The Basics for Newbies – Your Questions Answered!

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
The Basics for Newbies – Your Questions Answered!

This topic contains 537 replies, has 177 voices, and was last updated by  Kay-50kg.goal 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 546 total)

• Hello,have just completed my first week on 5:2 and have found it really easy so far. I am tracking my calories on my fitness pal which seems to be going ok. Not sure if I have lost anything as yet…probably too early to tell…my measurements haven’t changed but I feel thinner if that makes any sense. I’m eating just under my TDEE,not by design just seems to be working out that way. Hopefully will see the benefits in the near future…

hi Milena, yes it is a lot, but his work is so physical. As for putting on weight this is the first time he has in his life, Dr put it down to giving up smokeing 12 mths ago, he put on about 10 km in that year – apparently your metabolism changes. In the 20 years ive know him he has never eaten breakfast, relies on smoko and dinner and a few beers. Thankyou for your response.

Hi sally and welcome:

If your husband will not diet on weekends and is afraid he will not get enough food during the week if he does two diet days during the week, this may not be the diet for him. It can be done, but not if he ‘can’t’ do it.

One possible thought is to redo his TDEE using one lower exercise level than you used (the highest exercise level, for instance, is only for someone training for the Olympics in swimming, which your husband is not), and then taking 25% of that TDEE number for use on his two diet days. This may give him more than 600 calories for each diet day and make it easier for him to at least try to diet two days a week. His weight loss will be slower, but that may be better than gaining weight.

Good Luck!

Hi guys,

I have just started fasting for the first time last week..I fasted on Monday and Wednesday last week. My weight on Monday morning was 51.7 kgs and on Thursday morning after my fast I was 51.4 kgs, I am also combining my fasting with the HIT exercise 3 times a week. However when I got on the scale this morning I was weighing 52.7kgs….. How is it possible that I have put on more than I started with?

Please any info or help will be greatly appreciated šŸ™‚ x

Hi zimbos and welcome:

Please read the ‘Warnings’ post linked in the post that started this thread (the first page, first post). It answers your question (and many more).

Good Luck!

zimbos22 and mulac,

Keep up the good work! You’re making the right steps, in the right direction.

I’m one hundred days into my first time with the 5:2, and have had some weeks where I dropped a lot and some where nothing much happened. Some days I gain weight, but now I know that’s okay because I have the bigger picture, with more data from more days than what you have when you’re just starting out.

Iā€™ve lost 11.8 pounds so far.

Iā€™m thrilled with this result. In the past, I would have felt this process was too slow and that I couldnā€™t stand to ā€œdietā€ this long. But 5:2 doesnā€™t require the constant vigilance and manic attention to calories as my old diets didā€“and even though Iā€™m 100 days in, Iā€™m not sick of doing it. (And of course, the number of days when I restricted my eating wasnā€™t 100, it was only 28.)

I use the WeightBot app on my iPhone to track my weight, and weigh myself daily. I like having the full array of data, so that on the days when my weight is 3 pounds more than it was the day before, I can look backwards and see that this variation occurred before. It doesnā€™t mean the trend of my weight is going up . A three-pound jump is just an anomaly, one of those variables that happen along the way. In fact, I no longer think of myself as having a target weight that is one single numeral. Instead, if I want my weight to be 152, the target is to have my weight inside the range of 150 to 154.

WeightBot gives you some statistics on how youā€™re doing. So it tells me that using the 5:2 method, over 100 days Iā€™ve lost an average of .1 pounds per day; .8 pounds per week; and an average of 3.6 pounds per month. (.04 kg per day; .36 kg per week; 1.6 kg per month.)

Yes, Iā€™ve gotten frustrated along the way, or tired, or impatient. But since I gained the weight a pound or two a month over a long period of time, Iā€™m proud to have totally reversed that trend. Iā€™m losing the weight slowly but very, very reliably. The data shows it. And I feel it, too.

can i fast 7pm til 7pm?

so i could eat what i want before 7pm and then only 500cals until 7pm next day

and then eat what i want after the second 7pm?

any help appreciated

Hi ping and welcome:

You can do whatever you want, but if you want to do 5:2, then 7 to 7 is not it.

This thread explains how to do 5:2, and answers most questions that come up about it. What you want to do is a standard cut calories every day diet. You will only lose weight doing what you describe if you count your calories each day, and the amount you lose will depend on how many fewer calories than your TDEE you eat on a weekly basis. If you think about what you are asking, you could easily eat over your TDEE each of the two days – before 7 on one day and after 7 the next – and not lose any weight at all, or even gain weight.

You might check the ‘5:2 Calorie Restriction’ link in the main post that started this thread.

Good Luck!

Hi:

In my 3 Aug 15 post on this thread I addressed dietary fats and oils and pointed out that vegetable oils were not all that ‘healthy’. It now turns out that if you cook with vegetable oils, you are creating byproducts that increase cancer, heart disease and dementia: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/11/09/study-finds-that-vegetable-oils-pose-health-risks-in-cooking.html

Many fast food chains used to fry their French fries in beef fat. Bowing to pressure from the no saturated fat in the diet group, the food chains began frying their French fries in the more healthy alternative – vegetable oil.

I wonder if the chains will return to the more healthy (and better tasting) beef fat any time soon?

I’ll stick with rapeseed oil and olive oil. I haven’t used vegetable or corn oil for years.

Hi Simcoeluv,

You have a wealth of valuable information! So good!

Have you seen the documentary on “The Truth about Cancer.” Ty Bolinger. I am sure you would enjoy watching them.

Also, I am on day 2 of the Fast Day. Hoping and desiring to keep this up for life!

Do you fast 5:2? How many years have you being doing this? And what are your results? Just curious and love learning from others.

Hi run and welcome:

I have not seen ‘The Truth about Cancer’. Many cancers are dietary based, so I suspect that is covered somewhere in there.

I use 5:2 when I want to lose weight I am down 40 pounds and have maintained that loss for about 10 months now. I’ll be going back on 5:2 in a month or so to lose some more.

Good Luck!

Hi:

It seems almost everyone thinks fruits and vegetables are good for everyone. Large scale surveys have shown that people that eat a lot of fruits and veggies have less cancer and other disease. However, no research has shown that the fruits and veggies actually cause the decrease of disease. Actually, it is becoming more likely that the people that eat a lot of fruits and veggies eat less sugar and processed carbs. It seems if you eat less poison you get less sick.

We have known that some fruits and veggies cause intestinal upset and increase the distress of IBS. Research has shown that is most likely the cause of the FODMAPS in the fruits and veggies. But there has been little research on the effects of various fruits and veggies on the human body. That kind of research is just starting.

A recent study showed a strong link between eating citrus fruit and melanoma: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/06/30/citrus-fruit-linked-with-melanoma-in-preliminary-study.html

A very interesting recent study that looked at low GI foods showed that individuals reacted very differently to the same foods. One lady that historically had trouble losing weight found that her blood sugar spiked as much as eating sugar – by eating tomatoes. http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/11/27/healthy-diets-may-not-be-one-size-fits-all.html

And a recent eye opening review including Australian and German studies found that some women following vegetarian diets have a high risk of mental health problems like depression, panic and obsessive compulsive behavior: http://www.womenshealthmag.com/food/side-effects-of-vegetarianism

For thousands of years humans ate a diet that consisted of lots of fat, some protein and a few carbs. Starting in the 60s and 70s the diet mix changed in many societies to a diet that was just the opposite. The resulting obesity epidemic with accompanying increases in diabetes, heart disease and cancer has caused a rethink of the low fat dietary advice that has been dogma for decades. One could suggest that a return to eating the ‘old fashion way’ might be in order.

This is where 5:2 comes in because it works regardless of what you choose to eat. If you feel fat is bad, you will eat less of it two days a week. If carbs are terrible, then for two days you may not eat any. And even if the diet you choose as the healthiest for you turns out to be the worst possible, 5:2 will improve it by limiting its consumption two days a week!

Good Luck!

Hi:

The term ā€˜fat burning modeā€™ seems to be used fairly often on this site. It is an interesting term. It seems to imply the body has a state in which it burns fat. The term is usually used in the context that it is important that the body get into this fat burning mode in order to lose weight or lose weight more quickly. It is usually used by people that believe that to get into this fat burning mode you must not eat for a period of time ā€“ like 16 or 19 or some other period of hours. The implication here is that if you donā€™t have this period of not eating, you will ā€˜burnā€™ little or no fat compared to if you do get into the mode.

In looking at standard diets, you will see there are no required periods of not eating. The DASH Diet, which again this year was voted in the U.S. by the ā€˜topā€™ nutritionists as the ā€˜bestā€™ diet, and which is a perfect example of the low fat diet, has people eating six or more times a day. The Atkins diet allows people to eat as much fat and protein as they want as often as they want. And the Weight Watchers diet allows snacking at any time as long as people stay within their ā€˜pointsā€™. Nevertheless, people following all of these diets will lose weight. And, most of the weight they lose is fat weight. So it seems the bodyā€™s ā€˜fat burning modeā€™ starts without any defined period of not eating.

I believe at least some of the people that believe in the ā€˜fat burning modeā€™ may be confusing the ā€˜modeā€™ with the concept of ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic state where most of the body’s energy supply comes from ketone bodies in the blood generated by the burning of fat, in contrast to a state of glycolysis where blood glucose provides most of the energy. Ketosis basically means the body is mostly running on fat. A body can get ā€˜intoā€™ ketosis by either fasting, in which case the body is running on its own fat, or eating a high fat moderate protein very low carb diet for a period of time, in which case the body is running on fat from the food being eaten. Science has shown that while the brain, in particular, prefers running on sugar, it actually seems to run as well or better on ketones from fat.

It takes some time for the body to get into a ā€˜ketosis modeā€™. Research shows the progression is like this when water fasting, remembering that along the way the body is burning more and more fat (adapting to burning fat) to make up the caloric deficit being experienced by the body and that every body is different so the time frames do not apply exactly to every person. First, the body uses blood sugar generated by the last meal. This takes about six hours. Second, the body starts burning glycogen stores. It takes about 24 to 48 hours to burn through these. Third, the body starts burning protein ā€“ muscle. This is because the body has not yet fully switched over to burning fat, and protein is easier for the body to utilize for energy than fat at this point in the cycle. This is not an ideal situation, however, because if the body were to continue burning muscle it would die – because it would eat up the bodyā€™s major muscle, the heart. This muscle burning mode can last up to 14 days. Finally, the body gets into ketosis, where a majority of its energy is coming from burning fat. This usually happens within about three days (think 51% of the bodyā€™s energy coming from fat). The reason muscle continues to be burned is twofold. First, even though the body has entered ketosis the body is still adapting to burning fat instead of sugar, so is still ramping up its fat burning – for obvious reasons because it does not want to burn more muscle than necessary. It isnā€™t until about 14 days that the body is getting a very large majority of its energy from fat. Muscle is being burned in the meantime to augment the increasing calories coming from fat. Second, the body cannot live without the nutrients in protein, so it will always burn muscle to get those nutrients, although at a much slower pace than when it first started using muscles for energy. This is why people on diets never see that only fat is burned ā€“ they always experience some muscle loss.

This process illustrates several interesting things about diet. It illustrates why a high fat, moderate protein and low carb diet mirrors what the body eats when in its basic survival mode. It is not an unhealthy diet, it is a natural one. It also shows that carbs of any kind are unnecessary for the body to function properly. The body only stores about a two day supply of sugar (carbs), and the reason is to supply quick energy if it is necessary to chase down an animal for food or run from someone or something trying to kill and/or eat it. The longest documented medically supervised water fast lasted for over 54 weeks, and the guy remained healthy for all of that time without eating even one gram of carbs of any kind. He was, however, constantly eating fat and protein. There is nothing wrong with natural carbs, but it is hard to understand why people would base an eating plan on food unnecessary for human health (carbs) and try to cut or eliminate foods which, if not provided, will cause the body to die (fat and protein).

This all shows that the key to burning the most body fat is the restriction of caloric intake, not time between meals. The body just does not burn that much more fat in 16 hours than it does while you are sleeping. There is no reason to go clock watching so you can burn more fat or lose weight more quickly.

The less you eat, the more fat you burn!

P.S. Sorry for the length, but Iā€™m on day 9 of a 10 day water fast and have nothing else to do.

Goodness simcoeluv, that is a long time. How is your shrinkage going?

Hi annette:

I’m down 11 pounds in 8 days. Some of course is water weight and loss of ‘food in transit’ which will be quickly regained when I resume eating. The average loss a person can expect is about a pound a day or a little less.

I’m not doing it for weight loss, although that is welcome, but sort of as an experiment. I had a check up recently and my blood pressure, while OK, was higher than I want it to be. Dr. Goldhamer’s research indicated longer water fasts significantly dropped blood pressure levels, so I’m trying it out to see if it will apply to me. It won’t be an apples to apples comparison because his research took blood pressures at the end of the fast, and I won’t be checking mine for another three weeks (I couldn’t do a 10 day fast over Christmas, with all of the dinners and functions I go to). But it will be interesting to see what, if any, changes occur.

Hi Annette:

The rest of the story. My fast ended with a total of 13 pounds lost in 10 days. I changed my BP test to a couple of days after the fast ended and the systolic number (top number) went down 14 points, with the diastolic falling proportionately. I’m now about where I want to be and have confirmed that the research is correct, at least for me!

Hi:

One of the common questions from newbies is ‘What do I eat on diet days?”

My standard answer is that as long as they stay within the calorie limits of 500/600, they can eat any food they want. I go on to observe that many people find that eating one evening meal that is high in fat and protein works best.

There are a reasons for that answer. First, if you eat any carbs, but especially processed carbs like toast, cereal or any sugar, even sugar in fruit, as most newbies do, you will get hungry. And if you eat them in the morning, you will be hungry all day. What they don’t understand is that not eating anything will actually result in less hunger than eating carbs will. The second reason is that many people have trouble sleeping after their diet days. I have addressed why in my post of 13 Dec 14 on this thread, but in short eating that kind of meal lessens the chance of a sleepless night.

In my ‘Warnings’ thread, I suggest a newbie focus on doing their diet days correctly for at least a month. It takes the body about a month to get used to the radical change in eating pattern that 5:2 requires. And focusing on doing the diet days correctly also hastens the ‘learning process’ that 5:2 brings. By that I mean the seemingly magic change in eating habits that people all over this and other sites report. They pay more attention to what they are eating on non diet days, they change their food choices, often toward eating less sugar and fewer other carbs. They learn that skipping a meal or two is not only OK, but it often makes them feel better, too. (It is amazing how many people believe that missing a meal is not only unhealthy, but actually dangerous!)

Given the above, my next suggestion is sometimes viewed as radical, especially by newbies. I believe that once a person has done four consecutive weeks of proper diet days, their next goal should be to have all of their diet days be water fasts. My experience and observation has been that if you do that, your learning process will speed up even further. And, you will start seeing better weight loss results because you will be cutting an additional 1000/1200 cal. from your diet each week without adding another diet day or affecting how much you eat on your non diet days. Finally, water fasting lowers insulin levels in the blood much more than if you just eat ‘less’, and there are long term benefits to lowering insulin levels!

Then you can start playing around with water fasting if you get that far, and if you want to. Two water fasting days in a row are still 5:2. And if you can do that, and are interested in going further, you are gaining experience. Current research shows that doing 4 or 5 day water fasts every one to three months is extremely healthy and beneficial. Such fasts are certainly not for everyone, but if you want to and can do them they seem to provide the ‘other health benefits’ that many people hope they get with 5:2, but which it is unproven they will get with 5:2 at this time.

Good Luck!

Hi Folks – I’m taking the plunge and starting tomorrow. I’ve never missed a meal in my life and am feeling a bit of trepidation, but I’ll be turning 54 in a week and want to be HEALTHY! I’ve never been “fat”, but am feeling very flabby – this menopause thing is for the birds!
    Does anyone want to buddy me through the first few weeks? I feel I will need some support. If you’re starting too, let me know.
    Wish me luck!

Hi Dinah and welcome:

I think many people start something new around the start of a new year. This way of eating will teach you, if you let it, that missing a meal is no big deal. It will also teach you many other things that cannot be easily explained – but become obvious after you do 5:2 correctly for a month or two.

Focus first on doing your two diet days correctly each week – 500 or fewer calories each diet day – and other things will fall into place. Give 5:2 time to work – you cannot judge results after a week or two – or four.

If you read the initial post on this thread, and/or a few of the other links, you will be prepared for what might (will?) happen along your journey. But if you just keep going, next year at this time you will be a very happy person.

Good Luck!

Hi

After losing 30 kg with My Fitness Pal over most of 2012, and then regaining it all over the last 3 years I’ve been looking to see if I could find an eating plan that would work for me long term. I’d already set myself a number of goals to reach by the end of 2017 (not just weight related – a number of other things as well), so coming across 5:2 again (after considering it a few times before) I decided that it was something I could live with long term so tomorrow is my first reduced calorie day!

I have an auto-immune problem (arthritis) as well as raised blood pressure and other not very good health measures, so it’s as much about improving those issues as it is about losing weight – although of course the two are pretty much inextricably linked! My GP and rheumatologist will both be delighted! Looking forward to getting started and seeing the results. My spreadsheet and graph are all set up and ready to go – yes, I like to see my progress on a regular basis.

Hi Christine and welcome:

Fasting will cure some auto-immune and other problems. 5:2 is not fasting, but it will introduce you to what it is. Start with 5:2, do some research, keep going with 5:2, and see what happens. You never know unless and until you try.

Good Luck!

Hi all newbies:

I suggest all newbies look around the forum and not get fixated on one thread. There is much information on the site that is missed if only one or two threads are reviewed. Checking the ‘Recent Posts’ section in the ‘Forum’ group (above) will allow you to learn much more than if you confine yourselves to just one thread. Also, look at ‘Active Topics’ and ‘Most Popular’ to see what other information is available on the site (like recipes). Finally, there is a ‘search’ function’ (upper right of the page) to allow you to look up a topic you might be interested in.

About a year ago I posted the following. I think it is still good information.

“My observation is there are a couple of things most people starting a weight loss diet do not appreciate, and unless they gain an appreciation of these things, they will be unsuccessful.

First, it will take quite a bit of time to lose the weight you want to lose. If you donā€™t appreciate this you will quit before you reach your goal and ā€˜failā€™. While initial weight loss on any diet can be dramatic, over time it is hard to lose much more than one to one and a half pounds a week. That means to lose 50 pounds, you can count on dieting for about a year. If you are not prepared for this, you may be doomed from the start.

Second, the number of calories necessary to maintain your ideal weight is very small compared to what you have been eating. To see what I mean, figure out the TDEE for your ideal weight (see the TDEE link number 4). That will be the average number of calories that you must stay at to not regain any weight you have lost. Forever. That is why it is common to hear you must change the way you eat. If you donā€™t, you may lose some weight, but you will gain it right back and more.

These are sad truths that, if not understood, will cause you to fail in your weight loss efforts.”

I wish all of you newbies Good Luck!

Hi all:

Well, the experts in the US have spoken and determined the best diets available. 5:2 is close to the bottom (32 of 38 – tied with the ‘Body Reset’ diet), and barely beating out Atkins, raw food, Paleo and Dukan. I thought the number 21 diet, the ABS diet, was interesting. While the experts have decreed ABS to be much better than 5:2, they took issue with the companyā€™s claim that dieters can drop up to 12 pounds of belly fat in two weeks and questioned the evidence behind some of its tactics.

The US can be ‘expert driven’, and this may explain why 5:2 is not all that popular in the US. Countering that, of course, is the fact the Atkins diet is the most popular diet in the US – so coming in ahead of Atkins may suggest 5:2 has a chance! Anyway, if 5:2 is not your cup of tea, according to the experts here are many better alternatives: http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/weightloss/the-38-best-diets-overall/ss-AAgnZrP?ocid=spartanntp#image=22

Good Luck!

I have been doing a modified 5:2 diet for 4 months. I stop eating at 8pm on Sunday nights and won’t eat a regular meal till Wednesday lunch time. On Monday’s & Tuesday’s I will have a spinach/kale & apple juice in the morning and an egg (omelet) & yogurt in the evenings. I feel good. However, I was just thinking it can’t be good to break a 64 hour fast with a full regular lunch meal. I will sometimes have a glass of wine + Chinese food with rice or Indian food with rice. I can’t imagine this is good for you. Wouldn’t such a big meal shock the body and cause all kinds of long term problems.

Hi stankaps:

I am aware that long term water fasters sometimes eat a modified diet after their fasts are over. It seems to vary by the faster. Post fast meals often include juice and then fruits and veggies, sometimes a day or two of special eating for each week of fasting.

Your ‘fasts’ are for two days and are not water fasts – you are eating every day. However, if you feel there are potential long term problems because of ‘meal shock’, you should not do what you are doing and should modify it to something you are more comfortable with. Or stop what you are doing altogether.

It is totally up to you.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I’ve inadvertently stumbled onto 5:2 after deciding to make a decision to lose weight and I’d say I would have hit my 600 calorie intake had I not had a chocolcate bar to snack on last night!

When you have completed your two day fast and revert to your normal calorie intake, don’t you put back the calories on that you lost during your fasts?

Is there a website online I can accurately note my calorie intake?

Secondly, if I was to fast from when I brush my teeth in the evening, around 10.30pm to the same time the following day, would that suffice or do I need to do it longer?

I’m aiming to try to eat healthily during my fast days which I will designate during the working week as I don’t tend to eat much anyway.

Thanks!

Hi Silent:

First, from a 5:2 standpoint, each week you can diet two days in a row, or two non consecutive days. From a time standpoint, you actually diet longer with non consecutive days than you do with consecutive days.

As the post that started this thread indicates, you eat 5/600 cal. or less on your diet days and to your TDEE or less on non diet days. That means that you will not ‘put back the calories on that you lost’. Of course, that really is up to you – if you overeat on your non diet days you will indeed mitigate or erase the caloric reduction caused by the two diet days and lose more slowly or not lose weight at all.

Many people record their calories on gizmos they purchase. I think there is something called My Fitness Pal on line that will help you keep track of the calories you eat. And, of course, there is the old fashioned way of just figuring out how many calories are in the food you are eating, either from books or on line, and writing them on paper. Pretty much all calorie counting is really just estimating, because you will find different sources of calories in foods give different numbers for the same food, and portion sizes make a big difference – like how many calories are in a potato – small, medium or large – and what do small, medium and large mean, anyway? I think many of the electronic calculators make people too sure they are eating whatever the number is that comes up, and that leads to some wrong decisions along the way.

Again, the initial post in this thread explains 5:2. Your 10:30 to 10:30 example is not 5:2. Assuming you ate normally before 10:30 pm I guess it would depend on how much you ate in the subsequent 24 hours and how much you ate after 10:30 pm the following day. If you ate 600 cal. or less in the 24 hour period and then went to bed and did not eat until waking, you would be doing 5:2. But if you ate a large meal after 10:30 you would simply be on an every day reduced calorie diet. I am told that the Fast Diet book gave the 24 hour diet as an alternative if a person couldn’t do 5:2, and some people report it works for them. My observation is that most people that try the 24 hour diet don’t stick with it long and go on to their next new diet.

Every person has their own definition of what ‘eating healthy’ means. My observation is that if a person focuses on doing their diet days correctly, they many times, over time, change the types of foods they are eating to types they personally feel are more healthy for them.

Good Luck!

Great post thank you x

Can I have caffeine on my fasting days? Black coffee? x

Hi Sar and welcome:

You can eat/drink anything you want on your diet days as long as you stay within the 5/600 cal. limit.

Good Luck!

oh great, thank you. I tried it the other week but just did one fasting day then got scared and looked into perhaps following a fuelled set with lifting weights etc,but then saw my friend today who has lost a stone on this and she looks amazing. If i can lose a stone by May i would be so happy. If i could lose 1/2 stone by my birthday march the 18th i wold be happy, i just need to trust it works and its not damaging my health or metabolism as I first thought x

Hi Sar:

My 15 sep 14 post on this thread has a link to a clinical study that found a form of 5:2 (there are an unlimited number of 5:2 variations) safe and effective as a weight loss method.

I don’t know what you mean when you say you fear damaging your metabolism. It is what it is and won’t change with 5:2 – unless you mean your TDEE, which will decline as you lose weight.

Good Luck!

Thankyou. I have seen the stone my friend has lost and I’m really excited about doing the sand over the next 12 weeks hopefully . I just have to push through work with the headache and dizziness but remember I can eat properly again the next day hey ā˜€ļø. I just want to feel nice and healthy and less flabby on my thighs and tummy for my holiday in 14 weeks . A stone would be ideal

Sarah

Hi simcoeluv

Do you still have the links , that can be posted again here? thank you again x

Hi Sar:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3017674/

I’m curious – why couldn’t you reach the link? Are you unfamiliar with how to navigate in the forum, or did you find it missing?

The headache is a common early complaint, and the cure is in the post that started this thread – page one. Go just below the last post on this page, or just above the first post on the page, see the 1-7, and hit 1. That will get you to the first post. Then you will see the posts are in date order.

Good Luck!

Hi there

Sorry I did find it in the end, I am very new to the posting in this forum.

I think with the headaches just need to keep drinking the water and push through it.

I going to try the fast tomorrow, I’m really looking forward to the weight loss

Sarah

Hi All
    my first day today and I’m excited to have a life plan that makes sense to me and I believe something that will work for my lifestyle too. My question is this: is there a website that will detail the calories in basic food which are not processed. ie a banana will have x calories per 100grams and a cucumber will have x calories per 100grams. I need something like that so in the mornings I can grab this or that and easily find the calorie content so I can monitor the food I eat. I’m about to go get one of the books so I have recipes for the evening meals and lunches.
    Thanks in anticipation.

Hi lee and welcome:

The easiest is to just go to Google and type in ‘calories in banana’ or whatever and it comes up. Myfitness pal has what you want, and if you Google ‘calorie counters’ you will get a long list.

Remember, whatever number you come up with is just an estimate. It will be in the ballpark but not precise.

Good Luck!

Oh thats great thank you simcoeluv. Of course I should have thought of that, Google knows everything!
    I’ll have a look now.
    Cheers

Hi Lee, the calories counts on many foods per 100g are listed in the 5:2 book, very helpful!

Where would I find the android app please?

Hi Marie:

I am not aware of an android app for 5:2 – oft requested, never answered.

If including proteins (eggs, meat) in the fast day menu, does it matter what part of the day you eat them?

It was suggested to me by a friend that proteins should only be eaten in the early part of the day.

Hi Elika and welcome:

It matters not when you eat any food during your diet days. However, many find one evening meal high in fat and moderate protein works best.

You might read my 12 Dec 15 post above on this page for more information.

Good Luck!

I use olive oil and butter for most browning;

So what should I use as a general oil for frying or high heat cooking, ie. Brown then lover temp and bake?

I’ve never figured it out and actually gone to Kraft Zesty Italian and bake at F500 degree fr almost all baked deep fried veggies

Hi Quiet:

Cooking is one of my hobbies. As in the carb world, the best fats to eat and cook with are natural, not processed. For high heat, either lard or beef fat are excellent – depends on taste and what is being cooked. I remember my mom buying tubs of lard at the grocery store for her cooking and baking and wonder if tubs of lard will reappear on shelves any time soon! I also use a lot of bacon fat.

I understand that after decades of being brainwashed into thinking fats, especially saturated fats, are bad, even deadly, it is hard to get your head around using lard or beef fat for cooking. However, the science has always been there and over the last few years has reemerged to remind humans they were designed to eat all natural fats and eating those fats is not dangerous.

You may have run into Dr. Fung’s lectures on this site. He did a series of six on diet and nutrition. They are excellent because he actually researched his topics and cites many very credible research papers in support of his positions. This video (number 6) outlines the science on dietary fat as of the date of the lecture – it has progressed since then, with no contrary information coming to light. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QetsIU-3k7Y. You might be surprised to learn that after age 65, the higher your cholesterol the longer you live, and vice versa. And before then, the lower your cholesterol the quicker you die.

Some of my general thoughts on dietary fat are in my 3 Aug 15 post on page 6 of this thread.

I admire your efforts to take your health into your own hands and find what you believe is the best course of action for you. As Samm would say (and an old rock song) – Keep on keepin’ on!

Hello Simcoeluv,

somewhere on this thread you write that “starvation mode” is a myth.
    I thought it was pretty much a given that the body lowers TDEE as you lose weight and the moment you eat above this new TDEE, you gain weight again. Or is this not what they call “starvation mode”?
    I am confused, please help! šŸ™‚

Thanks,
    Austrian

Hi Austrian:

The ‘starvation mode’ that most talk about is that after a period of a few hours or days of ‘eating less’ the body’s metabolism slows down so much that weight loss stops. One post today on another thread expressed concern that water fasting for less than two days would lower their metabolism so much their weight loss would stop. People also generally worry about whether their metabolisms have slowed after hitting their first (of many) ‘plateaus’. They think their diet (eating less) has caused the cessation of weight loss. Many nutritionists, trainers and doctors blame the ‘starvation mode’ for these plateaus. Because of this fear of a slowing metabolism you read about all sorts of things you have to do to make sure your metabolism does not slow on a diet – like eating to your TDEE or above on your non diet days, or making sure you eat between your BMR and TDEE all of the time so the slowing does not occur. As the myth is perpetuated by people that should know better but don’t – doctors, nutritionists and diet book writers, it is widespread and believed by many.

I don’t know the origin of the myth, but suspect it came from a diet book writer who heard of the Minnesota Study (but did not understand it) and recognized a good way to sell a diet book when they saw one. After all, who wouldn’t want to go on a weight loss diet that said you had to eat enough food to keep your metabolism high? The diet probably didn’t work that well, but I’m sure the book sold very well.

FYI, the 1000+ page Minnesota Study took a group of conscientious objectors during WW2 and starved them. They were volunteers and the reason for the study was to try to mimic what refugees after the war would be going through so the government could plan what and how much to feed them to prevent their deaths from starvation. The non overweight to begin with volunteers were placed on 1500 cal. a day diets and required to walk 20 miles a week (going from memory here). Making a very long study short, over a period of about 6 months the results were that the subjects lost weight as expected until they reached 5% and less body fat. At that time, their metabolisms slowed down around 40%. This happens because when the body starts eating its muscles for food (read heart) it does in fact go into starvation mode to try to prevent death. The volunteers looked like concentration camp survivors by the time the ‘starvation mode’ kicked in (lots of pictures in the study). Somebody missed the fact that the ‘starvation mode’ didn’t start until a person reached 5% or less body fat and started the belief that the mode would begin soon after an overweight person started eating less than they had been eating. The rest, as they say, is history that we are still trying to correct.

Research has shown time and again that eating less does not cause a materially lower metabolism (for people having more than 5% body fat), and water fasters are the easy examples. Even though they are eating nothing at all, their weight loss continues at a pace of around 3/4 to a pound a day until they start eating again. The ‘starvation mode’ does not kick in and slow their weight loss or prevent them from losing weight. Dr. M addresses the myth in the FAQ at the top of the page and in this post: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/food-thought-fast-day-starvation-mode/

It is true that your TDEE goes down with weight loss, and up with weight gain. Just play around with the TDEE calculator at the top of the page and you will see what I mean. But for most people, their TDEEs don’t even fall 300 cal. between their current and goal weights. The standard advice is to recompute your TDEE after you have lost 10 or 20 pounds and make sure you eat less than your new TDEE thereafter. But this known and standard lowering of TDEE as weight is lost is not the ‘starvation mode’ people are afraid of. Here is information on TDEE: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

If you are really interested in metabolisms and how they work and how mysterious they are (and why some people get fat and others don’t), I strongly suggest you watch this BBC program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hbPXooB1U. It is an eye opener for many people and explains many things people wonder about.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much, Simcoeluv, for explaining, you should be writing your own diet book since you seem to know lots about diets/weightloss!
    The Minnesota study…does seem rather unethical from a modern point of view, no? Starve people until they have less than 5% body fat…hmmmm…

Viewing 50 posts - 301 through 350 (of 546 total)

You must be logged in to reply.