5:2 after the liver transplant

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Krisgaj 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Hello, I’m Chris and have a question about my dad. He had the liver transplant in 2011 ( because of the hepatic cancer). He has always been an obese person (20 kilos overweight) and suffers from metabolic issues connected to that- hypertension and diabetes II. Obviously he is on immunosuppresants for the rest of his life. Now, I am a M.D.myself but just an E.N.T. surgeon and have absolutely no experience or specific knowledge if a person after an organ transplant can start a diet like 5:2. Have any of you, dear Forum Friends, ever heard of any post-transplant patient on the 5:2 diet? I would be grateful for any suggestions.
    Best greetings from Poland! Chris

Hi Chris, I am no help, but bumping this up incase someone with knowledge sees it.
    Cheers

Hi Chis, I am not post transplant, but I am on immunosuppresant drugs forever (to manage rheumatoid arthritis). I have had no negative impacts from 5:2, I lost the weight I needed to and have been healthier. I’ve stayed on 5:2 to help with weight maintenance.

I do have regular appointments with my doctor and monthly blood tests (which include liver function tests – my LFTs improved dramatically with weight loss). When you have serious health issues (as your father has), changing diet should be done under medical supervision. I found that my blood pressure meds needed frequent adjustment as I lost weight – I no longer need any BP medications.
    If your father has a doctor he sees regularly I think a discussion with him/her would be essential.

I just searched the site for “transplant” and noticed that a few people with kidney transplants have discussed their experience – you may want to read those discussions:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/how-the-fast-diet-has-benefited-me/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/kidney-donation/

Cinque,LJoyce,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    My dad started the 5:2 two weeks ago and is doing just fine. The story of the person after the kidney transplant on the 5:2 is very inspiring. Hopefully,taking all necessary precautions,it will be a life changer for my dad.
    Best Greetings!
    Chris

Hi Krisgaj

here is an article about research done on kidney transplant patients who did fasting for Ramadan, so far there was no negative impact : http://www.sjkdt.org/article.asp?issn=1319-2442;year=2010;volume=21;issue=3;spage=417;epage=420;aulast=Khedmat

I hope your dad is doing well. I would love to hear about his progress since your last post was about a year ago.

Dear Shi-Lin,
    Thanks for the link to the paper- it is really interesting.
    As for my dad: he is doing just fine,his blood tests have never been better so his immunologist withdrew the steroids and could lower the Prograf dosage. Obviously,I have no medical evidence the improvement has much to do with the 5:2 diet but definitely it has not brought any harm. In addition my father lost 3-4 kilos- could do better;) I have lost 10 kilos,my mom 6 kilos.
    Best greetings!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply.