Fasting increases risk for heart disease

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Fasting increases risk for heart disease

This topic contains 14 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  sylvestra 10 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Hi,

What is your comment in relation to the latest study from Harvard School of Public Health that skipping breakfast/fasting increases risk of heart disease by 27%.

Now I haven’t seen the actual study, but a 27% increase does not sound to be massively significant. Remember you are comparing two data sets which both are apt for great internal variation (smoking, exercise etc.)

Hi, kaiser80 – If you want people to discuss the study, it would really be more helpful if you included the relevant link. After a bit of a goose-chase, I think I’ve tracked down one article about the Harvard research study that you are referring to. Let me know if it’s not the one you meant:

‘Skipping Breakfast a Recipe for Heart Disease, Study Finds’ – By Dennis Thompson, HealthDay Reporter, MONDAY, July 22 (HealthDay News):

Extract from the beginning of the article:
    QUOTE: ‘Men who skip breakfast have a 27 percent higher risk of suffering a heart attack or developing heart disease than those who start the day with something in their stomach, according to a new study.

The study confirms earlier findings that have linked eating habits to elevated risk factors for heart disease, the Harvard researchers said.

“Men who skip breakfast are more likely to gain weight, to develop diabetes, to have hypertension and to have high cholesterol,” said Eric Rimm, senior author and associate professor of epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health and associate professor of medicine at the Harvard Medical School.

For example, breakfast skippers are 15 percent more likely to gain a substantial amount of weight and 21 percent more likely to develop type 2 diabetes, earlier studies have reported.

The new study, published July 22 in the journal Circulation, found that these men also indulged more heavily in other unhealthy lifestyle choices. They were more likely to smoke, engage in less exercise and drink alcohol.

“We’ve focused so much on the quality of food and what kind of diet everyone should be eating, and we don’t talk as often on the manner of eating,” said Dr. Suzanne Steinbaum, a preventive cardiologist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City. “This study is not even discussing the type of food. It’s just talking about behavior and lifestyle choice. Part of heart-healthy living is eating breakfast because that prevents you from doing a lot of other unhealthy things.” UNQUOTE

For full article go to: http://news.health.com/2013/07/22/skipping-breakfast-a-recipe-for-heart-disease-study-finds/

As far as I can see, there is no reference to Intermittent Fasting at all and the main body of the study just seems to confirm that the type of person in the study who regularly missed breakfast tended also to be the type of person whose overall lifestyle was more likely to be unhealthy and include a variety of bad habits which are known to lead to an increased risk of heart problems.

I think there’s a world of difference between a) consciously choosing not to eat first thing in the morning as part of a 5:2 Intermittent Fasting weight-loss and health regime and b) frequently missing breakfast because of time-pressure and/or a stressed lifestyle with no regard to diet and health.

As this is your first post on this forum, I’m not sure whether or not you are considering trying the 5:2 approach. If you read around here, you’ll find many people who are thriving on a variety of different fasting patterns which they have each found suits their individual circumstances. Certainly, a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle are crucial but I see little in the article quoted above which I believe should deter anyone from incorporating the 5:2 system into their lives. Best wishes.

Hi Jeanius hope you are well.
    I followed up your link to read the report and I agree with your comments. I also clicked on one or two links within the Health pages and came up with a study it reported upon in its Nov 11th 2009 issue. In it they reported, Quote “New research suggests that a twist on alternative-day fasting may make dieting easier to tolerate and boost heart health to boot”. unquote.
    The study authors reported their findings in Nov 1 issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. I will not repeat the actual study reported on by them suffice to say the report appeared to be saying that the study group of overweight men and women were fed aprox 25% of their daily dietary needs on alternate fast days resulting in weight loss over I think 4 weeks.
    I agree with your final comments and our posters should find no problems with the 5:2 fasting that we carry out.

Hello, Couscous – and thanks for the info about the Nov 2009 article. It looks to me like that article was about the original study which featured in Michael M’s documentary ‘Eat, Fast and Live Longer’, back in August 2012. Krista Varady was mentioned in the article, as ‘an assistant professor of kinesiology and nutrition who led a research team at the University of Illinois at Chicago’, and I believe her work certainly featured prominently in the TV programme.

Here’s a link to the article for anyone who wants to read it for themselves, thereby delving back into the genesis of 5:2 Intermittent Fasting and ‘The Fast Diet’ book –

‘Fasting on Alternate Days May Make Dieting Easier’, November 11, 2009:
    http://news.health.com/2009/11/11/fasting-alternate-days-may-make-dieting-easier/

Thanks also, Couscous, for your good wishes. I’ve just written – and then lost – a long piece about my progress in getting off all my acid-reflux drugs and using natural products instead (raw honey, slippery elm bark powder, and DGL: Deglycyrrhizinated Licorice Root Extract tablets). No drugs now and no intention of returning to them. Gullet seems to be settling down gradually, so long as I’m careful about doing the right things for it – such as eating the right things at the right times, i.e. often – and not eating at the wrong times – evenings/overnight.
    The rest of my ‘progress report’ – blood-test results, weight-loss update, current ‘Joe Cross Reboot’ juicing-fast details, exercise regime changes – will have to wait for another day, I’m afraid, as I’m all typed-out now – sorry to be so irksome. I think I am doing pretty well, though – very motivated to improve my health and well-being and really enjoying all the new subjects that come up on the forum. I hope you can say much the same – or more – for yourself. With all best wishes.

Hi Jeanius, thanks for the insight, very good, I had only read a news article about the study where the 5:2 diet was mentioned, and had not had time to read the study myself. I’m sorry I did not post a link to the study.
    I am still convinced that 5:2 is actually a good way to better health, and I am greatful for the added insights you have given me and others.

Jeanius, thank you for your reply, yes the report I mentioned seems to be what you researched. It also shows the danger and pitfalls of taking at face value a “Snappy Headline” concerning the negative health concerns about a piece of research and how it can spread. My local paper, “The Northern Echo” ran a piece this morning about the Heart disease story as did the “Daily Mail”. While mentioning other lifestyles that impact on the heart issues it is the headline that sticks in peoples minds.
    I have followed your travels concerning the effects the 5:2 lifestyle is having on you including your health issues. I am always impressed with posters who have health issues other than the simple over weight problem that some of us have. That is not to diminish the impact of being overweight because we do recognise the health issues that brings.
    We are all guinea pigs at the moment for the 5:2 lifestyle that Michael has visited upon us. We are all different. Many of us, like yourself dig deeper, research and pass on experiences that benefit many posters. I suspect Michael is keeping a close eye on all of our comments and is hopefully continuing his research into the fasting lifestyle. What comes next?.
    Good luck and good health.

One of my goals is to wake up hungry. I’ve always wondered if the fact that I never want to eat breakfast is a symptom (as if I needed another) of my overeating. If it is, that would explain why people who skip breakfast have more problems. And recently I have gotten hungry earlier than usual after a fast day.

Just about everything that you eat or do will cause some kind of problem in another area to the one that you are trying to fix. Seems to be best not to go to extremes, that is what i like about the 5:2 diet, it is an ideal moderation. My wife is on it to reduce her cholesterol and for her it is working, the first time in several years that something has actually worked. She was in the danger zone and a drop of 0.9 in just five weeks has taken her to the safety area, she would like to get just a little bit lower then she might try changing the 5:2 to a 6:1 for maintenance. I hope to start at the end of this month after my next CT Scan and comprehensive blood tests, I have these every nine weeks so should be able to monitor things regularly.

Thanks Jeanius and thanks too to Kaiser80. The long-term repercussions of this diet are still being explored and whilst I love it, I think it’s important to be challenged and continue to investigate if there any any negative side effects or things people should be wary of. Kudos to the website administrators for allowing people to post both sides so we can make up our own minds.

@whiterabbit
    ” Kudos to the website administrators for allowing people to post both sides so we can make up our own minds.”

Yes, I agree that varying opinions should be voiced.

As for me, fasting gives me a higher potential for living.

The title of this post relates very much to a ‘rant’ I had earlier – over a newspaper article with the headline – ‘Rush for comfort food as 5:2 dieters cram in calories’ … it’s another case of ‘sensationalism over research and truth’.

As Jeanius’ research into the article shows the headline is a distortion of the picture.

It needs to be remembered that a large number of people only read headlines – they do not read the whole piece but then go on to quote the headline as ‘fact’. A little care with ‘headlines’ would go a long way to preventing misunderstanding.

I am a devout believer in the efficacy of 5:2 diet and therefore I very much enjoy this web site. However I am rather puzzled by the few who attempt the diet, some for nearly a month, and fail to lose weight. I would like to hazard a
    guess as to why they fail. Men’s ‘normal’ diet is calculated as 2400 calories
    a day and women’s is 2000 a day. Now I might have eaten 2400 calories a day or so over Christmas but frankly for a 78 year old it’s a large amount of food. I can’t help thinking that others working in more sedentary occupations or around the same age as me would agree. It’s this word ‘normal’ that might be the reason that a very few fail this diet. Perhaps they actually eat more on their their five days than they would eat ‘normally’ because they think they have to?

I’ve been on the fast diet for a few weeks now- but as I get up at 6.20am I do have a small bowl of porridge (150 cal, inc milk ) 100 cal soup at lunch and 250 cal ready meal or fish/ steak and veg at 7. I’m a grazer normally, and just get too hungry to not eat 3x a day. So I should not have a heart risk. The hardest thing is realising what a “normal” day is- sadly I think my “normal” is about 2300, hence why I have yo-yo’d for years. So I’m trying to learn what is 1900. But it’s working – have lost 4lb in 3 weeks.

@JohnRennie I agree that 2400 calories is a fair amount of food but 2400 was taken as an ‘average’ amount for men and 2000 as an ‘average’ for women. That is explained in the ‘how?’ link at the top of the page. It is also explained that it’s up to the individual to calculate their individual TDEE so they can establish the maximum amount they should have on non fast days. the TDEE is based on the person’s gender/age/height/weight/activity level

This can be calculated under the ‘how?’ link or there are many websites with this information.

It is also pointed out within that link that intake on a fast day should be 25% of the individual’s TDEE.

You are right that age plays a part, as does height and weight…at the age of 67 my TDEE is 1595 calories; someone of the same height/weight etc aged 27 would have a TDEE of 1885 calories and someone my age but 6 inches taller would have 1740.

Since my TDEE is 1595, my fast day ‘allowance’ is 400.

Each person needs to calculate the figure and fit 5:2 round their lifestyle on this basis. It’s up to each of us to find the way that works best for us.

xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply.