Monster breath…..

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  dwbslp 10 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• So, a couple of weeks ago, I’m sitting in church with my family and it’s a fast day. My daughter leans over and asks if I have any gum. I was happy that indeed I did, so I could give her some. As I go to hand it to her, she says to me, “No mom, it’s for you! Your breath is so bad, my eyes are burning!!”. Needless to say that was an eye opener, burning and all.

Since then, my family has commented several times that perhaps some gum would do me and society some good. I notice it myself now. Have, of course, tried brushing teeth/tongue, mouthwash, mints, gum, what have you. But it only helps temporarily. Have realized that it must be because my stomach is empty and keetones are at play.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem? Anything I can take or do to help? Please tell me I’m not the only offender?

What good is feeling and looking better than ever, if no one can stand to be in your presence? Any tips would be greatly appreciated, and I’m sure my daughter will thank you too! đŸ˜€

Yes, I’ve noticed the “monster breath” as well. Maybe we could rent ourselves out to frighten neighborhood children at Halloween, simply by breathing on them. I do all the same things you do, but of course they are all temporary. I try to make sure I always have a pack of sugarless gum with me and pop one in when I see someone approaching for a chat. (I do wonder, though, if chewing gum is a good idea on a fast. Not sure what the research is on that, if there is any…)

Hi Tidychick & Stephka!
    I didn’t think one days fasting would be long enough to take us into ketosis? or even if it does on a fast day – surely the next day when we start eating the breath goes back to normal? Crikey I had better stock up on mints đŸ™‚ I used to get the acetone breath when I did LighterLife, but I was on 500 cals every day. I have some of those ketone test strips so will test next fast day & let you know :-)!!

When a friend of mine did the Atkins diet where bad breath is a common side effect, he was told to chew parsley. You could just go for a sugar free mints or gum though đŸ™‚

Nomoreyoyo – I didn’t know there was such a thing as a ketosis strip, so that would be really interesting to hear how that goes!

Puny – I will try the parsley idea. Know that I think if it, that is why a lot of restaurants add it as a garnish, or so I understand. Will let you know if it works. Thanks!

Stephka, I love that idea! We could scare up a load of candy, wait, maybe not. Candy is my nemeses! Someone suggested trying L-Glutamine to help curb the sugar cravings, so I bought some and am trying it.

I just read Joel Furhman’s book on fasting, and he mentions that things like this are a result of the body breaking down waste products. So, while I’m sure it isn’t pleasant, at least it’s a sign that GOOD things are happening in your body.

Melinda in NC,

That is so funny, my friend just leant me that book tonight! I will read that as well, and it is good to know that it means my body is doing what it’s supposed to. Thanks!

If you would like to check your breath, try licking the inside of your wrist, allow it to dry and then snif. It works.

Celery is good for curbing hunger and bad breath. Also, don’t forget to drink plenty of water.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.