Just started! Can I go lower than recommended calories?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Just started! Can I go lower than recommended calories?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  TracyJ 10 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi there!
    I just started the 5:2 diet last week, and I have already dropped about 2.5 pounds. I have to say I’m very pleased, feel much better and love this diet. its super easy to follow and the fasting days aren’t as tough as I thought they’d be.
    i’m doing the recommended calculation of 1500 calories day/375 on fasting days. Does anyone know if you can go lower than daily – say 1300 –and if you’d lose any faster?

Thanks! L

Hi and welcome:

Your question is very interesting. The short answer is the less you eat, the more weight you lose.

Having said that, the concept of ‘fast weight loss’ is a tough one.

I don’t know where you got ‘recommended calculation of 1500 calories day/375 on fasting days’, so I can only guess you have computed your personal TDEE as 1500 and have taken 25% of that to get your fasting day number. To illustrate my point, about the fastest weight loss possible for you (given your 1500 TDEE), would happen if you ate nothing, 0 calories, for a week. If you ate no food, you might expect over time to lose about 3 pounds a week.

You can see that reducing your non-diet day caloric intake would increase your weight loss, but it would be measured in just a few ounces a week. (Going from 1500 to 1300 would cut 1400 calories out of your weekly intake, or about 6 ounces additional weight loss.) You have to decide if eating less is worth it – no one can make that decision for you.

Here is some information that gives a bit more on how the math works: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

Good Luck!

Thanks! I did use the calculate and that is the # I was given based on my activity and age. I was wondering if lowering would be detrimental in any way or more importantly, be a waste of suffering! LOL I am having success now, but good to know I can try and speed things up if I desire. Thanks for your advice! L

This is not a fast diet it is a way of eating that includes fast days. Fast not speedy 😉
    On average most of us seem to lose between 1 or 2lbs per week on 5:2 and sometimes we plateau and need to try 4:3 or alternate day fasting to wake our bodies up again.
    Also some only have water or calorie free drinks on their fast days.
    The joy of 5:2 is you can make it work for YOU so that it suits your lifestyle and you can eventually maintain a healthy weight and not fall into the ‘yo-yo-ing’ trap.

My experience has been similar to Lindy’s. For me it has had to be about gentle lifestyle change. Weight loss seems to stagger up and down with a weight loss overall at the end of the week. When I got to a plateau I did do 4:3 and this seemed to kick it along – I have now lost nearly 7 kilo – I feel great and on the non fast days my overall eating habits have changed and im really aware of what i put in my mouth…except I have never felt deprived…

Hi restless1, If you’re desperate to up your weight loss a bit then you should calculate your BMR and your TDEE and make sure you eat OVER your BMR on non-fastdays. You don’t have to eat right up to your TDEE if you don’t want to and those few less calories will help your weekly calorie deficit and therefore your weight loss. You have to decide for yourself if it’s worth it to you.

You can also not eat at all on your fastdays if you like? Some people are doing that and the numbers are totally arbitrary on fastdays anyway(Michael just figured he’d find it difficult to manage long-term on no food on his fastdays, so he plucked ‘25% of your TDEE’ out of the air, based on a similar, but not quite the same, study in the U.S.).

Whatever you do – DO NOT eat less than your BMR on non-fastdays. Whenever you lose significant weight, remember to recheck your numbers to make sure your BMR & TDEE are still current (they change as you lose weight).

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all your great advice and info. I feel like a mlliion bucks on this already and feel very positive about being able to sustain this. I come from the school of “sound” balanced nutrition and exercise approaches. Which worked for me in my 20’s when all I had to worry about was me, myself and I. Now 20 years later–even with a trainer, and doing HIIT the pounds don’t want to come offf! Cat and Lindy – I hear you loud and clear too –and I agree. Patience. 🙂
    Weighted myself this a.m. just to see and I seem to have lost another pound. I know that it may bounce back up after my non fast days, but the progress is so encouraging and the “lighter” more energetic feeling I have is so motivating ..as well as all you folks chatting with me! Thanks a bunch! L

Tracy:

You seem to be intent on eating over BMR – ‘Whatever you do – DO NOT eat less than your BMR on non-fastdays.’ I don’t understand why.

If you are doing 4:3, you eat under your BMR three days a week. If you do ADF, you are under every other day. Doctors usually hand out standard reduced calorie diets of around 1500 calories 7 days a week. For many, that would mean eating under their BMR 7 days a week.

The general rule is that the less you eat, the more you lose.

Why shouldn’t a person eat less than their BMR?

Tracy..not sure what you mean by eating OVER my BMR .. that is basic metabolic rate ?? and what do you mean by over? Don’t you mean TDEE..Aren’t I supposed to be eating my recommended caloric intake based on activity/age, and that is based on my BMR. I AM eating about that much on my non fast days 1500..and a 1/4 of that on my fasting days.375 as recommended in the book.. I just wondered if people actually ate below recommended daily intake to speed it up because…

Traditionally – yes, if TDEE for maintaining weight is 1500 calories a day, then you’re instructed to reduce it to lose weight — go to 1200, that’s 300 day less for 7 days = 2100 calories a week less. If you do comparison, this method 5:2 –you’re actually only eating about 200 calories less a week. not much more. and there’s 3500 calories in a pound..so …why should you eat less than 1/4 of your TDEE ..if not necessary…

I also wanted to know if necessary to reduce my calories more than 1/2 on non fast days because –doesn’t the success of this weight loss occur because of other things other than calorie reduction – but the effect the fasting has our insulin and our metabolism,? I can tell you that I’ve never lost this much weight off the bat even with exercise and eating a nutritionally sound, low carb 1200 calorie a day diet -which is much harder to sustain that this. So it must be something more than just calories in /out.

L

I’m not a doctor or a nutritionist and if you have better sources of information and don’t want to take any notice of any advice I give that is totally fine by me.

The way I approach 5:2 is as a lifestyle change forever. I am sure there are diets where people eat less than their BMR every day and get results, I know that simcoeluv and some others on here don’t subscribe to the concept of ‘starvation mode’ and perhaps they have good reason for not doing so.

My preference for the ‘Never eat less than your BMR on a non-fastday’ rule is not so much to prevent anyone falling into ‘starvation mode’ as it is to prevent people treating this as a ‘quick fix’ diet rather than a longterm lifestyle change that is sustainable and comfortable to live with.

Most people coming to this diet have a LOT of weight to loose and overly restricting themselves on non-fastdays as well as the fastdays may make them despair of this as yet another ‘diet’. Eating comfortably somewhere between your current BMR and TDEE and having 2 (or 3) fastdays a week will give a nice steady, comfortable weight loss for most people and will allow them to still eat all of the foods that they like (in moderation). It becomes a healthy, sustainable new lifestyle rather than a faddy diet.

That is my reasoning.

TracyJ: Well said!

@tracyj – I think you’ve explained well. I do believe in starvation mode, simply cos I’ve experienced it and what comes with it. IE gaining weight on what should be a normal diet.

Perhaps we’re all at different risks of getting it – but I’m surely one famine proof woman who’d outlast many others and *still* be overweight.

My personal opinion is why risk it, if you don’t need to. This is a lifestyle change, not a quick diet where speed is what counts.

Hi arla, yes – after seeing some of the terrible stories of some people coming to 5:2 who are obviously already eating WAY too little before they even start and not losing weight, I believe in it too. I’ve never experienced it though. Like you say, maybe it only happens to some people but it’s not a risk I’d want to take or a place I’d like to get stuck in myself, so I prefer to caution people to take this lifestyle as a lifestyle and not abuse it, or themselves.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.