It's been 18 months now and…

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Soul Personal stories
It's been 18 months now and…

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FlemishCurves 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• It took me 18 months but I’ve just bought my first pair of 30″ jeans since I was, probably, in my teens. I’m going to be 47 in November.

WHY?

My main motivator was getting older, fatter (I was in tight fitting size 38″ jeans despite exercising 3x a week back in April 2013) and wanting to give my kids a better example. Well there was that AND the fact that the doctor said I could do with losing some weight, that my cholesterol was borderline and an optician said the white line she could see inside my eyeball at my last eye test was telling her that I also had high cholesterol!

HOW?

What helped was swimming (almost) every morning and then taking up Michael Mosley’s 5:2 fasting programme at Xmas time last year (2013). I still have the original Horizon TV programme that eventually convinced me to give the 5:2 programme a go. I have as often as not been on a 4:3 rota, taking a Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday as my fasting days. I kind of look on the Sunday as my optional day, which I can choose to drop if I feel my progress has been good enough on the weekdays.

EFFECTS

I think that the term ‘Fast Diet’ is really a bit of a misnomer. Frankly, I eat like a horse most days and then cut down to a meagre but manageable 600 calories those two (sometimes three) days out of seven. Calling it a diet would suggest I’m reigning in my eating and controlling what I eat all the time, but I genuinely do not feel that I am… most of the time anyway.

I thought that the not eating bit would be really hard. In reality you get used to it quite quickly as you know you can return to eating what you like the next day. But, and this is the clincher, you do start to consider more what it is you put inside yourself as a result of thinking what you can eat on those fasting days.

I still eat a lot but it’s moved to be much more the big bowls of salad with a smaller quantity of meat, usually chicken, than in the past (when it was big helpings of potatoes, rice and the like…) but still lots and lots of it.

The other part of the occasional self-denial is that when you’re done you can go treat yourself, which I probably do too often anyway.

So, eventually, you CAN have your cake and eat it. All it takes is patience, some moderation, a willingness to exercise (an hour in my case) every day, garnished with a smattering of fasting. It’s also about thinking this is for the long term.

It’s slow and steady and absolutely not a quick fix. It’s really about changing your lifestyle permanently rather than chasing the next fad ‘diet’ that promises amazing results yet delivers nothing but disappointment to the vast majority.

The next question I need to answer is how little exercise and/or fasting can I get away with doing in order to keep the 30″ waistline? I’m six feet tall and hovering between 84 and 85 kgs at the moment. I’d like to get my body fat down too (around 20 to 21% right now) but don’t want to go very much thinner on the waistline.

So I will be eating salad today… but I’ll also be having ice cream afterwards…

🙂

So thanks Michael Mosley. Your BBC Horizon programme was the turning point for me as, no matter how much exercise I was, and still, do, I think the 5:2 consolidated the effort by helping me shift and, most importantly, keep off the body fat.

Ralph

Interesting post. I have been doing the diet for 3 and a half months now and have lost about 3kgs max. I dont feel its work but like the concept of abstaining for 2 days a week.

Was your weight loss slow and gradual and did you change anything with your fast days / non fast days to try and speed up the weight loss?

Im not looking for instant results, but I am looking for progress.

Well I suppose where I differ from some is that I do regular exercise & often do 4:3 rather than 5:2.

Cheers

Ralph

Hi @ecfc29, I started April/May 2013 and I’ve just calculated I’ve lost almost exactly 2.5lbs/month (1147gr/month) so I def didn’t lose rapidly. I had months where the weight flew off me, months of plateaus and even putting weight back on. But you know what? I’ve lost about 43lbs total, I went from a uk size 18 to a size 10/12, my BMI was almost 31.8 and is now 24.2.

It seems to go very slowly (at least that’s how it felt for me) and then all of a sudden you’re 40lbs lighter and wearing a crop top and daisy dukes, frolicking on a mountain in Spain (yes I just said frolicking, no I don’t regret it). It ís disheartening to lose more slowly than what people anticipate when they start the WOL but in hindsight, I couldn’t be happier that I stuck with it anyway. Think about it, if you keep going like this, you could have lost 15kgs by this time next year (I don’t know how much you have to shed, though). And I like to think that every month I’m maintaining at least I’m not gaining, and that would probably be very different if I wasn’t doing 5:2.

@ralphaverbuch, wow, congratulations, truly inspiring post for all the newbies out there. I also started 18 months ago and I couldn’t agree more.

“So, eventually, you CAN have your cake and eat it. All it takes is patience, some moderation, a willingness to exercise (an hour in my case) every day, garnished with a smattering of fasting. It’s also about thinking this is for the long term.”

This is so true. Also, at least once a week (usually when I glide into some skinny jeans) I think about how grateful I am to have come across Michael’s documentary when I did because I don’t know what state I’d be in now if I hadn’t. I’ve never felt healthier.

Thank you so much for your inspiring stories. It really shares the incentive. It’s the times when the loss really slows down it becomes disheartening, but like you say it picks up again and it’s the over all loss. I have lost 7.5 k’s in 6 weeks and 20cm all over, so extremely happy. I still have another 15k’s to go would like 20 k actually but the passion in your stories makes me believe it possible. Thank you again…….CG

I’m really glad it helps. I’m lucky because I have a real life fasting buddy so I can complain about things if I need it and we have our fast meals together. So I will nver skip a fast day because ‘I don’t feel like it’, someone else is counting on me to do it. But many people don’t have the same support in real life and even people telling them what they are doing isn’t okay. It’s important they also have a place to vent and find support to keep going when things are stagnating.

I think we have about the same weight loss in mind. I’ve lost 19.5 kg and have exactly 4kg to go till the hypothetical completely unreachable goal weight I dreamt about in the back of my head when I first started. And now it isn’t just a vague possibility, it’s a reality in the near future. Still confused about that. My waist went from 79cm to 67 O_O

You’re doing really well, and if you manage to keep spirits up even when things don’t go 100%, I truly believe you will reach your goal. Keep on being awesome!

Hi FC, my support is my thread, we have a great team, all voice disappointment at times or hardship in keeping up with the fasting, but we use each other as a sounding board and it really works. I opened a new thread AUSSIE DETERMINATION and it’s really taken off. There is always someone who will boost moral we all give support and feel great joy with anyones loss and support when we stagnate. It is really going well and you are more than welcome to join us. There would be so many questions the girls ( and a few guys) would probably like answered. Thank you again, your incentive is invaluable. Regards……CG

Well, I always tend to steer clear of threads that don’t look like they’re talking to me (not being Aussie) but I’ll def drop in some time and butt in a little 🙂

It’s like the LOACA thread, it looks awfully cosy there, but I’m not quite a LOACA yet, not by a long shot (I think O_o) so I tend to scroll past it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.