Fasting and stress/adrenaline/cortisol response

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Medical conditions and fasting
Fasting and stress/adrenaline/cortisol response

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  th 10 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hi

I started the 5:2 last week. However, after my second fast day, my adrenaline/cortisol went through the roof – dreadful sleep, crazy dreams, woke up aching and ‘zinging’ all over. Spent the entire next day on the couch (eating) and with adrenaline symptoms – racy but tired. Still feel pretty bad today and feel it make take several days to recovery fully. Is this diet just not for me because I have such a sensitive nervous system (dysautonomia)? Is there any way to do this diet without driving my stress hormones through the roof from hunger/low calorie intake. FYI alos have hypermobility syndrome, often associated with nervous system conditions.

Thanks

th

Hi TH,

Sorry to hear about your problems! Sounds quite servere!

I am not a doctor but I would suggest as Michael has said in his book, to consult your doctor before embarking on the 5:2 way of life.

My understanding is that your first fast day went O.K.? Did you have a normal eating day inbetween or did you fast for two days in a row?

Did you eat the recommended 500 cal (women) or 600 (men?

Did you calculate your TDE and ate the amount on your non fast days?

Hope a solution can be found! I am sure others will come with more suggestions/advice.
    Stef.

Hi Stef

Yeah my first day went OK (apart from very hungry). I did the 500 cals for women – should have mentioned I’m female. Ate regularly the next day – I don’t count calories generally so just ate normal for me which is very healthy – lots of protein, veges and fruit. Then fasted again (500 cals) the next day and that’s when things went AWOL 🙁

FYI for everyone I also have an issue associated with dysautonomia – orthostatic hypotension and generally have pretty low blood pressure anyway – not sure if that may also be related.

Thanks

th

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.