Can't Access Full Fat Diet Article by Michael

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Body General health
Can't Access Full Fat Diet Article by Michael

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  eatplants 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• I can’t access this article! When I go into the article, it says I have to be a subscriber! (I live in the U.S.)

Is there any way I can read the article? I don’t want to subscribe. Thanks.

Never mind! I just found an awesome article on Mailonline about Dr. Mosley talking about fat. I think it came out yesterday. Please put the title on your home page for all to share.

Yipee! I’m vegan, but on my feast days, hello olive oil, healthy margarines, avocados and olives and coconut. Yipee! So glad fat is no longer demonized.

Thank you Dr. Mosley.

Hi:

This gives some research results on the necessity for quite a bit of fat in the diet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y

It is interesting that carbs (including veggies and fruit) are unnecessary for human health or survival: http://irosacea.org/articles.html/_/rosacea-articles/triggers/rosacea-and-sugar/carbohydrate-not-essential-for-human-survival-r21

Yes, I’m totally convinced fats are necessary.

For me personally, I need carbs (healthy unrefined carbs like fruits, veggies, whole grains) to feel well. I never did well on low carb. But trying to keep my fats down, boy have I missed my fats! It is so true. They are very satiating, and I believe I actually ate less when I had some good healthy fats. So I’m going back to that now.

What a great article from Dr. Mosley.

eatplants:

“For me personally, I need carbs (healthy unrefined carbs like fruits, veggies, whole grains) to feel well. I never did well on low carb.”

I’m curious. Were you trying to do low carb and low fat at the same time?

Oh, sorry I should have been more clear.

I’ve been on every diet known to man in my lifetime.

I’ve done low carb – really tried hard and stayed too long on it. I just didn’t feel well. And low carb vegan is extremely limited in food choices.

Now I’m coming off a very low fat way of eating. If you’ve heard of the Mcdougall Plan or Forks Over Knives – plant based but with no added fats and teeny amounts of nuts, olives, etc. I was hungry all the time.

Now to further confuse you, I’m doing two consecutive days of fasting on 5:2, eating low calorie AND low carb for only two days, as fasting researcher Dr. Mark Mattson says it will burn fat more and lower insulin levels.

But the other five days! It will be so nice to eat normally again and have my olive oil and coconut and avocado (not all at the same time)….

eatplants:

Well, I guess I don’t know what your goal is.

If it is to lose weight, then 5:2 is where you should start – without consecutive diet days. You get the same weight loss results as consecutive days without the ‘pain’ – especially if you are just starting out.

There is no research indicating two consecutive diet days are better than only one at a time if you are interested in anything other than weight loss. Current research is that to get real ‘other’ benefits from fasting you need to go quite a few consecutive days without any food. Dr. Longo (from the BBC program that popularized 5:2) seems to think five consecutive days are a minimum, about once a month, for several months. He is developing low calorie, high nutrition foods to help a person actually do this. We will see if he succeeds.

Your insulin levels will fall when you eat high fat/protein meals on any day, and especially on diet days. This is good if you are trying to cure diabetes, but helpful in general. However, you can do that without consecutive diet days – two days a week is two days a week, wherever they come.

Here are some tips for those just starting 5:2: http://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/warnings-to-newbies/

Good Luck!

It is my understanding that the only study on humans using 5:2 has been the Harvie study, using two consecutive days. This is the model Mosley used in his book. Of course he tweaked it to suit his needs, which is great.

If you know of any human studies using 5:2 done on on non-consecutive days, I would sure like to read them. I’ve googled and haven’t found them. It is my understanding from listening to a radio interview, that Dr. Mark Mattson will be doing a 5:2 study this year using two consecutive days. Unfortunately, I can’t find anything else on the subject.

I know so many people are successful using non-consec days, but I’m doing two in a row. I think that’s a better fit for me. However we do it, I think 5:2 is just plain brilliant.

Sim, here is a link with Mark Mattson talking about the studies that were already done (not the one he’s doing this year).

I can’t remember if he mentions the two consecutive days, but in the study paper I have, it is definitely two consecutive days – the Harvie study that he is referring to.

http://www.nutritionaction.com/daily/diet-and-weight-loss/are-there-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting/

eatplants:

I understand, but there was nothing ‘magical’ in the two consecutive days. It was just how they configured the study (it sounds like you have it, but here it is for those that are reading this and do not: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/).

Here is Mattson in a 2014 speech explaining his research in a very short format: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UkZAwKoCP8 In it he advises just to ‘play around’ with IF, advocating no particular pattern of diet days.

One thing you have to remember is that Mattson’s animal research has been with rats/mice and if they don’t eat for 2 days, its like humans not eating for a week or more. The Harvie study was simply to see if they could lose weight, and the conclusion was that if they ate less on two consecutive days and ate a specific diet on the others, they could. There are lots and lots of people on this site alone who can confirm 5:2 works just fine for weight loss even if they diet on two non consecutive days.

You can do what works for you, but for most people, non consecutive is the way to go, especially at the start. You will not experience better/faster weight loss doing two in a row – there is no clinical study that I know of that even suggests that as a possibility.

Good Luck!

Thanks Sim. It’s my understanding that the two consecutive days lowered insulin and promoted fat burning better than just reducing calories every single day. Whether the same is true with any two days a week is anyone’s guess, since no human study has been done on that, but with so many people losing weight doing it that way (any two days), it would be great if actual human studies could be done on Mosley’s version of 5:2.

Yeah, I saw that youtube one with Dr. Mattson. Interesting, his remark, considering he is undertaking a study with two consecutive days of fasting and eating normally the remainder of the week. I believe that remark was in answer to the lady who was clueless about fasting and kept asking him questions.

Well, here’s to future weight loss! Day 1 went great. Today is day 2. Thanks for all your helpful information.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply.