Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 18,951 through 19,000 (of 28,029 total)

• Welcome Margie & Kanga – you are both starting the right way – by actually reading the book! If you have questions feel free to ask and we’ll do our best to help – we remember that someone held our hand in the beginning too.

Quacka, how’s the pesto going? I’ve just made 3 batches (small batches as I don’t have a large food processor anymore). I started with this recipe but adjusted it as I went along to get a flavour I liked.
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/fresh_basil_pesto/
    This is my process: https://imgur.com/a/BMGNMz5
    The main adjustments for me were:
    – I toasted the pine nuts before I used them
    – I used a bit more garlic
    – and a bit less parmesan
    – I also replaced half of the EV olive oil with lemon infused olive oil (not a traditional touch, but I love the flavour).
    So far I’ve done half of my basil plants. I’ll leave the rest for now as I want to add sundried tomatoes to the next batch and I actually need to make the sundried tomatoes first! That’s the next job.

I think you also asked about drying basil. I did try that once – I just hung bunches upside down to airdry. The leaves didn’t do well – they went black and retained little of their original flavour. However the flower heads dried really well and kept the basil flavour. The best ones to dry are those that have lots of tight little round green nodules that haven’t actually opened into flowers yet. Once dried I put these into a glass jar and they kept well for a year. I found that to use them they were a bit big and spiky so I just ground them with a pestle and mortar.

Time for a cuppa.

So many posts here tonight that I’m still not caught up reading them all. Thin, I was going to suggest a hot air balloon ride for DD, but if she already did sky diving that might be a little bit too tame. Swimming with dolphins?

DH asked me the other day why we’ve been having so much zucchini when it’s not in season now. I guess after reading LJ and Cinque’s recipes and descriptions of zucchini dishes, I’ve had zucchini on my mind. 😁 I cook broccoli more often, so it’s a nice change.

Welcome to Margie and Kanga. I hope you find the 5:2 way of eating and losing weight as easy and helpful as most of the rest of us here.

Quacka, if you don’t get around to making that pesto you could always hang up some sprigs of Basil to dry. I did that with a lot of the Thai Basil from last summer and I’m glad to have it now. It’s amazing how much flavor it still has.

FM, thank you for the chickpea recipe. I love that it’s so quick and easy looking with just a few ingredients. Today was my Monday FD, but maybe I’ll try it tomorrow.

LJ, love those op shop finds. I have to get over to mine again. I haven’t been there since before Christmas.

Anzac, we probably haven’t been to a movie in 15 years either. With big screen TV’s and good sound systems, it’s so much nicer to stream movies in the comfort of our own home. Food is nearby and we can pause the movies for potty breaks. 😁 What could be better? But I have a feeling it may be a while before Bohemian Rhapsody is released to DVD or for streaming.

For those of you who’ve seen Bohemian Rhapsody, did it include anything about his recording of the Barcelona album with operatic soprano Montserrat Caballé? I bought the CD in 2015 after hearing someone playing it and asking them what it was. It didn’t come in a digital version so I had to rip it to my computer. Here’s a YouTube video of the title song from it:
    Barcelona https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hkskujG0UYc

Welcome Kanga, the Fasting Diet is guaranteed to work, it’s proved by science and research ! I was doing Keto and lost nothing! I have been on the Fasting diet for 17 weeks and have lost 14.7 kg and am so much happier and healthier !

@cali , no it didn’t include his recording with Mobserrat Caballe. I bought the soundtrack and love listening to it while relaxing in my bubble bath !

@ LJ thanks for the pancetta suggestion. You sound like a gourmet cook !

Welcome to another Perthie , Margie ! I am north of the river and Thin is south of the river. Which one are you ? Good luck with the Fast Diet. After the first week it is easy !

Hello all. I’m from Sydney. I have ordered the book for the fast diet, and eagerly awaiting its delivery. I have been watching YouTube on 5:2 as well as reading this forum. Should I check with my GP first? I’m btw 40 and 45 yrs, female and my BMI is over 30, less than 35.
    I’m hoping to lose 5kg initially then ultimately another 15kg. But that just sounds too difficult so my focus is one kilo at a time, to reach the initial five.
    I’ve written a food plan for the FDs. Fish, soup and salad basically.
    Or chicken some days.
    Any tips for new ppl are welcome.

Liberty – welcome! I’m in my 5th year of 5:2. From reading your first post, I would say that you are doing everything right! Reading the book before you do anything else makes good sense because there are as many variations as there are posters here and it can get so confusing. I’m a ‘naked 5:2’ advocate i.e. I practice it exactly as prescribed and it delivered exactly what it advertised (which is that I can have anything I want most of the time).

I agree with you also about setting small goals. I set out to lose 10kg initially but it was so easy, I ultimately lost 23kg and have maintained my new weight of below 60kg for the past 41 months, actually losing 2kg more along the way. I wouldn’t see any reason to check with your GP first unless you think you have some medical condition contraindicating fasting. Highly unlikely IMHO but I’m not a doctor. Going without food is generally a good thing.

Writing a food plan is also a great idea. I planned out my Fast Day meals for 4 weeks at a time when I started and did that for several months. Nowadays, I rely on a handful of recipes every fast day that I found gave me the biggest bang for my calories. Have a look at our recipe page for more ideas. https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/southern-hemispherites-fd-recipes/. Count absolutely everything that passes your lips – milk in coffee, herbal tea bags, etc, don’t try to ‘wing it’. It won’t work. Calorie counting a big pain but it’s not forever.

Hunger comes and goes in waves and can be distracted through activity. It doesn’t have to be satiated with food. Learn to embrace hunger and know that it’s doing something good for your body – and maybe your soul.

Don’t let anyone derail you. least of all yourself. FDs are non-negotiable. Get them mastered and then later you can worry about improving food behaviours on the other days – I found that they actually sort themselves out without your even realising it. So good luck.

CalifD, hello. Where’ve you been? Thanks for the idea – been there, done that I’m afraid! Birthday is tomorrow and I’ve organised some stuff now. A combination of activities, rock climbing & backpacking gear and some cash (lame, I know).

Loved Freddie Mercury’s work with Montserrat Caballé and we can only wonder at all the music we’re missing out on due to his untimely death. Do you have a full on home theatre?

“I hope you find the 5:2 way of eating and losing weight as easy and helpful as most of the rest of us here.” Are you going to name and shame? Who didn’t? Ha ha!

LJ et all, I have some basil growing from seed. I hope it grows quickly so that I can try these pesto recipes.

So much for one post a day. I’m useless.

Back again – it’s hard being absent for more than a day; there are so many posts to catch up on. Yesterday’s FD was a failure, and made up for it today, which is good.
    Cinque, thank you, yes, I’m feeling better – a couple of solid nights’ sleep helps greatly in throwing off things trying to latch on.
    Cinque, thinatlast, and LJoyce, yes I enjoyed the new book, but the only change I am implementing (which I think some of you do anyway) is the TRE (time restricted eating) – skip breakfast (Yay!) and eat in a smaller window of time daily. My brother’s partner did only that, 18:6, and has lost heaps of weight. Supposed to encourage mild ketosis.

Anzac65 & thinatlast, I seem to be one of the “arrive early to everything” brigade. I even arrive earlier than necessary at airports. With meals, when I invite people I tell them we will be eating at …., and if someone is not there at that time, I just put food aside for them; I don’t wait for them to come.

Rosy Posy, what a great weight result. Encouraging for me and the other newbies!!!!
    I concurred with Intesha’s comment re you having to clean out your MIL’s home – “heartbreaking to dismantle someone’s life”.

Well, I finally went to the dr to ask permission to change taking my meds to the evening meal (which I’ve been doing for a few weeks already) – he was fine with it, and pleased with the 4kg weight I’ve already lost (since mid-November). A drop in the bucket, but …a start. But then he sent me for blood tests, and I have to see him in another month, … sigh! Not for anything which I think is a problem, either. He’s a very meticulous medico, which I guess I should be thankful for.

I sympathise with everyone’s in-law’ and relatives’ problems, glad they’re not mine.

Morning all, from beautiful cold Glasgow, where the temps dipped to 1 last night. We had a very bracing walk over to the Museum yesterday, through the wonderful Kelvingrove Park. It feels very good, being back here. I’m getting my ear tuned to the Glasgow accent. I am amazed to remember my OH sounded like this, when first I met him. He becomes more Glaswegian, the longer we are here.
    Discovered a set of scales in this apartment – and assuming they are the same as mine at home, I’ve put on a kilo, which given that I’ve eaten basically what I want, is not too bad. Actually, I do find that ‘what I want’ is quite different from what I would have chosen, before this WOL.

And later in the day …we have been walking – miles actually. We have done about 15000 steps today so far, and it’s not yet dark…just 4.00 pm. I think it’s the extra activity, combined with regular home cooked meals, that’s keeping my weight stable.

Cinque and Minka, I just loved the photo of the two of you, catching up. You both look so well and happy and light. Beautiful. I’d love to meet up, one day .

Quacka, I’m with you about snakes. I am wary of them, but not afraid, and think they get a bad rap. Now show me a cockroach, and that’s a different story. I have a real phobia. In the sub-tropics they get in from time to time, even with full screens. I wake in fright if I think one is in the bedroom – More than once my poor OH has had to get up in the middle of the night to help me change all the bed linen, when a cocky ran across me and I was scared silly it was still in the bed.

I haven’t caught up at all with the new folk ….but welcome, and hope you do well with this program. I’ve been reading what you’ve written about the new 800 cal approach – I don’t think it’s for me, but lovely thank you to get the precis.

Thin, no, not a full on home theater, just a 65 inch LED TV and surround sound stereo system made up of a few different brand components. I would love to have the space and money for a full home theater! But considering it would only be used maybe one night per week and would be a big room to heat or cool, depending on the season, it would be an extravagance.
    When you mentioned that you “once kissed Kenny Rogers in a toilet…” was that a causal peck on the cheek or a full on face suck? 😁😆😂 Inquiring minds need to know! 😉
    Ok, maybe not everyone here finds 5:2 easy, but all of us here seem to be sticking to it one way or another or at least coming back. I think it’s easiest when you just decide FDs are non-negotiable and stick strictly to 2 per week. No agonizing decisions about whether you can do it or not. You can. Just do it. (Overeating on NFDs can be challenging but even when you do, unless you go hog wild, weight loss still seems to follow, although more slowly.)

Rosy, here are the ingredients for a classic Caesar from the NYT cooking section. Caesar salad is one of my all time favorites, but few restaurants get it right.
    INGREDIENTS
    About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 cup rustic bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
    Salt
    freshly ground black pepper
    1 clove garlic, halved
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 to 3 tablespoons minced anchovies, or to taste
    Dash Worcestershire sauce
    1 large head romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn into pieces
    ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan

PREPARATION
    Put 2 tablespoons of the oil in a skillet large enough to hold the bread in a single layer and turn heat to medium. When oil shimmers, add bread and sprinkle with salt and pepper; brown lightly on all sides, adding a little more oil if necessary. Remove and set aside.
    Rub the inside of a salad bowl with the garlic clove; discard it. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Pierce a tiny hole in the broad end of each egg with a pin or needle and boil them for 60 to 90 seconds; they will just begin to firm up. Crack them into the salad bowl, being sure to scoop out the white that clings to the shell.
    Beat eggs with a fork. Gradually add lemon juice and 6 tablespoons oil, beating all the while. Stir in anchovies and Worcestershire. Taste and add salt if needed, and lots of pepper. Toss well with lettuce; top with Parmesan and croutons; toss again at table. Serve immediately.

The only thing I might do differently is to toast the bread croutons with some fresh garlic. And may add a bit more lemon juice after tasting it. Some restaurants around here add mayo to the dressing which I detest. I don’t like any additional ingredients added.

Good morning everyone

Welcome Liberty 🙂

Just a quick post today as I am writing on my phone. My iPad decided to die yesterday and so this is it until I can sort a new one out.

LJ I still haven’t made the pesto but OH has gone surfing so I will be making it in about half hour. I WILL!!
    Our oven has been under performing for a while now and the last straw was at Christmas when I tried to make pizzas for the family and I couldn’t get them to crisp on the bottom even a little bit. I even put them down on the floor of the oven, where they definitely should have crisped, and still nothing. So I think the bottom element had gone. Anyway, yesterday we bought a new oven. OH installed it yesterday and we cooked some jalapeño poppers and baked mushrooms in it last night. I’m amazed how quickly things cook when the oven actually works lol
    The mushrooms turned out really yummy, an OH special. He wanted to use miso, wasabi and garlic to make a sauce. An unusual combination but one that worked really well. He melted some butter and cooked the garlic first then added the miso paste dissolved in a bit of water. Added wasabi until he liked the flavour (not heaps, just enough to get the flavour but not too much heat), then we added half a hot chilli finally chopped for some heat. Tossed this all together with the mushrooms and baked them. Delicious!

Lindsay I’m not scared of cockroaches but I hate the idea of things crawling on me when I’m asleep. I often wake up, jump out of bed and turn the light on and throw back the covers trying to find what it was that just ‘crawled’ over me! So many times I’ve been searching for things I was sure had been crawling on me. OH laughs and says it was probably just my hair (he’s probably right most of the time too). There have been a few times though when I’ve then found a cockroach close by and it was definitely that, ok? Lol.

Well I better go. I have things to do. I’m making pesto and then playing with my new oven. I’m thinking of roasting pumpkin to make a pearl cous cous and veggie salad. No recipe, I will just make it up as I go.

Have a lovely day all x

Goodmorning,

A big welcome to three newcomers! Hello Kanga, Margie and Liberty.
    Lovely to have you here!

Anzac, thankyou. My tidying was limited to clearing the floor so my sister could get to the bed, and clearing the bed so she could sleep in it.
    And somehow the day all fell together beautifully. I have today and tomorrow morning with my sisters too. Precious time. But I think it will have to be Friday Fast Day!

Hope you had a great fast day, even without your proper lunch! You did well over the holidays and it is back to serious business now!

Rosy Posy, what a lovely big loss that has caught up with you after all your good work. Congratulations. But Oh dear, isn’t it awful to find you have shrunk. I have lost a couple inches, it was a shock (since I was already a shorty). I hope the rest of your MIL’s property sorting is not too complicated and that the sale goes well.

Gday, that is bad news about your back. It seems to be healing quickly, fingers crossed that continues. Haha re your Other Half. I hope he settles down with his avid fitbitting, but what a healthy OH you will have! Paperwork, eep! The piles of it get more complicated as they grow, I know. I hope you got through it!

Intesha, so glad your dad is gradually allowing you to get rid of more stuff. You will love having your verandah back.

Op Shops. LJoyce I completely agree! The styles, the fabrics, the sizes, the colours. Such a huge range. I’ve had a lovely run on finding things made from a silk/cotton mix, which just might be my favourite fabric of all.

Thin, still downsizing! What a minimalist home you must have by now. That is my aim, and this is the year for it!
    Snogging Kenny Rogers! What a claim to fame!

Cali, haha with eating zucchini. I wish I could poke the three I picked yesterday through the monitor to your place. They are so lovely and tasty.

Poor Betsy, you’d have had two big pages to read through, this thread is powering along at the moment! Hold on! It always slows down eventually. And we can enjoy the variety of topics going on at the moment. Glad you had a good day after yesterdays failure. Keeping on keeping on is the best trick.
    I’m glad the doctor indicated you have been making good decisions about your meds.

Lindsay, hooray for all that walking around Glasgow to counterbalance the lack of fast days. I remember Thin finding the same thing on her holidays. And I agree with that wonderful thing that happens as we stay on 5:2, where our food choices naturally change to be healthier.

Ha Quacka, found your post before I hit ‘submit’. I’ll believe that pesto when I see it! Hooray for your new oven!

Well I’m off. Sending lots of good wishes to everyone. Enjoy what you eat. Especially if it is a little fast day meal. Catch you later!

Good morning! A quick post from me too as the boss came in early for a change AND gave me lots of work to do so I don’t have time for a nice long post. Rude 🙂

Lindsay – I share your cockroach phobia. To the degree that I become hysterical if I see one.

Thin, I chuckled (as I often do) at your post. Snogging Kenny Rogers! You legend!!

Cali – thanks for the Caesar recipe, I love it too but can’t have it as I have an intolerance for creamy salad dressings. But I reckon if I make it myself it will be ok

Had a great FD yesterday, up there with the best. I was surprised as I thought I would struggle after 2.5 weeks off but I didn’t and I’m happy. The scales were too – 1.2kg off! That will mostly be water weight from my over indulgences during my break. Today unfortunately we have a team lunch and they have chosen the dreaded Italian. I looked at the menu and I don’t like any of the salads so I’m ordering a pizza, will eat a couple of slices and take the rest home to hubby. I also have carrot sticks to nibble before we go so I won’t be famished

Ok back to work, hi to everyone else, sorry I can’t reply to you all. Also a huge welcome to Liberty. You have chosen well and this forum is awesome.

8am Wednesday, Adelaide
    Good morning Southern Hemispherites.

Welcome Liberty, the book will explain the basics and being prepared is quite important. Setting small achievable goals and working out a final goal later is also a good way to start – otherwise it can feel overwhelming. Some of us also found that the weight where we ended up settling was different to what we originally aimed for.

Quacka, just pick the basil, then you are committed. That’s what I did yesterday, although I just started with 3 plants as that was 5 cups of leaves.

Cinque, I like the feel of most natural fabrics on my skin, I just don’t like the ironing – that’s always a factor in my choices. Another change I made when I retired as I got sick of the ironing that my work clothing required.

Cali, thanks for the caesar recipe – I didn’t realise it doesn’t include bacon as I’ve never been served one here without it. With all that oil it’s easy to see why it’s said the be the highest calorie salad commonly available.

Lindsay, I’m sure all that walking is helping your weight remain fairly stable. Sounds like you are settling into Glasgow. Was the museum good – did the little girls like it?

Betsy, glad you have your meds sorted. In my experience our GPs are glad for any weight loss when he have health issues that will be improved by it.
    I am one of those that does mostly 16:8 although occasionally I’ll start eating mid-morning. An easy choice for someone like me who is rarely hungry first thing in the morning. Cutting out evening snacking was a much harder task.

Rosy, definitely not a gourmet cook. I love baking but I view other cooking in a more practical way. I’m not good at sticking to recipes – I see cooing as a chance to experiment – sometimes it’s wonderful and other times it’s an epic fail!

Anzac, well done on that big weight loss.

Thin, happy birthday to your daughter – it is today isn’t it?

Well I need to get organised, I have a physio appointment across town this morning. I have decided to fast today instead of tomorrow as planned. There’s a chance that I might need to shift my Sunday fast to Saturday this weekend, so fasting today will make that easier as I still get a 2 day NFD break.

Have a good day all.

https://i.imgur.com/JeWCx1y.jpg

Pesto done! Two different lots. One with lemon juice and chilli, one traditional. Thanks LJ for the idea to freeze flat so I can just break off a piece as I need to.
    I saw your post above but haven’t read it as I need to clean up the huge mess I have made lol
    Will be back later to catch up

Good morning losers!

I’ve had my walk as it’s forecast for 33C and we are heading out to Penguin Island for DD’s birthday (thank you LJ, yes today). We have decided to drive down to where the ferry leaves from and if it’s jam packed with hoards of people, we will just go to the beach there today instead and go to the island when the school holidays end.

I enjoyed today’s posts so much! Quacka, that’s a quick post? Laughing. Loved the pesto!

Anzac, inconsiderate boss expecting work to be done instead of posting here, ha ha. Tell him or her it’s a mental health requirement that you begin your day here. Great news on the successful FD and the 1.2kg loss, congratulations!

Betsy, hopefully you learned from your failed FD and good job getting back on track today. Lindsay is a fan of the eating window. I practice it on FDs with a 6 hour eating window. I try on the other days, it’s made easier as I can’t eat early in the morning but I do love my coffee. I must re-instate the limit at the other end of the day – how’s that going for you LJ and CalifD?

Lindsay, good to hear from you. I, too, seem to lose weight on our overseas holidays with all the extra walking and activity. And you tend to eat only when hungry because there’s so much to distract you. I hope your OH is loving his time there and that it’s taken his mind off his limited eyesight.

CalifD, loved your post. In particular the Caesar Salad recipe – fabulous! I cannot deal with the chef’s own take on a CS which basically means they have no clue how to make it. The only place I have ever had one done correctly was at a French restaurant in Tijuana called ‘Sommelier’. The waiters prepared the salad at the table which is pretty much the only way it can be served properly otherwise the egg will not be correct. We used to cross the border regularly to go there for dinner (and stock up on Kahlúa of course!).

You cracked me up asking for details about Kenny Rogers. This happened 40+ years ago! I took my then bf to his show for his b/d (though it was I who was the big fan). At one point, I ran down near the stage to take some photos, no-one moved me on so I stayed down there. There I met a photographer for the local rag whose camera had malfunctioned. He asked if he could have my roll of film (some of you might not know what this is) with all my photos. In return, he said he’d get me backstage where he’d use my camera to take more photos for his paper. So, I ended up in KR’s dressing room with this guy and KR with me posing for photos and one of them is a kiss. Unfortunately, the toilet is in the background! Poor bf never saw me the whole evening.

Also loved what you wrote about 5:2: “I think it’s easiest when you just decide FDs are non-negotiable and stick strictly to 2 per week. No agonizing decisions about whether you can do it or not. You can. Just do it.” A perfect summary of what has to be done. It will only work if you put at least that much effort in.

Also, I should have said to the newbies (well, Margie asked for tips) to weigh and measure everything before you start. Arms, thighs, calves, everything.

Cinque, so funny about clearing a path so you DS could make it to the bed and then having to clear off the bed! Glad you’re having fun. With all my downsizing, you would think we would have nothing left – yet every cupboard and every drawer still contains ‘stuff’. I cannot comprehend how we acquired all these possessions when neither of us enjoys shopping. I keep records just for fun and I’ve been averaging $350 a week since October. That doesn’t mean much as some things are $10, others in the hundreds. And besides those collecting in person, so much is being shipped to Queensland – why is that?

LJ, keep the fasting fires burning please. I’ll take over tomorrow. I’ll need it as there will be too much food today – Italian restaurant plus cake no doubt. Not keen on either.

*Sorry, no time for editing or fact checking!
    That was Liberty asking for tips!
    Cinque: youR DS.

Wednesday 11.30am. Well I should have been back at work today but a spectacular fall last night has set back my healing. Actually, I’m sure it looked quite comical but I can assure you I wasn’t laughing.

I was moving a very large glass vase full of water and flowers (from OH) from the dining table to the tv cabinet when my foot tripped on the corner of a cardboard box sitting in front of the tv. Over I went. As I had both hands holding the vase and I didn’t want to let it go (as it would have surely smashed into the tv) I could not break my fall with my arms. So there I was, over on my side, wedged between the tv cabinet and the cardboard box still holding the vase perfectly upright without a spill of water. Well done to me I thought….no spills and no broken glass vase or tv.

Unfortunately MissD had a huge tower made of Lego sitting on top of the cardboard box so you can imagine what happened to that. I was wearing shorts so my skin is riddled with cuts and bruises from the Lego corners and my back is just as painful as it was when I first sustained my injury on Sunday.

Oh no Gday! If it were done by stunt people yes it might be funny…but otherwise not remotely. I’m so sorry and I hope you heal quickly

Happy birthday to DD Thin, and hope your day out is wonderful

Happy fasting today LJ…my second one is tomorrow. I too rarely stick to recipes and often have epic fails; but I figure that is the best way to learn. I can’t do ‘off the cuff’ yet and have to have a recipe as a base but as time goes on I am getting more and more adventurous.

Betsy, don’t worry about the failed FD, they happen as we are human and life happens around us. I am the queen of failed FD’s but still trekking along. My goal for 2019 is to actually stick to the mantra ‘FD’s are not negotiable’. So far my track record for 2019 is 100% (1 out of 1 :))

Oh poor G’day. As falls go, that one was spectacular. Hope you mend soon.
    LJ, the Museum was wonderful and the little girls were beside themselves, especially the 5 year old. Apparently it’s the second most visited attraction in the UK, after the Tower. We’ll go to the People’s Palace (more ethnographic) today but back to Kelvingrove tomorrow. Today’s highlight was watching a fox stalking a duck on the riverbank. Just as it got close, the duck slid into the water and sailed away (thank goodness).
    Quacka, Anzac, good to know it’s not just me and cockroaches. Dreadful things.
    Betty, as Thin remembers (she is amazing for recalling the details about us all), I do practise 16:8 at home. Here on holidays it is more 14:10, but I never eat without a 12 hour break, minimum. Well, extremely rarely. I think it really works for me.
    Happy birthday to DD Thin..
    Ok it is 3.20 am and it is time to try to get back to sleep. Insomnia….Grrrr…. it’s the bane of my existence. Night all.

Welcome to the new posters.

In answer to the question about why grains are bad for us, this is what the Wheat Belly book has to say.

Wheat and other grains are essentially the seeds of grasses. Ruminants (cows, sheep, goats etc) have digestive systems designed to eat grass and grains whereas humans do not which is why we did not eat grains until recently in our existence when agriculture boomed to feed the growing population of the planet.

Livestock is now feed grain (and hormones) to fatten them up quickly for slaughter so one must wonder what eating grains does for human weight gain.

Modern wheat has been so heavily modified, processed and chemically sprayed to suit agriculture needs (not health needs) they no longer resemble the original grain.

Effects of grains/wheat on the human body include –

– Nutritional deficiencies, mineral depletion and stops the absorption of vitamins (hence why bread is fortified now which is ironic because eating bread has caused the issue in the first place)

– interferes with gut flora, the endocrine gland (hormones, estrogen and testosterone), digestion, bowel, gut and sleep function and the regulation of metabolic processes

– causes inflammation, skin and joint issues

It’s certainly made me re-think about the grains I eat that I assumed were ok such as rye bread and mountain wraps, brown rice and spelt flour.

Food for thought everyone

Thanks for the warm welcomes! My Fast Diet book arrived!! busy reading it today 🙂 I’ll start fasting either tomorrow (if I finish the book by then) or next Monday.
    Funny thing is, I’m on holidays from work and lost 1kg already before I start!… but probably just coz of all the decluttering and tidying I’ve been doing – I was inspired by Marie Kondo’s Netflix TV show.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the welcomes and hellos. Welcome to Margie and Liberty, fellow newbies too. I finished the Fast Diet book last night. Found it a bit repetitive to be honest. Great read, but I felt like it should’ve just gotten on with it already. Anyway, I borrowed the Fast Diet Recipe Book from the library today. Can’t wait to dig into it.

What are some of your very fast and fave recipes (preferably with only a few ingredients)?

I made a huge Greek salad yesterday with feta cheese, scoffed it all, then was hungry about an hour later. Not promising! Wasn’t a fast day, but I was curious how long it would fill me up for.

How did you all start 5:2? Bonus points if you have tips for doing it with kids, including a teenager who likes cooking sweets and cakes. Did you just start immediately or did you ‘psych’ yourselves up to prepare first? I need help to make sure this is a success!

GDSA, sorry to hear you have sustained more injuries. Hope you recover quickly. Hope your DD recovers from the loss of her lego creation too.

Lindsay, sounds like there are lots of sights to keep everyone happy in Glasgow. I’m also glad that the duck got away – I doubt the little ones would have been quite so keep to see feathers and blood flying everywhere.

Anzac, 100% success rate, now that’s a way to start the new year!
    Anzac, the closest I get to “off the cuff” are safe options that I already know will be within the 500 limit. For me that’s a veggie stirfry or a 2 egg omelette with veg filling or a container of soup that I’ve pulled out of the freezer. Everything else has to be planned.

Liberty, I hope the book is doing a good job of explaining 5:2. I would recommend you consider when you are usually hungry when planning FD foods. Michael Mosley decided to eat breakfast and dinner as that suited his hunger pattern. I rarely feel hungry in the morning so I felt that wasting scarce calories on breakfast on a FD would be foolish. Initially I decided to eat lunch and dinner and eventually I moved to just having dinner with a fruit or veg snack in the afternoon if I really am hungry.

Thin, I wasn’t sure if you were asking about my evening eating curfew or my cut-off point for caffeine. Both are going well. I never compromise on the eating curfew. I learned a long time ago that it has to be an absolute rule for me to adhere to it. When the curfew starts basically depends on when I’ve finished dinner – which varies from day to day, but is rarely later than 7:30. Caffeine is a goal not a hard and fast rule, although I never have caffeine after 5pm when I’m home – if I’m out then I sometimes do. I have made my own chai spice blend that I put into a teapot with a decaffeinated tea bag – that’s my evening cuppa.

Quacka, well done on the pesto. I may have managed to keep up with the zucchini and basil lately but I’m getting swamped with cherry tomatoes. https://imgur.com/a/Rm8hdLy I have also noticed that my eggplants finally have some fruit developing – I’d almost given up hope!

After the physio appointment this morning I drove to the plant nursery to get my crepe myrtle tree. Unfortunately, even though I was prepared to pay for a large tree, I couldn’t get one in either of the two blossom colours I like. So I settled for a 1m tall tree with white blossom. I decided that as I won’t be planting it out for another 2 months, I could re-pot it and hope for some more root development before it goes into the ground. So I repotted it and gave it a good water and now I hope it will do well until I plant it out. https://imgur.com/a/tPy2bG7 It doesn’t look like much, but this is what I’m hoping the tree will look like: http://www.diamondsinthedark.com.au/ The nursery said they’ve been really popular and they can’t get any more stock of the larger trees – I probably should have bought it in December as I was previously advised to do.

Today’s FD has been OK but I have had more hunger than usual. I suspect it’s because it was an impromptu decision to fast so I hadn’t mentally prepared for it. This afternoon I have eaten a small banana, a small plum and a handful of cherry tomatoes this afternoon. I’ll still be under 500 cals though as dinner is a modest sized bowl of veg & red lentil soup.

Hi guys, have been out and about most of the day so now am checking in while doing my reclining exercise bike session.

One of the things I got done today was to pop in to my local medical centre to ask the nurse to measure my height so I could get an accurate bmi. The height difference between the 171 cm of my youth to when hub and I measured my height seemed too great even though I understand lower height when you are older is due to narrowing of the spaces between joints and discs. Hub and I tried to be as accurate as possible but the nurse told me it is impossible to be exact at home, the top of your head curves etc. Anyway she used a gadget and got an exact height for me. Yes I have shrunk but not as much as much as. I had thought. I have shrunk 2 cm from 171 cm to 169 cm which is 5ft 6 and a half inches in the old money which makes my bmi 24.2 which is too high although within the healthy range which is 52.8 kg to 71.1.

Now for some replies.

@lj your fast day rule mindset is exactly what Mimi says in the FD book. Yes it is non Negotiable and the rules have to be followed. I don’t allow myself to consider any alternatives too.

I love my coffee and have 2 to 3 cups before midday but I have found since I turned a certain age, if I have any after lunch , I can’t sleep at night. It’s strange that I have developed a caffeine sensitivity as I used to love a late afternoon coffee.

Kanga I went to my gp complaining about my knee X-ray results which said I have mod to severe arthritis in my right knee (used to do long distance running). She said I could have a cortisone injection, surgery or take the pressure off it by dropping some kg. I was also tired all the time (I work full time ) and had high blood pressure . She recommended the Fast Diet which would fit in with our active social life. Now almost 15 kg later and great blood pressure, I feel happy and healthy and I can see light at the end of the tunnel with about 7 kg to go. I am an all or nothing person so I want to avoid food all together and not unleash temptation. The girls on this forum are brilliant cooks and most of them are on maintainance and they’ve managed to do it with tasty food. I have done it differently and it has worked for me.I am on holidays at the moment so am able to fast more stringently but when I am at work I use Define women’s protein shake. I used to have one for breakfast but I am going to experiment with delaying the time I drink it When Ibreturn to work. I always have 2 coffees for breaky with skim milk. I take a frozen shake to work and sip it slowly as it thaws. When I get to work I have my last coffee for the day and a huge cup of bouillon ( made with I Massel chicken stock cube and boiling water. That actually satisfies me till close till lunch when I start sipping my second protein shake. When I get home I have a massive glass of Metamucil with ice and an effervescent Berocca multi vitamin and this swells up and fills my stomach. I drink lemon and mint , I iced water for the rest of the night . I realise this wouldn’t work for most people but it does for me as we are usually out 2 or 3 nights each weekend when I avoid the worst carbs but mainly eat and drink as I please. The Fast Diet is so flexible. I do stick to the rules on fast days though.
    I’m on holidays at the moment so have cut out the protein shakes on fast days as I don’t need as much protein/energy and can visit the toilet as much as I need to due to all the water.

@liberty , congrats rev your weight loss already ! Re drs visits/approval, I go to my dr once a month and she weighs me and tests my blood pressure. The monthly weigh ins make me accountable as I don’t want her disapproval. I was petrified I’d be in trouble on my last visit ,Dec 29 because of all the indulgences of the Silly season. I didn’t lose my usual 3 to 4 kg but I did lose 2 kg and I think it was knowing that my gp would weigh me stopped me going overboard. Everyone is different and we all do things that work for us individually.

@gday, so sorry to hear about your awful fall. I hope you are starting to feel less pain and improve. I was fascinated to read your summary of why grains are no good for us, it makes perfect sense. I, too erroneously believed that brown rice, mountain bread etc was a healthy option. Having said I am dreaming about all that naughty rice at the paella party I am going to on Saturday night.

All you girls talking about creepy crawlies made me think of a close encounter I had with a mouse. I was working in the wheatbelt of WA and was pouring my sons’ cereal into bowls when out of the packet and into the bowl jumped a mouse ! Naturally I screamed and it seemed to take an eternity for the mouse to scramble out of the bowl, across the table and away. I scoured the house after that and invested in plastic containers for dry food but it has put me off cereal for Life!

@Thin, hope your DD had a lovely birthday. It was quite warm today in Perth so I hope it was cooler at the beach and that you managed to avoid the crowds and the sun.

@cali thanks so much for taking the time and trouble of giving us the secret to an authentic Caesar Salad, much appreciated, it makes my mouth water just reading it.

@Anzac congrats re your 1.2/kg loss, well done L

@cinque, thanks for your warm fuzzies re my weight loss. I hope you had a lovely time with your sisters.

@betsy Lea thanks for your congrats. I am currently reading the Fast 800 and it has given me quite a lot of food for thought ( not eating lol)

Hi Everyone!

I often read or skim a whole page or two of posts and by the time I reach this box to write a response, I’ve forgotten some of what I want to say!

Thin, this is a response from pages back! I loved reading about how you culled your retro clothing collection. The selections went to what sounded like the perfect home! I even wondered if the young woman who purchased them might be a budding seamstress and wanted them to use for patterns! …Or maybe she is an fashion designer who wants to use them for inspiration. Around the time I read your post, we saw a segment on the ABC News about the ‘Frock Club’ and even wondered if the young woman might have been attending one of their events!

Here is ABC links if you want to check it out for fun:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-06/frock-club-models/10671582

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-06/frock-club/10673190

Cinque, interesting reading about your family and the late arrivals! I have to give Mr M the most credit for our arrival on time! I’m always on the verge of being late, though when attending any event, engagement or appointment with Mr M means that I always arrive on time, usually with a bit of time to spare! That’s one quality of his I do very much appreciate. I wish I had more of the punctuality gene and do admire those who are, and that goes for you too, Cinque! If only I were able to depart with ease when heading out the door. I definitely have to work hard to be on time! Seems there’s always something else I think of to do before leaving when going out the door (a window to close, a water bottle to fill, keys to locate; much to Mr M’s chagrin!

Rosy, I’m a Leo and would prefer to be Aquarian, Taurus, Virgo or Libra. I’m not sure I feel like a ‘Leo’ except that maybe this is why I like to show off wearing the pretty dresses? I’m also a Chinese Fire Monkey and I do like and relate to the traits often associated with that sign which include ‘monkeying around’ which I love to do! I also get along well with other monkeys and the more the merrier, like a barrel of monkeys!

LJ what a beautiful tree you’ve selected! With your green thumb, I see that tree growing prolifically to the point of needing a new pot very soon! Those varied colored cherry tomatoes and other vegetables I’ve seen in the photos you’ve posted prove your green thumb!

Calif, I haven’t read all the posts since you asked, so this may be redundant! In any case, Bohemian Rapsody didn’t cover the part of Freddy Mercury’s life in which he produced the classical album with the opera singer. The film focused on his meeting the other members of Queen and his mainly his music career progressing with them. There were indirect references to ‘Under Pressure’ which was made in collaboration with David Bowie and about Freddie’s personal life breaking down during the period he decided to stop making music with the other members of Queen, though that was it as far as the story line of the film went. I loved the film and especially to see it on the big screen. Mr M has a copy of the Barcelona album and was very disappointed that the movie didn’t at all cover that aspect since he feels it is one of his greatest accomplishments and is the main direction in which he was headed before he passed away.

I’ve been doing quite well balancing my TDEE bank account until today! I decided to buy 4 LCHF cookies from the Robina Paleo bakery and the clerk said she had hazelnut flavor out the back that just came out of the oven so did I want to buy 2 more and make it a half dozen? Of course I replied ‘Yes’. I then went around the corner to order one of my favorite hamburgers wrapped in lettuce leaf from Betty’s Burger and Concrete Company to take back to where Mr M was sitting in a food court in another part of the mall. Betty’s makes all their burgers to order and it was crowded and I was starving. So what did I do? I decided to have my dessert first and eat one of the cookies out of the bag. It was long gone before the hamburger order arrived! I’ve been munching on the rest of the cookies now that we’re back home, ever since. Yes they are healthy (and delicious), though they still contain a considerable amount of calories. How many I don’t know since they are hand made at this bakery and no ‘Nutrition Profile’ is available, which puts me into a bit of free fall with regards to calories consumed. This is the first day since returning from Melbourne that I haven’t worked with my TDEE and calorie balance! Given my attention to TDEE and the calorie balance I’m currently square at the lower end of my wiggle room range at 57 kg. I’m sure all that fiber from the cookies will be slowly moving through the digestive tract so that the scales will show quite a different number tomorrow morning! As difficult as it is, I will weigh in. If I don’t, I’m sure I’ll continue to go off the rails tomorrow too! I need the wake up call! Next FD is Friday. Nonetheless, I did enjoy the cookies!

Cheers!

@minka, I’d kill to be 57 kg ! Well done ! Would you say you are tall, average or petite in height ? Speaking of moving through the digestive tract , do you have any idea how many days that takes or does it vary ? With me, I think it takes 3 and a half days, it’s hard to get the balance right no matter how much Metamucil I have!

Rosy, thanks for the info on protein shakes and so on. I’ve never actually had one and wonder what they taste like. Do you add veges throughout the day as well? Or is the protein shake a complete supplement?

7:30am Thurs Adelaide

Minka, I perfectly understand. Holding a bag of cookies while while hungry and waiting for your lunch to be cooked is enough to tempt anyone. I probably would have eaten all 6 while waiting.

Kanga, my go to recipes for FD involve mostly veg and things that I can either prepare ahead of time or are quick. Most soups that are heavy on veg will fit easily within a FD, especially if you don’t use add a much fat. I make minestrone (with the legumes but not the past and easy on the oil).
    If I’m cooking I do a veggie stir fry – broccoli, red capsicum, button mushrooms. I also often add a packet of drained and rinsed konjac noodles. I either add satay sauce or some chicken breast + soy. My other quick meal is an omelette made with either 2 eggs or one whole egg and 1/2 cup of egg white. I fill it with whatever veggies I have to hand – spinach (fresh or frozen), tomatoes, broccoli, mushrooms, zucchini, asparagus. I also add a tablespoon of parmesan.
    A summer recipe that requires either a BBQ or a griddle plate on the stove is to grill slices of zucchini, capsicum, field mushrooms and asparagus. You can add a small piece of chicken, beef, fish if you like. This can be eaten hot and leftovers make a good cold salad.

Rosy, sorry to hear you can’t have coffee after noon – I find it bad enough having to stop drinking tea by 5pm. I credit the cups of tea with getting me easily through most FDs.

It was a very early start for me as I woke at 5:30 with back pain that wouldn’t quit. For some reason I found myself wanting porridge, so I made some. Quite unusual for me to be hungry this early. But the porridge hit the spot and will hopefully get me through until lunch time.

I think we had quite a few friends doing FDs today. Liberty and Kanga, is today your first FD? If so, the very best of luck. Remember that it’s ok to feel hungry for a little while – a lot of us had trouble adjusting to this idea in the beginning.

Good morning, misty and a bit cool today in Sydney.

Gday, how is your back feeling? And the cuts and bruises? Hope you are healing quickly. Interesting info about grains and I shake my head because for years we have been urged to avoid white carbs and stick to grainy ones. Who knows!

FD for me today and I have a busy day at work so that’s great. The scales went up 200g after yesterday’s NFD but that’s normal for me.

I went to bed early last night and OH fell asleep on the couch watching telly and our darling fur-child firstly took one thong off his foot (perhaps it fell off, not sure) and chewed it to pieces. That wasn’t enough so he gently took the Foxtel remote off his lap and chewed it to pieces. It’s quite impressive I suppose when you try to put a positive spin on it. He must have a lot of patience to do this much damage. GAH!
    https://imgur.com/a/M0TWH9g

LJ you said that you learned a long time ago that it has to be an absolute rule for you to adhere to it. I’ve learnt that about myself doing this WOL; as soon as I even once cheated on a FD they started to go downhill and I was failing nearly all of them. So now the NOT NEGOTIABLE really is NOT NEGOTIABLE and I will hopefully see great success from now.
    Your tomatoes are amazing. We lost about half our crop to caterpillas unfortunately but there is a nice bowlful ready to use tomorrow. I’m doing the chicken meatball with roasted tomato meal I talked about a few days ago.
    I hope your back pain goes away quickly 🙁

Rosy, I don’t sleep well at the best of times and stopped having coffee after lunch a while back. However sometimes on FD’s I will have one if I am struggling with hunger as coffee really helps me. I weigh up the benefit of not failing a FD with the possibility of a bad sleep and the former wins hands down. Your mouse story scared the life out of me! Ugh

Cinque, hope you had a lovely time with your sisters

Minka, those cookies sound delicious! Well done on staying at the lower end of your ‘wiggle room range’ at this time of year

Kanga, my FD’s are lunch and dinner. For lunch I have a simple salad with a very small piece of protein and a few teaspoons of home-made dressing. I have a piece of fruit in the afternoon and then dinner is either vege stir fry with another small piece of protein or sometime I make a big pot of lean mince with lots of veges (mushroom, carrot, zucchini, capsicum etc), spices and chilli and have a small portion in lettuce leaves. I freeze the rest in small containers. My FD’s are around 600-650 calories as I have a lot to lose and have a high TDEE. As that comes down so will the calories on FD’s. When I tried to stick to 500 or below I was constantly failing and the wise owls here suggested my body needed a few more calories and, as always, they were right 🙂

Good morning everyone

It’s a windy, drizzly morning here and I’m just having my first cup of tea.

Kanga, I psyched myself up for a weekend then did my very first FD on the Monday. I drank lots of water and a few cups of tea and also some plain mineral water all day. I was really looking forward to a nice healthy dinner and then I came home to OH making pizza! I almost gave up but instead I decided to work out the calories and have as much pizza as 500 calories would allow. It worked out to be two slices and I ate them slowly and was quite satisfied, both with how full my tummy felt and feeling satisfied with myself for completing my first FD.

On FDs I do a lot of what LJ describes above. I eat mainly veggies and a small piece of protein for dinner. I try to have cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, mushrooms rather than potato, sweet potato, pumpkin or corn. I will sometimes have a small piece of the starchy veggies but the most things on my plate are the other veggies or a big salad. I find they fill me up the most for the least calories.

Remember that it’s ok to feel hungry. It will come and go and it won’t kill you, trust me. It doesn’t even put your body into ‘starvation’ mode like we have been lead to believe. Doing 5:2 has made me understand what being hungry actually is rather than just feeling like eating or ‘craving’ something. LJ has posted in here before about what true hunger is and I found that really informative. Maybe you could post it again sometime LJ?

Regarding DD (dear daughter) cooking sweet things. I would explain to her what you are doing and why and tell her that you won’t be eating those foods on a FD. You can tell her that you may try some tomorrow when you are on a NFD (non fast day). I’m sure she will support you in this.

Ok enough of my advice. Everyone will have lots more to add and if you want support and help, this is the best place to get it! X

I made a delicious pearl cous cous salad yesterday with roast pumpkin, red onion, cherry tomatoes, not hot jalapeños and fried haloumi cheese. I used my pesto to dress it and also some brown vinegar. It was amazing and very filling (and probably a lot of calories!)

LJ, I saw your pic of the cherry tomatoes. Yum! If you have too many you could roast them at high heat with a spray of olive oil and then when they blister and start to collapse, pass them through a fine sieve and you will have a beautiful, skin and seed less, roasted tomato sauce.

Ok I better go. Have a great day everyone x

A cool morning in Melbourne, and a beautiful day ahead of a load of hotter ones.

Anzac, I hope your boss isn’t so rude this morning. Cheers on your excellent fast day, Doesn’t it feel good!

LJoyce, it is true, I am Ms Natural Fabrics, and quite happy to iron (although two of my sisters favour the natural fibre crumpled look). But don’t op shops cater beautifully to our different needs? Yesterday, op shopping with my sisters: a black velvet Chinese padded winter jacket, and a pair of amazing fine leather lined tapestry shoes (which I might wear today).
    So exciting that you have your myrtle! I bet it will be so happy it will grow extra fast.
    Also I made cumin crusted roasted veggies for dinner, yum. Although, when I checked the recipe, I realised it had less cumin seed than I usually put! But it was still inspirational.
    Lovely Hairy Bikers show on baking started on Sunday, SBS food. (In case you didn’t know.)

Quacka, You did it! And two different kinds of pesto. Lovely!

Belated birthday wishes to DD, Thin. I bet you had a brilliant day, Happy anniversary to you too, for the day she made you a mum.

Thin, sister talk yesterday included the need for uncluttering, and as this sister has lots of lovely stuff we were talking about selling it on gumtree. Could you give your best tips? (If you have time?)

Gday, you are in the wars! What a dreadful sequence of events. Your poor back. I do hope it has managed to start healing… AGAIN.
    Glad to say hardly any of that wheat belly stuff rings true for me (since I love grains!). Just the bit about fattening up cattle! Now we don’t live outside and work so hard, we mostly don’t need those delicious grains as staples. I am finding my focus on vegetables means they are relegated, with meat and dairy, to a smaller proportion of my intake, which works well for me.

Liberty, haha! Just deciding to do 5:2 brings results. Impressive. And another declutterer, doesn’t it feel lovely.

Kanga, I agree with you about the book, but I still found it good to reread it a couple of months in (and thought the same thing again, but there you go). Warning, you probably will get hungry on fast days. But it is only one day, and you can do anything for just one day.

I did it the easy way, living on my own and arranging it as I liked, so extra kudos to you doing it with family. I hope your teenager is supportive.
    I started with a tiny bowl of porridge in the morning and a big bowl of soup in the evening. The hardest thing was wanting milk in my cuppas so I skipped the porridge and have a cup of milk in cuppas through the day and then soup in the evening. I love how everyone gradually works out what suits them and their lifestyle and their biology. 5:2 is quite flexible around its basics.

Rosy Posy, so glad you haven’t lost as much height as you feared!

Minka, hooray for Mr M, give him a big thankyou from me. I do understand that going back into the house three times to check something or find something you’ve forgotten. That is me too!
    Especially my water bottle which I fill up, and then leave on the bench!

So glad you enjoyed those cookies! And you have had a while between feasts, so that is fine too. I hope you get a nice run of TDEE for another few days now.

Well, it is the last day of enjoying time with my sister (she is down from St Arnaud). We are going to Babkas for breakfast so I aim to enjoy a gorgeous croissant (and then eat veggies for the rest of the day).

Day before fast day for me,Cheers all!

Crossed posts! I’ll read them later! xxx

Thursday 8.30am. Home again today. Feeling better as back pain has eased but still have shooting pain down left leg so should be back at work tomorrow.

I only have 2 black coffees in the morning, one when I first wake and the second before I leave for work. For the rest of the day I drink filtered water and iced teas with fresh lemon, ginger and herbs. I never ever will drink coffee after midday. I do love a chai latte but am conscious of the amount of sugar they contain so only have one as an occasional treat when we visit the coffee shop.

For those new to the forum here’s a run down of my daily routine.

Coffee as above. I only eat breakfast one day a week, either Sat or Sun as OH and I enjoy a cooked brekky – now minus the rye bread toast 😢. I’m like Ljoyce, if I eat brekky that sets me off being hungry for the rest of the day and all I want to do is constantly eat. Every Sunday afternoon I cook a large batch of hard boiled eggs (we have our own ducks and chooks so plenty of eggs) so OH can eat 2 – 3 eggs in the morning as he takes medication and I insist he takes it with food. Also OH doesn’t eat lunch during the week so another reason he has eggs each morning.

At work I have no set lunch break time and am fortunate work has a fully equipped kitchen so preparing lunch is a breeze. I usually have a salad, leftovers from the night before, soup from the freezer or I cook something healthy. I usually have lunch around 1 –
    2 pm but that depends on my workload for the day.

I keep my eating window between 12 noon and 5 – 7 pm, preferably closer to 5pm and never have anything other than a cup of tea after that. So with the exception of the one day a week with a cooked brekky, I have a daily fast of between 18 – 20 hours.

Tea (evening meal) is always healthy and homemade. I love cooking in big batches and freezing which makes week night meals so easy, just steam some veg or make a quick salad and heat up whatever I’ve pulled out of the freezer.

I’ve substituted the usual condiments for the healthy versions and love experimenting with these. I also make my own mayo’s, sauces, sauerkraut, kefir and kumbucha. And herbs….I so love using fresh herbs when I cook.

I have a thirst for knowledge when it comes to cooking and health so Im always reading new things. I am a huge fan of the Paleo lifestyle and follow this, with the exception of dairy. Paleo excludes dairy but I am believe full fat organic dairy is good for us so I consume milk kefir, cream, butter made from organic pure cream only, good quality white cheese such as feta, holumi, bocinelli and goats cheese…oh how I love goats cheese.

I’m also a big believer in gut health and consume kefir, sauerkraut and kumbucha daily and keep carb intake to as minimal as possible. Cutting out wheat products is the next step for me although I feel I might struggle with some aspects of this as one if my favourite things to eat is spelt pasta. Spiralised zucchini spaghetti just doesn’t do it for me I’m afraid…lol.

I like to do an extended fast every 6 – 8 weeks. Usually 36 to 48 hours with nothing but 2 x black coffees in the morning, water and iced teas.

I also take electrolytes each day in the powdered form mixed with water. And every second day drink a teaspoon of bentonite clay with water.

My home is chemical and cleaning product free, I use vinegar and bicarb to clean and I don’t use perfumes, deodorants, commercial soaps or shampoos. I use pure goats milk soap, castle soap and organic chemical free shampoo and conditioner. The only products I use on my skin are witch hazel as a cleanser and Shea butter as a moisturiser plus twice a week I use a bentonite clay face mask. I also use activated charcoal instead of store bought toothpaste.

I also just recently switched to only eating grass fed meat as our local supermarket now stocks this.

For fitness, I practice yoga each day and now that I have the gym set up after being in storage for most of 2018 I am back into the daily routine of High Intensity workouts and strength training. Plus a daily walk, either in the morning after yoga at sunrise or I take a 30 minute power walk in my lunchbreak.

Well folks that me !!

That should read castile soap not castle…..auto correct drives me nuts. Have a great day everyone. Fast Day for me today

Quacka, it took a bit of hunting, but I found my notes about genuine hunger. I think I posted it a year or so ago.
    This is taken from a book about mindful eating and self acceptance that my dietitian recommended:
    Kausman, Rick “If Not Dieting, Then What?”

“Recognising Genuine Hunger
    • an empty or even a painful gnawing feeling in the stomach
    • a rumbling feeling in the stomach
    • a cramping feeling in the stomach
    • a hollow feeling in the stomach
    • a feeling of nausea
    • no feelings in the stomach at all, but a desire to eat
    • a feeling of weakness or lethargy
    • feelings of light-headedness or irritability
    • difficulty in concentrating
    • feeling a bit shaky
    • decrease in energy levels
    • headache
    • many other specific individual signals.

Hunger Exercise
    Take a couple of deep breaths. Focus your attention on your mouth area— your teeth, tongue, lips and throat. Are there any physical sensations there that tell you that you might be hungry? Is your mouth dry or moist? Are you feeling thirsty?
    Now focus on the upper area of your stomach— the area just below your rib cage. What sensations are you feeling? Are there any noises?
    Now focus on the lower area of your stomach— are there any sensations there? Do you notice any differences between the upper part of your stomach and the lower part? Does one feel more empty and the other more full? Repeat the exercise.
    Have any other physical sensations become apparent in your mouth or upper/ lower stomach?
    Now pay attention to your whole body.
    Do you feel high in energy or low in energy?
    Are you feeling tired? How is your concentration? Are you feeling comfortable or irritable?
    Have you got images of food in your mind – are you thinking about what would be nice to eat?
    Try to notice anything about your body generally, that might be telling you that you are physically hungry.
    If you were to rate yourself so that 0 was absolutely empty, 2 was getting empty, 5 was full, 8 was overfull and 10 was stuffed full, what would you score out of 10?

Common reasons for non-hungry eating
    • We might be in the early stages of recognising the difference between hungry and non-hungry eating.
    • We might not be giving ourselves enough time to listen to what our body signals might be telling us.
    • We might be confusing hunger and thirst.
    • We let ourselves get too hungry.
    • We aren’t sure when to stop eating.
    • We’re filling up, but not feeling satisfied.
    • ‘Just in case I get hungry later’.
    • The clock says it’s breakfast/ lunch/ dinner time: ‘meal-time’ eating.
    • Almost any emotion or feeling can trigger non-hungry eating.
    • We aren’t meeting certain needs.
    • The food tastes great.
    • We’re feeling bored or tired.
    • We’re worried we might offend someone if we don’t eat.
    • Our parents always told us to finish everything on our plate.
    • We’re bombarded with advertising and marketing.
    • We eat as a reward.
    • We eat out of habit.
    • We eat because it’s there.
    • It brings back nice memories.
    • We eat quickly.
    • We eat to solve a problem, fill in a gap or put off doing something.
    • Any combination of the above and others.”

About 18 months ago I took a week off of 5:2 and focused on this exercise every day for a week, as I had no real idea of what genuine hunger felt like for me. I had a long history of eating before I got to that point. I decided that I would only eat if I could identify it as genuine hunger. What I found was that I had no genuine appetite in the morning during that week – it usually kicked in sometime between 11am-1pm. When I ate lunch I sometimes wanted to continue snacking all afternoon – this was rarely genuine hunger and mostly just a desire to keep eating. Genuine hunger didn’t kick in again until dinner time. It felt really good to actually get in touch with my body’s messages about hunger as I’d felt quite disconnected before.

This also comes from the same book and I found it very useful to help me through the times I wanted to eat but wasn’t actually hungry.

“Tips for Eating With Awareness
    I can have it if I want it, but do I really want it?
    I can have it if I want it, but will I really enjoy it?
    Is it a physical hunger?
    What sort of food do I really feel like?
    Plan ahead to have food on hand.
    Some non-hungry eating is normal.
    Try to separate eating from other activities that might distract you, such as watching television or reading.
    Hunger management: retrain your eating behaviour. (Keep hunger in 2-5 range)*
    Try to make eating a pleasurable experience.
    Accept that you have only a finite emotional space.
    Try to be patient.

* the rating scale referred to is:
    Hunger/ fullness scale
    10— Stuffed full
    8— Overfull
    5— Full
    2— Getting empty
    0— Absolutely empty”

This scale is used in the following exercise. Which requires you to record a number of things every time you eat something – I did this for several days and I made sure I covered quiet days at home, busy days, social days etc.
    – Time of day
    – With whom/where
    – Thoughts & feelings before eating
    – Hunger rating before eating (0-10)
    – Food eaten
    – Hunger after eating (0-10)
    – Am I satisfied (would another food have satisfied me)
    – Eating speed (Slow, Mod, Fast)
    It’s essentially a food diary that helps you understand when and why you eat and whether it’s related to genuine hunger or driven by other things.

I noticed things I hadn’t been very aware of before. For example:
    – The worse the food choice was, the faster I ate it. I suspect I was trying to make it disappear quickly as I felt guilty about it. Unfortunately this means it doesn’t really satisfy any need as I didn’t take the time to savour it.
    – If I eat when I’m not hungry it often triggers a desire to keep eating that I find hard to control. Eating breakfast when I don’t feel hungry often does this to me.
    – If I let my hunger develop too much it can be difficult to control how much I eat. So it’s better to eat when I feel a bit hungry rather than ravenous.

For those of you having trouble controlling snacking, or telling the difference between hunger and the desire to eat, or have a fear of feeling hungry the above may be useful.

Thin, Happy Birthday to your DD! Hope she’s having a wonderful day.

https://goo.gl/images/UWfhYi

Wow, I am so impressed by your clean and healthy living Gday. Good on you! Hope your FD is going well, mine is 🙂

LJ, thanks SO much for the hunger journal, I have copied it and will refer to it often.

Hope you enjoyed that croissant Cinque…yum

I must say I am looking forward to dinner…and it’s only 3.20pm. This is my hardest time to get through until 4.00pm when I finish work. Lots of water helps.

Hello everyone, I’m having trouble keeping up with the volume of posts so I’ll have an attempt at what I can remember reading.

Cinque, you asked for gumtree tips. Lindsay also once asked about this so, perhaps everyone else can skip the rest of this post and I will resume in a separate one.

Yes, I am the Gumtree Queen! I always use GT over ebay unless it’s an item that would get better appreciation overseas. I mention this because you say your DS has ‘nice things’ and a lot of what I had to sell initially were items belonging to my OH’s parents (and scarily, grandparents). This included a lot of art deco glassware and some very valuable religious books for which there is no real market in Australia. For example, I achieved USD10k for a particular book that had been languishing successively in various of our sheds around the world for decades.

Having decided on gumtree let’s say, which is what you asked about, I first do a search for the item on gumtree to get an idea of the availability, selling price, comparable condition, etc. If there are none, I then do a general search for the item on google to determine the current selling price (new in a store, on etsy, or perhaps ebay). I then determine my price, thoroughly clean the item and take many photos which I file on my laptop under specific categories. I do this for several items at a time, recording notes about how the item has been described elsewhere – especially if it’s something I had to do a lot of research for because I didn’t know what it was.

Once I have all the groundwork done, I write descriptions for all those items on a Word doc. Anything where size is relevant needs the measurements supplied so put that on the ad to save enquiries later. And then, it’s a simple matter of retrieving all the info and submitting all the ads in one sitting.

Be aware, that on GT, people tend to want something for nothing and will often make (sometimes frivolous) offers which is fine with me – but I stick to my guns if I know an item’s value and just politely reject their offer or make a counter-offer. Lots of people (Queenslanders?!) ask if I’m prepared to mail the item. Usually I am but not for low value items because, more often than not, the postage costs more than the item and after you’ve wasted your time packing it up and making a trip to the PO to enquire, the buyer complains that it costs too much to mail. If it is suitable for mailing in a PO satcheI, I just weigh it at home and give the price. I never accept Paypal because you will pay a fee to accept their money so I always give them my bank details to make the transfer. Contrary to what people often think, it is TOTALLY safe to do this.

In responding to people, I always thank them for them interest and keep it polite, friendly and sometimes humorous – no matter how illiterate, obscure and annoying the enquiry may be! On GT, I do not ever list my phone number or my mobile number. I like all my messages via email so I am never caught off guard. If they ask for my mobile, I don’t give it unless I’ve already had a few email exchanges or perhaps if the person’s coming from far away. Doing so is their passport to endless back and forth texting, changing the pick-up time and generally messing you about. Once I’ve arranged the time, I expect them to stick to it and I ask them to email me if they need to change it because I will be waiting in for them. They seem to stick to the plan a lot better if they don’t have the option to msg.

Keep your prices fair but reasonable. If, after a few weeks, I haven’t sold an item, I will review the price. Sometimes I stick with it for whatever reason, and it might take months or years to sell but that doesn’t bother me. It depends how motivated you are to get rid of it. As I have thousands things to get rid of, it matters not which items sell first. Today I sold an item that took me 18 months to sell but I knew I’d get the $200 asking price despite receiving offers as low as $50.

On arrival, I always have the item ready near the door so they only need come on to our patio, not into the house. Sometimes, I greet them at the gate. I than them for coming when they said they would (positive reinforcement!) and don’t ever say ‘that’s OK’ if they were very late. I usually have a chat. Sometimes, I make a new friend.

Good luck. Enjoy!

Viewing 50 posts - 18,951 through 19,000 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.