Gained back weight plus more

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Gained back weight plus more

This topic contains 22 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Merryme 8 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• So I was on the 5:2 diet for a month and I lost almost 4 kilos. I am 5ft2in and was 64kg and went down to 60kg. I decided to stop for a while and as a result I have gained back the weight plus an extra 5 kilos. That’s a lot of weight on my small frame. I’m unable to go back to the weight I was before I started the diet through regular healthy eating and an active lifestyle.

I wonder if this for the same reason why people on the ketogenic diet regain the weight and sometimes increase their body fat once the diet is ceased. I read this article which summarises a Harvard study and it says that “on a ketogenic diet the levels of the hormone cortisol increase by 18%, and the levels of active thyroid hormone (T3) control metabolism decrease by 12% (1)”.

Could this be the case for 5:2?

I know I could lose the weight again if I go back to 5:2 but I would have to maintain the lifestyle. This is not sustainable as it requires a lot of self control which is not an endless resource. If you are studying, have mental illness, family pressures, work stress or any other area in your life that requires discipline, then focusing even one day per week on fasting could exacerbate the problems.

Has anyone else had a problem with post 5:2 weight gain?

Hi,

The unfortunate truth is that we need to change our eating habits in order to keep off excess weight. It stands to reason that if obesity is caused by eating too much we need to stop doing so in order to remain at a healthy weight once we have lost the excess and the less one weighs the fewer calories are needed to sustain the body.
    It is also a fact that the majority of people on any weight loss diet regain all the weight and more and that is because they go back to their old eating habits.

I’ve been overweight and a yo-yo dieter for most of my adult life and have lost a huge amount of weight with 5:2 and my goal weight is in sight. I am working hard to banish my bad habits. I live to eat but I recognise that in order to be at a healthy weight I have to exercise portion control and not eat more than I need every day. That involves having cake for lunch rather than in addition to it, choosing between wine and dessert etc. I’ll still be eating whatever I fancy but not all of it every day. I also know I shall be fasting for the rest of my life in order to maintain my weight and I am happier doing that than being constantly miserable in an obese body.

I hope you are able to get back to fasting and lose the weight, but you’ll have to make sacrifices.

I’m not sure if you actually read my post. I have no doubt that hard work and lifestyle change is necessary to lose weight, my point is though that I gained back more weight than I started with and my diet hasn’t changed from when I was lighter.

Perhaps raised cortisol and decreased metabolism is part of the reason like with the ketogenic diet. I don’t know.

I would like to do the 5:2 again but know that if something happens in my life, e.g. a family death, I won’t gain the weight back.

When I’m happy and healthy, 5:2 is fine. When I’m under stress, my weight takes very low priority. I understand people do the diet for various reasons, I’m simply discussing it in relation to weight management.

I saw a BBC documentary about diets a couple years ago. They said something like 88% of people who lose weight gain it all back and more within 5 years. This is mainly because after the goal is reached they go back into their old eating habits, which is what got them overweight in the first place. I know this all too well from personal experience.

As Amazon said, the only way to keep the weight off after you’ve lost it is to change your eating habits. For me, I lost about 65 pounds a couple years ago by counting calories with the aid of an iPhone app. I knew that counting calories for every meal wasn’t something I could do long term so I’m now doing 5:2 to maintain my weight. Counting calories 2 days a week is doable for me.

I don’t have the magic answer for you, but would like to wish you success in however you decide to lose the weight. I’m sure many of us here ave been in your position more than once; I know I have.

Bronx

Mopo,

I lost weight last year on 5:2 (72kg down to 59). Since May/June 2014 I have maintained that weight loss (+/-1kg) without regular fasting. I probably fast once every few weeks. I have however changed my diet and now eat no bread during the week, rice/pasta occasionally only, added sugar (cakes/biscuits) at weekends only.

I don’t know about cortisol and metabolism. But I would look at my eating habits before I looked for a physiological reason.

100% agree with Happynow…you need to be absolutely honest with yourself about how much you are eating. Keep a food diary for a week or two to see what you’re eating.

Willpower is not an endless resource, agreed, but if losing weight will make you happy why is it such an effort?

Personally I think you have to revisit your motivations, think about where you want to get to and how that will feel.

I think everyone is oversimplifying what I’m trying to say. I tried to start a discussion about post-5:2 weight gain, not about my eating habits. No one here knows me, my diet, genetics or lifestyle.

So if anyone wants to discuss my questions properly, answer me this:

Has anyone gained back all of the weight from stopping the 5:2 diet, even after switching to a healthy diet and not overeating?

Is the only way 5:2 can be effective for weight loss and maintenance is if you make the unrealistic promise to fast for 1 or 2 days per week for the rest of your life?

Are there any studies on humans that show that 5:2 could actually negatively impact your metabolism and cortisol levels?

If anyone is going to tell me to look at my life look at my choices, please don’t. That’s not what this thread is about.

Mopo,

I thought you wanted to understand the reasons why you had gained weight after stopping 5:2. The likeliest reason is that you are consuming more calories than your body needs. It is possible to eat healthily and still overeat!

5:2 is like any other diet. It works for weight loss, but you’ll put weight back on if you stop and have not changed habits.

Plenty of people are now fasting once or twice a week for life, and don’t think they’ve made an ‘unrealistic promise’ to do so. However, if you read my post you’ll see that I don’t need to fast that frequently to maintain my weight, so no, making an ‘unrealistic promise’ to fast once or twice a week isn’t the only way intermittent fasting can be effective. What is effective is making a commitment (a realistic promise) to not consume more than my body needs.

As I say, I don’t know about fasting/ cortisol/ metabolism.

I did read an interesting story though a while ago about gut flora, and stool transplants leading to weight gain:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-31168511

So if you honestly aren’t overeating, and can’t stop yourself from gaining weight, maybe your gut flora are to blame.

Anyway, I’m not medically trained, so I can’t add anything further to this thread. But really, before going in search of excuses, I’d be asking why I can’t commit to something as simple as eating a bit less once in a while…

Good luck finding the answers you ‘want’.

No-one is over simplifying anything, we are all saying that regaining weight and more after stopping 5:2 is due to eating more than the body needs, and in Happy’s case that it is not necessary to fast every week in order to maintain weight if we have learned not to over eat on a daily basis which is what caused the weight gain in the first place.

Hi Moto

I think I get your point.

I’m not a scientist but I have read cortisol can affect weight regulation. Actually I have read that fasting affects cortisol in a positive way, in that it aids weight loss. Intensive exercise affects cortisol in the same way. I don’t know if there have been tests on how fasting affects the metabolism. It may well be it does, but perhap&s the picture is not so complicated.

I can’t answer the first question, but logically you can’t put on weight if you don’t overeat. If there has been a change in metabolism, and 5:2 and changed our metabolism, the result would be – and indeed may be – we need less food after reducing to our goal weight than we did when we were previously at that weight. BUT, other factors will have changed. We would be older, perhaps many years older. And the last time we were at this target weight we were almost certainly eating more than we needed, hence weight gain.

So no study will give you a definitive answer, because you now can’t compare yourself at target weight with yourself at that weight the previous time you were there. And you can’t compare yourself with anyone else.

I hope that makes sense.

Your second question, is the only way 5:2 can be effective at weight losss …….

That’s easy, No.

5:2 is merely a tool, a format to organize weight loss and weight maintenance. (Of course, discussing 5:2 for weight loss only, not health benefits).

The simple theory is if you eat under TDEE every day and a quarter of TDEE twice a week, you will eat 20% less than you need. If you choose to eat to either an interim or a final target, you will lose more weight, until you reach that target. If you reach target and continue 5:2 you will lose more weight, as you will STILL be eating 80% of your TDEE in a week.

A calorie control diet of 80% of your TDEE will achieve the same weight loss – how it would affect metabolism and cortisol compared to 5:2 I can’t answer – another way would be to fast completely for 6 days a month, consecutively or split.

And yes, you can stay there by being active and eating healthily. You could stay there eating badly and not exercising, come to think of it. And you can stay that way for life.

The ONLY thing you HAVE to do is work out your TDEE and ALWAYS eat below it. Either every single day, or average over a period of time. Studies may be done to show metabolism and cortisol have had a effect, so fasting may increase or decrease that TDEE compared to what it would be under another weight loss regime.

It’s an interesting point. If one fasts to get to targets weight, would TDEE, the number of calories needed to remain at target weight, be a different total number than if weight loss was by another method? Will our girlfriends on weight watchers have a higher TDEE at target? I don’t know.

I think though all TDEEs would be very low, and that’s the very hard part, not eating over TDEE – hence ALL diets can fail. They can – and most often do fail – because people ‘stop’ dieting and overeat, healthy overeating has the same effect as unhealthy overeating – fat is stored and weight goes back on.

5:2 after weight loss is simply a coping strategy to prevent failure, for occasions you go over TDEE, Happy uses it for the times life takes over and she eats a little more than TDEE, but she has other coping strategies which she has explained, those keep her within her TDEE most of the time, 5:2 is for when life intervenes, a big meal out, an extra glass of wine. Critically, Happy’s strategies are on going, simply for life. Happy has had her lightbulb moment, that she needed a strategy and has worked one out, and for the rest of us, we can follow her light instead of clambering around in the dark trying to figure it out. What a lovely analogy!!!**

For some, a weekly day or two of fasting means that they can eat more than TDEE most days, a bit like an overdraft, bank 2000 calories by fasting for two days, draw them back out for the extra glass of wine, for a big meal, for life’s stresses or simply because eating under TDEE for the rest of your life is a step to far.

So 5:2 is a very useful tool in weight management. But it is a hard discipline and it is for life. And at the end of the day, for most it is about eating really very little food, for the rest of our lives, or its about becoming more active and raising TDEE, but that is for life as well.

However you cut the cake, if your TDEE is around 1300 – I estimate that is my TDEE at my target weight, it’s a small cake – and as you age it will become even smaller.

Milena,

It’s interesting that you now bring TDEE to the table.

Going back to Mopo’s original post… She was 5ft2 and 64kg when she began 5:2. Let’s assume she is 40 and lightly active. That would give a TDEE of roughly 1700 calories.

She did 5:2 for a month and lost nearly 4kg (so let’s say 2lbs/week). 500 calories on a fast day would be a deficit of 2400 calories a week (quarter TDEE would be around 2600; water fast would be 3400 deficit). One lb is roughly 3500 calories. So even if Mopo ate nothing for 2 days a week, the numbers don’t stack up to a 2lb per week weight loss? If she ate 500 cals on a fast day, she would have had to severely calorie restrict on non-fast days to achieve the required calorie deficit?

Did you do anything else different during your month on 5:2 Mopo to account for your rate of weight loss and which could have affected subsequent weight gain?

I generally eat much less that 2000 calories per day as I am quite short and have a desk job. On weekends I can eat more though.

I don’t know, I think weight gain and loss is complicated and nuanced, it can be influenced by many factors including stress, medication, mental illness, lifestyle changes, genetics, hormones, insulin resistance levels, peer pressure and probably much more.

Perhaps I am looking for something to blame for why my hard work was undone, or maybe I’m frustrated that I eat less and healthier than the people around me yet still I’m overweight. I do have a family history of diabetes, so maybe I’m insulin resistant? Or maybe I’m not as active as I think?

Overall I don’t want to have disordered eating patterns and be neurotic about food but it seems to be the only way for me to stay a healthy weight.

We are all with you as far as not wanting to be neurotic about food and have disrupted eating patterns, but in order to keep weight off once we’ve worked hard to lose it a compromise has to be made between dieting and the way we used to eat.
    The most difficult thing for me was accepting that I cannot continue to over eat if I want to stay healthy and mobile. It has taken me a long time to change my eating habits but I am determined to maintain my new habits and find a way to still have the foods I enjoy and keep my weight steady.
    I’m not at goal yet but I know that it will be far easier for me to continue to fast twice per week than worry about every single thing I eat every day. I never want to be obese again as I am fitter, healthier and happier than I’ve been for many years.

I hope you manage to find a way to get back to fasting and when you get to goal find a compromise that suits your lifestyle.

Hi Happy

part of the problem is that the numbers don’t always stack up – but contrarily, they do! I’ve spent 2 weeks doing 2:5 – my halo was blinding it was so well polished, didn’t lose a gram – then went totally off the reservation on a break, ate whatever I wanted, no fast days, got back – I hadn’t put on an ounce.

And strangely it all makes sense – I think my comment after no weight loss that my fat was hanging on for dear life was actually not far off the mark. I assume that over the three weeks I ate exactly what I needed to do to maintain my weight. In which case perhaps the reality of having to eat less for life isn’t so bad as we think! Gives us a a wee bit of hope. We just need to bank a load of calories before contemplating having time off plan!

As for being frustrated, Mopo, I’m printing the tee shirts at the moment!!!!

Hi milena:

If you go to page 4 and my 17 Jan 15 post on this thread, you will find one reason why ‘the numbers don’t add up’. In fact, they usually do (roughly, as everyone is different), but just not when people think they should! https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

You are on to something when you understand the calorie count is averaged over time. You did in fact lose fat weight when you were doing 2:5, but it just did not show, probably because of water retention and other factors. You did in fact add weight when on holiday, but it just offset your earlier weight loss. Many people get upset when what they think the timing should be for their weight loss does not happen – and quit.

That is too bad. Because if they just keep on going, their weight loss will ‘magically’ show up eventually.

Thanks Sim

I think there is a zone and I’m finally in it – I wasn’t at all phased when the weight stayed put, the point of the 2:5 was to ‘bank’ some calories – so many foods in Denmark are covered in mayo, its the home of Carlsberg and of course there is the Danish pastry – a good job I don’t eat cheese or there would be not hope for me!

And though I ate more, I would hazard a guess that I was still counting – so whilst I happily went off the reservation, the totem pole was still in sight. And there was a LOT of walking involved!

Did think there might be a little weight gain, but my clothes were fitting and I felt good so was only expecting a slight increase, but no gain at all was nice.

Glad you are here though, we need someone to keep pointing it out its all about staying the course! Thank you!!!!

Hi mopo 123

‘I wonder if this for the same reason why people on the ketogenic diet regain the weight and sometimes increase their body fat once the diet is ceased. I read this article which summarises a Harvard study and it says that “on a ketogenic diet the levels of the hormone cortisol increase by 18%, and the levels of active thyroid hormone (T3) control metabolism decrease by 12% (1)”.’

Do you have a link for this Harvard Study or where you read the article summarising it?

Many thanks

Helen x

I think it’s this one

http://www.zonediet.com/blog/harvard-explains-people-regain-weight-atkins-diet/

Having read it IMO it is full of holes. It does not state whether patients in the second phase of the study (preparing meals on their own)were sticking to the plan or over eating, and more importantly whether T3 and cortisol levels remain raised after the participants are no longer following the diet and whether they returned to their old eating habits. My guess is they did as Atkins is very difficcult to sustain long term, and we all know that eating lots of processed carbs results in a spare tyre round the middle.

The Zone Diet which is what Atkins was compared to is touted as an anti inflammatory diet, and the author works for the Inflammation Research Foundation.

I’ll add that I worked in health care for forty years and have read a lot of such studies. In doing so I’ve learned that you have to look at what isn’t mentioned, often because the research is flawed or the study did not give the results that were hoped for/expected.

Hi Amazon,

Thanks for giving me the link – I’ve only just read the first few lines and I can see a massive hole. It states that ketonic diets are high protein and very low carb and give Atkins as the main example. But, in fact, Atkins is now a low-carb, high-fat and moderate protein diet. It has changed a lot over the years and is now much easier to maintain. It strictly restricts the level of protein you have at each meal and the high fat (now known to aid weight loss on a low-carb diet) makes it much easier to stick to.

I know this from experience, as I am doing Atkins phase 2 on my non-fast days. This is because in the past, when trying 5:2, I couldn’t control my carb cravings on my non-fast days. Atkins has got rid of my cravings completely – it’s a very healthy diet on its own but I’m doing 5:2 with it to get the extra health benefits and give my weight loss a boost.

Many thanks for your help

Helen x

You’re welcome. Studies of that type irritate me immensely as they can be very misleading. The other glaring omission thing was the number of participants. It could be 4, 40 or 400 and that would have a huge bearing on the accuracy and relevance of the results.

I followed Atkins over twenty years ago and had great success, but it was impossible to sustain and I went back to my old (over)eating habits and regained the weight lost plus more which until I found 5:2 is the story of my life.
    IMO the medical profession have never forgiven Atkins for proving them all wrong.

Hi Amazon,

that article on the Harvard study was on Dr Sears’ Zone diet website. I followed the Zone diet years ago (it was ok, but I preferred Atkins) and read his book many times – he argues very convincingly about his diet and I see from that article that he hasn’t lost he powers of persuasion – but, as you say, the study is flawed and irritatingly inaccurate.

BTW, I was also in health care for 35 years – so we have a lot in common.

Helen x

I meant to give you this link to another study re energy expenditure (aka metabolism) not adversely affected by low carb diet. It’s a bit heavy reading in places but is a much better study than the Harvard one.

http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1199154

Helen x

Hi Mopo,

Sorry can’t help with the cortisol question. Would like to comment though on something else.

You say that you were on 5:2 for 1 month. You also say that it requrired large amounts of willpower, and that is why you see it as unrealistic in the long term. In my case the bit of willpower was only for a few weeks and then it was easy.

That to me is important. A few weeks then it was easy. It was in that few weeks that I was getting my head around it, and working out how to get through a fast day. For me not eating at all and then eating 500 cals at 6 pm turned out to be easy. Eating through the day woke ‘the hunger dragon’. Other people find eating breakfast then waiting till dinner makes it easy for them. I’m suggesting that perhaps you weren’t on 5:2 long enough to work out what would make it easy for you. Now I find 5:2 very easy, very sustainable, and I intend to stay on it for life..

I do certainly understand what you’re saying about the other things that trip us up. I call that ‘Life’, as in when Life get’s in the way. It happens to all of us, in various forms, and we are all learning how to eat and live while going through those times. For some people it’s a trigger to eat, and for others, a trigger to not eat enough. The good thing about 5:2 is that it’s only 2 days a week, not 7 days a week., and if you don’t do it during a particular time of stress you can go back to it whenever you want. Over time (not in 1 month) it also seems to train our bodies and our psychology to eat better, as in taking smaller portions and making better choices. We often find that things we once turned to as ‘life pressure’ foods don’t attract us anymore, or certainly a lot less.

I’ve been on 5:2 fir 1 yr, sedentary through ill health, and have lost 15 kgs. It’s been a process over time of working out things, and I couldn’t have said what my body’s response to 5:2 was after only 1 month. Over this year I’ve worked out what to eat, and when, to get the weight off, and also how to make the weight loss stop and my weight stay steady.

I wish you well Mopo, and hope you are able to work your way through this. Don’t get discouraged. Remember we are all working out what works for us individually. Good luck, and stay on the forum till you get it worked out.
    Merry

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply.