Amazing and Awesome Actionable ( AAA) April

This topic contains 317 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  AT 12 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 319 total)

• Hi Everyone
    After Make March Mine we are triple rating ourselves into April.
    5:2 is a sustainable Way of Life/Eating and on this forum wee make ourselves accountable and get solid support from others on the same journey.
    Everyone is welcome to join us.

On this forum we realise that it can be difficult to change a lifetime’s habits of eating . Food companies spend tens of millions of $$ to entice us to eat by combining sugar, fat, salt to tempt us with ‘ cravebility’ and addiction . And food is everywhere. But for better health and to lose some weight and keep it off this forum offers support and ideas to help with making 5:2 WOL/E ( way of life/ eating ) sustainable.
    We’re here with a simple monthly challenge to start doing things differently from here on.
    It’s simple: 5 days of eating normally* and 2 days of fasting each week. Other than that, we set our own goals, holding ourselves accountable and encouraging one another.
    It’s helpful to hear of others’ journey with 5:2; there are lots of good ideas and encouragement and often someone else is experiencing the same triumphs/ difficulties which can be reassuring.
    So here we are on our road to better health and weight control.
    Let’s be Absolutely Awesome and Amazing as we act aptly in April being active and achieving astounding …..artcomes ???
    *normal eating = the calories our body needs – see TDEE

Below is how we basically run the forum with some terminology/ abbreviations which we use.

The monthly challenges were started by @coda in May 2016 and have been going strong ever since. It works like this:

1. Introductions – in your first post please introduce yourself to the group. It helps us all get to know each other and is really helpful for new people getting to know regulars. Perhaps say something about where you started, your journey so far, what you’re aiming for or what differences fasting is making. You might like to include your starting weight or your goals for the month – whatever you are comfortable sharing.

2. Spreadsheet – I’m hoping that @at will kindly post this month’s spreadsheet in a post below! The spreadsheet is in alphabetical order by username. You can use it to record and track your progress as well as keeping track of how others are doing.It can help with perspective, accountability or planning. Keeping track can help us to measure progress, spot patterns, remind ourselves how far we’ve come. You can use the spreadsheet, the forum’s tracker, your favourite app, pen & paper or whatever works for you!

3. Posting – Please start each entry with the day of the month, where you are, and what type of day you are on – fast day (FD), non-fast day (NFD) or controlled day (CD). We’re all over the world and in different time zones so it helps us keep track of which day we’re talking about, who else is fasting etc. Eg I’ll start on 1 January with Day 1 – UK – NFD

4. Frequency – Some people post daily, others only check in on FDs, others from time to time. Some are short & to the point, others long and chatty. If you‘re posting for a second time in the same day please head your post eg Day 1 second post.

5. Content – Comments or questions, complaints or celebration – post anything you’d like to share with the forum. Recipes, tips, tricks and bright ideas are always welcome. We all have good days and bad days, days we fall off the wagon or have days when we are hanging on by our fingernails, days when our mojo deserts us and days where we feel completely in control. DON’T GIVE UP: whatever it is, you are not alone!

6. Community – This is a worldwide forum so there’s usually someone online. We all do our best to offer advice, support and solidarity.

7. Pocket list – a list of the names of people with the same goal on a particular day. It can help to remind us we’re not alone by mentally holding the list in our back pocket. Anyone can start or join a pocket list. Most pocket lists are for a FD but they can also be used for people doing Veganuary, going alcohol free, on a daily plank challenge. If solidarity and company can make a difference, we’ll put it on a pocket list!

8. 5:2 basics – answers to many FAQs plus top tips:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

9. New? – please read #8 again

10. Hosting – As the host of the Focused February challenge I’ll start us off, read every post and try to respond once a day but the eagle eyed will have seen I’ve literally copied & pasted @michelime s intro but I do this on my phone and long posts are a challenge in themselves But luckily this is a friendly and encouraging international community so don’t be surprised if you get lots of answers. Please feel free to answer questions, share ideas and encourage others too!

Common Abbreviations

5:2 – 5 days NFD – 2 days FD
    16:8 – 16 hours fast – 8 hours non fast
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    ADF – Alternate Day Fasting (FD – NFD – FD – etc)
    AF – Alcohol-free
    B2B – Back to Back (consecutive FDs)
    BMR – Basal metabolic Rate
    CFD – Controlled Food Day (a day’s eating comfortably below your TDEE)
    DH, DD, DS – Darling Husband, Daughter, Son
    DTF – Dry ’til Fri
    EE – Emotional Eating (reflex grazing out of a need for instant comfort instead of satisfying hunger)
    EFS – Epic Face Stuffing (Definitely due to a faulty OFF button!)
    FD – Fast Day (500 cals)
    FD800 – Fast Day 800 calories
    Hunger Dragon – that dreadful psychological beast that sometimes cannot be satisfied. Some people even name theirs (e.g. @i-hate-lettuce has an inner warthog!)
    IF – Intermittent Fasting
    Keto – way of eating that generates Ketones
    KISS – Keep It Simple Stupid!!!
    LC – Low Carb way of eating
    LCHF – Low Carb High Fat way of eating
    LFD – Liquid Fast Day (incl. tea, coffee, miso, bone broth & water)
    LOL – Laughing Out Loud
    M/WOAM – Man/Woman on a Mission (courtesy of @i-hate-lettuce)
    MFD – Modified Fast Day (800 cals) on the new Fast800, it’s a FD
    MFP – MyFitnessPal – a smartphone app & website that tracks diet & exercise.
    NFD – Non Fast Day
    OH – Other Half (eg spouse/partner)
    OMAD – One Meal A Day
    PFDS – Post FD Smugness (courtesy of @penz)
    Pocket List – Names to “keep in your pocket” for a common goal for the day
    TDEE – Total Daily Energy Expenditure (see the ‘how it works’ link on the home page to work out yours)
    TRE – Time Restricted Eating
    WFD – Water Fast Day (Water only)
    WFH – Working From Home
    WOL – Way of Life
    WOCA – Woman Of a Certain Age
    ZBC – Zero Breakfast Club

@lilymartin – I will try to be better in April than I was in March. 🙁 Thanks for taking on this month!

@lilymartin – After a successful “Make March Mine Challenge” I’m definitely in for your “Amazing and Awesome Actionable ( AAA) April Challenge” and below is the spreadsheet link for anyone who finds it a useful tool to motivate and help keep themselves on target 🎯

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N5PSAZ5JCwclTdALGEn8mlPj44Qxzvwx-QZ4JGDWjSU/edit?usp=sharing

Day 0 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

Count me in for AAA April please @lilymartin. Thanks again for keeping the Challenges going; & thank you @at for the spreadsheet 🎯

@lilymartin Thank you so much for hosting another month and thanks to @at for providing the spreadsheet again, I’d love to join again!

Day 0, Northern VA-CFD
    Checking in as I do from time to time. Thanks to @lilymartin for hosting again. Had a fast day yesterday and will have controlled eating today. Past month was very busy and stressful, so hope to have more consistency this month. I have followed along with many members’ stories, and see so many are juggling health and family issues, yet still trying to follow a healthy WOL. Best wishes to all of you! Here we go again on a monthly challenge!

Day 0 – USA/GA

Count me in for April. I’ll continue to struggle with the “new normal” as I did in March, but I know my dad was proud of my losing weight and keeping it off, and I want to continue this WOL.

I reached 212 last month. I’ll set my April goal for 211 this month.

USA.

Thank you, Lilymartin, for ushering us through April. Count me in!

Day 1 NFD AUCKLAND 89kg / 196.2lb

1.3kg / 3lbs down to below those glass ceilings of 90kg and 200lb. Yeah!
    But there is good news AND bad news…
    I measured myself to check my height (rather badly) and have come to the conclusion that I am 2 1/2” shorter than I was in my gorgeous youth (5’9 1/2” to 5’7”)… which of course puts my BMI up and drops my goal weight if I ever hit it… I have picked 70kg/ 154lbs as an arbitrary number.

April is my birthday day month. I turn 65 on the 17th and get to collect the pension. Yeah!! And I feel young and free especially bicycling around with Macintosh.

Congratulations to everyone. And thank you. It’s so helpful having likeminded people around with no $$$ tarnishing the group dynamics. I recall once going to Jenny Craig for a short stint (awful tasting industrialised food) and writing out my weekly cheque to “Jenny Craig’s Island” to the annoyance of the staff. I have never understood the motivation behind making excessive amounts of💰from helping people with problems of one kind or another.
    Onward and downward!

Day 1 Melbourne, Australia NFD

Thank you @lilymartin for guiding us through last month and continuing with this month. I am going to try to make this a more Active April as well. I am basically lazy and need to do more exercise to help keep healthy.

I am a LOACA. I have lost weight in the past, but it gradually found me again. Being post-menopausal makes losing weight much more difficult than in the past (it has never been easy) but I want to stay healthy and active for the rest of my life. I joined the challenges in October at a weight of 80kg (I think that was what it was). I am now down to just under 75kg. Last month my weight was jumping up and down from 74 to 76kg. I would like to get to 74kg, which is a healthy weight for me. My secret wish is to get down to 70kg which is the top of the healthy BMI range for my height. But there is a lot of evidence that being a bit heavier is healthier at my age. And if I lose too much weight the wrinkles show more.

My LFD on Thursday went to blazes so my weight yesterday morning was up. But yesterday my sister was back at my place, so I was restrained in my eating even though it was not a FD. I am starting the month with a weight under 75kg which I am happy with. My sister is also trying to keep an eye on her weight so her staying with me while she looks for a new house helps us both.

I am off to school today so need to get going. Have great weekend.

Day 1 country west Australia NFD 83.7 kgs 184.14 kgs
    I have posted rather late on Day 31 Make March Mine too…
    Welcome to everyone. Let’s have an AMAZING April. You only live once so we may as well!!😊
    Goal for April is to get to 82 kgs. A pretty modest goal but I am SO motivated since joining this forum again and getting my eating patterns back on track that I am happy with any sustained and sustainable weight loss.
    That is what I like about 5:2 – that it IS doable and it IS sustainable despite life happening whilst we decide what and how much we eat 🤔
    Started this WOL in late 2016. Got down to 70.5 kgs 155.1 lbs. Reached a plateau in 2017 where I stayed for 3 MONTHS!!!! Got stroppy, had a hissy fit, became a Sooky La La ,reached for the comfort food – and didn’t stop eating for the next 5 years. Well, not quite , but I did eat a LOT.
    Dabbled with 5:2 on and for the next 5-6 years. Lurked on this forum and occasionally had a stab with 5:2 but not as diligently as I could have.🤪
    Started 2023 determined to lose weight but really needing to focus on better health. Getting older and a family history of diabetes and her disease 😲
    And since rejoining this forum, posting , reading about others’ journeys, suggestions and being accountable has seen the weight come down e-v-e-r- s-o s-l-o-w-l-y aka being a member of Club Tortwah ( name courtesy of a member some years ago !!). Long story short – doing 5:2 diligently ( mostly) and rethinking portion sizes, recalling some of the quotes people post here and reading others’ daily successes and struggles really is beneficial for me.
    So here we are off to a AAA April being active as well !!!
    @at many thanks again for the spreadsheet. I don’t know what we’d do without you!💐
    @malee57, I used to exercise 6-7 days a week but somewhere along the way when my 5:2 mojo went AWOL, so did my exercise mojo. I am gradually getting it back but it takes some doing.
    For a few years there the only exercise I seemed to get was the walk between the table and the fridge…… 😱😱😱
    @merryapple, CONGRATULATIONS on crashing through the glass ceiling!!💐 I know we lose height as we get older but 2 1/2 inches. Yikes !!! Anyway this IS your birthday month so we will make it a special one.
    I have always liked this particular forum because it is everyone’s lived experience – and we get to know a bit about each others’ life, their ups and downs etc. And I have learnt so much about different customs, food, words etc. It’s fascinating !😊
    @ccco , welcome ! Here’s to an Amazing April!
    @northgeorgia, yes a new normal can take some time to get used to. It is a bit like trying on a new garment or something. You move around in it and see how it feels, and it takes a bit of readjusting here and there. Sometimes it feels fine and a good fit and just when you think that you have settled on how it feels one day it doesn’t feel right at all and feels very uncomfortable and not right for the whole day.
    Our family is still coming to terms with the sudden and tragic death of our brother some months ago. Life is never the same …….😢😢
    @excelsior12309 welcome! It is always good to touch base with people who have been/ are on the forum. Love having you all around. And so pleased you dropped in to say hello. 😊
    @snowflake56,@Funshipfreddie,@AT, @songbirdme, welcome back to all of you, it’s great having you all around.
    I hope we can herd back some of the other cats who have been on this forum over the years as well.
    If ny of you are reading/lurking, please feel free to just drop by and ay hello. We would love to know how you are going.
    @michelinme,@flourbaby,@Penz,@LitProf,@linda_b, I hope yo are all going OK.
    Onward and Downward.
    Word of the day : Bathukolpian – deep bosomed !!

Day 1, Germany, NFD

Good morning everyone!

I’m a Dutchwoman living in the upper North-West of Germany, married, 66 years old, 163 cm/5’4″ tall. My weight was 56 kg/123.5lbs all my adult life until starting a new job in 2011 where my weight crept up to 72.9 kg. I joined the challenges on and off from March 2017 on. I lost 20 kg very quickly (too skinny then, I overdid it) but gained part of it back after retirement in March 2018. This morning my weight was 60.3 kg/133 lbs. I’m figuring out what weight suits me, I’ll go with the fit of my clothes this month. I have a few clothes I’d like to fit in again. We dance a few times a week and I’m going back to doing planks and squats again.

@lilymartin Loved family members or close friends will be missed forever, it stays difficult to deal with.

Have a nice day everyone, I hope this month will be a good one for us all!

Day 1 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅
    Starting weight : 157.6lbs (thrilled)
    Goal 155lbs – maybe in AAA April 🤔

@lilymartin – a huge thank you for hosting and herding us and for offering to continue on for April. Thinking of you 💕.

@at thanks as always for the spreadsheet and for offering to host May. I’ll raise my hand for June now as I’ll have more time then and I find hosting is great for keeping the focus. I always find summer harder than winter when it comes to fasting and staying AF .

@daffodil2010 💕

I am hoping the drop to the maintenance zone will happen. In April If it doesn’t then so be it… I really want to get to 155lbs and maintain in a range around that nice number. Can I do it by holidays late April 🏖️ ? I hope so – no I’ll aim to.
    Hi to everybody else (welcome back @excelsior12309) and well done to us all for getting through the first three months of the year.

So about me, for anyone new:I’ve been posting (with some gaps where focus was shot) since March 2017… My name is a little play on words as I speak French so “J’ai faim” means “I’m hungry” but also stands for Just Another Intermittent Fast And I’ll Maintain…it makes me smile I haven’t quite got to that stage yet.. I will though.. hopefully in the next month.

I had been doing really well with FDs and exercise until the middle of last year and had been the lightest I’ve been in many many years (157.3) – thanks to this forum – and have just begun to get back there this month after 6 months of feeling pretty ropey after Covid and it’s legacy issues.

Post menopausal 2+ years now and that has involved a long process of tweaking solutions …

I love being outdoors and generally cycle, walk and swim in the sea. Love it and am getting back into the swing of it all now.

My work is very busy and I also care for my mother (who has Alzheimer’s (quite progressed) and now has some newly diagnosed health issues) as much as I can with the help of the MOST amazing care givers and siblings. it is a sad time but our family are very blessed to be able to do what we can in her home .

I’m pretty much staying away from alcohol so “on the dry” or AF and have reduced added sugars as much as I can. Bread is off the menu until Easter as i try to work out these Lingering health issues. Dairy also to be reduced /cut. That’s hard!

My little icons help me to stick to clean nutrition.
    But….. life is for living and like others I tend to have one blowout (EFS) day a week where I might have crisps / a little chocolate etc – it has to be done – although I’m getting better at swerving these types of EFS day also.

Onward and downward ⬇️

We rise by lifting others 💕

Day 1 – UK – TDEE

@lilymartin – a huge thank you for hosting a second month in a row – Thinking of you 💕.

Woke up to a lovely day, blue skies and sunshine 🌞 I had no plans for today so will be getting those walking 🥾on and go out to boost up my Vit D levels and my feel good endorphins ☺️

A bit about myself for those new to these challenges:-
    *I am a 64y.o. female living with my OH in the beautiful Lake District ⛰ having moved here when I retired at the end of 2013. We have a married daughter who has 4 fur babies – 3 black 🐈‍⬛ and an adorable beagle called Archie 🐶
    *I had gained weight during the last couple of years of my working life and the first 2 years of retirement (long story but my darling mum in Australia fell ill and I travelled to Australia twice in 2014 and she sadly passed away at the end of the September)
    *I was fed up with being overweight and wanted to enjoy my early retirement and get fitter! I started 5:2 on my own in January 2016 and then I discovered these challenges and joined the 30 Day November 2016 Challenge with @back2thefuture – best thing I ever did, as it got me to my maintenance weight and has kept me motivated and on track with this WOL! – Total weight loss = 22kg/3st 7lbs. Height = 164cm
    *I’m now fairly fit, doing 5 exercise classes during the week (yoga x2, pilates x 1 and aerobic x2) and I also enjoy walking/hiking on my local fells at least 3 times each week.
    *When I first went on this journey I weighed 75kg/11st 11lbs I got down to 53-54kg/8st 4lbs – 8st 7lbs in Dec 2016 and maintained around that weight until April 2019 – thereafter I started a slow creep upwards with some yo-yoing until I hit a high of 61.6kg/9st 8lbs towards the end of last year……
    *For whatever reason I could not find my mojo again, until this last month when I decided to go alcohol free for Lent just to see if I could..………and I also have to say that “Make March Mine” resonated with me and has helped to keep me focused so a big thank you to @lilymartin 🤗

Cruella was very kind to me yesterday showing 58.6kg/9st 3lbs but today she was even nicer with a lower weight so I had to step on and off a few times just to make sure 🤣 but it remained firmly at 58.1kg/9st 2lbs 💃 that’s a loss of 3.5kg/7.7lbs since Ash Wednesday (22/2) when I went alcohol free……..

The biggest change that I have been aware of over the past 51/2weeks in my eating habits is that my NFDs have been mostly at TDEE or below – I only had 2 overindulgent days in March and I managed 12 FD (all FD800 bar 1 FD500) – I sleep better and have more energy – I will continue to remain alcohol free until the end of Lent and have another weigh in on Saturday 8/4 😇

The question I am now asking myself is do I want to go back down to 53-54kg/8st 4lbs-8st 7lbs with a BMI of under 20; where I first landed after my initial weight loss……..or am I happy around 57-58kg/8st 13lbs-9st 2lbs with a BMI of around 21????

I will keep reminding myself of my personal motto that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 1 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

About me:- David, 61, retired. Originally from Manchester in the UK, living in Port Elizabeth (aka Gqeberha) on the south-eastern coast of South Africa. My cantankerous cat Boo Boo & I ‘semi-grated’ from Durban – 1000 km away – 8 months ago. We’re staying in a rented cottage in a seaside/university town called Summerstrand. But we’ll be moving to our own place close by in about 4 weeks. My furniture has been in storage since we arrived, & I’m very much looking forward to sleeping in my own bed.

I’ve been fasting since 2014 after watching Michael Mosley’s ‘Eat, Fast & Live Longer’ BBC documentary. I only got serious about it after I retired 5 years ago when I joined the Challenges, & I’ve been maintaining for about 4 years. I’m currently following 5:2 & seldom eat before 11 am/12 noon on NFDs. I quit drinking 6 months ago, & maintaining has been so much easier since then. Before that it felt like a bit of a struggle & I’d often have to do an extra FD just to stay at/below 73 kg. I’m currently 68.8 kg, BMI 21.2.

@jaifaim – you’re so close to your goal! 🎯 Just 2 lb to go; you have to go for it this month 💪 Stay away from Easter eggs 😅 🐣

@at – I’m wondering the same re ideal BMI. I think how you feel is most important. The ‘healthy range’ of 18.5 – 24.9 is so broad. Anywhere between 60 – 80 kgs would put me in the healthy range. So I’m planning to just continue with 5:2 for now & hope my weight just stays the same.

Wishing everyone a successful Amazing & AA April & a great weekend 🌤 🌈

Day 1-No. VA USA-FD

Thank you @lilymartin, for hosting again this month. It is much appreciated.

I have read through many of the posts and identify with so many of the ideas and suggestions. @at and @funshipfreddie, I certainly agree that less or no alcohol can help with the weight loss. And I also agree about the BMI number. With such a wide range of “normal”, as @funshipfreddie suggests, we need sometimes to be kind to ourselves in achieving and maintaining our goal.

@jaifaim, (love that name!), I completely agree that menopause really makes weight control a challenge, which many of us did not have in younger days!

Please put me on pocket list for today! (NOT April Fool’s Day!)

Day 1 UK NFD

Hi all and thanks once again @lilymartin for hosting

I’m F61 living on the south coast of England with DH now we are both retired we love to travel but last year that had a disastrous impact for every lb I lost I seemed to gain 2 so started afresh on Jan 1st and so far have managed to shift 9lbs so about half way to my target , I have my summer hols in 2 months so I need to keep up the momentum

This months plan 2 <500 FDs 3 CDs , DTF each week and aim for moderation at weekends

Looking forward to our April journey 💪

2nd Post – Day 1

Pocket List – Day 1 🥑
    @excelsior12309

Day 1 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 218 lbs. Although up a bit from a week of NFDs, my weight stabilized right at 218 lbs, much as it did a few weeks ago before going down a couple of pounds. Maybe a few ounces dropped in the past couple of days, but wasn’t expecting any major weight loss after eating normally all week, either. Does indicate that perhaps I’ve adjusted my eating habits to my TDEE. Today’s the last in my NFD run, and I’ll plan to do a FD tomorrow.

@lilymartin Yes, it’s hard to get used to but we somehow carry on, with moment of teary-eyed breakdowns 🙂

OK, my goal is 211 for this month, but I’d love to see 210! Eight pounds away from today, but that’s the high range. If I was 212 on March 24, surely I can beat the Easter feasting and get to 211 sometime in the next 30 days 🙂

Day 1 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD – 151.4

Lovely posts from all of you, but I’m only able to skim them, looking for @michelinme, who I’m sad to see isn’t here. I had my hopes up…

Yesterday’s funeral went well–wowza but that man can sing, and that pipe organ was entertaining to play–but I spent much of the day eating, as I was exhausted and that depleted my resolve big time. Today I will do better.

But I have a long list of things I truly must accomplish today–much of it in front of a computer, so not particularly exhausting things, but plenty of them–so I’ve no time to respond to anyone or engage in my usual chatter. I will say that it’s our church’s Easter Egg Hunt today, for babies to kids in grade 6 (about 12), and there are 4,000 eggs for kids to get. It starts at 11 sharp…and is done at 11:05, LOL! Then the long line starts for the kids to turn in their eggs and get the prizes connected to the pieces of paper inside the eggs; THAT part takes close to an hour!

So, see, I can’t resist some chatter, huh? Have a grand one, everyone!

Day2 NFD NZ

Daylight saving for us today. “Spring Forward Fall Back”. Try telling Macintosh the Westie we have an extra hour in bed…
    It’s so misty outside I can’t see Eden Park (5 mins walk away) but there is a magical feel in the air, like being enveloped in a big fluffy cloud.
    It’s amazing how we find our way back to 5:2 with more confidence than for that initial weight loss. It’s like we know what to do, that it works and we can do it. I got down to the 70s in 2018 and loved being there but the weight crept back up. I have a photo of me at Vivienne Westwood’s in London trying on a car coat with the biggest smile on my face. DH bought it for me so I’m desperate to wear it again.
    Onward and downward!

Day 2 country west Australia CD
    @merryapple, yes the health benefits of 5:2 are one reason I have ‘hung around’ for so long.
    Of course I am also hoping to lose weight but I just feel better when being mindful of what I eat.
    On 5:2 I tend to have FDs and then mostly CDs as that keeps my eating under control.
    Were I to have an EFS day I don’t think I would recover !!! 😱
    So I have little food treats eg 1 piece of chocolate not a whole row or half a block !!! (sad but true previously ), if I choose but more often than not I now choose a haircut or something non-food as a ‘ reward’ when I feel like it.
    @funshipfreddie has nailed it with delayed gratification which is basically another attraction of 5:2 – if you don’t have it today, you can always have it tomorrow.

Day 2, Germany, NFD

@stitchincarol Wow, 4000 eggs for The Easter Egg Hunt, how many childeren are taking part? How long did it take to hide them all?

@jaifaim You’re almost there!

Have a nice Sunday everyone!

Day 2 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

I’m skipping the FD I’d planned for today. I ate minimally last night; just soup, an apple & 4 Provita. So I’m looking forward to a good lunch.

@merryapple – ‘Jenny Craig’s Island’ 🤣 Funny, but also sad. Just imagine – every book, DVD, supplement, subscription, ready meal & God knows what else is churned out year in year out, at the expense of people just wanting to be fit & healthy, but looking for the easy fix.

An article from Dr Mosley; currently touring Australia. Says we need more protein as we get older:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-11926449/DR-MICHAEL-MOSLEY-secret-avoiding-middle-age-spread-Eat-protein.html

Happy S🌞nday y’all!

Day 2 – USA/GA – FD

Weigh-in: 218 lbs (for five days running), but should go down tomorrow as I’m finally having my first FD in a week!

Hoping to have a somewhat more normal 5:2 week this week before the Easter weekend.

Pocket List – day 2
    @northgeorgia

Day 2 – UK – TDEE

Yesterday’s solo outing covered 7.6miles and 687ft of elevation gained – cooked a lovely mackerel dish from Jamie Oliver – Crispy-skinned mackerel with Asian-inspired dressing and made an upside-down plum cake which OH just loved – Out of the first half of the cake, I had a small slice and he ate the rest and today he devoured the second half in two sittings, after his run and this evening after dinner!!!! I may have just gone over my TDEE yesterday with that bit of plum cake!!!

Today was another gorgeous day so met up with 3 friends and their dogs for another hike, 9.77miles and 1,498ft of elevation gained – lovely day out with a light lunch taken sitting out in the sunshine 🌞

Back home just in time for a shower then watched the ladies 🏉 between England and Italy – the roses were rampant scoring four tries in an emphatic win! Dinner tonight was spelt pasta with a crab sauce, so definitely staying below TDEE

No yoga classes for the next 2 weeks as my teacher is have half term off with her son – wonder if it will affect my resolve on my normal Monday FD???

@funshipfreddie – totally agree re ideal BMI – I think how you feel is most important! I saw that article by Dr Mosely about increasing protein intake – it’s definitely something I need to explore….
    @merryapple – I certainly have felt the health benefits of 5:2 and as well as keeping my weight under control, it is one reason I have ‘hung around’ since finding this WOL in 2016!
    @northgeorgia – I hope you found resolve on your FD today 🤞

Tomorrow and Tuesday’s weather look fantastic, might need to make the most of it and go for walks on both days, tomorrow may be a solo one, unless I can convince someone to join me but Tuesday will be with my regular walking group.

I hope to see more regulars posting this coming week, missing a lot of folks – hopefully you are all OK and will post soon….🤗

Day 3 FD NZ

@funshipfreddie Did you notice the Cyclone in Mozambique was called Cyclone Freddie😀Thank you for the protein article. Its great to read about the latest research. I’ll happily increase my (lean!) protein intake.
    FYI Protein is used for muscle repair. It’s not able to be stored (like fat and carbs) and is excreted by the kidneys as nitrogenous waste. Eating too much increases the work load on the kidneys hence the daily recommended intake.
    @at I haven’t made an upside down cake for years. My mother used to make them. I have a glut of Feijoas at the moment so will give one a go. I have just made plum chutney (a little hotter than I intended because of those Granny’s Bonnet chilies) and plum jam. I’m in the middle of making roasted Feijoa chutney which I’ll finish off today. Roasting caramelises the sugars but you do have to hang around and stir regularly otherwise it burns. Boiled Feijoas have a slightly slimy texture but roasted are delicious.
    @northgeorgia Did the scales do what you wanted?🤣
    @snowflake56 I thought the same thing. 4,000 Easter eggs???? 4,000 kids = 1 each, 400 kids = 10 each, 40 = 100 each, 4 = 1,000 each!!! I’m sure @stitchincarol will let us know!!
    @excelsior12309 and @songbirdme Hi there and welcome back into the fold!
    @lilymartin What a great idea – a reward for my up coming 5kg loss!! Coming up in 1.1kg. I like to think in 5kg lots because if I contemplate the total weight loss required it’s somewhat daunting…
    @jaifaim That’s pretty tough loosing dairy as well as CHOs in your diet. I hope you have a good nutritionalist looking after you. And alcohol… 😘
    @brightonbelle congratulations on hitting halfway!
    @malee57 Great to hear you’re plugging away. And will have your sister for support.
    @daffodil2010 Hope you’re jumping on board soon!
    Did I get everyone?
    I better get my sourdough bread bug activated and ready to make hot cross buns. Yum. I add a wee bit of marmalade to mine instead of peel.
    Onward and downward

Today’s Pocket List
    Merry🍎

Day 3 Melbourne, Australia FD

I missed somehow posting yesterday. I was reading through the posts and got sidetracked before posting. Yesterday was the end of daylight savings for us too. It is nice waking up to daylight again. It was a lovely day and I got out into the garden which is not something I do often as I like looking at gardens but not working in them. But it was getting a bit feral. In the afternoon I went to a concert of our local amateur orchestra. My STBX and I went and really enjoyed it. We have been to a couple of their concerts in the past and they are quite good. And because I was busy all day my eating stayed under control.

Today I have tradies coming to do some work so will probably not go for a swim. I will try to keep busy at home so that I am not tempted by the siren call of the fridge and cupboard.

I need to go back to checking ingredients of packaged food and avoiding those with added sugar. Even the rice crackers need to be checked. Lately I have been going back to high refined carbohydrate foods. Which is not good for me. I am not avoiding CHO but trying to really reduce the amount I eat.

I am jealous of your walks @at. So, I am trying to do the calf stretches and help the plantar fasciitis heal. Then I can work my way up to doing my walks around the neighbourhood. Not as scenic as you get, but enjoyable, nonetheless.

@merryapple I am very jealous of your feijoas. I have never tried to cook them, I just devour them fresh.

Day 2 – Ireland – NFD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Busy busy long and fun day… hope are well – see you tomorrow.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Day 3 country west Australia FD
    With @at I am hoping. more of our regulars will post. Just to say hi or to let us know how you are going. We’d love to hear from you.
    Is there anything we can do to improve this forum for you ? Always happy for feedback.🤗
    @funshipfreddie, thanks for the article on protein, it’s very interesting.
    A lot of middle-aged females I know, including me!, suddenly had the Fat Fairy visit in the dead of night and superglue an enormous tyre around our waists which simply will NOT budge!!!! Well it does budge but it takes a LOT of work – dietary and exercise.
    I have recently upped my protein with more fresh fish and having boiled eggs in the fridge. @northgeorgia, looking forward to a downward dip for you this week
    @at, I agree, your walks sound fabulous.
    @funshipfreddie, hoping your stomach bug troubles are improving.
    I
    Today’s Pocket list:
    Merryapple
    Malee57
    lilymartin.
    We can do this !
    And for all the dancers out there
    Terpsichorean – pertaining to dance. (Terpsichore was the Muse of dancing)😊

Day 3, NFD, Aus

Hello all, back for more!

Thanks @lilymartin for hosting again. Are you the first to do B2B hosting?

Day 3 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Hi all, back for April, really need to get that tyre superglued to my waist OFF? You are so right @lilymartin, it suddenly appears when at a certain age.

I am still not feeling 100%, lots of rest at the weekend but still some symptoms that I think I better make an appointment with my doc and get a few blood tests etc to see what’s going on. It’s also two years since my burst appendix shock, which I am happily recovered from, and 31 years since my Mam passed, so it’s also been a sombre weekend for me.

I have a cremation to go to at noon, our old next door neighbour from my childhood home, so WFH today and will slip off to Dublin later.

And finally, I think my cat Missie might not be well, she is eating and all fine, but she was struggling to jump up on the couch beside me just now. She IS 17 so it’s probably old age but I better keep an eye on her, she never gave us a moments worry health wise before ☹️

On that cheery note (sorry for the gloom) I wish you all a good Monday. Xxx

Day 3 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@merryapple – yes! Cyclone Freddy was a menace. And was declared the longest-lasting Tropical Cyclone ever, at 5 weeks + 2 days. Caused havoc in Madagascar & a couple of neighbouring states & killed around 900 people. But it didn’t quite reach South Africa, phew?!

@lilymartin – the stomach bug/flu – or whatever it is – is slowly improving 😣

i just nailed today’s Wordle in 2 attempts. TWO! And I’m on a 57 day streak. Just sayin’. Top that, anyone? 😅

Gotta dash, have a good week everyone. RESOLVE to today’s fasters 💪 🎯

Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @malee57
    @lilymartin

Day 3 – Ireland – FD 🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Hi all! Great hike in the rain on Saturday and a 90km
    cycle yesterday with friends. First long one in ages it felt great… The day started out wet but then turned into a beautiful sunny day ☀️

@funshipfreddie – you are the champ!!! I got to a 41day steak recently and then somehow forgot to do it for a day so gave up “streaking” 😂😂😂😂😂😂

@snowflake56 and @funshipfreddie thanks for the encouragement – I am so nearly there… but “nearly never…. “
    I was here last year but I think it was holidays and Covid that scuppered the downward trend so you just never know what will come and trip you up… all we can do is keep on keeping on… 👍

@merryapple yes it will be tough to drop my milky coffees…I don’t really take much more dairy. I know I’m intolerant to one of the proteins in cows milk: casein but have always lived with it… need to address it now though I think and I’m feeling good having cut out other problematic proteins…(gluten has made a huge difference with brain fog and the headaches) but I should say… I’m not cutting carbs per se… I need them and particularly for long distance cycling…I just need to eat the right ones… I do eat sugar in fruits, etc but I’ve cut most added sugars.. so sweets, treats, chocolate etc.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @malee57
    @lilymartin

Oops…. Forgot to add myself…

Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @malee57
    @lilymartin
    @jaifaim

Day 3 UK NFD

Last minute change of plan as DS & GF popping over this evening so will have a FD tomorrow instead

According to my stats 78 days is my longest streak @funshipfreddie – I’m 410 days and on 98% DH and I have a mini competition daily , it’s a bit of fun for 5 mins 😃

I’m sure you’ll hit your target this month @jaifaim Great work 💪

See you all tomorrow- have a good day

Day 3 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 214 lbs. FD was successful. Just 3 lbs to lose from this point to get to my April goal… 🙂

Day 3 – Rural Nebraska, USA – NFD

Eating minimally has not been happening…I’ve been attacked by a massive appetite and haven’t found any will power to resist my determination to eat. Eat. And EAT. And it’s the busiest week of the year, so I’ve just given up trying to be noble, and I’m going for acceptable, LOL. I’ll do my WF tomorrow and Thursday, and keep working on my daily to-do list, and call it good until I can return to weight-loss mode next week.

@snowflake56 Turns out the family that organizes our Easter egg hunt filled more and more and more eggs, and ended up finally with 8,000 eggs. Contemplate that. It boggles my mind, LOL! There’s no “hiding” the eggs; they just get thrown out onto the grass and it’s a question of how fast the little ones can run and pick them up…but the funniest thing I saw on Saturday was a little girl who, when the bell rang to start the hunt, ran past something like two dozen eggs for the hot pink egg she apparently had been eyeing; she then ignored the blue one right next to it–RIGHT next to it–and ran past five more eggs for the green one a distance away. So then I looked at other little kids (these were the three year-olds) and they were all doing the same thing. FUNNY! There were approximately 300 kids involved, and there’s nothing as delightful as watching all those children with their excitement!

I woke up at 5am this morning–as in, my eyes popped open and that was that. That’s certainly not normal for me, but given that we have Sunrise service at 7am this Sunday, this is the week I always figure I should spend getting up early so that Sunday is easier when it gets here. So, it’s 7am now, and I’ve done some computer work, and now I’m going to go do some tidying that I ignored yesterday, and start in on my to-do list. DH and I went for a walk yesterday evening in our 70/21 degree sunshine; so sad it won’t be that lovely today, but glad we had it yesterday!

Have a grand one, everyone!

USA. Day 3. FD

Pocket List – Day 3 🍋
    @merry🍎
    @malee57
    @lilymartin
    @jaifaim
    @ccco

Good morning! 🙂

Day 4 Melbourne, Australia FD

As per usual lately, yesterday’s FD did not go all that well. I think I was well under my TDEE, and I did weigh less today than yesterday morning. So, it was not a dead loss. I am working tonight and I’ll give today another go. I’m thinking about getting a small whiteboard on my fridge and physically writing out the pocket list as having it somewhere really obvious might help. I have not got beyond thinking about it yet. @lilymartin and @merryapple what a good idea and maybe I will make a haircut the reward when I get down to 74kgs.

@stitchincarol aren’t kids funny. I can’t remember back to when I was 3 to know if I would have done the same i.e., just go for a certain colour egg. Mind, I am one of 9 kids so I would have been trying to get any as there were not usually enough of anything to get more than a couple.

@j‘aifaim all the cafes around here have all the different plant-based milks, so you would not have any difficulty getting a coffee. And most of the supermarkets have them too.

@funshipfreddie my sister does wordle in the morning before anything else (apart from her morning coffee). But I do not see the attraction. To me it is boring.

Have a good day all.

Day 4, NFD, Aus

My mojo has well and truly departed. I think it’s taken up residence on Mars. I am NOT going to be swelt and sexy for a milestone birthday next month and I have only myself to blame. Of course, because there are not enough weeks left for me to drop the weight I want to shed, the evil voice inside my head is whispering there’s no point even in trying to lose a few kilos, so why not reach for that snack or extra glass of wine?

Grrrr!

Still, I’m here. Small steps and little goals.

Day 4 country west Australia CD 83.8 kgs 184.36 lbs
    @penz I will lend you some of my mojo if you would like 🤗 Mine is back in spades !!!!
    Some years ago, since 2017, my mojo also took up residence on Mars and I ate myself into the position I am currently in 😱😱😱 – plus the kgs I have lost since doing 5:2 from the beginning of this year.
    You do NOT want to be in that position so, as you say, baby steps. And if you are not completely svelte and sexy at least you will be on the way. ☺️
    Let your mindful voice shout over one the whispering inside your head re eating !! And remember we are all here encouraging you.🤝
    @stitchincarol, it is difficult when the siren song or aroma of food calls isn’t it ??
    And let’s face it ‘ acceptable ‘ is , well, acceptable!!😁
    Yesterday my FD almost wasn’t.I went really well until about 7 pm and then I had a fit of nibbilitis and the munchies and the hunger dragons begging me to eat my weight in food, especially carbs.
    So I drank 3 large glasses of water and made a large salad of lettuce, beetroot, carrot, tomato, boiled egg and planned what I would eat today. Just managed to swerve the calories and today Cruella was quite kind.
    Still a LOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG way to go but at least I’m not going backwards or should that be upwards ?? 🤔
    @funshipfreddie I hope you continue to recover.🍇 How are the Reno’s going? or are they at a pause whilst you recover?
    @daffodil2010, sorry to hear you still are unwell. I trust the blood tests will show what might be the problem and hope it is nothing major.💐
    @northgeorgia, congratulations for the 214 lbs. Only 3 lbs more is doable so well done .👏
    @brightonbelle, hope the FD goes well today. That’s the good thing about 5:2, it is so flexible.
    In the past I just got to the point of my doing 5:2 so flexibly – that I actually wasn’t !!!😲 I mean one does actually have to fast at least one day a week to be fasting!!!!!🙄🙄
    But now that I am back on track it is working. Who knew ????
    @jaifaim, I love. my flat white coffees but have cut down on them. I hope you find a ‘milk’ to suit your gut. It is interesting how our gut changes as we age 🤔
    Have a good day all.
    Divagate : to stray, to wander, to digress. Which I seem to have a bad habit of doing !!!!🤣

Day4 CD NZ

Well… last night after a FD I needed fast food so made mac n cheese… with mushrooms. So much for low or no carbs for dinner. Upshot though is that today is under control because I’m not very hungry.
    @malee57 I have eaten so many fresh Feijoas that I’m nervous about leaving the house without a spare pair of pants😬😬😬
    Go @lilymartin!! It has cooled down here so big salads are not so appealing but I need to change that attitude. I have made Baked Beans with a chorizo that will last me for a couple of nights.
    I now have to get the ladder out and take it up to the garage. I have seen a couple of fat rats in there so need to nail up some bait before the birds start building their nests in the trees.
    Blinking daylight saving. Macintosh is an hour early for all events in his day – getting up, food, walks… Or maybe I’m an hour late like he’s telling me…
    Onwards and downwards

Day 4, Germany, NFD
    Day 3 NFD

Forgot to post yesterday.

@lilymartin My planned FD didn’t happen either but it wasn’t too bad. That’s my problem being in maintenance, I forget my weight can go up again.

@jaifaim You’re so close, don’t let it slip away! I’m great at reaching my goal but I’m not good at maintaining. All goes well for a while but then the weight will creep up again.

@penz Don’t give up, every gramm matters. Even if you’ll lose less than you planned, it will still be a loss and it will make you proud you’ve achieved it.

@merryapple I think we both imagined a different kind of egg hunt! I had to look up what feijoas are, I’ve never seen them and can’t even imagine how they’ll taste. I hope you get rid of the rats.

@stitchincarol That’s a totally different kind of egg hunt! It must have been fun to watch the children run to the colored ones they picked out.

@funshipfreddie Thanks for posting the article about protein. I never counted out the protein amount I eat but I think I might be on the low side.

Have a nice day everyone!

Day 4 – South Africa 🇿🇦 – NFD

@brightonbelle – 78?! Impressive!

@jaifaim – isn’t that the worst? When you forget to do the puzzle & lose your streak? Getting it wrong after 6 attempts is bad enough, but forgetting…🥴️

@lilymartin – I don’t want to jinx myself, but I think I’m all better 🤞 It hasn’t been so bad that it’s kept me from getting out & about. I’ve finally got a reasonable quote to fix up one of the bathrooms – the other will have to wait – & I’m still waiting for a quote to fix up the kitchen & the bedroom wardrobes. The bathroom will be done next week.

Sorry to hear some people are losing their mojo; & so early in the month? I always try to watch or read something if I need a mojo boost. Hearing &/or reading about other people’s successes is a great motivator, for me anyway. And contemplating the health-related consequences of throwing in the towel might just do the trick too.

“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.” ~ Zig Ziglar

Pocket List – Day 4 🍒
    @malee57

Day 4 – Ireland 🇮🇪 – NFD

Feeling better today, however the next available appointment for my GP is 24th April!

She is away for Easter, and I don’t want to see the Locum GP ( he insisted I had gout when I went in with my plantar fasciitis and put me on gout meds, and caused a major kerfuffle with my chemist who disagreed with that prescription due to my BP meds, and then my GP rang as soon as she got back telling me to stop taking the gout meds IMMEDIATELY!!!!)…… Drama one does not need 😆

Sorry to hear your mojo has gone @penz. Mine is not great either but I will not let the evil voice tell me what to do. @lilymartin, I will take some of your mojo too please 👍

I have been doing loads more research though,meaning to find something that will get me out of this stagnant state, I Feel my metabolism has slowed right down, way down, same weight give or take a few pounds. But, I still fit into the same work clothes from my size 12 days, though jeans are a problem. It’s that menopause apron getting in the way. Now I read that cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, black pepper and lemon in hot water could kickstart the metabolism. So I sip on that every morning, can’t do any harm.

Have a great Tuesday all.

Day 4 – UK – FD
    Day 3 – NFD

Making the most of the gorgeous weather we have been experiencing 🌞

Yesterday got out for another hike – 7.27miles and 1051ft elevation gained – I totalled up my walks Friday to Monday and covered 28.17miles and 3877ft elevation gained!

Out for a walk with my regular walking group this morning, haircut booked for early afternoon then some food shopping so planning a OMAD FD 500 🤞

@penz and @daffodil2010 – lovely to have you back with us
    @aifaim – looks like you have also been out enjoying some exercise
    @northgeorgia – you are doing great – stay strong and positive
    @stitchincarol – I was on track for a good FD yesterday until I too was “attacked by a massive appetite and haven’t found any will power to resist my determination to eat. Eat. And EAT.” BUT today is another day so with my MOJO firmly back in place I WILL DO THIS FD
    @malee57 – I will be with you for today’s FD – TOGETHER WE ARE STRONGER!

Pocket List – Day 4 🍒
    @malee57
    @at

This month I am reminding myself of my personal motto that “If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now”

Day 4 – Ireland – FD800🚫🚶🏼‍♀️✅

Hi all! Well bobbing about after the weekend.. ⚖️ but thank you all… thank you all so much … can’t say it enough.. for the encouragement. I know I’m doing well but there are events coming up that have scuppered ”old” me in the past… Easter.. and the hols… and I know I’ll go easy on myself on hols but I really would love to hit target 🎯 before then … as then I can apply easy on/easy off.. this has been very very slow “off” with lots of changes and hard work so I really really want it.
    @daffodil2010 I was taking turmeric capsules for a couple of years but am now taking much the same concoction each morning after a friend tried it…and I’m cutting down on meds and vitamins intake after doing a lot of research too and taking as much as I can in direct food source. I’m taking it more for aches and pains for me rather than metabolism but that would be a bonus. Do mind your teeth though as turmeric stains awfully. So use a straw. 🍹

@stitchincarol my phone and all devices are banned now from the bedroom…. For the past week… I’m sleeping so much better…

@funshipfreddie – isn’t that the absolute worst – I was disgusted 😖 😂
    So @brightonbelle you are our wordle champ then?

@malee57 we have the alternative milk options here thankfully but I haven’t decided on one I like best. At home I have been using oat milk but now I’m trying to avoid gluten and I still revert back to skinny milky coffees when out… the last habit I need to break… gosh it’s all so complicated…
    That’s a great idea re: the pocket list. I’m with you today. We can do it!

@penz come on…. We have you 💪 You’re in the right place.. poca a poca… it really just does take one good FD to get you back on track… please don’t think you won’t do it… our minds have a terrible habit of believing negative thoughts… you will…. You will … you will. ⭐️

Let’s not divagate today 😂 thanks @lilymartin. I’m
    Grabbing some of your mojo too… I’ll trade you some of mine 🫴.

@merryapple and @malee57 I have no clue as to what a feijoas is so I’m off to Google now 😊

@funshipfreddie and @snowflake56 I’m trying to increase protein too I don’t think I eat enough for my muscles etc… we should learn all this stuff at school… maybe we did?

@at yes! I’m making the most of the good weather although did get rained on this morning… 🚴

Ok it seems that it might be a tricky month but just remember that every single day and every single meal matters… choose wisely some of the days and we’ll be in a good place for Easter… then we can enjoy it 🐣 and get back on track before the 30th.

Onward and downward ⬇️

Pocket list Day 4 🍒

@malee57

@at

@jaifaim FD800

Day 4 UK FD

Glad there’s a list going as I need to get back on track , had grand ideas for April but a couple of nice days and some surprise visits have well and truly blown me off course , the difficult thing is getting back into good habits so I’m getting stuck into a lot of jobs I’ve been putting off in the hope keeping busy so I won’t really notice I’m not eating today 🤞

Pocket list Day 4 🍒

@malee57
    @at
    @jaifaim FD800
    @brightonbelle

Day 4 – USA/GA – NFD

Weigh-in: 217 lbs. Little mistakes made yesterday – ate a big late lunch and ordered pizza for my niece and nephew at home (had a couple of slices), then later (after 8 pm) I had grapes and cheese. No no… tone down the quantity if eating heavy and so close together, and stop eating after 8 pm. Slippery slope!

I have a professional lunch arranged today with the college President, so FD will either be tomorrow or Thursday.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 319 total)

You must be logged in to reply.