Insulin and Glucose

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  TrajanGregory 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Dear Fast diet forum.
    My name is Stephanus, and this is my second post/first question here in this forum.
    I’ve been wondering about this insulin thing.
    Actually I have many question about human body energy utilizing, but can I ask about this first?
    After we eat, insulin spiked. Then after a few hours it lowers.
    What happen when our insulin is low after a few hours? I mean does our body stop burning any excess glucose?

Thank you very much.

Hello Stephanus…

What happens is this :

Mammals has evolved to take advantage of feast cycles – days of plenty when food is available, and to store any excess energy – calories consumed during those days of plenty, so that a mammal can continue to survive using that stored energy when food sources disappear … It’s part of the great cycle of life that had continued for many millennia …

We store excess energy by converting free blood glycogen (blood sugar) to ‘fat’ i.e. triglyceride, and the body uses insulin to control the fat cells intake of this extra energy …

It all begins at the pancreas, where sensors exist that can detect the presence of blood glycogen – blood sugar.

When you eat a meal, the pancreas can sense the increase of blood glycogen, and then produce insulin in response. The insulin, among other things, floods the blood stream, triggering the fat cells to ‘open for storage’

After a meal, the quantity of available calories typically exceeds the immediate needs of the body …

Let’s say you eat a 1000 calorie meal … in my case, my body needs approximately 2400 calories per day … this means that I burn through about 100 calories per hour …

If you eat 1000 calories in a one hour meal, you will still have 900 unused calories floating in your blood stream as excess blood glycogen. Your tissues, muscles and liver will store a portion of that excess for immediate usage – for muscle movement, respiration and the like, but the ‘extra’ will be saved by converting the excess glycogen to triglyceride, which is stored in your fat cells through a process known as Esterfication.

Insulin is the key that unlocks your fat cells and allows triglyceride to be stored inside.

Note that fat cells expand when they receive this material – we call this “getting fat” … the cells literally expand … millions of them … the cells need insulin to complete this process.

So, the presence of insulin is simply a response to the presence of blood sugar … When you use or store that 900 calories, and the presence of blood glycogen decreases, again the pancreas can sense the decrease and will decrease the production of insulin in response.

Only after the body consumes or stores the blood sugar in your blood steam will insulin decrease to near zero. When blood sugar decreases, and insulin decreases you are then considered to be in a fasting state …

In closing – the insulin is present because blood sugar is present … When blood sugar drops, only then will insulin decrease …

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.