Water Fasting, seems easier than low cal- have you tried it???

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Water Fasting, seems easier than low cal- have you tried it???

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  mvstorey 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Hi All
    I am new to the forum so not sure if this is covered already but I have been doing total fasting, just drinking water, for many years (not continuously!) and find that it is much easier than partial fasts or low cal as any food seems to stimulate my appetite, whereas no food I get a bit tired off and on throughout the day but seems to control my weight ok and I am not worrying about how much cal I am eating.

At a guess, I would say that around 50% of the fasters on this site water fast rather than restrict calories 🙂

Some find water fasting easy and others cannot tolerate it. I can do it but I prefer to have tea and coffee during the day with the addition of small quantities of milk. Others cannot either prepare a family meal or watch others eating without having something themselves. The flexibility of choosing what suits us on FDs is one of the things that make this plan so successful.

Thanks Amazon
    That is interesting, particularly the fact that people are encouraged to respond to their own desires and preferences- very different from a typical ‘diet’ which is very prescriptive, yet people have tips and encouragement for others to keep trying to sort it out for themselves.

What percentage of people do you think are ‘successful’- having lost weight and gained cardio and strength?

It isn’t possible to answer such a question.

5:2 evolved after research to see if IF could reverse T2 diabetes and lower cancer risk markers. The weight loss was coincidental and it has now developed into a huge weight loss tool as Michael Mosley realised it could be an easier way for many to lose weight for many as it doesn’t involve daily caloric restriction, no special foods or exclusions, and doesn’t cost anything apart from some willpower.

The majority of those who embark on it want to lose weight. For some that is all they want and others want to reap the perceived health benefits. Fitness is not always a priority.
    There are also a percentage of people who fast for health reasons rather than weight loss.

So I can’t agree with your definition of what is successful, but I will say that for me it means losing weight, healthy eating habits, increasing health and fitness levels followed by maintaining the weight loss and the lifestyle gains.

mvstory, I think 5:2 is so appealing because it is simple to follow and it does provide weigh reduction and some health benefits. I’m not convinced that it’s the limited fasting but rather the weight reduction that is responsible for the health benefits. I do believe that more restrictive or longer fasting can have profound health benefits. Like most other “diets” long term compliance is poor. There are however a core group of folks on here that have great long term success.

I’ve kept off at least 50 lbs for 17 years and I’m presently down 79 lbs from my max weight. My reason for fasting is health oriented. I’ve lost weight on just about any plan that reduces calories. I do water fasts and I’m very careful about the quality of foods that I eat on NFD’s. (But I eat plenty!)

I agree with amazon that most folks on here do not exercise. Or at least exercise in a more intense way than walking etc. There are some of us that do workout hard. I do HIIT on a spin bike and lift the old fashioned iron four days a week. I believe that what and when we eat is very important but just a part of the total health equation along with exercise, sleep, solar exposure, limiting toxins etc.

Hello mvstorey and welcome to the forum. It’s good to know that you haven’t been on a water fast for many years! Although that would be interesting.

To be honest, I was tempted here by noticing diverdog’s name rather than the subject heading but, now that I am here, I’m fascinated to read Amazon’s response (hello Amazon, nice to see you as well; not long until that fabulous holiday!) that about 50% of the losers here practice water fasting. I must have had my head in the sand all this time, I had no idea.

I’ve only ever practiced a 24 hour fast in preparation for a holiday and that sometimes included the time spent on long-haul air travel since I felt I wasn’t missing much but declining airline food. Purists would probably argue that it wasn’t a water fast because I would allow myself 20 cals in almond & coconut milk for two coffees during that 24 hour period but nothing else but water.

Anyway mv, I consider myself ‘successful’. I lost 23kgs which I’ve kept off for 29 months (a record in itself). I rigidly adhere to 5:2 or 6:1 while overseas and have never skipped a FD. I spent decades in gyms, can’t stand them and now just walk 5-10kms per day apart from occasional kayaking and so on. I like to think there are health benefits in the form of cell repair from fasting – it keeps me going on a FD. I also agree with diverdog that’s it’s hard to differentiate between the benefits from fasting and the weight loss itself.

It is a mystery to me why people suddenly stop fasting. When they return to these pages, they often lament how much weight they lost while fasting, how much they’ve gained since they stopped, say they know it works, etc etc and then give an explanation why they stopped which never really seem like good reasons to me given what we learn along the way about this being a way of life and the need to eat for our new weight. I listen carefully to these people because I am fearful of waking up one morning and thinking I no longer want or need to do this. I hope not. This is my fourth year.

Thanks Amazon and Diverdog
    Seems like a very holistic perspective that you all have, appreciate your time in replying.
    It’s great to see such a simple concept being used in a balanced way.
    cheers for now

thin,

50% might be a bit generous, but not everyone talks about what they eat (or not) on FDs. I’ve noticed is that the majority of male fasters seem to prefer water fasting and quite a few people practice B2B water fasts.

I’m in the process of making my FDs food free as compliance is still an issue and I’ve just completed B2B with a splash of milk in teas and coffees and lots of water. I don’t think I could cope with water only fasts in the middle of winter.

It’s 4.40am here and I’m up watching Australian Open tennis

Hi thinatlast
    that certainly is successful, as is your perseverance in never missing a FD!!

I find a 24-36 hour fast day per week or two is very beneficial in weight loss but also in toxin removal, as I can tell from the next day or two which sometimes is gunky or alternatively feeling really good- depending on how I was the day before the fast.

I don’t think there is any reason to differentiate between lower weight and fasting providing the benefits as long as the process is working who cares?!

This is a fascinating forum and would be great to get some good data from it, but perhaps it is best to just let the forum flow along naturally and people will get the benefits that they can from it rather than getting too scientific about specifics. Everyone is different and we need to respond to the needs of the environment we are in. Perhaps thinatlast you will need to skip a fast day in the future, but you obviously know where to come back when you need to!
    cheers for now

Amazon
    Not sure what B@B is- bed to bed? 24 hour?

Back to back ie consecutive day fasting 🙂

Amazon – did you mean that you have compliance issues on FDs because you tend eat too much when some food is involved or that you’re still in the process of trying to practice water fasting because you find it hard to comply with not eating anything? Sorry, I’ve probably made it less clear now.

mv, no I suppose it matters not. Other than when I wake up and momentarily don’t feel like fasting, the one thing that keeps me motivated is that the absence of food could be doing me some good other than just losing weight.

I forgot to say, when boasting about never skipping a FD, that NFDs remain a work in progress. I am still the same person I always was wrt food but now I have a few more tools to deal with it.

All the best anyway.

I meant that once I start eating I don’t want to stop so no food is the obvious answer.

Hi Amazon – I like that last comment about not wanting to stop eating once you start. That and the fact that eating a little makes me more hungry than not eating at all for the rest of the FD is why I am trying the no food on fasting days approach. 1st FD completed at noon today and pleased to say I managed to stretch it out to 42hrs. Felt great untill I started to eat again and felt a little queasy but it passed after an hour or so. Next FD starts after tea on Wednesday till lunch time Friday hopefully!

When I was doing a true 5:2 eating <600 calories what I ate had a big effect on hunger. If I ate high fat, moderate protein, low carb no hunger issues. If I ate mostly carb calories I was hungry.

I switched to water fasting because I wanted to get into strong ketosis during the 35-40 hour fast. I found by measuring blood ketones that if I didn’t eat any calories and did 1/2 hour of light exercising on the morning of the fast I was burning 3x more fat.

That’s a considerable difference diverdog, isn’t it?

I do eat on FDs, aim for 350 calories but if I go to 450 I don’t worry since I’m no longer trying to lose weight. Agree with others – once I start eating, it awakens the hunger dragon. So I have my first intake after 2pm, the second at 5pm and that’s it for the day unless I feel really hungry before bedtime, then I’ll have a boiled egg or half a banana.

I’d like to try water fasting as a regular thing. Makes more sense than eating on a ‘fast’ day!

Thinatlast, it’s a big difference. I want to train my body to be able to switch to burning fat as rapidly as possible. I tried doing a five day fast at <600 calories and it took 3 1/2 days to reach the same fat burning level as I hit in a 35 hour water fast. When I added another 24 hours to the 35 hour water fast the fat burning measured by blood ketones went up and additional 3 times!

thanks diverdog, interesting stuff

mvstorey I reached a point where calorie restriction wasn’t working for me. I wasn’t gaining weight but I was losing muscle mass and getting fatter. In my case cutting added refined sugar way back and eating more resulted in fat loss and weight loss. There is a lot more involved than just calories, although younger people tend to do better with calorie restriction. Calories from refined sugar seem to impact me greatly compared to calories from things like nuts, cheese or even fruit.

When I started fasting I started putting back on muscle mass. It was hard at first to work out while fasting but my body adapted and now it is easier than working out while feed. I think fasting has greatly improved my hormonal health.

I typically do two 36 hour water fasts a week. My body fat bounces between about 17% to 20% so I could afford to lose more. When I’m not fasting I tend to eat a lot, but I lean heavy on fruits and vegetables. Refined sugar is something I still mostly avoid because even having desert a few days in a row tends to start putting the fat back on. I just have a low tolerance to refined sugar. I do eat carbs, but probably less than what most people around me do. I avoid breads but eat rice and noodles.

Personally I know 20 years ago calorie restriction worked well for me. Now it doesn’t. People are different and people also change over time. My two teenagers easily consume double the calories I do and yet they are both very lean. It isn’t just one factor, it is a combination of factors. I’m not on any medication, but I consider water fasting a very powerful drug and it causes profound changes in my health. Mostly positive changes.

My main problem with calorie restriction is it causes me to feel profoundly hungry. When I water fast I do feel some hunger but it is very mild. Unlike many, I find just eating a little is unacceptable unless I’m sick. However I’m fine just not eating at all. I just don’t have that middle ground where I could eat 600 calories on a fasting day.

This week I’ve fasted without eating. I have a splash of milk in my morning tea and mid-morning coffee and drink approx 75mls of milk kefir which I have in the evening. I have found it so much easier than having 500 calories which were split between milk/kefir calories and a single early eveing meal.
    I did 3 consecutive days on S/M/Tu due to this weeks social arrangements and was very surprised at the lack of hunger pangs. On W I found myself unable to eat as much as I would usually have on a non FD. I fasted again yesterday and today all I’ve had is tea and coffee and I’m not hungry yet. It would seem that this might be the answer to my compliance issues but it’s early days yet.

I eat less carbs than before. I’ve not been a huge consumer of processed carbs for many years and I cook from scratch 99% of the time. When I have bread, the occasional helping of rice or some cake I’m definitely hungrier the next day and if I have too much in the way of carbs I feel bloated and lethargic which makes it easier (most of the time) to limit them.

I agree that it is definitely not just a case of how many calories but which food group they come from.

Hi, Amazon! I have the same problem. If I eat, I want to keep eating. I am new to all of this, so right now I am on an every other day 24 hour fast. I don’t seem to have any hunger on fast days. I do have a problem with what to eat when breaking the fast. I’ve started to pre-write down what I want to eat on non fast days, so it will be healthy and not overdone. I want to lose weight but I also want the health benefits. I’ve seen Dr. Mosley’s BBC documentary and found it interesting. I also researched the health benefits extensively and hope I am on the right path!

Hi Dydask and Amazon
    Sounds like you are both having fun with fasting, I have been doing one day here and there for about 40 years and find it very beneficial.
    I also find that not eating for 16 hours (from 6pm to 10am) very useful in keeping the weight off and reducing hunger. This gives me 8 hours to eat food from 10am to 6pm and although I eat a lot in this time I don’t think it is as much as when I started eating at 7am.
    My understanding is that our bodies fluctuate with the seasons and some times I need to fast for a few days or a week at the time of season change (spring or autumn) as the fat in my body is moving from the skin (where it was keeping me warm in winter) to the internal organs so that the skin can give off heat easier. In autumn the process is reversed as the body puts more fat into the skin. In the process any toxins stored in the fat is also mobile in the blood and this causes reactions such as pimples or sore throat or the common cold and lack of appetite and if we listen to our body and we don’t eat and get extra rest then the body will remove the toxins and use the mobilized fat as the energy supply.
    Regular water fasting should help to remove the fat and its accompanying toxins, however using coffee and tea seems counter productive as they are toxins in their own right and it seems likely that the body will just use it’s energy to remove these rather than the other toxins.
    Our fat reserves are there to provide energy in times of need.
    If we tell our body that there will be long periods of starvation (such as a fad diet) then the body will take the first opportunity to pile on the fat as a buffer to future restrictions.
    The 5:2 diet however is not a long term stressor on the body and it seems to work so well because it tells the body that all it needs is sufficient fat reserves to provide for a short period of time with low calories. The body then resets its benchmark and lowers the amount of fat reserves- and we loose weight to a more reasonable level. (that is my theory anyway!)
    I think however that total fasting for one or two days a week or not eating for 16 hours a day is easier than trying to reduce the carbs.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply.