8 week plateau?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  timmothysmith01 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Hello Everyone

My husband and I started the 5:2 diet last May.
    It was all going well, slowly, but well, and by August I had lost 3.5kg and he had lost 4.5 kg.
    In August we went on holiday for two weeks and we stopped dieting. When we got back we had put on 1.5kg each; as we started again the 5:2, we lost the 1.5kg we had gained within 10 days.

Ever since then though, despite us continuing with the 5:2 regime, we’ve not been able to lose any more weight. Our measurements are also the same.

I’m concerned because this had happened to me before, when I did the 5:2 several yeas ago. I had reached a plateau for 8 months and in the end I switched to another diet.

I wonder if you have any suggestions as to how move away from the plateau phase and go back into losing weight/fat again? With Christmas approaching and all those treats, I’m feeling concerned already…

Hi Martina. I can see why you’d be so concerned. I’m not sure I can help much as whilst I had a few short plateaux in the first 6 months there was nothing as long as 8 months so I don’t have a direct experience of the same issue.

Are you doing the 800 or 600 calorie version on fast days? If it’s the 800 one it may be worth trying the 600 for a while.

At the risk of being patronising, because I’m sure you would already have done these basic checks are you sure you are sticking to the 600 or 800 regime strictly on the FDs? Are you also being sensible on the NFDs – so definitely not counting calories but also not going mad and eating loads?

I recall that within about 2 months of my starting 5:2 my portion control had improved drastically on NFDs and I was naturally only eating about half of what I’d previously considered a “normal” meal. These days if we get a take-away my wife and I only need to order one person’s main course and pudding as we share the between us and feel full. Has the same sort of portion control kicked in for your good selves on NFDs?

I can’t think of anything else to suggest but I wish you the best of luck with it.

Approximately 4-6 months into practice, your strength gains will level off and reach a plateau. It’s vital to not abandon a habit too soon because progress might not be apparent right away. How to break through a plateau: Your workout’s intensity should be changed.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply.