How many grams of fat are ok?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  milena 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• I am a 39 year old male looking to lose a few pounds. I understand that on a fast day I am limited to 600 calories. What i haven’t seen anywhere is if fat is limited on these days also. Today is my first fasting day. I drank black coffee for breakfast so no calories there. I was able to limit my lunch to 90 calories with 30 calories from fat (3 grams). For supper I’m looking at staying fairly low carb, but not necessarily really low fat. I’m thinking a couple of eggs, some center cut bacon, some cheese, and some 2% cottage cheese to go with it. After doing the math this would be right around 500 calories with almost 181 calories from fat (about 21 grams). Is this meal too much as far as fat is concerned?

Hi mittcmck

I saw you haven’t had an answer yet, hopefully some of the more knowledgeable people will get back to you.

It is really up to you – I have said a few times that if you want a chocolate bar or a tub of ice-cream on a fast day, you can. Probably not the best choice though – and I’ve not resorted to that option – yet!

Protein and low carbs is a view held by many – protein helps you to feel full for longer. One successful lady has evolved her regime with professionals and she was having a spoonful of olive oil a day – on a total calorie limit way below 600 calories. Limited her choices hugely on fast days, but she is at maintenance now.

From reading about diet (what to eat rather than dieting) you should have not more that 20-30% fat in a day, so even on a fast day you are doing fine, and of course some fats are better than others.

Other than that, probably best to cut the rind of the bacon and grill it.

The main thing about 5:2 is nothing is forbidden, fast days need a bit of thought and eat what works.

Some folk, including me, work to a quarter of TDEE, rather than the standard 500/600, so worth checking your TDEE, especially if you are short and/or a couch potato.

Main thing though is eat mindfully on none fast days – you can eat what you like, but not necessarily as much as you like, you don’t want to undo your good work, TDEE helps there, though if its only a few pounds you don’t have to worry too much.

Hope that helps until someone can give you a better answer.

Thanks for the reply. My total amount of calories for the day was under 600. I was just a little worried about fat, as eggs and bacon definitely have more fat than vegetables etc. At the same time they are low carb, high in protein, and fill me up for longer periods. Not to mention it’s more my style. The bacon was a leaner, center cut bacon, and I only did 2 pieces. I’m not overly worried about my fast days. It’s the off days that get me. The wife is doing this with me which makes it easier. The hard part is all of the social activities and kids activities we attend.

Hi,

I occasionally incorporate a basterdised version of a diet I have done in the past. Bacon or ham and eggs for breakfast, meat or fish and salad for lunch, meat and veg for dinner. Oddly tomato juice.

It’s a British Heart Foundation diet, no restrictions on meat, fried, boiled or roasted, so not very different to what you are doing.

If you try swapping foods around, you see what works best, I think you might come to the conclusion that what you are eating I’d just fine.

There is no rule that says you HAVE to eat 600 calories, either, but if it’s just a few pounds it will likely just drop off. My hubby does a sort of half hearted fast, but eats bacon and eggs and bacon virtues regularly, sure just to wind me up with the smell, and he has lost about 9 lbs. Never counted a calorie, he eats what I eat, and then usually something else. Cut out lots of rubbish though. Idea is when you get to target it’s just one fast day a week. Rest of the time normal, but not overeat normal. Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.