I hate the phrase "trigger foods" (and other mental health issues)

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
I hate the phrase "trigger foods" (and other mental health issues)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  abitunGraceful 8 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• About 5 years ago, I lost a significant amount of weight through good old fashioned diet and exercise. By “diet” I mean compulsively counting points on Weight Watchers, attaching my self worth to whether or not I stayed within my daily allowance, and ultimately forcing myself into anxiety-fueled binges if I so much as tried a bite of something I hadn’t scheduled in. And by “exercise” I mean 1-2 hours of weight lifting and a 1 hour high intensity spin class everyday for streaks of 15-20 days without a day off.

And yeah. I lost weight. 25% of my body weight to be exact. And you know what else I lost? My sanity.

I ended up in therapy, spending 2 years trying to undo the damage I had done to myself mentally. Throughout the recovery process, the pendulum swung back past center and in the other direction and I ended up gaining the weight back… but sometimes mental health is more important. Sometimes it’s worth going back up a couple jeans sized to be able to eat pasta without crying.

And so here I am. Finally bringing myself back to center. My goal isn’t weight loss, per se. It’s finding a maintainable lifestyle which is healthy both physically AND mentally. Mental stability is incredibly delicate. The way we talk about food and our bodies can be tearing us down mentally without us even consciously realizing it. I DESPISE the phrase “trigger foods” for this reason. By calling food a “trigger” we are implying that is has some kind of intrinsic control over us. We are, in effect, giving it that power. Food is not intrinsically good or bad, and we are not good or bad based on what we eat.

I am not fasting for weight loss, I am fasting to hopefully reduce my risk of chronic diseases and improve my digestive issues. I’d love to talk to other people who feel similarly and want to talk about 5:2 in terms of these goals, and not weight loss.

Happy to discuss this aspect of 5:2 diet. In fact its not really a diet, that is a misnomer. 5:2 got me to my self imposed weight target and I now continue to do maintenance 6:1 water fasts as I feel there are benefits in doing this that go beyond weight loss. I find it easy and very do-able and find that I have gravitated to a healthier eating style that is not forced. It just come natural to me now. Im now as fit as I was when I was in my early 20s. I ride 50km on the weekends and walk every day for one hour. I enjoy it, its not forced. Im in my “happy place” when Im on my bike.

The term trigger foods I feel does capture what happens for some people with certain foods. I do not have a strong appreciation of the psychology behind masking other mental issues by activities such as binging etc. Reading some posts I can see that this is a real issue for some. The physiology of some people lends itself to the fact that they can not eat certain foods. I think everyone knows someone that can eat whatever they like and they are thin as twigs, while others just need to look at certain foods and they put on weight. I think that for some, simple carbs and sugar induce a severe insulin spike that means all those carbs are stored as fat. For them eating simple carbs has a dire effect. They are continually hungry as a large proportion of what they eat is immediately stored as fat, which is then never accessed as they never allow themselves to be in caloric deficit.

“I think everyone knows someone that can eat whatever they like and they are thin as twigs, while others just need to look at certain foods and they put on weight.”

This is a diet mindset. Food is more than something that makes us fat or skinny.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.