Disappointed, latest episode Trust me I'm a Doctor

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body Science of intermittent fasting
Disappointed, latest episode Trust me I'm a Doctor

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bronx 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Episode 4, season 5
    6 week test of various methods to lose visceral fat. Winner was calorie restriction (portion control), no surprise since it was a short trial. Other methods were drinking milk, sit ups or general increase in exercise levels.
    What was disappointing is that occasional viewers of the program, who likely don’t know about intermittent fasting, will have the “traditional” calorie reduction diet (with resultant rebound in weight gain, etc, happen as their metabolism sloes down) reinforced as the best method of weight loss/battle of the bulge.
    Probably too much to ask regarding a tv show, but a short “Segway” advising/cautioning watchers considering dieting that simple portion control diets have poor long term track records, or better yet a link to his documentary on fasting, or various websites that provide info should that be considered a conflict of interest.
    Anyhow, my 2 cents for today.

Being in the USA, I haven’t seen Trust Me I’m a Doctor. However, I just want to write to agree that calorie restricted diets have been proven to fail long term in 90+% of people who do them. The vast majority of people on them will eventually gain all the weight back and more, putting them in a worse position than if they never went on the diet in the first place.

I don’t have statistics for long term success with intermittent fasting, but am willing to bet it’s far better than calorie restricted diets if the person doing the IF changes their way or eating and stays on it for the rest of their lives.

Bronx

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply.