Psychological effects of intermittent fasting

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Psychological effects of intermittent fasting

This topic contains 0 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  micheldos 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• ***If you are thinking of starting the 5.2 diet please email me at ucl.fasting.research@gmail.com to participate in my research study***

I am investigating the psychological effects of intermittent fasting in healthy adults by comparing how they answer certain questions about mood and eating behaviour before and after starting the 5.2 diet. Participation will involve completing some online questionnaires on a weekly basis for four weeks. You can participate from anywhere in the world as it all takes place online.

All participants will be entered in to a prize draw to win one of 13 Amazon vouchers (£20, £50, £100)!

Email: ucl.fasting.research@gmail.com

I wouldn’t fast deliberately if you paid me! I sometimes don’t bother eating because I’m not hungry, but this is only occasionally. Fasting under medical supervision for type 2 diabetes might be useful, but fasting just to lose weight doesn’t suit everyone. I felt ‘spaced-out’, irritable, physically fatigued, naggingly hungry despite feeling ‘full’, virtuous, ‘thinner’, and ‘happy’ and achievement-oriented (to be an intermittent faster).

Now, when I skip meals with some vaguely virtuous reference to ‘fasting intermittently to lose some weight’, I end up ratty, hungry, struggling to avoid cakes, pastries, chips, and so on (even sandwiches), and frequently determined to overturn the fasting trend by heartily enjoying goodies such as chocolate confectionery, buttery biscuits, slices of cake, filled white baguettes and paninis, cream (real, double) desserts, and cheesy fillings and toppings.

My advice is: don’t fast so much

I really do enjoy all those things mentioned above. If we can have real cream, real chocolate, real sugar, real bread, real butter, real cheese, we’d tend to feel alot happier and more satisfied – a win-win outcome.

@daisybouquet it sounds like you have a serious sugar addiction. You should look at cutting down on the sugar and then you might find fasting a whole different experience.

Daisy wouldn’t fast deliberately unless you paid her, but here she is on an intermittent fasting site’s message board. So take that for what it’s worth.

What Daisy describes was similar to my fast experience, but only for the first two fast days. Then they got much easier. In fact, now I find my fast days fairly easy, sometimes even a bit euphoric. The best part is that my body seems to have adjusted itself for the better on the non-fast days. I do not crave sugary or fatty foods. I am satisfied faster and with fewer calories by the meals I eat. My meal choices have also skewed much more the healthy end.

I agree that enjoying real foods makes me happy and more satisfied, but being overweight cancels that out very quickly. Intermittent fasting is by no means a miracle solution, but it is definitely working for me.

Well said @al x, I’ve seen other replies from Daisy questioning whether fasting was addictive …………….. like anorexia!!

I guess the ‘mental illness’ suggestion will follow! Fortunately for me -40lbs means I don’t take any of these negative posts to heart.

Happy fasting to those of us reaping the benefits!!

Again, well said Al. You have to take with a pinch of salt people who comment negatively on multiple postings about fasting, on a fasting website. Daisy should find a different resource for her needs as it’s clearly not fasting that she needs.

I’ve been on 5:2 for 7 weeks now and I have noticed that initially it was difficult and I thought a lot about food on FDs but now that’s lessened. I’ve also moved away from eating meals throughout the day on FDs and now have a very small breakfast then nothing but water/decaff coffee until evening meal. It works for me quite well. I’m actually finding that I prefer FDs as I don’t have to think about what I’m going to eat and try and control it – that was an unexpected discovery. FDs are more relaxed I find. I also appreciate the food I do eat on NFDs more, it’s heightened my awareness of how calorific some tiny things are!

This year I’ve having to stop fasting for a couple weeks here and there. However fasting itself is easy. The only downside is I don’t like to do it while traveling. The first 20 hours or so of a fast tends to see me lose a lot of water and it isn’t nice to always having to find bathrooms.

When I first started I did have some issues with sleeping through the night while fasting. It took a few months to adjust. It also took time for my body to get used to working out in a fasted state. However that is all so easy now.

Still I had greatly reduced my sugar consumption before I started fasting. For me that was key to reducing my hunger. Getting used to avoiding sugar was much harder than learning to fast.

Providing the best diet plan can help different people to make the lifestyle more healthy, and it entirely influences their mind and work. As a student, I can tell for sure that the diet plan is crucial for study. Whenever I get distracted and lose concentration required for study, I use this website https://writix.co.uk/ that provides the best writing solutions. Moreover, I have recently discussed the usage of healthy food and diets in my paper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.