Anxiety and fasting

This topic contains 1 reply, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Jenny319B 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Has anyone experience of fasting having a positive effect on anxiety? I’ve had significant anxiety all my life. Medication helps a lot, but the last year it has definitely been getting worse, to the point that I thought I would need to up my meds. I’ve been fasting since August, when I also drastically cut my alcohol consumption. I also started running in September, though currently off that due to a stupid injury. Since about September my anxiety has been markedly improved – I can go out on my own and do things that I couldn’t before. I know that it is probably a combination of things that have helped, and that cutting alcohol and exercise are probably quite significant. But I am just curious what, if any, contribution fasting might have. I have to say that fasting generally makes me feel really well and positive, but I just wonder if anyone else has experience of a seemingly significant impact on anxiety?

Dont do fasting if you fill anxiety.

Well clearly I’m not as I have said my anxiety has improved. Why would you imagine that a diagnosis of anxiety would preclude someone from fasting?

Fasting has many advantages for individuals living with psychological disorders such as mild degrees of depression, anxiety, and insomnia. Fasting, and the spiritual and social practices that accompany it enable these individuals to withstand and cope with life’s worries and woes and, as a result, reach a state of tranquillity.

Hi Batfink, I hope you have a professional health person to talk it over with.

I had anxieties around food and hunger and 5:2 has helped me with them because I find it easy and sustainable.

Thanks. As I say, I think it might be a combination of things that is working for me, but just curious as to what the contribution of fasting might be to this. Strangely I really enjoy fasting and I think feel better for it. So generally all is good.

Sorry Batfink, I rewrote my post after reading what you wrote more carefully.
    Good luck with it all.

Some scientists believe that tryptophan has a positive effect on stress, because this amino acid helps the brain to produce substances of good mood

Fasting interventions have shown effectiveness in alleviating stress, anxiety and depressive symptoms.

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the effect of fasting on anxiety may vary from person to person. Some people may find that fasting helps to reduce their anxiety levels, while others may find that it makes their anxiety worse. If you are considering fasting as a way to manage your anxiety, it is important to speak to a healthcare professional first to ensure that it is safe for you.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply.