Fibromyalgia

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  atcgirl 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Hi
    I’m 42 and have been recently diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I am carrying 4 stone more than I need to be and am sure it’s not helping the pain.
    I am having my first fast day today and wondered if anyone else has fibro?
    Thank you.

Hi Bailey
    Sorry to hear that you have fibromyalgia.

I was told they thought I had it some years ago. At the time I wasnt sleeping, suffering from arthritis in my hands, anxiety and all sorts. I did gradually improve as I tried all sorts of things to help myself, like cutting down on meat (which seemed to help a bit), reducing stress and also cutting out all sugar and my increasing exercise levels.
    Once I began the 5:2 I noticed that the stiffness was really improving and my sleep improved and the aches and pains were better too. It did take time though. I think the fasting helps your body sort itself out.

I’m still not sure if I really had fibro though.

Best of luck with the fasting, Im doing mine today too. Ive lost 5 kilos in the last three months. I also feel lighter on my feet already and more energetic.

Thank you for your reply.
    It’s encouraging to know you have improved and are feeling better.
    Just having green tea. Been doing well today… a carrot and satsuma. I have a healthy veg tea prepared for later.
    Good to be here.

Bailey1270, I have been using a device for insomnia called the Fisher Wallace stimulator for insomnia which boosts production of seratonin and dopamine. It is also effective for depression, anxiety and fibro. http://www.fisherwallace.com

I have no relationship to this company beyond being a VERY satisfied customer. Are you in the US? Your insurance may cover. Mine did.

And cutting out sugar is a great idea.

Hi Bailey, and welcome to 5:2 and the 5:2 forum,

I have Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome), and a tiny bit of Fibromyalgia. Many people with ME/CFS have Fibro. I started 5:2 3stone overweight and am now 5lbs from my target weight. I am off my BP medication and no longer need a yearly round of cardiac tests, and the weight loss has added other benefits. I can now go down stairs quickly and fluidly with good balance. I go up stairs and slopes a bit easier. I walk a little quicker. Bending over to puck things up, getting up and down off floor or chairs is easier. I am no longer carring around the equivalent of 4x 10pound sacks of potatoes. I have been on 5:2 for almost 2 yrs, with maintaining where I was at for 8months in the middle of that when I went through a period of high stress. Doing 5:2 during that 8months meant I stayed stable rather than put on a lot of weight from stress eating.

I can’t comment on how the weight loss would effect your fibro pain or pain levels, but the weight loss can only be good as your body will not be struggling to carry that 4 stone around. Your joints will be not be overworking trying to carry the weight as well as you will have improved cardiac function.

There have been several of us on the forum with varying conditions that make us sedentary and 5:2 works for us too.

Hi! My name is Jami and I also have fibro, along with IBS, migraines, sleep apnea, restless legs, depression, and anxiety. The depression is under control and I sleep with a CPAP. Weight loss has been difficult for the last 12 years – ever since hysterectomy. I would like to try this way of eating between Thanksgiving and Christmas to see how I do. I have about 20 lbs to lose. I definitely don’t want to gain over the holidays!

Hi Jami,

I am sorry to hear that you suffer so much with various complaints. It would be worth just checking with your GP to see if the 5:2 is ok for you before you begin.

Best of luck.

Hi Bailey1270 – I have fibro and lost about 2 stone earlier in the year taking me from a bmi of just under 25 to just under 20 – I wasn’t even overweight to start with and the reduction in lower body pain has been very noticeable. Upper however, no change.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply.