Longer fasts???

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  annette52 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anyone have any reliable information about longer fasts?

I typically do my FDs back-to-back and have only water. That’s worked for me for just about a year (with a long period of backsliding over the Summer).

Recently I’ve wanted to speed up some fat burning to be able to wear some formal wear for an important function in a couple weeks. So far I’ve done 6 days and the remarkable thing is I haven’t really been what I’d describe as “hungry” at all.

I’m sorta thinking I’d just take this as far as it will go to see what my limits are. Seems to make sense to take advantage of an opportunity that’s presented itself since some ordinary FDs are distinctly more difficult that this has been.

Is there some cut off point when the metabolic advantage to fasting peters out? Is there some other concern I should be aware of?

I take a multi-vitamin and a number of other supplements regularly.

Well done on your 6 days.

It is not recommended that people do extended fasts unless they are under medical supervision so I would say no longer than 7 days without checking with your doctor that all is well.
    The mythical starvation mode doesn’t set in until you’ve only got 4% body fat left so you could probably continue for a while longer.

There is a very interesting article written by the authour Jeanette Winterson who went to a clinic in Switzerland and did an 11 day fast. You could probably find it on-line.
    Jason Fung has also written about extended fasting.

I’ll look for those articles.

The *amazing* thing is I’m not hungry and I don’t think about food other than what I have to prepare for the holidays, etc.

I may eat today. I have a pending lunch date so if it turns out we’re on I’ll have a salad. If not, I’m still going to see how far I can take it. I feel just fine and I’m continuing to take supplements including electrolytes.

I have not noticed any change in my bulk/body fat (I don’t weigh). I have noticed that the intensity of my cardio has declined but I am still able to do 75 minutes.

Once our bodies make the switch to fat burning as a primary energy source we don’t need to eat so not feeling hungry isn’t as strange as it seems.

I’ve done a couple of extended fasts and found the second day hard but once I got through that it was fine, which makes sense as far as using up glycogen stores and converting to using fat are concerned.

So how often do you do an extended fast?

I’ve only tried it twice and it isn’t something I want to make a habit of but after losing 66lbs life got in the way and I’ve been going round in circles for far too long losing and regaining the same few lbs over and again.
    I’ve been trying different things to get me back into losing weight every week and I thought it worth trying.
    It seems to have helped and I might do it a couple of times a year for perceived health benefits once I reach goal.

I have just finished The Obesity Code by Jason Fung. Get a copy(downloaded mine on the kindle)and then couldn’t put it down. He says that we need to both watch what we eat BUT also when we eat. He advocates regular fasting to reduce the levels of insulin that make us fat, he talks of 24 hour fasts, 36 hours fasts and longer without any problems.

Hi annette-

Thanks so much!

Everyone but everyone talks about Fung but I haven’t read him yet. It’s time!

How have you been doing? I think of you trudging up Austen’s hill often when I’m on my treadmill. 😉

Hi Chubs! I kept hearing about him too and then gave in to read the reviews of this recent book. You must read it, everyone should read it, it all makes so much sense.Read it as soon as you can.

I am on the second 24 hour fast this week inspired by Jason Fung. Despite all of the positive changes to my diet, I seem to be stuck, and have been for months and months. After my first 24 hour fast(from dinner to dinner) I finally saw movement on the scales. Struggling to hold out to dinner, not because I am hungry but there are so many cookery programmes on about festive food!

I am still trudging up the hills of Bath! Now I have broken up for the Christmas Holidays I am wearing a pedometer to make sure that I get 10,000 steps in each and every day. Need to start getting out for a run/walk, as I have signed up for the local half Marathon in March, which I regret already!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply.