Diabetes

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MsInformation 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I am Type 1 Diabetic and have quite good control of my bm. The FAQs says that this regime is unsuitable for insulin dependant diabetics but I am wondering if any one here is diabetic and how they have found the fast days?
    I know I will have to adjust my basal insulin the night before a fast day but if I stick to excercising on non fast days I feel I should be ok. Any advice would be gratefully received. x

My mom and dad are type 2 diabetics, and I am very interested to know if they can do this plan!

I believe this plan is great for Type 2 Diabetics. If your parents can lose weight, they may be able to reduce the insulin or metformin they take to manage the blood sugars.

I’m a 27 year old type I diabetic. I’ve had diabetes since I was 11 and have good control. I’ve been doing the fast diet for a month now even though I read the book and it said it wasn’t recommended for us. I, personally, have found managing my diabetes and the fast diet to be compatible. Will be discussing with my endocrinologist next month, and in preparation for that, have kept a detailed log of my glucose readings and insulin dosages on fast days.
    I find that I can keep my basal insulin rate the same as a normal day but I check my blood sugar more frequently throughout a fasting day than I normally would to stay on the safe side. I do not exercise on fast days (I can’t deal with the thought of rigorous exercise and no food in the same day and it would probably cause my blood sugars to plummet). I prefer to fast by having very little to no calories all day and then eating the majority of my allotted 500 calories at dinner.
    I do carb counting, using short acting insulin for my carbohydrate intake (1:6 on a normal day). On fast days I do the same thing but take only half as much insulin as on a non-fast day. For instance: If I eat something that has 24carbs I would normally take 4units of short acting insulin. On a fast day I’d only take 2 units. This has been working for me so far and so far I’ve lost 5lbs. Please know that this is whats working for me, I know my body, and I know how “my” diabetes works with it but every diabetic is different. It may take trial and error to figure out what works for you. Be cautious, talk to your doctor, and if you have a low, chalk up that fast day as a lost one and try again another day. Safety is the most important thing here. That being said, I’m quite pleased with the 5:2 so far.

Thank you MsInformation for your welcome information. Today is my second fast day and I’m managing much better today thanks to your advice. I only have night time hypos and had a really bad one on the night of my first fast day. Today I’ve paced myself and aim to eat most of my food before bed time. Thanks again x

Hi all, regards to a cure for diabetes, there is one. My husband had diabetes 2 but is now free of it. He came of all bread, rice, pasta, fruit and bread as they are the worst things to eat if you are diabete. He eat as little as possible carbs as he could, probably around 25 carbs a day and only around 1000 kcal a day. He had no sweets or chips or chocolate or fruit. Anything that had to much carbs in also has to much sugar in it, which is why he came of all the things like pasta rice potatoes bread fruit and sweets. It took him 3 month to be free of diabetes and lost 2.5 stones. He has now been free of diabetes for whole 1 year.So as you can see there is a cure if you got will power.

Hi to all on this thread concerned with diabetes 2. If you are interested please click on “ACTIVE TOPICS” at the top of the page. Scroll down to “Reversing type 2 Diabetes and the 5:2 lifestyle” and read through the very many excellent comments made by posters over the past year or so. There is a wealth of information and research that will literally take your breath away. In addition can I suggest you also research “The Newcastle Diet” which has made a significant impact on the reversal of Type 2 Diabetes.
    Good luck to you all.

Excuse me, Pia, but there is no “cure” for type one diabetes, which was the type under discussion at the beginning of this thread. Having willpower or not has nothing to do with “curing” type 1. While careful monitoring of carbohydrate intake is crucial to type 1 diabetes maintenance it will not cure us of our diabetes. A low carb diet won’t change the fact that our pancreases no longer produce insulin. Type 2 diabetes can often be reversed or significantly ameliorated by changes to diet or exercise because type 2’s most likely causes are excess weight and inactivity in the first place. These two things cause the body to become resistant to the insulin it produces or leads the pancreas to produce less insulin than is needed to manage incoming glucose. For most people with type 1 diabetes, the body’s own immune system — which normally fights harmful bacteria and viruses — mistakenly destroys the insulin-producing (islet) cells in the pancreas. Please be clear that these are different situations. Research for a true cure to type one diabetes is still underway.

Hi Msinformation, firstly before you bit somebody’s head of you should read what they write. I never said a cure for diabetes 1 as I already know there is not one as yet, but For diabetes 2 which my husband did have. Also one other thing his dr did say that he should start to have insulin which mean he would be getting near to type 1. So yes there is a cure for diabetes 2 (type 2). And who knows maybe he did just get cure from diabetes before he got type 1. And I still say that bread, rice, pasta and potatoes are bad for any diabetes as they are so high in bad sugar.

Oh my Pia — just because diabetes is treated with insulin, it does not mean that it is classified as Type 1. Your husband was about to have his Type 2 diabetes treated with insulin. It is great that he is able to control his Type 2 diabetes with the results from the Fast Diet. Remember that he will always have Type 2 diabetes. Right now, it is treated with diet to the point that it seems to have gone away. If he gains the weight back or starts consuming large amounts of carbs, the blood sugar may rise and the treatment may change. Hopefully, he can maintain the status quo with his diet – eating few carbs.

Type 1 Diabetes is quite different from Type 2 Diabetes in its origins. It is hard to remember that and mostly those involved with Type 1 are the ones who notice these things.

Misinformation – this thread started as Type 1, but evolved to include both. That is the way threads go sometimes — conversation goes off topic.

Hi Amy, yes it is true what you say I just got so mad when somebody cant read first before they write. My husband does know that it could come back and does keep an eye on his blood count everyday. Upto now he has not gained any weight but stayed the same for over a year now and I think he will stay alright for rest for his life as his will power is so strong.

Pia, I did not mean to sound like I was biting off your head. I just wanted to be clear that that there are two different types of diabetes, and for all of us out there hoping for a cure to type 1, it simply isn’t available yet. I did read your post over carefully and did see that your husband is a type 2. Since the original topic was type 1, your post came across sounding as though some of us (type 1s) simply needed some will power where no amount of mere will power could possibly cure type 1, I wish it could. Certainly threads do change and evolve and might have contributed to the confusion.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.