Feel like giving up – advice please?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Feel like giving up – advice please?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  virginialu 9 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• I started 5:2 a little over two weeks ago. I am 5ft 2ins tall and started at 10 stone. My goal is to get to 9 stone.
    I lost 2 pounds at the end of week one.
    Despite sticking rigidly to just under 500 calories on my fast days and eating sensibly on my non fast days, I have put 1 pound back on this week.
    The tape measure shows a small loss around my waist and hips – 1 inch on both.
    I am post Menopausal so it’s not TOTM.
    I have been keeping a food diary so I know what I have eaten and can’t see where I am going wrong.
    I play golf 3 times a week and have 2 lively dogs that I walk so I am fairly active.
    I know this is a life style plan and that weight loss is very steady but feel really down about gaining this week. I don’t think I have unrealistic expectations and would have been happy enough if I had stayed the same.

Can anyone suggest where I may be going wrong please?
    Do you think doing 4.3 for a couple of weeks may help? I feel like giving up and trying Slimming World or something but want to do this for the health benefits.

Hi Carolv, i too have not lost this week, but my internals have slowed down and it’s been really cold outside stopping long walks.
    I have done 4:3 since I started and have almost accidentally done extra fasts in between. But I am not disheartened, this is a way of life now and I am going to defy my body and continue. Please take heart and continue.
    During the whole of January I have lost 7lbs which is the most I have ever done in that time on a diet. I do write everything into my app, I use tescohealthandwelbeing, it seems to give advice in some hidden places that I’ve only just found.
    Keep reading the blog.

I have just finished my second week and have lost 3.75lbs and 2″ off my waist. I am just over 5ft. Checked out my TDEE level (available on home page) and it is only 1600cals, which means if I only eat 25% on FD then it’s only 400cals. I find that hard, so after checking calories I was eating on eating days I find I am way over my 1600 cals. So instead of cutting down to 400cals Mon & Thurs, I am trying to cut my cals down on eating days. Hoping this will bring better weight loss over time. Don’t forget, it took a long time to get the weight on, so it won’t come off overnight. Don’t give up, it does work.

Thank you for your support Cakey42 and Third time lucky.

My TDE is 1600 too. I may have been going over that having just gone through my food diary, although not by a lot.
    Also hadn’t realised that fasting days should be 25% of that. I think 400cals would be really difficult.

I have downloaded my fitness pal to my phone so going to try using that.
    Definitely going to do 4.3 next week.
    I will stick with it.

Hi Carol and welcome:

I think your problem is with expectations, not with 5:2 not working.

With a TDEE of 1600, you might expect to lose a little less than 12 ounces a week on 5:2. As your body weight can vary two or more pounds in a day, your weight loss caused by 5:2 can easily be masked by those daily fluctuations.

Number one in this post will give you the basics and number four will explain how TDEE and weight loss works: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Hi CarolV. This is week three for me and have lost 1.4 kg which is around 2 and a oit pounds in your language (I am in Australia) Thought this was great but then week two – nothing – in fact 100gm put on. I too thought – bugger this – it isnt working but then I thought like others that this is a long term plan. So I trust my body in what it is doing and just keep on. Dont give up too soon. I also weigh and measure myself at the same time/same day once a week. I do get on the scales during the week but that weight is not ‘official’. Today I thought I would try an experiment and eat for the day like I used to eat before the 5:2 life style change. It got to 11.14 am and I am done with it! Just couldnt keep up the food intake that I used to do. So my body and brain are working to get this weight off and to become healthy. By the way – I am 6 feet tall. Anyway – all the best with your new eating plan and I look forward to follownig your healthy living journey

Hi, I am on the 4:3 for 3 weeks and am down 5 1/2 lbs. I am changing now to 5:2 as I only want to lose about another 5 . I am 52 years of age and post menopausal too . I have found drinking lots of fizzy water with a slice of lemon helps between meals and also I start the day with a coffee and then a brisk 50 min walk. I put off breakfast until after my exercise. I try to fit in another brisk 30 min walk in the evening. I eat the same thing on fast days to make it simple having a 1 egg and white of another with some veg in an omelette . Then homemade veg soup for lunch and a chicken stirfry using half a chicken breast and lots of colorful veg for dinner. I have herbal tea or decaf coffee in the night time and one small square of my favorite dark chocolate. So far so good. It’s not easy but it’s doable and it’s working so I am happy with it. My husband has lost close to 7 lbs as he walks for 90 mins on his fast days as well as exercising on non fast. I have also started swimming and am on 14 lengths now of a good size pools swimming a length a minute. I think good brisk exercise speeds up weight loss and also of course doing 4:3 brought me quicker results. I must admit being out to dinner with friends on most of my 3 weeks on my free days. So overall very pleased with this way of eating and fasting.

I am very impatient with my weight loss, I suppose I have been doing it just under a month.
    I lost 8 pounds in the first week – all water weight I assume, and since then it has been two pounds each week at every weigh in.

Everyone wishes things could go faster, you have to stick with it.
    Make sure you track all your food, and keep it under your TDEE – get the yourfitnesspal app…it is great.

Hi! Don’t worry, I have also been dishearted at times, but hanging in there. I guess if you don’t have so much weight to lose, the pounds will shed off slower. I am 5’8 and want to drop between 15 and 20 pounds, which I thought was a lot. The first weeks it was all slow and depresing, but now on my 4th week I actually fit into jeans that had been hiding for a couple of months. I still have a long way to go and my goal is to wear shorts and skirts by july. I trust the measuring tape more than the scale. So far almost 5 inches off my waist and 2 off my hips. Also, contrary my expectations, I love my fasting days, especially Monday after maybe too many chips over Sunday.

We will all definately make it!!! PATIENCE!!! I really want to lose it and KEEP it off. I’m done with crash diets and the yoyo effect they have had on my body.

Cheers!

simcoelu – I remember reading that this fast should not be done in consectuive days – such as the back to back – Is that true? I have ordered the latest book so I hope that sheds more light for me. I am having a lot
    of difficulty staying under the 500 calories on fast days. but still hoping to pursue.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.