Overview of scientific studies

This topic contains 1 reply, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  simcoeluv 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Hello,
    I am doing a 6:1 fasting rather than 5:2. I am doing it because I am interested in the health benefits of the fasting. My BMI is about 19-20 so loosing weight is not an issue, and that is the reason I was recommended a 6:1 diet at this forum.

I am, however, wondering if I can find an overview of the existing scientific evidence of any health benefits of a 6:1 regime?? I have a feeling no such evidence exists, though..?

I am also wondering if there is a link to, or an overview of, the studies that shows health benefits of the 5:2 diet? After a quick look at the website and the forum I could not find any studies at all. It would be nice if these studies were easily available for example under the heading “Why fast”.

no one is ignoring you, but don’t know either

I am not sure how many studies are published yet. The 5:2 Fast Diet is kind of a new idea and proper research takes years to get funding, to do the research and to publish the results.

There are studies in mice indicating that intermittent fasting increases insulin sensitivity and also increases BDNF (brain derived neurotrophic factor), which presumably makes brain cells more resistant to stress. Dr. Mark Mattson did those (as you may have seen in the Horizon show), and there’s a Scientific American article about his work available online. I’m not sure how much of the actual study reports is available for free online. There’s lots of data to indicate that for many mammals caloric restriction lengthens life and some data with mice that IF also lengthens life. All good news if your a mouse. There are also plausible ideas for how IF could help prevent cancer, but not data that I’m aware of. Of course, these IF studies aren’t 6:1 specifically (and there is much that could called 6:1) so extrapolation will be necessary. But realistically, there is not going to be “good” scientific information with humans on any of these things because it’s impossible to control a human’s diet for more than a few weeks (in a study, longer than that, it’s self-reporting) and impossible to eliminate confounding factors with humans the way it can be done with mice. So, for now you’ll just have to make a decision without definitive information. As usual.

Thanks for your replies. I have to say, I am quite surprised now. When you see the TV-program by Michael Mosley you really get the impression that the 5:2 diet is based on scientific evidence. But then it is actually the contrary, only based on anectotical stories – no evidence exists on these claimed health benefits related to cancer, dementia etc etc that is highlighted in the tv-program!

So, there is no evidence supporting that the 5:2 diet is benefitial for normal weight persons.

Hi sissel_99. I understand that Michael researched a number of different fasting regimes in America. One was the infamous 3 and a half day fast. Prior to doing this Michael had certain internal tests done. After the fast he had the tests done again and significant improvements were found to have happened. Watch the program if you can to fully understand these findings. Michael then “tweaked” some of the research to develop a “fasting” way of life more readily acceptable and achievable to most people. The most observable benefits of his 5:2 lifestyle is weight loss for most who do it. The possible internal health benefits may be more open to discussion but anecdotal evidence as seen on this site suggests in general there can be internal benefits also. Because the 5:2 is so new it is understandable that no substantive research has been carried out on humans as to the benefits or other wise. Such research will take some planning and a substantial amount of time to show any benefits to an individual. Other substantive research on fasting has been done, Dr Krista Varady for example which points to positive fasting health benefits. Much of the research done as others have said have focused on mice with positive results. I do not believe Michael has stated that the 5:2 is the equal of more substantive or more intense fasting but that it is an acceptable and achievable type of fasting. The bottom line is of course that if as you suggest there is no evidence of health benefits for normal weight persons then do not do it. Neither Michael or any posters would suggest any different. The caviat to that comment would be to then look at a “normal weight person” to ensure that that persons diet is actually as healthy as it possibly can be.
    Good luck.

Hi:

I guess I first posted this in the wrong thread.

Most people doing 5:2 do it for weight loss. Here is a study on that aspect of it. The differences are this study incorporated two consecutive days of ‘fasting’ each week (rather than any two days), and used a Mediterranean diet on non-fast days. It concludes a 5:2 type diet is safe and effective. The study led to the ‘Two Day Diet’ book.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.