Please simplify

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  HappyNow 8 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• I am fasting for 16 hours a day,from 11pm til 3 pm the following day then eating normally but is this the right way to do it?All I have in those hours is weak sugarless tea..Or am I meant to do the 16 hours and then just have a 500 kcals meal then go to bed? The way I understand it is that I can have 500kcals DURING the 16hours then eat normally?Please can the more experienced clarify this for me?

Hi Gail, if your last meal is 6.00pm at night and your first meal the next day is 12.00 noon that is 18hrs, is that what you mean? A lot of fasters can go through to 6.00pm that following night and only having liquids, clear broth or teas, water all day then 500cals in their evening meal 🙂 hope that helps. Of course you can break it up and have soup or something light for lunch at noon. Country gal

Thank you CG .My last meal would be 11 pm (I work funny hours!) then just weak tea until 3pm following day then eat normally from then til 11pm,I am getting in a proper muddle!!

Gail,

You are indeed in a muddle.

If you are trying to do 5:2, then I’m afraid it sounds as if you are doing it wrong.

With 5:2,
    The day before your fast you eat normally. You go to bed.
    The fast day, you get up and eat 500 calories or less during that day. You go to bed.
    The day after your fast, you get up and eat normally.

So this covers roughly a 36 hour period (day before evening meal at 7pm, sleep, fast day maximum 500 cals consumed between 7am – 7pm, sleep, day after eat normally). If you work (and sleep) odd hours, then you will need to account for that.

If what you are trying to do is 16:8, it’s very simple. In every 24 hour period you fast (i.e. don’t eat) for 16 hours, and then confine your eating to an 8 hour window.

Thanks HN,16:8 is what I am doing 4 days (work days)..You have certainly clarified for me.Now are 4 16:8’s as beneficial as 5:2 I wonder?

If you are trying to lose weight you need to restrict your calorie intake so you should follow 5:2 as indicated by Happy Now.

Well I am not overweight and am doing it mainly for the health benefits…..

In that case I suggest you do some reading regarding the health benefits of fasting and the best way to achieve them, there is a lot of information out there including research by Walter Longo and Krista Varady. It would appear that the longer the interval of fasting, the greater the benefit.

Thank you…

Ok,am starting today to do 5:2 PROPERLY!!!

Good luck Gail!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply.