of the break-fast

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Different approaches to intermittent fasting
Questions about 4:3 and the timing of the break-fast

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Lewis Clifford 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• I have a question on 4:3. I noticed that Dr. M mentions that he has his 300 cal. breakfast on a fast day and then a 300 cal. dinner. I think the breakfast would make me hungry, so I’d rather wait until 2:00 to eat and then have a 7:00 dinner, both 300 cal. Then this gives a longer fast so more time to burn fat, correct? I am thinking I’ll do 4:3 since I have a beach vacation in 7 weeks and need to get as much of this fat off as I can! Any input would be great!!

hi thinagain,
    the beauty of this plan is we can fit it around our daily lives, not the other way around, do what ever works for you, i am doing 4:3 at the moment and have my cals in one meal in the evenings, saving some for my milk in cups of tea during the day, good luck and keep posting x

Hi Fast for life,
    Which days do you do 4:3?
    Ninna

hi ninna, i do mondays, wednesdays and fridays, so i have the weekends free, i try to choose my work days as these are busy days for me, xx

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will do M, W, F as well and see how it goes. I fasted until 2:30 today and had about 250 of french onion soup, then about 180 of poached egg with tomato, basil, parmesan. May have a bit of plain yogurt if still hungry.

Hi Fast for life, I am glad someone else has their cals in the evening as all the information seems to talk about eating your main meal at lunchtime and I work outside so that is impossible. I thought I was doing it wrong by waiting until the evening.

hi Pally666, no your doing it right, many here save their cals for the evening, let us know how its going for you xx

Hi Pally666, I started 3 weeks ago trying to spread the calories on fast days but most posts I have seen seem to be saying that people find it easier to fast all day and eat in the evening. Plus it effectively gives you a 24 complete fast period each time (dinner night before fast day to dinner fast day), which should be a good thing.

I honestly thought there was no way I could possily do that – but I can and I do and just fill up on water and fruit teas during the day. And it gets easier.

But you just need to find a way that works for you 🙂

Hi fast for life, lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks, hardly lost anything the first week but did better this week. did a 5:2 for the 2 weeks but am going to do a 4:3 this week and next week, see how it goes.

Pally666 thats a really good loss, try not to worry to much about how much or how fast your losing weight for the first month, just give yourself time to adjust to this new way of eating. the weight loss will sort itself, it will be slow some weeks, but it does work and is maintainable for life xx

Interesting posts. I seem to be doing well on the 5:2 after nearly two weeks, on Monday and Thursday. If and when I reach a plateau I might consider an extra days fast. On fast days I have a small breakfast, a very low cal snack lunchtime and rest of my 500 calorie allowance about 6pm. This way I seem to avoid the hunger pangs. I watch what I eat on non fast days keeping to about 1,730. I don’t actually count them, but have cut down on fatty snacks, biscuits and cake in between meals, use sweeteners instead of sugar etc. I’m eating more fish too plus stir fries with minimum fat and add water if a little dry. I always weigh portions on fast days to be as accurate as possible. So far so good!

Hi anniew7, if you eat 3 times on a fast day when do you do your fasting?

In answer to Pally666’s question, At 71 years of age, with a few medical issues, I find I need something lunchtime, but it’s usually only a slim soup OR a small apple, around 50 cals on average, so I hope it won’t make much difference, as I still stick to the 500 cals for the day and have most of them around 6pm. As I said before it appears to work for me this way! I don’t eat anything else after 6pm, though may sip on a very small glass of diet lemonade throughout the evening. I think keeping to the calories on fast days is the important factor here. Doing it this way I can resist the temptation to binge!

To anniew7, I am doing what you are doing as I seem to need to space my 500 calories into three small meals. It seems to be working. I am 68 and this seems to be what I can do. Good for you–keep it up!!

Thank you MaybelleW and good luck with yours too – keep us updated on your progress so we can encourage each other!

Ann

Ann, Still doing the same old thing and still completely happy and satisfied with the plan and it’s results. I can tell that I am making progress by the way my clothes fit and by the way I feel about my body in general. I just feel that there is a bit less of me! I went on a 10 vacation to visit a daughter and fit in two fasts (which meant that I was missing at least one) but it seemed perfectly OK to do that. I think that having noticed some progress, and from a plan that doesn’t feel at all arduous, it makes me want to keep going and not give anything back.
    I’ve been doing this long enough now that I’ve stopped counting how long it’s been because I think this is just the way I’ll eat from now on. Hope you’re doing well, too.

Hi Maybelle, good for you and I also see it as a lifestyle change
    I have been doing this since June and have lost 5 kilos
    It is very slow but am enjoying finding something that I can stick to
    I do 2 days in a row, usually Monday and Tuesday. I have nothing to eat from 7pm Sunday night until 12 pm Monday and then again at 6 pm that night
    Nothing again from 6.30 pm to 12 pm Tuesday and 6 pm again
    When I wake up Wednesday I can actually last till about 11 am before I have something to eat, so am doing some quite long fasts

Mariao, Excellent! But I don’t know how you do two days in a row. I am just finishing a fast day today and the stretch from 2 to 7pm with only a carrot felt LONNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG. Once dinner is over I am fine and will try and wait a bit for breakfast tomorrow morning. I don’t think in terms of kilos but it sounds like a lot!!! Yes, I think what’s important is thinking of this as the way that I will live from now on. I am hoping for maybe a half pound a week and that would be fine because it’s more than I’d thought I could accomplish ever again!!!

I’d find 2 days in a row tough. I like the idea that on a Fast Day, I always tell myself that tomorrow I can enjoy that nice breakfast and latte.
    I opt to go Breakfast and Dinner only, saving as many calories for Dinner. Working through lunch, and drinking black coffee during the day – I am finding it easier to manage. Fasting days are becoming easier.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.