Test results, but not IGF1!

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  generosity 9 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

• Hi,

Had my blood tests on day of first fast. Here are my numbers…

gluc 4.4
    trig 0.9
    HDL 1.0
    LDL 2.6
    HDL/LDL 0.28

As you can see they’re good numbers to begin with. The main thing I was interested in was IGF1, and I was prepared to pay if needed (since the book says it’s expensive), HOWEVER, my doctor would NOT refer me for an IGF1 test! 🙁 Said there has to be “a clinical reason” for referral to an IGF1 test. Note that I’m in Australia. Since my other numbers are clearly already fine, and I don’t need to lose weight, IGF1 is the only motivator left now, and I have no way of finding out what it is apparently. 🙁

Michael, how did you get your IGF1 done? Was it because you were doing a documentary? Different in U.K.? I guess the only way I can get mine measured is to be part of a study, but wouldn’t know how to go about finding such a study to volunteer for.

Anyway, shall keep going and get my numbers checked again later. Really want to find out how I can get my IGF1 tested though. 🙁

Hi Donald-

IGF1 is not routinely offered in the UK either..however by searching the web I found it was on offer privately in London for about £100. Im not sure about the system in Australia but I expect there will be private “health check ” type centres in the big cities where they would do it for you. I believe the fast diet is popular in Australia so there is bound to be a private lab that sees a business opportunity!
    Good luck..

I’ll see what I can find. I’m happy to pay that amount of money, just need to find a way to get someone to give me the test! All my other numbers are perfectly fine, so it’s just a question of what my IGF1 is and is the fasting helping.

I can’t find anywhere on the web that tells me where I might get one, Donald. I did a google search for blood testing labs, it will depend on what state you are in. Maybe ring some and find one who will do it for you. After all, it’s your blood and your money!

Come back and let us know how you get on.

results here: http://www.google.com.au/webhp?hl=en&sa=N&tab=lw#hl=en&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=blood+testing+labs+australia&oq=blood+testing+labs+australia&gs_l=hp.3..33i29i30.1434.7310.0.7587.28.26.0.1.1.2.2207.8735.2-13j4j1j1j1j9-1.21.0…0.0…1c.1.18.psy-ab.Lz9Cu5PT5pk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.48572450,d.aGc&fp=75b415f8a464440a&biw=1556&bih=1084

Hi Donald, I’m in Australia and had my IGF-1 tested recently and didn’t have any issues. In fact the clinician who took the blood said she has had a lot of people come through getting it tested as they are starting the Fast Diet. (she herself was about to start) It was bulk billed through Medicare so there were no issues with cost.

On a side note my IGF-1 was high, out of normal range but apparently this is normal for it to rise when you start the diet before it actually drops.

Hi Donald, we are also in Australia, north of Sydney. We have a GP who understands the importance of IGF-1. Drop me a line if you would like details. Incidentally the Australian scale seems to e different to the UK one, the range finishes at about 30.

IGF-1 also not routine in US. Anyone with experience getting this test in US? I’ll be getting my labwork in a few weeks. Have been on the diet for 2 1/2 months now… and loving it. But I am hoping that lab results are reinforcing (esp blood sugar). IGF-1 would be best to know if I could get it.

Like Donald, my numbers have always been pretty good, though glucose hovers at top of range, and my weight is good and stabilized on the 5:2 diet after dropping about 10 lb. (I now weigh 158 lb, same as when I was 16 years old.)

Hi all. Things got a bit hectic and haven’t been on here for a few weeks. When I come back I find several replies! 🙂 KarenOz, where are you? I’m in Sydney. NigelWaring, I found you on Facebook and have sent you a message. 🙂 I’ve been doing this for 7 weeks now, so I should have a good number hopefully. Having not been able to get a test when I first started I guess I’ll need to stop for a while (like Michael has previously) and see if it goes up when not fasting anymore (then get back to fasting if it does).

P.S. am planning on getting the other tests done soon again too, just to see how those numbers are now, even though they were okay to begin with anyway. Mostly interested in IGF1 though.

Hi Donald, I’m in Brisbane. I am very surprised by your doctor’s response as it could have been done with the blood taken initially. Perhaps you need to tell your doctor this test is BB by Medicare. Just get it done as soon as possible and then at least this will be your baseline.
    I was into the fast a few weeks before doing the IGF, wish had done before starting, but will be having it checked again soonish, so of course hoping it has dropped!

I’ve been a little disappointed in the lack of response of the IGF-1 and the other biochemical markers.
    A group of us, all medical, have been on the diet for > three months, all have lost weight, from 4 to 7 kgs but none of us have had a satisfactory change in IGF-1.
    Mine is 21. it was 21 when I started the diet.
    None of my colleagues have had a significant change either +/- 1, after 2 months, which I imagine is well within the range of laboratory error.
    Alarmingly ALL those who have measured it have had a small rise in cholesterol, mine 3.3 to 4.0, one from 4.8 to 5.9.
    I would attribute this to experimental error again except that it happened to everyone in our group/ sample!
    This is very disappointing.
    We wondered if it related to the increased use of eggs in our diets on the fast days or just ‘relaxin’ too much on the ‘off’ days?
    BTW, should be no issue getting the test done through any of the main pathology providers in Australia.
    Medicare requires the doctor to consider it “necessary”.
    Best to go to a larger collection centre as the specimen needs to go into dry ice for transportation.

KarenOz, the issue isn’t bulk-billing, but as tko has said, that the test needs to be considered “necessary”. My Dr. was insisting there had be a “a clinical reason” for referral, bulk-billed or not, and wouldn’t refer me for the test. I need to find someone like the person you have seen who is happy to give me the test.

tko, very interesting what you said about lack of response in IGF1, as this is the only reason left for me now to be fasting. I was already at my target weight before starting, all my other numbers were good already, foudn that in fact I can’t eat “as much as I want” on non-fast days (or weight goes up again – I am one of those people who can just keep on eating – brain doesn’t get “full” signal from stomach), so the only reason left to fast is to get the IGF1 benefits which Michael has talked about, and you are saying you didn’t see that effect! Need to try and get this test done (am sitting here typing on a fast day, very hungry, and perhaps there’s simply no need to be hungry anymore if there’s no IGF1 improvement).

P.S. as a coule of people have mentioned it, I’ll look into if I can go directly to a pathology centre to get it done, rather than through my doctor. As I said, there’s no point me sitting here hungry if it’s not benefitting my IGF1 level…

Hi Iko. Without knowing your diet it is difficult to say but a possible reason for your lack of change in IGF-1 levels could be that not only are these levels linked to fasting but to the restriction of protein intake. If you keep your daily protein intake to about 0.8g of protein per KG of bodyweight you should see it start to drop.

Please see this link with Dr Luigi Fontana (you may remember him from the original Horizon documentary) talking about the subject with CRONies. They reduced protein to recommended levels and IGF-1 dropped by a quarter in 3 weeks. And that is without fasting, only calorie restriction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC-Z0N1AEo&list=PLKQ15cRZx_kFpdTGPfnLJw00UXCWOY1bg

Many people are not aware that the 0.8g per KG is not a lower limit for protein intake but a recommendation of the proper amount per person daily.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for that info Jono. Very interesting! I must confess my diet is high-protein (due to Atkins, etc.), so if I can get myself an IGF1 test, it’ll be interesting to see if I can achieve the same results just by eating less protein. That’s a lot easier that fasting once a week! 🙂

tko, I wonder how you are all measuring your calorie intake. We have an electronic scale which will measure from a few grams up to 5 Kgs. The brand is Crofton (ALDI) and they have them in every few months. It’s actually called a Nutrition Kitchen Scale. With it there is a book of code numbers, you weigh something then enter the three digit code, it then tells you how many calories, how much salt, protein fat, carb, chol, and fibre. We eat mainly fresh fruit and vegetables, all these have codes. We are vegetarian so get our protein mainly from Sanitarium chilled or frozen products which give details of calories and protein along with a few other things. We believe that we can calculate our intake to within one or two calories and our protein to within a couple of grams. It is all a time consuming process but we believe well worth the effort.

Since keeping track of our intake we have been surprised just how many calories some things have, the biggest surprise was some kinds of bread, as many as 100 calories per slice. If someone was trying to sneak a little snack they may not realise how much they’ve blown their daily limit. Two slices buttered with a bit of lettuce could be well over 200 grams.

I am confused regarding the level of IGF-1. I am reading DR. James Forsythe’s book ANTI-AGING CURES and he is suggesting that the IGF-1 levels should go higher for the body to fight aging and to getting healthier and youthful.Please DR. Mosley could you clarify this point, it’s very important for me.Others can comment too.

I have been on the fast diet for about 14 weeks now. I am 63, a vegan (with the exception of eggs), a breast cancer survivor 3.5 years clear so far. I asked my doctor to test my IGF-1 factor last week. I have the results back and my number is 83! The range on the test is between 41-168. I do not have a previous level…so I can only compare it to the norm. I expect this is good? yes? My fasting cholesterol was 185…the rest of my blood work is in the mail. I have lost 14 pounds and feel better with each passing week. I hope to loose 15 more pounds. Thanks so much for spreading the word of this way of life…Ever hopeful, Laura in NY

Hi

I started the diet (6:1, not 5:2) 8 months ago, not to lose weight, but to improve my health, with IGF-1 levels as an intended marker for reducing various health risks.

I would describe my diet as typical for a healthy omnivore.
    The test results below are in micrograms of IGF-1 per litre of blood. Aus and UK use different scales, but the recommended range is 75-263 ug/L.

Before start of 6:1 fasting, my IGF-1 level was 103 ug/L

After 4 months of 6:1 with no other diet changes, 106 ug/L

After 4 months of 6:1 with no animal protein or soy protein, and an attempt to limit overall protein input to the RDA of 0.8 grams per kilo of body weight. A substantial drop to 63 ug/L of IGF-1.

From my research (as a lay person) it seems that limiting protein intake is important for getting a reduction in IGF-1 levels – 40% reduction in my case! But it is ALSO possibly important to remove animal protein (and so called animal-like-protein (soy etc)) from your diet.

I became vegan after 4 months on the diet which not only removed the animal protein, but also made it much easier to limit my protein intake.

I’ve not yet noticed any health effects, good or bad, but have probably reduced my risk of various cancers etc .

I’d be keen to hear of anyone elses self-experimentation results.

Well done Rusty!
    At last some data.

I always expected that the protein reduction was as or more important than the fasting. Your results certainly show this.

Hi, Michael and Mimi and other Intermittent Fasters –
    Loved the PBS series! Love the FAST DIET book!
    I just went for my annual physical and my doctor is willing to prescribe a blood test for IGF-1. I live in Phoenix, Arizona USA. I went to the lab next door to my doctor’s office and the clerk there gave me information on the 4 IGF tests available in her book – here are the prices, PLUS $10 to draw blood –
    IGF-1 $317,
    IGF-2 $105,
    IGF-BP1 $114, BP1 is Binding Protein 1;
    IGF-BP3 $105, BP3 is Binding Protein 3.

I am assuming I will have to pay the entire amount, but I’m willing to do that – $327 in US Dollars. I am 100 pounds over weight and my latest blood work numbers are not great, but not horrible either. I gained weight when 3 major disasters hit within 6 months of each other: my identity was stolen, I broke my tailbone in a fall at work, and my boss told me he was going to lay me off. I began having anxiety attacks, my blood pressure went sky high and I couldn’t cope as the ID thieves were opening new credit card accounts and charging thousands of dollars in my name – it was a very difficult time. But I’m doing much better, the ID thieves are in prison, I’m off Xanax AND the blood pressure medicine I was taking and I’m continuing to heal.

Total Cholesterol was 202 – a bit high;
    Lp(s) Cholesterol was 18.0 – high;
    Total VLDL Cholesterol was 32 – a bit high;
    VLDL 3 (Small Remnant) was 18 – high;
    Remnant Lipoproteins was 41 – high;
    High-Sensitivity CRP was 3.3 – high;
    Fasting Glucose was 79 – very good;
    Uric Acid was 6.6 – a bit high – Gout ???

There is a chart that the lab clerk copied in addition to information about these tests – the chart says that for someone my age, 61, my IGF-1 should be between 75-212. And the chart covers ages from birth thru 85 years of age.

Thanks for all your information!
    Robin

@az-red-bird Hi Robin and welcome to these forums

You have been through it haven’t you but I’m glad you’re now coming out the other side.

I have to confess that I have no idea what all your results mean. I’m in Scotland and we use different measurements.

I do know that losing weight has a very positive effect though.

In October 2012 I had high cholesterol, high blood pressure, high fasting glucose and needed strong painkillers to cope with painful osteoarthritis in both hips and my lower spine.

In October 2013 and 35lbs lighter my cholesterol and blood pressure were normal, my fasting glucose was normal and I had been able to stop the painkillers as my osteoarthritic pain had almost gone.

Now at another 14lbs lighter (49lbs in all) I have started a Couch to 5k running programme and feel better and fitter than I have done for years. Not bad for a 67 year old!

This way of eating – I don’t see it as a diet, it’s a completely sustainable way of life – is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Who knew losing weight and getting fitter and healthier could be so easy? 😀

Good luck with your journey – please let us know about your progress. You’ll find so much support on these forums – it’s amazing.

xx

Please don’t waste you $ getting IGF1 levels! The levels naturally drop as we get older the same as testosterone,estrogen and thyroid levels. I have been replacing those 3 with bio-identical hormones for 15 years because my body screamed without them, (The testosterone relacement for women is a miniscule dose compared to men.) Men go into andropause as women go through menopause, not fun. And no one should be concerned with even a 30 point change when your IGF levels are less than the youthful levels anyway. 100? Not to worry, it will keep diving.
    There is a different mindset in the US with the theory that we age because our hormone factory shuts down. And we have seen 75-80 year olds with rockbottom IGF levels blosson with HGH injections. Not high doses here, really small ones. Not the crazy bodybuilder levels for sure.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply.