Losing weight on fast day putting it back on on Non Fast Day

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Losing weight on fast day putting it back on on Non Fast Day

This topic contains 24 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Lipgloss2478 8 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

• Can anyone please help me as I am starting to get disheartened.

I have about 2 stones to loose and started the 5:2 3 weeks ago. I have been doing a Monday and Wednesday as fast day but have really watched what I have ate on the other days. I am still counting my calories the rest of the days and have around 1300 cals but can increase if I have a drink or not.

I have cut back on my bread as I feel this is one of the things that puts weight on me and have this maybe 1 day a week.

I loose around 2-3llbs when I get weighed on a Thursday morning but then by a Monday morning when I get weighed again before my NFD starts I have put all this weight back on.

Can anyone who has been in the same position please let me know what they did to crack it and start loosing weight or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

The increase is probably not weight as such but just that you have more food weight stored in your body (without wishing ot be indelicate!) after non fast days than after fast days. You eat more and that food weighs a certain amount more until you get rid of it! I have decided just to weigh myself on the morning after fast days for this very reason 🙂 Don’t get disheartened! x

Alex45674 – I understand about the food weight etc but I have not lost a single ounce in the 3 weeks that I have been doing the 5:2, surely after 3 weeks I should have lost something.

Maybe yours will take longer to start? Not sure. Have a read of the posts Michael has done about not losing weight, there are some good things there. Are you losing inches? This is not really about weight loss (which is a bonus of the diet) but about good health and if you lose inches you are losing fat! Try measuring yourself waist, hips, bust, top of thighs etc weekly.

Alex I am not loosing anything – I have not measured myself but my trousers and tops are as tight 3 weeks ago as they are now.

Sorry but you have lost, you said yourself you loose 2-3lbs so i think your answer is certainly in what you are eating on non fast days. This isn’t a criticism but i think you have to be honest with yourself.You proved the fast works as you lost weight but the issue is keeping it off in the non fast days. Take a long hard look again.

I am on my 10th week of the Fast Diet, faithfully eating only 500 calories on Mondays and Thursdays, avoiding fats, sugars, and starches on those days. I too, have lost very little weight — maybe 2 pounds. I continue the Fast Diet, however, in hopes that my next doctor visit will show improvement in my cholesterol and triglyceride scores. I haven’t measured but my clothing fits just a little less tightly than before. I’ve decided I need to watch what I eat on non-fasting days more closely and eat less.

Can someone share a link to Michael’s posts about not losing weight?

I am near Michael’s age but I am female and quite a bit more overweight than Michael or Mimi. I do hope it’s not that my body is “adjusting” to the fast and hanging onto the fat more tightly, remaining in “famine mode” even when I’m not fasting!

Hello All

I am also struggling to lose weight at the moment. I tend to eat too much on my Feast Days, How do you stop this? Also, I enjoy my drink in the evening, I have actually started having passoa and orange juice, Could anybody tell me how many calories this would be? I normally like a port & brandy, which is very high in calories!!
    I can’t find it out on the my fitness pal website. I would appreciate it very much if someone could give me some sdvice soon

Thanks

Hate to be the bearer of bad news folks… But a bit of good old fashioned vigorous exercise can really help on the way to kickstarting your body into weight loss/fat burning mode! Especially on fast days! It hurts… But it works!

a read

They aren’t feast days, they are eat healthy and exercise days. This isn’t feast and fast, its fast and be healthy.

Have a read of the book again as i think you may have misunderstood the whole idea.

Good Luck.

Yes – you need to work out your TDEE…which is done on this site … then not go above that amount of calories on your non fast days … as someone said: these are not ‘feast’ days … also agree you should try to up the exercise; walk a bit faster / further 🙂

Irritatingly my husband who only had a little bit to lose has lost it all with a bit extra. I’m still battling to lose any significant weight but find the following helpful –

Drinking plenty of water on fast and non-fast days
    Eating plenty of probiotic yoghurt – plain, fat free on fast days and Greek, plain on NF days. I also take a probiotic supplement.
    Making sure that I eat enough on NF days – it sounds counter intuitive but if I reduce normal calorie consumption I think my body goes into starvation mode and holds on to everything!
    Eating healthy, non-processed food and reducing starchy carbs on both NF and F days
    Exercising – 30 mins before breakfast 6 days per week on elliptical trainer, some weights, 30 minutes brisk dog walk every morning and anything else I can fit in.

Inches are going and clothes are much looser but the scales won’t budge much! I wonder if those of us who have struggled with weight for years and tried other diets have bodies that adapt to calorie restriction far more easily?

Having read some posts regarding the problem of losing weight, or not, I wonder about the individual posters approach to all of this.
    Every one is different and the 5:2 plan works slightly different for some people. I also take the view that this is a lifestyle approach to my health as after years of self indulgent abuse of food and alcohol I recognised that I only have one body and one brain. I decided that my health had to be the number one priority with weight loss a welcome but secondary target.
    To those having trouble losing weight, as a layman can I suggest a couple of simple adjustments to your non fast days as well as your fast days.
    Keep a diary for a couple of weeks. Buy a notebook and write about your days. Include your starting weight, waist measurement and other points important to you. Use the S.M.A.R.T. method if it helps. (Just google it).
    Each day make a note of what you actually eat, checking calories if possible. Write about your feelings, sleep patterns, eating habits etc. In fact any thing you can think about that can help you reflect on each day for at least 2 weeks. On non fast days eat as close to your recommended daily calorie intake as you can. You may be in for some unpleasant surprises as to your eating habits. I did this and it helped focus my mind.
    I am luckier than many in that I only have few medical symptoms that may effect my lifestyle as a “Faster”. Others are not so lucky and I admire their fortitude and dedication to the 5:2 lifestyle.
    Finally I subscribe to the K.I.S.S. approach to my fasting. Keep It Simple Stupid. Thats for me not other posters. It works for me.
    Good luck to you all.

K.I.S.S… I love that! And yeah… Just wanted to reiterate the lifestyle thing… I’ve cut my alcohol consumption right down, from 3-4 of bottles of red a week (I know, very naughty) to social drinks 1 or 2 nights a week (maybe equivalent to just over 1 bottle of red a week). Lots of hidden calories in that lovely stuff!
    It hasn’t been hard either, I find I just don’t need it with a meal or as a way to destress once the littleun is in bed anymore, which is as much a result of a choice I’ve made as it is a real shift in what my body now craves.
    I think the misnomer of ‘feast’ day is a problem too…if eating habits were abnormal before one started the diet, changes need to be made to normalise those too! I think once you start making those small changes, your body really thanks you and simply steps in line!

Don’t get me wrong… Still got things I very much need to change about my lifestyle, the fact that I smoke being the main thing, so I hope I haven’t come across as preachy!!!

Maxwell yes I do loose weight on my non fast days – that is the title to this post but then put it back on when I go back to eating normally.

On a fast day I have my 500 calories over 2 meals lunch and dinner then do not eat again until lunch time the next day. When I am not fasting I am having a yogurt and fruit for lunch and then a normal evening meal i.e homemade chilli con carne, chicken salad, homemade chicken curry, meat and veg dinner. I have cut back on the amount of carbs I am eating and have been eating around 1300 calories per day and my TDEE is 1600 cals so I should be loosing weight.

I do not drink through the week but enjoy a few drinks over the weekend. I know all about the hidden calories in alcohol but surely this cannot be the reason.

Maybe it is a lack of calories on NF days that is causing the problem?

Hi Drunkraffles,

Perhaps you could change your Fast days? Maybe having 4 days in a row to eat is causing the problem? Switch the days so that you have only 3 eating days in a row.

More exercise will help although it takes an awful lot of exercise to burn even 100 calories.

Some people switch to a 4:3 plan for a couple of weeks to kick start the weight loss.

I don’t limit what I eat on “Feast” days but I do limit the amount. As an example if you really want Pizza you can eat a slice or two but not the whole pizza.

To me one of the appeals to 5:2 is that I don’t have to eliminate any foods. It just makes me more aware of what I’m eating all of the time. So I find myself making better choices part of the time. I think for you a keeping a food diary for a couple of weeks might help.

Good luck and stick with it the health benefits are worth it even without weight loss. I believe that eventually the weight loss will happen.

Quick

Hi all,

I’m two weeks in to the fast diet and making slow progress (losing a pound on each fast day and then gaining back one over weekend) but happy with the way it makes me feel mentally. Feels like I’ve taken back control. I’ve spent last year in weight watchers where I slowly lost 21 pounds while feeling very hungry all the time. I have ten pounds to lose and I was wondering if I am eating too much on non fast days considering that I have been eating at weight watchers points level for so long.. approx 1400 cals a day. My TDEE comes up at 1900 cals but clearly if I eat anything like this amount I will gain weight given my recent dieting history. Can I presume that my non fast days have to be weight watchers 1400 calorie days and fast days the recommended 500 cals. I walk 5 km four times a week. Any help would be gratefully received,

Liz

Hi Liz

I do this too, so I only weigh myself first thing the day after a fast day! That way I get standardised results the same days each week having done the same thing yesterday. I think we all go up again after non fast days simply because of the, ummm, well, without wishing to be indelicate, weight of food we ate yesterday which we haven’t, well, got rid of yet. I say eat normally on NF days, stick to 500 on the F days, measure yourself and see results there. You are healthier! Really glad to hear it makes you feel better, I feel the same way, really bright and cheerful and I am what my partner calls ‘excited and pingy’! Have fun!

Thanks for that Alex,

There really is a mental difference which I really enjoy having spent last year facing the dreaded weigh in and being told that it was a bonus not to have gained weight when I had spent the previous week walking and doing everything ‘right’ diet wise. The dreaded hangover from a life long battle with weight is that I weigh myself every morning and find this a difficult habit to break. I resolve to do my best to break it as I progress on the fast diet. This week I am experimenting with Mon Wed and Friday fasting to see if it will move things along.
    Liz

Hey all! this was happening to me when into my second week of fasting. I am now on to my 6th week. I kept seeming to lose 2 to 3 pounds by the end of my second fast day which was a Wednesday, however by the Mon it was back on. I decided I had to look at what i was eating on non fast days, as I was telling myself i was being healthy and not eating too many calories but I clearly was. (I exercise 3 times per week. hard fast paced exercise I am only 26 and fit.) in my fourth week I decided to be extremely healthy no carbs and worked out an extra 2 days and suddenly by the next week 5 pounds where off. Hard work pays off.
    I have also noticed people are working out more and fasting but not losing weight. muscle weighs more than fat so remember this, even though the scales don’t move your clothing size may!

Good luck i’m sure a number of us are fasting as it is a Monday!

Something very similar has happened to me on a number of occasions. I’ve been doing the 5:2 since the beginning of February and have only lost between 3 and 3.5 kilos, of which 2 have often been regained only to disappear a day later.

Although the very slow weight loss is discouraging, the loss of inches (clothes fitting much more comfortably and in some cases now too big), the increase in energy, the drop in BP to 115/64 and generally looking better is encouraging. I intend to help things along by preparing some of the more calorific but still very healthy recipes in Mimi’s fabulous cookbood on non-fast days.

Having been grossly overfed as a child – not junk, just good home-cooked food but far, far too much of it – I have always had problems losing weight despite healthy eating and regular exercise. I’m sure that if I wasn’t as careful as I am I’d weigh 25 stone! The modest success of the Fast Diet is something of a triumph for me.

Lovely to hear you account, hermajtomomi – I’m so glad you feel ‘something of a triumph’ and I wish you continuing delight in your on-going progress.

I personally think you need to relax a little on your non fasting days, eat normally and not be obssed with eating 1300 calories and not eating breakfast.

If you are eating too little your body will cling onto the weight as it thinks it may not get food. Eat healthy and in moderation but dont count calories obsessively and allow yourself to eat that treat here and there, including some carbs. I think its a balance and you need to fast on fast days but ease up on non fast days. Also sometimes you need to confuse the body to keep it on its toes if it knows what its getting everyday you can plateau.

I am having a good response to the fasting, 2 weeks in and have lost 3.2kg, almost half a stone. I am also excercising (which I have always done). In the past I have barely been able to shift weight off at the start of any diet programme, any weight loss I had was extrememly slow.

Hi everyone , just reading all these posts , a lot of great advice and helpful advice .
    I’m just starting today I am thinking of doing the 5:2 fast days and on non fast days following my slimming world plan , that this will perhaps speed things along a bit. I have 9 stones to lose still.
    So here goes … any advice would be greatly appreciated

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply.