Disillusioned and Mega Obese – Dave's Online Journal – We shall See.

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Weight loss
Disillusioned and Mega Obese – Dave's Online Journal – We shall See.

This topic contains 18 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Buttonboots 9 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• On my First Fast day. Not sure how to really go about it other than use 500 calories as a guide.

This morning was the first time ever I counted calories.

I boiled an egg (80 calories) and had a cup of black tea NO sugar. (next to no calories?)

Doing it a little tough – but now sipping water … might have a few herbal teas to see my through the hours ahead.

Thinking about weighing a banana 200 grams (89 calories per 100g google says) and having a nibble on that for lunch? How does that sound?

I don’t have too much in the way of choice … I do have some avo … might search that as well.’

Anyways – Nice to meet you guys. I’m dong this because I am more than morbidly obese. I’m not into fads … been there and done that. An old gym junkie from way back. Will be good to see how’s this approach works.

I’m into the exercise pretty hard atm – with a good plan overall that I will share later … but overall, I aim to use the 5:2 – as my main staple to maintaining my weight with moderate exercise my goal.

Right now, I actually have to watch I don’t over do it with stressing my bones too much due to my obesity. I am using an elliptical but doing well with HIIT. I am also using dumbbells. I pretty much know what’s involved with all the exercise – Eating has been my downside. That combined with a few mental health issues. Somewhat rather Atypical to obesity with depression being a large part of that … but my manic side plagues me with compulsive issues. Balance being the overall issues I have never been able to obtain.

Oh yea – I came off anti-psychotics about 8 to 9 weeks ago. I was on the verge of having metabolic syndrome.

Once I make a decision, I’m usually pretty good at =sticking to it. I gave up smoking and drinking a whiles back. It took quite some effort early on, however the fact I just knew it was time to give up really helped me stick at it. For the first time in my life, I now know that my relationship with food is killing me. Both mentally and physically. So I guess today is my first active day in eating right for all the rest of my days.

Perhaps too much info for some – But – if you understand this perspective … then your more than welcome to join on in, give support or just watch me as I now embark on nailing my next mission in setting myself free from yet another negative aspect to modern living.

PS – for context I am 46 years of age (12th/Feb coming up that is) with a grandson. I’m not a bubbles and froth guy – My motivation comes from a stern approach that endorses deprivation in a world of gluttony. Purging the Toxins is not the prettiest site … so I will be grunting somewhat in these early stages.

Righto Dave … on with the fasting. 😉

Stick with it Dave, it can be challenging at times but so well worth it. You find that it’s “fun” working out different recipes and your way of eating certainly does change. You will soon realise your meal sizes are smaller and your yearning for sweet or greasy food is no longer an issue. The first couple of weeks are often the hardest, as with any change in our life, but it all becomes second nature with choices, needs and amount you consume. I suggest you work out your TDEE in the HOW section at the top of the page, also take your measurements, as these often shrink when the scales don’t drop. You will have weeks with no movement in either but then a bigish loss will soon follow. Good luck …CG

Hi Dave and welcome:

Here are some tips that might help: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Thanks for the support. Much appreciated guys. Looks like a good read. Thanks Sim.

I got to say when reading the book and I got to the part about BMI not always being a good indicator for some people. Guess what – I am one of those people. Since I started working out with the dumbbells a few weeks ago, my body composition has already started massing out. I’ve been body building for most of my younger life and although it’s like about 4 years since my last comeback/seasonal workouts, it would appear my muscles remember the routine well.

I can’t remember it all now (cognitive issues re sleep apnea and long term doses of sweroquel/quitipine) my body type being that one that bulks up quickly and can lose weight quickly if I exercise hard enough. (I usually over do that)

Just saying BMI rarely reflects my fit state when I incorporate weights in my routine. Having said that though – when I drop the weights and run 10 – 20 kms regularly, then maybe BMI might start to work for me. I am not aiming to run those distances again – not good for my compulsive side and typically leads to burn out as no off switch installed.

But thanks for the tip. Given BMI rarely works for me (usually way off actually) … I am not sure I will get a correct gauge is all.

Thanks all the same. Please do continue with advice though … Maybe BMI might work better when I have brittle bones. lol … just kidding.

Off for a very mild walk … the water is working real well. 🙂

Dave you are in the right place for support and advice. The 5:2 is brilliant for weight loss and there are many, many people who post on this forum who have lost a serious amount of weight. They are all happy to share their experiences. Just stick with it initially as it’s sometimes hard at first but I promise it gets easier with practice. You sound very self aware and anyone who can quit smoking and drinking can easily start eating properly! Good luck!

Just letting you know Country Gal I looked into the TDEE. My stats with moderate exercise has my just under 3000 cal for each non fast day.

I’m going to stick with 2400 for now and see how I go with that. It’s good to know I can break out up to 3000 as long as I keep the exercise going.

I managed to get through today pretty good. I used Google to start off with counting calories and by days end, I’m thinking I need a magnifying glass to read the labels as I was throwing an evening meal together.

I came up with the following and was quite surprised at just how filling it turned out to be. I’m feeling calorie counting is not the joke I thought it once to be. I’m also feeling for the first time in my life, I may actually be able to keep the weight off without having to flog myself to death with exercise.

My fist Calorie Count Meal 🙂
    https://flic.kr/p/qyfW8Q

About the exercise … I liked your post on how exercise can ruin a diet simcoeluv. I kind of went on a bit with my own views and hope I did not speak out of turn. I do have a habit of going on quite a bit. Perhaps I can start a restriction with word counting. hehe.

Oh well – I’m looking forward to counting calories tomorrow – Hopefully I will soon have a good idea that it wont be so much of an issue … but for now … I am actually having fun with it. I am very surprised actually at how I am taking to this.

Yet to work out my whole plan … but will post on that soon enough.

Good luck with whatever works for you. 😉

Hi Dave, just a hint and I find very helpful, you can download Myfitnesspal, it is so easy to enter your food for the day, the app works out your cals for you so no. guess work, no trying to read lables, all so so easy. Have a play with it but it is self explanitory, and really helps. I often work mine out for a couple of days ahead but especially fast days. Good luck, keep up the good work…CG

Sounds like a plan CG. TY 🙂

For now – what am I doing up in the middle of the night? … hell now its 2.20 am!

Not to worry … Hunger no doubt. If I have learned anything from insomnia or in this case waking up hungry … its to get up and not fight staying awake. The reverse of fighting sleep. So far, I just made another lemon and ginger tea with a sliver of honey … wrote some posts as you can see and now not feeling so bad. Almost ready to go to lay down.

I just had a herbal tea, but think I’m going to make myself 50 g or rice to nip this in the bud … then when I wake, I’ll judge the intensity of the exercise program that will continue for my day.

I’ll be down sizing my intake Vs exercise whilst keeping a close watch on my fatigue levels.

I think on that note … I’ll go make that rice.

WOW – well I really through myself into this like I do everything else, but thankfully I am still participating.

No way I am going to continue flogging myself with the cardio as I have been on the elliptical. I have swapped that out for walking now. I was actually get stressed bones on the elliptical regardless of the lowest setting. For me, I just seem to pump faster to make up the difference no matter what setting I used. My usual comeback technique would indeed endanger the 5:2 diet as suggest elsewhere within this forum.

Alas – I am all for burning calories and losing weight through walking. Fortunately there is just as much encouraging news about walking and weight loss as there is negative reviews. I’ve got a Kindle book I can dig up somewhere as well, although I don’t aim to be throwing my arms all over the place just yet. If I ever get to that stage, I think I would prefer a light shuffle with a little more grace. I have had a few walks now. Some meditative and others quite vigorous. They do not leave me burnt out as my other workouts tend to do, which means I can get more done around the place, which in turn leads to less stress. I had no Idea that the chemical reaction of stress can be built up as fat as well. I found that really interesting on one of the podcasts I was listening too.

Anyways – I recovered well from my fast day … Might have a go now at making a list of days so I know what is coming. I am sticking with my dumbbells … building muscle works for me and I seem to do that easily without much effort at all. Of course it takes effort, but it’s just something that comes naturally without taxing me too much – it’s always just been the way I flog myself with carido too soon and for too long.

So now I have finally let that sink in – I really need to get myself some batteries and or a new scale. I downloaded that up CG recommended and I think its great … but I kind of still need scales. I also think I might actually be able to do things quicker with a calculator and reading off the back of packets too … the app is good for info I cant find. To be honest though ………. whilst tracking my food is essential as I am just a newbie at this whole deficit approach … once I understand and it is sinking in -> the deficit approach … I think from with regards to compulsion … I will do much better to simply be aware of my portions sized after having educated my so with the arduous task that I am finding the calorie counting to be.

LOL – did not take long to go from excited to Pffft … this is taking way too long and is adding stress! to my day … Yep – but I guess not knowing what is what at this stage, I do need to do the work – Do The Work Dave -> bit like someone bitching about exercise does not help me lose weight. hehe.

Of course that is not what they mean – just as I feel like saying #$@! calorie counting! … Sigh …

Must get those batteries and or new scales!!!!!!!!! DO IT DAVE!

Regardless … I am estimating from what is on the back of the pack – Just had a third of a cup of oats with a banana and about 15 g of raisins this morning.

I’m doing well! Felling better despite the grand entrance with a fast day. Tomorrow Is my last normal day then begins my second fast day. best do that chart now.

m T “w” T f “s” S

“” = Fast Days
    Capitals = Weight Resistance [Dumbbell – full body composite] – recovery walks/by feel

Other days walks with HIIT incorporated. (good days to burn with deficit solely in mind – see how I “‘ feel”.) *Note I only see two days for that – so will play with one of the three weight training days to inject another good calorie deficit in one of those pending how I feel. Trick is not to fill up on my feast days. LOL – Bad name going by the deficit theory. For Sure! – shave with the INPUT as well as burning the number. Double Whammy – a fine tune to play no doubt.

Fast Days double as Rest days!

Other rest days can be Incorporated with reduced intensity on any given day. Weight days are fairly good days to get things out of the way thus reducing stress and adding to contentment in reduced clutter both in and out of the head!

Righto – will fine tune as I go.

Go get em!

Still twitching. 😉

From what I can gather, not many blokes speak up so publicly about this kind of thing. I think this shall be a lonely affair in here for me. On that note, I’ll be keeping most of my updates, where I am better understood.

In the mean time good luck.

I’ll come back when I have something of more value to offer in the way of mile stones.

😉

Dave there are a couple of great blokes on Jojo’s 2lb a week thread, Rouge Trader and SAMM (SAMM has internet issues til early Jan, but he has already lost over 50 pounds and more to go this year) Many of the ladies on there also lost significant weight, so if it’s support you want, come on over! You will need to bring your sense of humour though!

I just wanted to say welcome and encourage you to go easy on yourself at the beginning. If you can “just” do two days of fasting with 600 calories and get used to that, all the other goals you have can come later.

You might want to test out a few different time periods for your fast. Some people do all of one day, while others break it up into a 24-hour period over the course of two days. For instance, I had an early dinner last night and started my fast at 5:30 p.m., and I will end it at 5:30 p.m. tonight. I find that it’s easier for me to keep going knowing there’s a good meal at the end of the day.

I also find it easiest to think as little as possible about food on my fast days. The first time I experience real “gosh I need to eat” hunger, I have a cracker with peanut butter – just one small square, and that keeps me going for another couple hours, at which point I’ll have a can of Campbell’s chicken noodle soup or some other pre-measured item that fills me up. A little fruit or veggies later, and then the fast ends and I have a nice dinner.

Best of luck to you, and hang in there!

WOW 50lbs hey – that’s great! Well done to that. I hear ya on the sense of humor. I tend to get a bit rutted but the good news is, since I made the decisions about 10 weeks ago to go healthy, my outlook is slowly on the up and up as my weight slowly drops. Thanks for the steer. Much appreciated – I popped over to another forum for support there. I suffer from bad case of social phobia and have found those guys quite supportive in that area. I’ll pop on over to say hi as you suggest when settled in here. 🙂 Thank You Nama.

Hello and thanks for the welcome “FastingInMyForties”
    What a great tip about starting your fast at after your last evening meal. I get what your saying about the psychology. Today is my second day of fasting and indeed, it helps to think just as you say – I mean Not think about food that is. I researched a little online about preparing and how to easy through a fast and got some good results. I did start off with a bang and got the headaches and all a lot of other side – effects, but since eating clean and just under my daily amount since for the following three days after that … this fasting day has been a lot easier. I still have 400 cal available to me for tonight. 🙂

I’m just guessing at this stage and from last experience, I think leaving the bulk of my cals for the evening on a fast day may see me through … as too the more longer I am able continue the 5:2 approach.

I started my second fast with a boiled in for breakfast – then later a carrot for a snack – a cup of continental spring veg for lunch – and a warm lemon juice and water this afternoon.

I’m still learning about the nutrition side of things as to what to avoid. I think I read is best to keep the calories more protein on fast days? I might of even read somewhere else that some people carb up the night before. Not sure about that … none the less, my next step to counting cals is more on nutrition. At this point I’m just a newbie using the 5:2 approach as a base. So much conflicting information our there about diet and exercise. Sigh………. Hard to sift through at times and also discouraging. So many FIT looking people who say one thing about one program, then you find out the other person saying similar about their approach.

Just going to have to learn myself – because then there are many of us unfit people who just bag out any approach thinking we know better … but lol when looking in the mirror on that score.

The family are already calling me names like Anna – short for anorexia. hehehe –

I was 110kg when I started and now down to 103kg. I listed 110 here when I joined but only weight myself today. It’s taken me 10 weeks … but not on this program. Just giving up the meds I was on and slowly moving was all … I picked up the pace about a month into it. Now I am doing this program … I’ve back up to walking and just weights. The clean eating feels GOOD and my skin is much better.

Sorry to ramble …

Mile stone – hmmm – TODAY I bought some weight watcher scales and also a set of Nutritional scales from Target here in Australia. That really got the family comming up with all kinds of names … but I had a good laugh when I got off the scales 7kg lighter. They can see the difference, but not so willing to admit to me. I’m sure I am not the only one that goes through such niggling from others watching others take control of their weight. In fact my daughter is calling me less names and now wants to use my scales and claims she wants to do my diet. It’s hard to explain to them that it’s not a diet, nor about starving myself.

It surely is an education though! I don’t intend on counting cals for the rest of my life – but I am very interested in learning more about food – finding out how to set my own menus for what even level of activity.

So 7kg down for now – and now really motivated to give my all to the 5:2 for at least the next 3 months. Hopefully I will have my own little data base worked out for my needs and more able to go through the motions without much thought on the schooling side of things. For now though … my fasting days seem a good time to read up on it all.

Thanks for the motivation. 😉

Tonight I am going to do your recommendation –

I’ll finish eating by 5 – pm today and fast until 5 -pm tomorrow.

I kind of blew out with not counting calories … I just have too much going on. I’m keen to use my scales on the fast days … but simply doing to much exercise and other things and finding the fuss over counting calories is making me want to ditch the whole 5:2.

I agree … I like your method very much and keep the fasting up and making it easier with splitting across two day.

That’s my ticket for the next few weeks at least.

The weight is dropping – but I am building up a lot of strength which requires me to actually eat more than I have been. The two fast days are good for my rest days though. Very much so. I’ll see how I go doing that … just for now. Not meaning to make excuses to eat more … but right now … I like the exercise too.

Although very sore … so hopefully my fast tomorrow will see me rest up well and also have some repair take place.

Adios.

DaveDaveDave, don’t ditch! Be easy on yourself. Think baby steps. Do what you can, ease into it gently, be prepared for ups and downs. There is amazing support on these threads, so post your frustrations, others have met with them too and will be happy to cheer you on.

B

It might not be a bad thing to ease up on the exercise for a little, too, til the fasting becomes second nature. You say yourself – “too much exercise”, and this might be putting too much pressure on you, physically and mentally.

B

Hi Barata, Nice to meet you and thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated.

FastingInMyForties – Tip, has helped me to keep things in check actually. At first I kind of thought to myself “Nar … that’s cheating … but clearly not … I can see the context in that method actually being one that does indeed take it easy with regard to jumping on in too fast.

As for the exercise … well … I’m naturally up and down … hmmm, perhaps not naturally … but simply been that way most of my life since having the privilege of gracing this wondrous world. Sigh … pfft.

WOW – that’s motivation for you hey. Once I get moving, I find it hard to stop. Thankfully so far so good. The strapping on my left foot is holding up well. The new shoes are also doing a great job. I picked up a couple of pairs of synthetic longs for under my shorts to assist in easing the friction rash between my legs. Basically I think I have those burn out triggers under wraps.

Biggest Issue with hitting the pavement is make or break cycle of above issues is going beyond the anaerobic leg where lactic acid build up no longer leaves one feeling cramped up and sore. This is where I believe my fast days will really help me. First of all, everywhere I read about rest days when exercising is not to eat much on those days … so the 5:2 sounds like something worth keeping in mind just for that alone.

With regards to my exercise at all … I think Nutrition is the big key that will help my win that race too. This is why on my non fast days, I now seek yo concentrate more on the type of fuel I put in my system as apposed to solely counting calories based on numbers over energy type. Hence … only looking into using my scales on fast days. (I can see how that builds a good habit for the rest of days … but more so for portion control that’s based more on body awareness)

Stretching is something I need to do more of to help rid the build up of toxins in my blood stream. As well as age, I have been hospitalized for kidney complications due to not resting enough and pushing myself too hard … (re – my instability and or self mutilating ways – if its not comfort food – then it’s torture time. lol – but yea … a problem for some)

WHY SO > ? ……… Probably not the place to ramble on about such things …

Therefore —- WHERE AM I NOW?

I am 100kg Where I was 110kg – only 170cm Male. BMI was 38.06 but now 34.6

My BMI is still obese but its coming down nicely at the moment. BMI – not a good indicator once I am lean at anyrate. If I follow that, I will end up back in hospital with near renal failure.

Initially – it was how I felt that has led me back down the path of exercise, and exercise is all I really know … I do know some basics on nutrition, therefore, can actually say … I think the main reason I am sticking the 5:2 out … is to give those rest days a new lease of life with the fasting.

Once the weight is significantly reduced that I feel more comfortable – then I will reduce my exercise and if … and that’s a big if … hopefully the 2 days of fasting works out well for me, that I may very well end up exercising less and fasting 3 days out of the week.

Early days yet. For now, I am hyper aware of nursing all my week points whilst doing my exercises routines, getting in plenty of sleep – preparing things ahead to make things as stress free as possible – I am using self hypnosis for my recoveries and also for motivation – I have purchases the basic tools to assist where possible – and I now have my fast days to keep me under control …

In fact my research thus far … has me prepping for a fast day before it comes … so I have to keep the exercise in check at any-rate.

None the less I will constantly appear to contradict myself as I will just go with what my body think … and it has a habit of changing my mind. That is when I listening to the body and stop following my head.

TODAY – Went for a swim in the ocean and it really helped to limber me up from the cramps I was sporting before hitting the sand. I still have stiff ankles – but – I can already tell, that tomorrows workout routine is going to be sweet!

I can now feel my metabolism keep kicking long after the work outs and even a little now as I sit and rest. The water sipping works well, but I also love having herbal teas. The cup of soups are nice, but can add up quick and perhaps more sodium than is really helpful … but right now … I’m feeling pretty good.

😉

Still kicking and now It’s Breaky time !!!! 🙂

Going for a swim today. (really helped with my exercise cramps yesterday) – Had a good walk/trot session this morning as well.

Hi Dave…just come across this thread (iffy health stopped me posting for a while over Christmas)

I just wanted to say I think you’re doing great!

I am another who fell into the mega obese category…5 ft 4 (on tippytoes!) female …originally weighed around 22 stone (hard to say exactly what my weight was…too heavy for my own scales and I refused to believe the lying scales at Boots – which told me around the 22 stone mark!!!)…I lost weight by calorie counting then hit a plateau…tried 5:2 lost a little more and hit another plateau…gave everything up and ate for England for a week or two!…and then went back – seriously and determinedly onto 5:2 last summer….weighed in at 14 stone 4 and 1/2 ….and am now down to around about 16 stone 6….a long way to go yet!

Disability means I cannot exercise….but I am still managing slow but steady losses….this way-of-eating really does work!….You are doing fantastically with your exercising!

Keep it up….you CAN do this and you WILL!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply.