How many meals allowed on fast day?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Fatostrich 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Hi, I’m new to 5:2 and although I looked up the basic info and feel I understand what it’s about, I’m not sure if there is a necessary period of time on fast days when you should not be eating at all. I’ve read some recommendations to have a breakfast at 7.30am and then dinner at 7.30pm – which would make it 12hr fasting period or having breakfast at 11am and dinner at 7pm (8hr fasting period).

But what I’m not clear on is whether the fasting is down to just purely consuming only 500 cal (so can I choose to have 5×100 cal snacks a on fast day) OR for it to be successful is it necessary to starve your body for some minimum period of time? If so, what is that minimum period of time?
    Thanks 🙂

Hi Fato and welcome:

Varady’s research shows you can eat as often as you want on diet days and get the same results as eating only once. This addresses the general time between meals issue: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/52-calorie-restriction-v-fasting-for-newbies/

Here are some general tips: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

There is a school of thought that an extended period with no food will yield better results since it lowers insulin levels. I guess it depends to some extent on the individual.

Many fasters also find it easier to avoid eating for as long as possible, and aim for one (usually evening) meal only.

Simco, I thought you ate once only (at most) on fast days?

I water fast but everyone is different. Its really up to you how you do it but personally I wouldn’t do 5×100 snacks. It would be the poorest option. Youre trying to lower insulin and deplete your blood glucose and stored glycogen levels, and snacking 5 times would keep insulin levels high. The purpose of fasting forces your body to access stored fats as its primary source of energy. Something it VERY rarely does on a western diet high in refined carbs and sugar.

You really need to fast for a minimum of about 36 hours to flip into ketosis (fat burning as your primary fuel source). Im not saying this is what you need to do, I find it easy, lots do not. Why not try the following and see if its do-able. After sleeping you’ve already fasted for about 12 hours!! Try going to lunch time before having a meal. That way you’ve fasted for about 18 hours. Have 250 cals and then the other 250 at dinner. Or try going to dinner, that would make it 24 hours. The 5:2 diet is really not a fast, its calorie restriction. But it works!!

Try and avoid sugars and refined carbs like bread, rice, pasta etc on your fast days as this will make it hard. Go for protein like tuna, chicken with bulky green veggies and salad. Good fats like high fat low sugar yogurt, almonds or walnuts or avocados.

Good luck, it works.

Thank you, will try that. I expected that there maybe some benefits to holding off food as lon as possible.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply.