Hello Southern Hemispherites!!

This topic contains 27,925 replies, has 832 voices, and was last updated by  Neilithicman 3 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,501 through 17,550 (of 28,029 total)

• Good morning,
    Oh Rainbow, how awful to have a slower more difficult recovery than you expected. Hooray for Mr Rainbow being such a good helpmate. I hope you improve quickly now. https://www.birthdaywishes.expert/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Gett-well-soon-with-floral-pattern-600×600.jpg
    And I hope you can find some nice pottering around to do.

Arelkade, an accountable and kind month sounds just the thing. Happy 5:2 Anniversary! https://www.birthdaywishes.expert/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Happy-Anniversary-wish-with-cute-red-flowers.jpg
    I am so, so pleased that Mr Arelkade is doing so well. Hooray!
    Each day is so precious, for all of us.

I’m still a little bit crook, but ready for coffee today! I’ve got the final in Hugh’s Fat Fight to watch, and I have booked in for this: https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/sdf-talks-lets-talk-about-sugar-tickets-50474715232 which will be interesting re my YamDaisy project too.

Sending best wishes to everyone

Good morning all. It’s a beautiful crisp day here in the north, after some wonderful weekend rain. My garden is smiling happily. Only 24 today – very mild for this time of year.
    Cinque I hope you are feeling better. Thank you for the candle…..such a nice thought.
    Glad too that you are starting to feel better after your surgery Rainbow. Slow and steady sounds like a good plan for recovery. Is your doctor happy with the outcome?
    Happy anniversary Arel. Nine kilos is a lot! It’s the difference between feeling uncomfortable and great, between looking not as good as possible, to looking wonderful. And the health benefits that come with a loss like this are well documented. Good for you. And such good news about your OH. Great not to have that worry sitting like a dead weight on your shoulders.
    LJ how did your 800 day go yesterday? Did it make a difference? Hope you are feeling better.
    Minka interesting post. I’d never heard of Nancy Makin – I too hope she’s living a quiet happy slim life. The part about people peering into her shopping trolley reminded me of our time living in China in a relatively small city (only 4 million people!) where there were only a handful of Westerners. Whenever we shopped at the big hypermarket, people would peer into our basket, and often give us the thumbs up. We could never work out what they expected to see there – whether they thought there was a special hidden section for us to buy food. Often as we passed we’d hear ‘lao wai’ (old foreign) or ‘waiguoren’ (foreign land people) said not in any disrespectful way, but just because it wasn’t common to see Europeans. Happy times.
    I am off today to have a special birthday lunch with a very dear friend whom I met when we were about 18. She’s an amazing woman who has been dealt some pretty tough blows, including losing her first husband a year after they married. Somehow though she always comes up smiling and positive…..She’s on 5:2 now, on the recommendation of her doctor. I’ll be pleased to see her progress.
    Happy Tuesday all.

Thank you Quacka. We’re doing ok….on edge until next Thursday but my OH is amazing really…just getting on with things.
    Those voices in our heads can be quite mean – I’m glad you put yours in its place. I think too we focus so much on weight – but it’s the health benefits that mean so much more.

Good morning…catching up after a busy long weekend. I hope everyone who is not well, or have partners/family who are not well all improve soon

FD today and I’m actually looking forward to it so I can reset as the last FD seems like ages ago.

Re our puppy; he is a yellow Labrador and is 11 months old. He is just a bit bigger than yours Calif – around 35 kilos! We have put a lot of time and effort into his training but he is still quite naughty and strong-willed. But we received a lovely compliment when out on our walk yesterday. A young girl came up to us with a 10 month old Labrador who was clearly completely out of control and asked us how we trained our dog to walk so nicely. We both looked over our shoulders to see who she was talking to. It surely couldn’t be us? But it was! He does walk nicely some of the time and this is improving all the time. We showed her how to train with a treat in the other hand and she thanked us profusely as her dog practically dragged her back into the park.

Chuffed to say the least!

Have a great day everyone, happy FD or NFD

Morning Anzac, Morning Lindsay, What a lot of lovely people are on this thread.

Arelkade, I popped back because when I read your post I wanted to say: 9 kilos is heaps! It is three of those three litre milk bottles: https://i.imgur.com/fJ8w1Ex.jpg That is so much not to be carrying around every minute, walking with, getting up and down with, having around your precious internal organs. (Goodness, on bad days I have trouble pulling just one of them out of the fridge!)

Lindsay, a beautiful morning! It is cloudy here, but mild and the garden is very happy. What a lovely lunch you will have, all power to your friend.
    It is wonderful to hear about life in China, what an amazing time it must have been. I was listening to Phillip Adams talk to Jack Thompson last night, such a great conversation and Jack Thompson was talking about his love for China.

Anzac, isn’t it nice to look forward to a Fast Day, enjoy! Your Labrador sounds a delight.

Quacka your post popped up after I had posted and hid itself at the bottom of the page before! But I found it! And you said what I wanted to say about the 9 kg. Well, can’t be said too often.
    And all power to you slapping that destructive little voice down.
    Thanks for your good wishes. 🙂

Back to my lovely coffee….

Gosh, it’s feast or famine with the posts too!

Arel, that’s a great loss, you had a rubbish year so well done. 9kgs is about two dress sizes I think so you must be feeling and looking great. Happy Anniversary! Wonderful news about Mr KD too. (Or is he the RL part?).

Rainbow, wishing you a good recovery. Could I borrow that house-trained and chore-doing husband of yours for a while please? Mine’s a marvellous fixer of all things but not so useful with mindless chores, although he does make the bed every morning because I don’t do it properly. Perhaps I should employ that technique with some of the other chores.

Anzac, labs are notoriously naughty puppies! We sometimes entertained the idea of having a Guide Dog puppy but were warned off because of their destructiveness. Well done for persisting with sound training. Some neighbours (not ones I’ve mentioned here before) brought over their 12 week Westie at the weekend. They’re working hard to train the little guy and said they put him in time out for biting!

Lindsay, whenever you mention your garden, all I can visualise is a 3 metre python. You sound very positive; wishing Mr L the very best outcome. It’s incredible what can be achieved with surgery for eyes nowadays. It’s an anxious wait nevertheless. I admit to passing time in the supermarket judging the trolley contents of the person ahead of me in the queue!

Cinque, I watched Part 2 of Hugh’s Fat Fight last night. The soft drink, smoothie, juice phenomenon is staggering. And all those ready meals in packages lining the supermarket freezers. I’ve never ventured down those aisles, even when I was fat. I can’t imagine a meal without fresh vegetables, I love them so much. Supermarkets and food manufacturers ought to be more responsible but, since they exist purely to make a profit with no concern for people’s health, some level of personal responsibility is required. I see it as my job to fight back and resist. And I smugly enjoy doing that.

Minka, thanks for your post. Will you be signing up for the October challenge? Reading about Nancy, I couldn’t help thinking how much focus and fame she received for losing 500lbs. And how much pressure that must have placed on her. And it course it was some feat on her part. But I wonder to what extent she ever reflected on how she was finally much closer to the weight she should have always been, rather than continuing to focus her thinking on how much weight she had lost. Her silence now is concerning.

I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone on the previous page but hesitant to look back. Hi LJ. Best wishes all.

That was good advice thinatlast. As a puppy he destroyed our outdoor furniture, plants – everything he could get his little crazy sharp teeth into. Our hands and arms looked like they had been through a shredder. Then we had a couple of months of calm when he was a well behaved little boy. Then adolescence hit and BOOM. Back to counter surfing and chewing anything his thieving little paws can get. OH accidentally left his almost brand-new, expensive sheepskin slippers within reach on Saturday night. RIP. Luckily for the dog we are firm believers in positively reinforcing good behavior and not punishing bad behaviour….but the stress levels were high on Sunday morning and many darkly muttered f-words directed at the culprit by hubby. As for the dog, he just sat there grinning with a small piece of sheepskin stuck to the side of his face. Oh dear.

Hilarious Anzac, you really made me laugh. I know it’s no laughing matter when you’re on the receiving end but that was a very entertaining account. What’s his name?

His name is Maxx….allegedly because he was so cute we decided to put two kisses at the end of his name. However the cold (and funny) reality is we always said we would call him Max but then OH bought a packet of underwear from Target just before we bought the puppy home and around the waistband was MAXX MAXX MAXX (I guess that is the brand name?) and we took that as a good omen. So in fact it was underwear that determined the spelling of his name 🙂

Good morning all,

I’m a bit behind with posts and need to catch up. Apologies in advance if I miss something from the previous page.

The sick list (and post op list) seems rather long at the moment, so I’ll wish a speedy recovery to Rainbow, Cinque, Arel’s OH and Lindsay’s OH. If I’ve forgotten anyone else who’s feeling poorly, I extend my get well wishes to you too.

Anzac, I realise it was a frustrating experience but I still haven’t stopped giggling about your dog’s antics, I’m just glad I don’t have to live them. I’m expecting you to tell us that you’ve seen Maxx trotting past, not with slippers in his mouth this time, but your husband’s undies. I think that’s fair in the circumstances, they do have his name on them after all! 😀

Thin, I feel the same about ready meals. My idea of a frozen ready meal is something I’ve cooked myself and frozen into portions. I still associate the packaged ready meals with the early days of microwaves. I’m a bit surprised there is still a big market for them.

Minka, I suspect Dr Varaday’s book was an interesting read, but I’m firmly in the 5:2 camp. I tried ADF very briefly and I binged every NFD. It definitely didn’t work for me. More than 2 FDs a week is playing with fire for someone with a binge eating disorder.

I decided not to call my current low cal days FDs, not even MFDs. They are controlled days and I’m trying to do a minimum of 3 per week. I’m worried that if I call them FDs I’ll overeat on the other days. Yesterday was fine and my calorie intake would have been roughly 800cals and included lunch, dinner and 1/2 banana as a snack. It was much easier than a FD and I had minimal nausea. My preferred foods are currently quite limited though and it concerns me that this will have an impact on my gut bugs. I can’t face most of the soups and meals that I have made and frozen. I’m eating mostly eggs, ricotta, bread, yoghurt, nuts and bananas. Every time I contemplate something else I know I just can’t face it yet. It does seem a bit weird that such a short general anaesthetic can have such an impact – I’m assuming that’s what is responsible.
    I just have to hope that this will be enough to keep my weight stable.

Hope you all have a good day.

Exactly LJ – something you’ve prepared yourself and placed in a portion size in the freezer! It does seem strange that your short anaesthetic procedure has resulted in such ongoing discomfort – hopefully you were forewarned at least.

Maxx seems to suit your dog perfectly, Anzac. I agree LJ – and I think he should be given his own pair of MAXX MAXX MAXX undies to rip apart. Please do post a photo of him on imgur if you feel inclined.

Bwah ha ha – I can just picture it now. I haven’t used Imgur before but I’ll check it out and try to post a photo, hopefully with a pair of MAXX undies hanging off his head or something.

I hope your horrible nausea goes away soon LJoyce.

I felt a bit sick and light-headed mid-morning so nibbled on two Vita Weats and that did the trick. Otherwise I made it to lunch time again without anything else so happy about that. Really enjoyed a chicken salad with a tiny bit of dressing for lunch and will have a small piece of lean steak with some veges for dinner.

Anzac, I couldn’t help laughing at your story of OH’s sheepskin slippers, even though it was anything but funny for your OH. Puppies certainly love to chew!

LJ, for some types of biopsy’s they pump air into the abdomen or uterus, I guess so they can see better. If they did that, it could explain some of the discomfort and nausea that still remains. I hope it passes quickly.

Lindsay, my best wishes for a successful outcome on OH’s surgery. Any time they have to operate on the eyes it’s worrisome. But there are so many advances and techniques these days. I’m sure you will both be relieved when it is over. You don’t have to post a long thing, but please let us know how it goes on Thursday. We’ll be sending positive thoughts his way.

Cinque, I hope you’re feeling better as the day goes on. Hope you can get lots of rest. It seems like you’ve been pretty busy these past few weeks.

Rainbow, I hope you’re feeling better by the time you read this. How long before you know if the surgery was a success? How long is it that you can’t bend over or lift things? Do you have a lot of different eye drops to use now?

Arel, 9 kilos is a lot of weight to lose. I’m sure it makes a big difference in the way you look. It probably takes off years. It sounds better in pounds, I think. That’s 20 pounds!

Minka, re Dr. Veraday’s book, I can’t imagine sticking with ADF for very long. Even when I have only 1 day between FD’s it feels cumbersome. It wouldn’t be sustainable for me.

Thin, are you still eating your cauliflower soup on FD? I thought of you when I was eating a big bunch of cauliflower and broccoli today. Those types of vegetables are always filling on a FD. I had an eye doctors appointment this morning for follow up on the cataract surgery. Everything is looking good and my vision in that eye went from not even being able to recognize an eye chart without glasses to 20/20 vision without glasses in that eye. I am in awe of the surgery that can do that.

CalifD, that’s a great result. You must be so pleased. Yes, I’m still having the cauliflower soup on FDs – boring, aren’t I? I find it so filling, easy and creamy (with 1tbs of plain yoghurt). As it is, I find the two NFDs together whizz by before really I’ve had time to plan the meals for the Wednesday FD so I often have the same thing both days. ADF just seems like too much to and fro’ing. I’ve had occasion to practice it when I had to move a FD around but I found myself stuffing that bit extra in the night before, knowing that tomorrow again would be a FD.

Although Wednesday appears quite quickly after Sunday’s FD, I love Wednesdays because I know I have three NFDs in a row coming up. It would be ten times easier without the OFMs to plan for. How do you find it with DS now on board but DH requiring a different meal? Or does he make his own?

Even tonight, I’m having something different as the OFMs are having leek and potato soup, a thing of the past for me, and I’ll be having a lentil/coconut soup. DD is rotating through the equine hospital; yesterday’s shift was 11 hours so I just need food that can be ready whenever she finishes. She gives me a ringing code when she’s leaving and then I know I have 15 minutes to get it ready. BTW, does anyone know why horse owners give their animals such bizarre names?

Must get on, I’m supposed to be designing a ladder for a mezzanine loft bed that OH has promised to build (for 13 years).

Awesome report re your eyes CalifD.

I wouldn’t like ADF (alternate day fasting right?) – it would be too back and forth as you said thinatlast.

Good Afternoon all of you!
    Hello Mel G
    Wow! Nice Friend, you are doing a great job to reduce your weight loss.

Cali, what a wonderful outcome of your cataract surgery. I know Rainbow had a different type of eye surgery but here’s hoping that great result is contagious.

Cali, I think the reason for the continuing discomfort and bloating is the endometrial ablation procedure. They removed my uterine lining with an electrical current – this damages the entire internal surface, which then needs to heal. It must take at least a month for this to heal because I’m not allowed to do anything that might allow bacteria to get anywhere near my uterus for a minimum of a month (I’m not even allowed to take a bath, showers only). I have read some descriptions of the after effects that list nausea. I just need to be more patient than I have been.

Thin, let us know how the lentil coconut soup goes – that sounds like an interesting combination.
    It’s the horse racing announcers I feel sorry for with those ridiculous names. They often have 2 names – a paddock name that they are called by those who care for and ride them and a competition name (I’m sure there are a lot of rules around the naming conventions). I remember seeing an interview with Gillian Rolton, who won a 3 day event olympic gold medal on a horse called Peppermint Grove. She mentioned that this was his competition name, but to her he was always called “Fred”.

Anzac, I have a bit of a soft spot for vitaweat myself. I don’t buy them often because I find it hard not to eat too many at once. It’s also difficult to have them without butter & vegemite – which adds to the calorie load!

Which reminds me, I did the grocery shopping this morning and bought low salt vegemite (about a third less). It doesn’t taste any different to me so I will probably be sticking with it.

Good morning everyone

It’s a FD for me today. I haven’t had a Wednesday FD for a long time but I had an extra long long weekend so am only returning to work today. I find it easier to do when I’m working. Weight this morning was a bit up but not as much as it has been after a weekend other times. Looking forward to FD just to enjoy that light feeling 🙂

I’m having my almond milk cup of tea that I have missed over the weekend. I did have tea but with normal milk as OH doesn’t like the almond milk in tea. Fair enough. I make white (cheese) sauce with it and he doesn’t notice the difference, maybe because of the strong flavour of the cheese.

Anzac ur story of Maxx and the slippers made me laugh out loud! I can imagine how cute he looked 🙂

I will be checking back in over the day. Hope you all have a lovely day x

Good morning everyone

It’s a FD for me today. I haven’t had a Wednesday FD for a long time but I had an extra long long weekend so am only returning to work today. I find it easier to do when I’m working. Weight this morning was a bit up but not as much as it has been after a weekend other times. Looking forward to FD just to enjoy that light feeling 🙂

I’m having my almond milk cup of tea that I have missed over the weekend. I did have tea but with normal milk as OH doesn’t like the almond milk in tea. Fair enough. I make white (cheese) sauce with it and he doesn’t notice the difference, maybe because of the strong flavour of the cheese.

Anzac ur story of Maxx and the slippers made me laugh out loud! I can imagine how cute he looked 🙂

I will be checking back in over the day. Hope you all have a lovely day x

Good morning,

Happy Fasting Work Day Quacka,

I am going to Fast today as well (this forum is very useful, I was about to write that I will fast tomorrow, when I realised how tricky that will be. Today it is!)

I am feeling HEAPS better. Yay!
    Rainbow, fingers crossed that today you are feeling another step better, and you too, LJoyce.

Anzac, did you have a good Fast Day yesterday? And are you feeling light and lovely this morning? I hope so. Hello to Mad Maxx.

Thin, I watched the third episode of Hugh’s Food Fight. Very interesting. I just loved the story line of taking the woman surfing. (You’ll see!)

Then I watched Ask The Doctor (ABC) and it was about sugar too. I expect I will hear it all again with the thing I am going to tomorrow evening. But it was good.

LJoyce, no wonder your poor abdomen needs some time to settle. I am so glad that what you feel you can eat is what your body can manage, and you can just roll along with your controlled days and allow the healing to happen.

Cali, you couldn’t have a better post op appt. 20/20! It is worthy of awe.

Thin, I made a mung bean dal that has coconut milk in it, but I put in the whole tin of coconut milk instead of 150ml, which ruined it rather! I added things to make it work, but I’m so annoyed with myself.

I’ve heard that a racing horse has to have a name that no other racing horse has had. They are only going to get more ridiculous as time goes on!

Well, I am off to enjoy not feeling crook. One thing I did want to share is a particularly good Conversation where Richard Fidler interviews Leigh Sales. It is an hour, but Oh, it is such a good listen, if you are interested: http://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/conversations/leigh-sales-2018/10300680

As she says, an ordinary day is a wonderful day. I hope you have one today.

Good morning all

I do feel lovely and light today thanks Cinque. Glad you are feeling so much better. I had a good FD apart from the two vitaweats. Unfortunately they have them at work; they have one big barrel full of vitaweats and another full of sweet biscuits such as shortbread creams, scotch fingers etc (!). I don’t have a sweet tooth at all, but anything savoury and crunchy like crackers are hard to resist. Nothing much I can do except ignore them. I don’t buy them very often either LJoyce as they will be my go-to if I decide to snack on something.

My weight hasn’t moved as I had a pretty bad weekend but at least it hasn’t gone up. After FD yesterday and tomorrow I hope it will head south.

Happy fasting Cinque, Quacka and thinatlast (and anyone else)

I’ve had a go at Imgur, here is (hopefully) a pic of our fur-angel. It’s from back in May but is the best I have on the desktop. I’ll download some form my phone and show you some more recent ones later as he has grown quite a bit since then!

https://imgur.com/a/xR2ra9b

Great photo Anzac, isn’t Maxx cute! Surely he can do no wrong. Thanks for a great start to the day.

Glad you’re feeling better Cinque. The coconut lentil recipe appears on the back of the packet of lentils and a modified version on the pearl barley packet. Surprisingly delicious. It did require the whole can of coconut milk but it was quite a large batch.

Cinque, the trailer for, ‘Ask The Doctor’ briefly showed a photo of Dr M.’s book so I thought they might mention 5:2. I didn’t watch that one. I saw the lady in the surf in the trailer for Hugh’s 3rd edition.

Interesting about the horse names Cinque and LJ. DD says she had to present her horse at rounds and kept repeating its long and silly name under her breath hoping it would stick but her colleagues kept muttering other ridiculous names to throw her off just for a laugh! We understand how the expression, “Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth” originated but can’t yet explain, “Straight from the horse’s mouth”. Does anyone know?

Quacka, we got a double posting from you today so this must mean that you are particularly resolved to a great FD! I’m joining you and Cinque. Strength in numbers. Today a new series of bridge lessons commences and they’re always on Wednesdays so I have to pay extra attention to stay focussed. These will be the last and then I can concentrate on trying to improve my game (plenty of scope there).

Have a great day all.

Nothing to do with 5:2 but in case anyone is interested in a useless fact for the day: In horse racing circles tips on which horse is a likely winner circulate amongst punters. The most trusted authorities are considered to be those in closest touch with the recent form of the horse, that is, stable lads, trainers etc. The notional ‘from the horse’s mouth’ is supposed to indicate one step better than even that inner circle, that is, the horse itself.

Good morning all.

Good luck to Quacka and Cinque and anyone else fasting today.

Quacka, I often use almond milk to make bechamel and cheese sauce too. I’m always keen to get some of the calories out of those rich sauces.

Anzac, thank you for the photo of Maxx. He looks so well behaved, sitting up for his photo – shows how looks can be deceiving! I guess he can’t remain an adolescent forever, he will eventually become mature and responsible. You may even be able to teach him to fetch slippers rather than eat them! 😀 Perhaps train him using some old ones that you don’t mind losing!

Thin, I don’t know about those sayings, but my assumption about “Straight from the horse’s mouth” would be that it related to betting on races.

Cinque, I watched “Ask the Doctor” but not Hugh’s program. It always surprises me that people don’t know what is in their drinks, it’s on the nutrition panel that’s stuck to their bottle. I must be the only label reader around.
    I am very grateful that my mother taught me to enjoy water (rain water) as my “normal” drink when I was growing up. It meant I never had to learn to give up sugary drinks as I didn’t get addicted to them in the first place.
    I’ve noticed that my nephew and his wife treat cordial as a treat that the kids have once a day (and made really weak) and fruit juice is a treat drink they can have occasionally when they are out. The rest of the time it’s water. This will help enormously for their future health and the state of their teeth.

Cali, has your improved eyesight changed the things you want to spend time doing, now that you can see better? I’d probably have my nose buried in a book for weeks!

Lindsay, I hope that birthday lunch yesterday was lovely.

I did finally manage to expand my food choices and eat some cauliflower soup yesterday. It was a struggle, but you see I’d taken it out of the freezer 3 days earlier for a planned FD. After 3 days in the fridge it was either eat it or throw it away and my issues with wasting food won out over my current preference for bland food. It was the strong smell of the cauliflower soup I had trouble with, the taste was fine.

I’m doing another NFD today. As I have my infusion scheduled for Friday and a wedding to go to Sunday I’ve decided that Thursday and Saturday will work best as my other two controlled days. It still feels a bit weird not to be doing proper fasts – I don’t think I’ve ever skipped them before. I am reassuring myself that 3 x 800cal days means a 1800cal deficit for me (1400TDEE-800), which is the same as 2 x 500cal days gives me. So what I’m doing at the moment should be able to maintain my weight just as well as 2 FDs. The only difference really is that I actually often eat less than the 500cal on a FD.

I’ve drunk my way through 2 large cups of tea while writing this and I’m seriously considering going back for a third! (In addition to learning to like water I can also attribute my love of tea to my mother as well!)

Have a good day all.

I was admiring my orchids as I poured that third cup of tea.
    They must like the conditions on my window sill as they’ve all decided to flower at the same time. They clearly get more warmth here than in the kitchen window at my previous house.
    https://imgur.com/ndc1Liy

They are lovely LJoyce

LJ, laughing at the struggle between food waste and making yourself it. I’d be the exactly same.

CalifD has no time for reading books – she’s still cleaning her house after that eye surgery! he he.

I never allowed DD any sticky drinks while growing up. Our friends who did offer their children daily consumption of sugary drinks (of very strange colours I might add) repeatedly told me that DD would ‘rebel’ and go overboard at every opportunity if I banned them altogether. This proved not to be the case. She’s now 22 and still never drinks soft drinks. When we go out, we always order water in a restaurant. I agree with you LJ, it’s not like the sugar content doesn’t appear on the label – I think it’s more that people are just not well-informed about what’s an acceptable adult daily allowance. And apart from anything else, I understand that some of those drinks can be quite expensive.

I am at work and reading your lovely posts while having my first food of the day – two cherry tomatoes and an apple. It feels so so good to be back on my FD routine. I will answer more a bit later but wanted to say something about fruit juice and sugar. My Bali travelling companion and I have DDs about the same age, who have kids about the same age. I commented that mine only gave her little ones milk and water, to which my friend responded that her DD gave her kids fruit juice every day, but only organic. I bit my tongue and didn’t comment that there was as much sugar in organic juice as in non-organic. And, my friend and her OH routinely drank three or four juices at the breakfast buffet. So right Thin – people just aren’t informed. When I was raising my kids we thought it was healthy to give them juice. Now the pendulum has gone the other way , but unless you’re committed to Dr M and 5:2 and Hugh etc… there’s still a lot of misinformation about what constitutes healthy food/drink.
    My friend also drinks diet coke by the can….at least 2 or 3 a day. I do bite my tongue because I tend to get on my bandwagon and I can get pretty tedious …but it does shock me. (That said, I have the occasional soft drink – but it’s diet tonic in a G & T so I can rationalise it, fraud that I am).

Hi all. Skimming through posts I see that many are or have loved ones undergoing surgery or medical procedures. Hope everyone is recovering well 💜. As I write (with difficulty on my phone on a bumpy road) OH and I are driving to Adelaide for OH’s surgery tomorrow. OH is so stressed and is thinking the worst- as he always does.

Ljoyce I see your comment about the RAH and I am thankful that OH’s procedure is at the QEH. I’m comfortable driving in Adelaide but I get a bit nervous finding parks and following the confusing signs,
    Plus i have a phobia about driving in high rise car parks. Give me a country dirt road anytime.

Weight has been steady with no loss over the last week or so. As I will be staying in a motel room for a few days I found one with a microwave. I have bought some homemade soup, curry etc to heat up for my meals to eliminate eating takeaway or restaurant meals. The exception will be lunch today as we are meeting friends for a steak stonegrill in the city.

That’s enough for the moment, this post has taken so long to write from continually correcting mistakes from hitting the wrong keys. Take care all

Oh dear, I hope it all goes well GdayfromSA. We do tend to think the worst but that is just human nature. Fingers and toes are crossed for your OH

I used to drink a lot of diet soft drink but finally worked out it really wasn’t good for me. I too love diet tonic water Lindsay, especially if it has some gin in it! I will have a diet tonic with dinner sometimes but otherwise water or wine (weekends…ish). I drink a gallon of water every day, during the day, as the females in my family all tend to suffer from kidney infections and/or UTI’s and lots of water is a good way to keep them at bay.

Cinque, I just finished listening to that link you posted, Conversation with Richard Fidler interviewing Leigh Sales. You are right, it is well worth the hour to listen to it. I’m thinking about buying the Kindle version of her book, but I have a couple books I should finish first.

LJ, my vision after cataract surgery is 20/20 but, as most people my age, I can’t read with that eye without reading glasses. The good vision starts just beyond arms length. But I have glasses and contact lenses for my left eye that are set for reading distance so I can still see to read. Thin, after the surgery I definitely notice more dirt and dust on the floors,

LJ, glad you are able to eat bland foods at least. I hope the nausea goes away sooner than a month. Feeling nauseous is awful.

Gday, what day is OH’s procedure? Tell him best wishes for a good outcome. We seem to have a lot of members and spouses having surgeries or tests done. I’m sending prayers and positive thoughts your way

9pm Wednesday

Hi everyone. Having a late check in. I’ve joined Thin, Cinque and Quacka with a FD today – next one is Friday.

Rainbow, LJ & Cinque: I hope you are all feeling a whole lot better than you all have been recently, my thoughts are with you all

Anzac: Congrats on your recent 2kg loss – very happy for you

Lindsay: all the best for a wonderful outcome for your OH’s surgery – thinking of you. Thank you so much for your kind words

Quacka: thank you so much for your good wishes – for me to lose those 9kg is just wonderful. I agree with you, the support, encouragement and friendship on this thread is amazing

Cinque: Thank you for the gorgeous Anniversary card – loved it! Also, the 3 x 3litre bottles of milk. My little dog is 8kg, and if I pick her up, it’s an effort to carry her around, so I really appreciate the benefits that 5:2 is doing to my body and how valuable it has been to lose the weight!

Thin: thank you for your kind words, and your flower was just delightful (not a wasp in sight). OH is the KD part – you have an amazing memory! I enjoyed your comment to Cinque re: ready packaged meals and supermarkets. I feel the same about McDonalds, Kentucky Chicken, etc – no concerns for people’s health, just money in the till!

Anzac: enjoyed reading about your cute puppy and how he got his name. His photo is just gorgeous!

Calif: thank you also for your kind words – I’m so glad the kgs have been lost. So pleased for you and your recent eye surgery outcome – a great result. It’s amazing what surgery can achieve now!

LJoyce: Loved your orchids and they must be loving where you have put them!

GDSA: I hope your OH’s surgery goes really well – thinking of you

CateAus: Thank you for your kind words, very much appreciated

Hi to anyone else who is reading, or lurking. We are all in this together!
    Must go. Enjoy whatever you are getting up to and bye for now xx

Wednesday almost 9 am.

Anzac, Max is so cute! And that is the face of innocence. I think he was framed. 😁 😇

LJ, your orchids are beautiful! They are so perfect they almost don’t look real. Hope you’re feeling better today.

Lindsay, positive thoughts and prayers heading your OH’s way today. I hope my good luck with eye surgery rubs off on him.

Gday, positive thoughts and prayers headed your OH’s way today too. Is the procedure today, or just tests?

Hope everyone has a good positive day today whether fasting or eating mindfully. I’m watching the world while you sleep. 😌

Ha ha yes Cali, Maxx did look most offended when presented with the slipper evidence. Sadly, for him, the little piece of fluff on his face was a dead giveaway!

FD today and I’m feeling strong. OH is so supportive, he cooked my small piece of sirloin to go with my thai beef salad (no noodles, just veges) for lunch today and is cooking a chicken breast with lots of spices and vege stir fry for dinner tonight. I have some fruit and all set for a successful day.

I hope everyone has a stunning day and for those on the South East Coast of Aus – HOORAY It is RREALLY raining at last!!! We are supposed to get a months’ worth of rain in the next 2-3 days and the even better news is the parched farmers are getting lots of rain too.

Thinking of you and your OH today G’day. Hoping to hear good news soon.
    Calif my OH has another week to wait – his surgery is scheduled for 11 Oct. I’ll hold your thoughts close, and thank you for them. I am very happy your eye surgery has had such great results.
    LJ those orchids are exquisite – clever you.
    Anzac that pup is too too cute. You could forgive it anything (almost).
    We used to have 3 Irish (red) setters. A fond (!) memory is hearing a kerfuffle outside one windy day, and seeing two of the dogs at the rotary clothes line, each with a corner of a sheet in its mouth, running running running, til their feet flew off the ground and their ears were horizontal. Needless to say, the sheet didn’t make it. The wind always made them crazy (or crazier).
    Cinque I will podcast the Leigh Sales interview. I think she’s really become a very fine (and dogged) interviewer. Did you read the article about her in the weekend Sydney Morning Herald? I also saw her on Julia Zemiro’s Home Delivery… I liked her down to earth approach.
    Thin thanks for the info about the horse’s mouth – interesting to know where these expressions come from (and btw, no fact is useless … especially on this forum 🙂
    I’m multitasking – drying my hair while I write. I’m off to the doctor at 9am to get the results of my blood tests. I’m hoping for good things …. I wish I’d had them done before we went to Bali, when I’d been on the straight and narrow and highly carb restricted.
    Then I am going to come home and resurrect the kitchen ..the benches have finally dried. I did cook dinner in there last night – fish and veges – for my FD, which was very rewarding…..point 8 of a kilo off. Another one tomorrow. So nice to be back in the swing.
    Happy day all

Good Morning All

Not sure if I have already written this or if I just thought it, but Anzac your puppy is just gorgeous!! LJ so are your orchids!

I am on second day of B2B today. Yesterday was a successful FD even though I weighed 100g heavier this morning!! Not worried, it will all even out in the long run.
    I had a yummy and filling FD dinner last night. It was a ‘stew’ made from Sujuk (a turkish or lebanese sausage made from beef, similar to chorizo but not as fatty) and a tin of mexican bean mix. I added a can of tomatoes, onion, garlic, celery and carrot and also some home made chilli sauce, bay leaves and italian herbs. I served mine with cauliflower rice. I think I will make that again sometime.

Hope you are all doing well. Have a great day x

What a lot of great posts to accompany my frothy coffee Thursday.

CalifD, thanks for keeping watch while we slept.

Lindsay, you conjured up a fabulous image of your red setters! It was worth sacrificing the sheets for that. Maybe MAXX could have a go at that activity. At least the blood tests will provide a realistic snap shot of what’s going on now. I bet they’ll be great. I’m impressed that you can dry your hair and write a blurb concurrently. The only way I can reconcile those two activities is that by ‘drying my hair’ you meant ‘waiting for it to dry’. 🙂

Quacka, I went up in weight after a FD too. It happens sometimes.

LJ, the orchids are magnificent.

Arel, I liked your idea of time-stamping your post because I can never work out how long it’s been since the last person posted.

Anzac, we have rain scheduled in the west too. Not that it ever really stopped; it was a very wet winter. I enjoyed it though.

Best wishes for good health to all.

Good morning SHs,

I had an early start as I needed to get a birthday cake baked for my niece before I head out to be driver for my aunt again. Her favourite banana cake is now cooling on a rack and, at her request, I’ll add cream cheese frosting this afternoon once it cools. As I’m doing a controlled day today I’m going to have to keep my finger out of that frosting!

GDSA, best wishes to your OH for his surgery today. I hope it goes well and his recovery is speedy. That’s good planning with the motel room – I think being able to cater for yourself helps.

Anzac, well done on your water intake. I only manage to drink enough water when the weather is hot. When it’s cold I seem to replace a few of those glasses of water with cups of tea.
    Your OH clearly enjoys cooking – so nice that you have “chef” prepared healthy meals.

Lindsay, I’m sure an occasional G&T won’t hurt. Like most things, it’s excess rather than moderation that causes most dietary problem.
    Loved your story of the red setters, I can just picture it – they created their own fair-ground ride! When my sister-in-law got a border collie, her husband lost the sleeves on all of his long sleeve business shirts that were drying on the rotary clothes line. Some were salvageable, but had to become short sleeve shirts for summer.

Cali, Oh dear, I was hoping Thin would be wrong about you seeing all the cleaning that needs doing! I’m sure you can find something more interesting to do than cleaning.

Arel, happy anniversary and well done on the 9kg. I think it’s always worth getting a visual on what the weight loss looks like to remind yourself of just what you’ve accomplished.
    Although I’m a big believer in ditching the big clothes, I also think there might be some benefit in hanging onto one garment to remind you of the progress you’ve made.

Quacka, that’s a positive attitude, I am sure it will even out in the long run, sometimes the scales force us to be patient. Hope the second day of your B2B goes well. That dinner does sound yummy. I haven’t seen sujuk, but am very familiar with chorizo. I’ll look out for it – always happy to find a new ingredient to try.

I’m going to try something from the freezer tonight. I’ll cook some veg and put a little chilli con carne with it. At least that’s the plan, I’ll see if I can face it when the time comes. I may end up resorting to having yet another poached egg with my veg. Eggs and ricotta are my main protein sources at present.

Have a nice day everyone. Good luck to all the fasters.

Lindsay – that vision of your Irish Setters made me laugh!
    Maxx used to sometimes grab onto a towel and swing on the clothes line when he was a puppy, but thankfully seems to have grown out of that. Now just need him to stop his constant counter/table/floor surfing looking for crimes to commit.

Thankyou for the kind words about the photo. He IS cute and very lucky that he is! OH is at home with him all day while I’m at work (except for my one day per week that I work from home and weekends of course) and I often get a long list of ‘challenges’ that they faced together during the day when I get home. Or worse; if I get home to a simple statement ‘he’s yours’ and a retreating back I know it was an extra frustrating day for him. People keep telling us that Labradors will ‘grow up’ at around 4 years of age. Oh dear….he’s only 11 months!

Ok I am struggling people. It is 12 noon, it is cool and rainy here (loving the rain) and this morning I could smell bacon cooking at the cafe next door. So all morning I have been wanting food, any food would do. I think I have been actually hungry only once but this craving is annoying me!!
    I have bacon in the fridge at home and may have to cook some up to have as part of FD dinner – if I make it to dinner time.

Oh dear.

On a plus side, I was just texting to my sister and she mentioned something disgusting about her cold that she currently has. I wrote back to her saying ‘lucky I am on a fast day’. She then asked if I was still doing 5:2 and then asked if that is my way of life now. I haven’t really talked to her about it being my way of life so I’m hoping that something of what she read in MM’s book (that I loaned her) has stayed with her. Or she has been researching it on the net! I would really love for my sister and my mum to start 5:2. I think it would help both of their health immensely and also my sister’s self esteem. They live two doors apart and so could easily support each other. Dad would also benefit 🙂

Anyway thanks for reading my little whine. Hopefully I will make it to dinner. I am going to do my best 🙂

Hope everyone else on a FD or a CD is doing great 🙂 Oh and also the NFD’ers of course 🙂

Quacka, sorry you’re having a tough FD. Are you at work? I was going to suggest going out and shopping or doing something different to distract yourself, but if you’re at work you can’t very well do that. Maybe tonight for dinner you could do a single slice of bacon on paper towels in the microwave, to absorb most of the grease. Then crumble it and sprinkle it over a big salad. You’d have the taste of the bacon and one slice could go a long way. And a single slice is only about 50 calories. Or you could wait until tomorrow. But adding it to something low calorie might get rid of the craving. That has to be one of the most tempting foods to smell cooking I rarely eat it but I still like the smell of it.

We had our first rain in many months today and more is predicted for the next couple of days. Time to trim the fur on our dog’s feet. They are like 4 fluffy mops, tracking in all kinds of water. Luckily he usually waits for us to wipe his paws when he comes back indoors.

What a coincidence Cali, we are having a drought here too and today we are getting significant rain for the first time in months also.

Are there any pictures of your dog that you could share? He sounds very cute.

Good luck making it through Quacka…it’s so hard when your senses are in overdrive from a delicious smell of something cooking. I hope your sister and parents look more closely at this WOL. It was my sister who put me onto this and I’m so glad she did.

Good luck keeping away from that frosting LJoyce 🙂

Thin, typing with one hand, and blowing with the other. One handed typing is a skill I learned as a journalist many years ago….but then it was holding the phone and not a hair dryer.
    LJ I think the G is fine – it’s the T that’s the problem. I am not quite used to diet tonic … but I’ll get there. And it’s now a special occasion drink, not every day as it was.
    Anzac I think all gun dogs are a bit flighty .. the Labs seem to take time to mature. The setters never did. My OH’s dog could open every gate and after she’d let the other two out, she’d go back inside and wait for us to get home. When we tied the gates shut, she got out once by running up a rake that was leaning against our very tall fences. Labs tend to be heavier and not as agile, and that’s a blessing.
    Quacka is there anything more tempting when you’re hungry that sizzling bacon. Does a big drink of water help?
    And a PS: All my tests were fine. HbA1c is 5.3, cholesterol is good, trigs good too, and HDL up. All an improvement since I started this wol. Vit D down a bit and thyroid off, but just needing a bit of adjustment. Yea!

Lindsay, I told my niece about your red setters antics with the sheet on the line. She said her two eldest kids used to do something similar when they were little. Although I suspect their ears didn’t fly back in such a dramatic fashion!
    Well done on the blood tests.

Anzac, I did stay out of the frosting, but I have just eaten 2 thin crusts from the loaf of spelt sourdough that I bought this morning. I had factored in some bread today so this is OK.
    I hope you enjoy that rare rain. It looks like NSW and WA are getting plenty of rain today.

Cali, as soon as you described your dogs paws as fluffy mops I was imagining training him to mop the floor! What do you think?

Quacka, hopefully the bacon cooking smells ended with lunch time. Do you have some FD food you can have at work? I like Cali’s idea of crumbling one piece of bacon over your dinner. Good luck getting through to dinner time, I hope your afternoon is easier.

After taking my aunt to her appointment I raced home and slathered the cream cheese fronting onto my niece’s birthday cake. This afternoon I went with her and most of my great nieces & nephews to a “Plaster Palace”, where we all painted plaster ornaments of our choice. All the kids were true to form – the girls all chose cat figurines and the boys chose skulls! This was my effort: https://imgur.com/OBsqk25

Not sure the chilli con carne is going to work tonight. The closer I get to dinner time the less I feel like it. I guess it’s eggs again!

Hi everyone and thanks for your support today.

The bacon is still on the fridge ready for some amazing thing I will make with it tomorrow lol

I made it to 3pm with out anything to eat then ate my cauliflower rice with konjac noodles. Sounds awful but I had cooked the cauliflower rice the night before with coconut oil. I’m not a huge fan of coconut oil as I think it is over hyped but I really love the flavour it gives the cauliflower rice.

Then I got home from work and it kind of fell apart. OH was home this afternoon due to rain and had T bones out ready for dinner. All good, no need to eat the whole lot. He was to make veggies with the t bones which was great.
    Then I had a couple of beers, ate the whole t bone and plenty of veggies mainly broccoli and cauliflower but still plenty. For some reason I then needed to have half a bread roll with butter. So I did.

That is the exactly what a blown FD looks like.

I’m annoyed with myself but at the same time I am not going to be too harsh on myself. I will sort it next week on my normal FDs. This way of life is sustainable to me as I can still falter like that and then fix it with next FD’s. I’ve also learned that when I stuff it up like that it will still be ok. Just keep on going.

I hope you are all doing well. Remember we are all here 🙂

Quacka, commiserations on your expanded FD dinner.
    I think Merry’s advice of just climbing back on the horse that bucked you off is wise here.
    There is always a silver lining too – you were quite likely still under your NFD TDEE, so if you can manage another FD this week it could turn out quite rosy.

Quacka, that FD seemed doomed from the onset – bad luck working next door to a cafe that sends its exhaust fumes your way. But when you downed the beers, you’d had it! Sounds like you’ve picked yourself up ready to fight again next time! I hope your family get on board – personally, I can’t work out why everyone’s not doing 5:2!

LJ, nice effort. Good, clean family fun. What are you hoping for?

Lindsay, shame the G is virtually unpalatable without the T. I’d still rather drink less and have the non-diet version. And it must be Shweppes, none of that Kirk’s stuff.

Those setters sound like real characters. Our dingo could scale a 7′ wall and, if not home when we returned, we’d first check at the river and often find her chasing jet skis up and down the riverbank, usually with a crowd gathered. This was in addition to a daily 10km run alongside OH on his bike. That dog could run so fast, you could only see dust. I still miss her. Dogs are just the best.

CalifD, enjoy the rain.

LJ, I love your plaster art project! It looks really nice on your table. Sorry you are still stuck with the bland diet. Sounds like you should just go with it for a while until your stomach settles down.

Quacka, it sounds like your OH is trying to sabotage your weight loss. Having T bone steaks and beer there for you isn’t being very supportive. Maybe it’s time to sit down and have a talk with him. Weight loss isn’t just about vanity, it’s also your health. It’s hard enough keeping ourselves in line sometimes without having someone else tempting us with more food than we should eat. The whole family needs to be on board.
    On my FD my OH has food that I’ve made ahead of time or I go to Subway and pick up a sandwich for him. (He loves Subway.) Or sometimes I’ll make fish or something that is low calorie and just eat less of it myself.

Thin, it must have been fun watching your dingo run. Did she walk well on a leash? How do you make sure a dog like that gets enough exercise? I love the story about how she adopted you.

Anzac, we rarely get rain in the summer here. Everything that isn’t on some sort of watering system turns beige. It’s so nice when the hills turn green in the winter. It’s raining again today but not too hard. I hope it keeps up. Our trees need it.

Hi all. Loved the dogs on the rotary clothes line story it gave me a chuckle.

OH’s operation didn’t quite go to plan yesterday. They weren’t able to do the planned procedure as when they performed the preliminary exploratory procedure they discovered the blockage was in one of the heart arteries from his bypass surgery he had many years ago and it would be too risky to operate on that artery again. So they best they can do is use medication to assist the blood flow around the blockage.

We have a free day in Adelaide today before returning home tomorrow. All the food I bought with us is eaten as I was expecting to spend a few days on my own while OH was in hospital however he only spent 9 hours in there so I ended up feeding 2 people instead of 1 from the food.

Time for my second morning coffee (OH is still sleeping) and then decide what to do for the day. Take care everyone.

Viewing 50 posts - 17,501 through 17,550 (of 28,029 total)

You must be logged in to reply.