Eating your 7 servings on fast day

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SAMM 10 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Recently, the news reported that eating 7 servings of fruit and veggies is better for your health than 5.

On my fast day, I decided to have nearly all my 500 calories as veggies with a smaller portion assigned to fruit.

I was astonished when I finished eating dinner, I was no longer hungry and stayed that way through the next morning.

I started the fast after dinner the previous day and consumed only water and coffee with almond milk during the day. For dinner I had a fruit smoothie with 100 g of frozen strawberries and 30 grams banana, followed by zucchini and onion soup, cooked cauliflower, cooked broccoli, and spinach salad with feta cheese and grape tomatoes.

Yum, yum! I am going to do this again on the next fast day!

I like the variety of 5:2 where nothing is forbidden. 
    7 vegetables is easy on a fast day, but that will be mostly carbs. So I still carefully choose and measure my protein on fasting days.  I typically eat about 10 red beans for lunch in a vegetable dish. and 2-3 oz of fish on fasting days, but that’s just me.  I enjoy those foods is why I choose them vs their benefits. Their benefits are significant. However if they don’t sate me and enjoy it. It’s like trying to be sated with a crunchy multi vitamin  and corn syrup.  So my final decision is one that if I put on the menu? I’ll look forward to that day. Actually looking forward to a fasting day. Over time tweaking to avoid hunger pangs an entire week while losing 1/2 pound of fat or so. I eat twice on fasting days around noon and again before five. I understand there is a benefit to this approach, but most important is it help to manage my personal hunger pangs.

I choose grilled catfish and red kidney beans, because they help with sensitivity to the full feeling. The red beans are one of the cery highest antioxiants of all foods as well. That being the case I also choose homemade soup.  Only have to add the vegetables. It occurred to me that vegetables with low  glycemic load will have less sugars in them, and I’ve guessed it narrows choices.  After studying this list I make my  soup  combinations  from this list on fast days. Sorry for its unsightliness

Vegetable (per 100 grams cooked)
                 G.I Score  Carbs g  Type
    Beet ……………63.            8  high
    Carrot………………..70   7     high
    Parsnip……………..98.   11 high
    Potato, chips ……75     37 high
    Swede ……………71     1    high

Potato, boiled……56    16,5  med
    Potato, mashed..70    16  med
    Sweet corn.   55        19  med
    Yam ……………50         32 low-med
    Potato, sweet 50.        20  low-med

Artichoke ………..15        2.   low
    Aspargus ………..14       1,5   low
    Bell Peppers…….10. 2,5   low
    Broccoli ………..10 1,5 low
    Brussels sports.16 4.   low
    Cabbage ………..10 2,5  low
    Cauliflower………….15 2,5  low
    Celery…………………15 1   low
    Green Beans …14 3,5   low
    Lettuce ave.  ………10 1,7   low
    Mushroom…………..10     0,5   low
    Onion. ……………….10.  4  low

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.