The fast vegetarian

This topic contains 12 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  sherylfromCA 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Hi
    Any other vegetarians or vegans starting 5:2?
    I am really interested in the potential health/well-being benefits, but would not mind losing a few kg as a side-effect (!).
    Thought it would be nice to share healthy, easy veggie and vegan meal ideas with a few like-minded folk.
    Look forward to reading from you.

Hello Monkey,

I am not a strictly vegan but I eat loads of vegan dishes and foods. I am more a flexitarian since I like an egg or some fish occasionally. I am also interested in sharing some vegan meal ideas.
    I just had pasta with various chopped vegetables and soycream, some gomasio on top. Delicious!
    My first day of the 5:2 lifestyle will be tomorrow. I also need to lose some kilograms, I don’t feel comfortable with my weight (my BMI is 25.7).
    When will you start?

Vegan here!

But I have to say, being vegan never kept me thin. If you overeat calories you will gain, vegan or not.

So now I’m doing 4:3 along with being vegan. I actually like the term plant-based better, because you don’t get all the politics you get with being “vegan.” I do feel better avoiding meats, fish, chicken, eggs and dairy. Unfortunately, it never kept me slim.

My first 4:3 fasting day is today.

Day 1 was yesterday. Went ok.
    No breakfast – just 2 big mugs of tea with soya milk ( my usual morning drink) before leaving for work.
    Apple for lunch. Decided not to tell my work colleagues yet, as don’t want to keep getting asked whether i’m hungry! Don’t think they noticed as i went for a walk instead of eating at lunchtime. How virtuous I felt!
    Varied different things to drink coffee, peppermint tea, water, normal tea during day, a diet soda as a ‘treat’.
    Crispbread and marmite late pm snack.
    Big salad and humous with jalapeños on the side for main evening meal.
    Miso soup late evening – keen not to go to bed hungry, felt nourishing.
    Hungry today, but trying to eat lots of healthier things, not rubbish.
    Fasting again tomorrow, trying not to overeat in preparation!
    Wishing you well for your first days, fellow meat-free fasters – Let me know how it goes.
    Monkey

High there.
    Hows it going?
    2nd fasting day today. Not so easy -felt more empty than on Tuesday and got a headache this pm – perhaps not drinking enough? but i’ve managed to end on just over 500 cals. Using myfitnesspal to track calories, but i reckon it would be very easy to cheat using this – there is so much variation between cal count for same foods!
    M

I’ve had my first day yesterday and it was not so good. I got a terrible headache in the evening and at 9:30 pm I was super hypoglycaemic and felt miserable. So I ended up with a mini binge and addtional 444 calories. *sigh*. Maybe it wasn’t good to have a large serving of potatos and only a very small serving of protein. I am still learning. Maybe next monday will be better.
    I use a scale and a calculator, I don’t trust apps and online counting systems.
    I don’t know what to do against the heafache, I still have mine this morning.

What have you had for the 500 calories?
    When is your next day?

Anni

Hi I am vegetarian ,can i please get a vegetarian diet plan.I dont eat egg either.but egg as an ingredient is ok.Any mealplan suggestions,just a starter for this fasting diet.

Nobody can do a diet plan for you (not least because no-one knows your relevant statistics, needs etc.) but I wonder if you might pick up some useful ideas in the recipes section?
    https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/forum/food/recipes/

You might be well advised to read the dedicated thread where lots of the questions that newcomers have are answered: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

500kcals is recommended as the kcal intake for women on a fast day (600kcals for a man). On a non-fast day, you eat to your TDEE (as explained in the above thread).

Good Luck integrating fasting into your new WOL.

Hello! I’m new here, but done 5:2 successfully for about a month (losing about 1lb per week). I’m flexitarian/plant-based. Basically skew heavily towards vegan but have some dairy and eggs occasionally, and even more occasionally some fish. Like others I haven’t found eating no meat to be a barrier to weight gain! I’m hoping to lose about 1 to 1.5 stone to get to around 8 stone.

In terms of what has worked for me so far… I tend to have something light (like an apple or hot chocolate) around 10am, then an earlyish lunch of bean soup and some lentil crisps (chips for the non-Brits). And then nothing until the next day. I find that means I can have a decent office lunch so avoid questions from Co-workers, then an early night and sleep through the period when I would be most hungry. And I find bean soup to be both very low calorie and filling, and obviously good for trying to get some protein in for the day. But I’m very much a beginner so certainly expect there are ways I could do better!

Hi, I’m new here too. I’m a vegan, have been for a few years now and have to agree with sjoyceelia that cutting out dairy and meat doesn’t guarantee optimal weight. Big food have certainly caught on and there are lots of temptations filling supermarket shelves now. I’d have to say that the beauty of the 5:2 for me is the feeling of well being and, maybe it’s because I eat plant based, the craving for fresh food on the ‘5’ days. I don’t eat at all on my fast days, water and green tea only because I find it easier and though the first week was tough because I was probably detoxing, since then I feel sharper mentally and actually look forward to the fast days. I believe that eating plant based makes this way of life easier because the tendency is not towards processed foods anyway. It also means that your calorie intake tends to be lower on the ‘5’ days. It has only been IF that has made me go back to eating this way though because as a vegan you can become lazy with too much bread, pasta and potatoes! I’m looking to get back to 175 lbs from my current 192. I was at 198 2 weeks ago so I’m hoping I’m doing something right. I wish everyone the very best wishes on their journey to their goal, and remember it’s a marathon not a sprint x

Hello. I’m not vegetarian but do eat a lot of plant-based meals. This ‘Thai Veggie’ soup is great for a FD.

1000 g, Squash, winter, butternut, raw cut into 3cm cubes
    200 g, Onions, raw
    5 ml Coconut Oil
    500 g, Celeriac, raw, cut into 4cm cubes

200 gram, Carrots, sliced
    32 g, Thai Red Curry Paste
    237 millilitres Reduced Fat Coconut Milk
    200 g, Red Split Lentils
    1 vegetarian stock cube
    2 litres water

Fry the onions and carrots in the coconut oil for about 5 minutes to soften.
    Add all the other ingredients.
    Bring to the boil the simmer until the squash is cooked (about 25 minutes)
    Whizz with a hand blender and add salt and pepper if you wish.

It makes 12 portions. I freeze this in portions x2.

116 calories per portion.

It’s very tasty and filling. Great for a FD with some extra veg such as green beans or broccoli.

I hope you like it. I invented last year when we produced 42 big butternut squash!

Hello, I’ve just joined, although I started my 5:2 two weeks ago. I’ve lost 4 lbs. so far and feel good. Some afternoons after work I feel really tired, but this way of eating (and cutting out wine for 2 weeks) has been great for my sleep. No more wakefulness, tossing or turning! I like the discipline and find myself cutting back on regular days as well. My fast day meals consist of a boiled egg and coffee, homemade lentil soup at lunch so that I can eat with colleagues, and steamed or sautéed veg in the evening. Planning what to eat ahead of time really helps. Tonight I made a black bean and salsa baked casserole with low fat cheese because I was tired of just vegetables. Variety helps. I have 25 lbs to lose, so I’m in for the long haul. Summer will be a challenge…all those G&Ts! Keep the faith folks!

Hi, Lacto ovo vegetarian here. I am returning to 5:2 this week. I am not a foodie and like simple meals, so I’ll depend on low cal high protein shakes and soup for my fast days. I am following Dr. Mosley’s revised guidelines of 800 Fast day calories.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply.