5:2 after the liver transplant

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Krisgaj 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Hello, I’m Chris and have a question about my dad. He had the liver transplant in 2011 ( because of the hepatic cancer). He has always been an obese person (20 kilos overweight) and suffers from metabolic issues connected to that- hypertension and diabetes II. Obviously he is on immunosuppresants for the rest of his life. Now, I am a M.D.myself but just an E.N.T. surgeon and have absolutely no experience or specific knowledge if a person after an organ transplant can start a diet like 5:2. Have any of you, dear Forum Friends, ever heard of any post-transplant patient on the 5:2 diet? I would be grateful for any suggestions.
    Best greetings from Poland! Chris

Hi Chris, I am no help, but bumping this up incase someone with knowledge sees it.
    Cheers

Hi Chis, I am not post transplant, but I am on immunosuppresant drugs forever (to manage rheumatoid arthritis). I have had no negative impacts from 5:2, I lost the weight I needed to and have been healthier. I’ve stayed on 5:2 to help with weight maintenance.

I do have regular appointments with my doctor and monthly blood tests (which include liver function tests – my LFTs improved dramatically with weight loss). When you have serious health issues (as your father has), changing diet should be done under medical supervision. I found that my blood pressure meds needed frequent adjustment as I lost weight – I no longer need any BP medications.
    If your father has a doctor he sees regularly I think a discussion with him/her would be essential.

I just searched the site for “transplant” and noticed that a few people with kidney transplants have discussed their experience – you may want to read those discussions:
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/how-the-fast-diet-has-benefited-me/
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/kidney-donation/

Cinque,LJoyce,
    Thank you so much for your help.
    My dad started the 5:2 two weeks ago and is doing just fine. The story of the person after the kidney transplant on the 5:2 is very inspiring. Hopefully,taking all necessary precautions,it will be a life changer for my dad.
    Best Greetings!
    Chris

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply.