Starting the 5:2 Tomorrow morning! Yikes…

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Cstout1947 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• My wife and I are both doing this together. Any help or ideas will be appreciated.

Thank You

Chuck and Kristi Stout

Hi C and welcome:

Here is most of the info you will need to be successful on 5:2: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/the-basics-for-newbies-your-questions-answered/

Good Luck!

Plan what you will eat tomorrow today. Drink lots of water. Distract yourself with projects or exercise so you won’t confuse boredom with hunger. Hide the snacks. Eat an early dinner.
    Let me know if you need some recipes: I’ve got lots.
    Good luck.

Good Morning,

I didn’t see anything in the book about 0 calorie sweeteners. I use Splenda in my morning coffee is that OK?

Day 1 So far so good..Just had my steel oats and blue berries not bad 14 hours no food…So that oatmeal tasted pretty good!!!I see benefits already..I can see that my food choices will change for the better…I am interested to see how my workout is on Tuesday???

Hi C:

Splenda, and all other 0 calorie foods, are fine on 5:2.

One of the ‘secrets’ that show up after doing 5:2 correctly for awhile is that many people reevaluate what they have been eating and make changes that they believe will be for the better.

So focus on doing your two diet days correctly for a month or two, and I suspect everything else will fall into place.

Good Luck!

No pun intended…but Sweet! Thank You..

Hello

I am addicted to chips potato tortilla fish crackers etc..any ideas of a supplement for this food. I need to cut them but not sure how

Thanks

Hi C:

At this point, I don’t think you have to worry about the chips. As I mentioned,just focus on your diet days. You may find that your addiction to the chips just goes away. In the meantime,enjoy them! This is not a diet of restriction!

Hello

OK I feel my card intake is too high but I will try to reduce how much and look for low carb varieties?

Thanks again

Hi C:

There are so many diets around. Low carb is one of the current favorites. But like any thing else, it’s all in the execution. I suggest you just stick with 5:2 and see where it leads.

Good luck!

Hi C,

I tend to rock the boat too much with my mantra of healthy eating, so please take or leave the info Im giving as you see fit.

If you are addicted to simple processed carbs then basically all that means is that you are unable to function without glucose spikes. Simple processed carbs such as bread, crackers, biscuits etc. are turned into maltose (two glucose rings joined together) whilst you are chewing the food in your mouth. It is then converted to glucose shortly after leaving your stomach and entering your small intestines. People that are unable to function without continual glucose spikes just have a liver that is poorly adapted to processing stored fats for energy.

So how does one adapt and make your liver function both as a glucose storing AND fat retrieving organ? Cant sugar coat it for you but its not going to be easy. It will take about a month of “detoxing” to get rid of your simple carb addiction. Running a calorie deficit as in 5:2 will certainly help. If you can manage it, just go cold turkey. No processed crap carbs.

Substitute it with high fibre alternatives and or good fat alternatives. Nuts like almonds as a go to snack. Cruciferous veggies. High fat low sugar Greek yogurt. Tart apples like granny smiths. You will have to tough it out for a month, it gets easier after that.

Can you be successful on 5:2 and still eat a crap diet? Yes, but its going to make the job real hard. Your chances of success will be a lot higher if you eat healthy and incorporate 5:2 as well.

Lots will chime in and say you don’t have to do it this way. However go to the Maintenance forum and ask the ones that have been successful and you will see a common theme emerge with what they eat. Good luck with it.

Thank You…I will stick with the 5:2 and hopefully as I go my cravings for chips will subside…

Hello First day was great… We had the meals from Day 2 in the book…looking forward to Thursday which is a fast day and a workout day?

I decided after a few suggestions on this site to try and go Cold Turkey on my carb addiction..I am happy to report that this week I had no chips crackers snacks of any kind! Did well on my fasting days under 600 calories. Kept my workouts up and since I started 2 weeks ago down 9 lbs lowered my body fat by 2 %….Thank to all who gave me some help

Cstout1947 – I enjoy a good news story,so your early success with 5:2 is great to hear. You asked about what to substitute your unhealthy snacks with. I’ve tried all sorts of things to replace potato chips/crips (which I love) and eventually decided it is better to eat a good filling meal with lots of veges, wholefoods and fibre and try to have no snacks at all till the next meal. I’ve tried substituting one snack for something healthier and I find I just eat too many calories by the end of the day. I have fruit available for emergencies, as I do give in to temptation sometimes. Some people have a few nuts or a square of very dark chocolate. Or a handful of sugar-snap peas or cherry tomatoes – something you like. Check the calories of your healthy snacks so you know roughly how much is OK.

I found once I got my Fast days sorted then i started to think more about what i ate on non-fast days. Good luck with your journey!

Good job, Cstout! Keep up the good work.

ccco USA FD Day 25:

I was lucky in that I already go rid of refined rice, white flour, sugar, etc. long before I 5:2. I did it one at a time. I had the hardest time with white bread! More recently I removed alcohol from my diet. I only drank wine and think I will have an occasional glass once I reach my goal. I also use Splenda. Outside of fruit, it’s my only sweet that I eat! Funny, though, as time went by I no longer could tolerate the foods I gave up. White bread, which I could eat by the loaf once I got started, I find intolerable! LOL Now I am working on gluten. Getting rid of food that isn’t good for you is hard be very doable over time. Since entering this 5:2 WOL, I have completely revamped my diet and now eat Mediterranean style. While it is still a work in progress, I feel so much better and I probably wouldn’t have made the changes without 5:2. I am now so much more aware of what I put in my mouth. Now I am working at keeping out of my house those things I can’t control how much I eat! Nuts are something that are part of the Mediterranean diet but I just can’t stop eating them! LOL Obama ate exactly 7 almonds every evening! I am going to focus on that thought and see if I can do that, too!! Good luck! I think this is a doable and healthy program!

Would you say that it boils down to will power? [BTW, I think the obama-7 almonds was a fluke. On that particular evening, during that interview, he ate 7 almonds. Doesn’t mean that’s what happened every night. i think it has been blown out of proportion.

coco, you are making some good changes. keep up the good work!

ccco USA

Fasting_me, you may be right about the almonds! LOL Once the press got ahold of that, you took it all the way! It does sound like discipline, though, but still amusing. Thanks for responding, I think that I won’t consider February a wash because I spent the whole months trying to get this program the way it works best for me and I think I finally got it. I have turned things around and my weight is going down again! I’ve only been doing this for about a month, so I am pretty sure that March should be a good month for me! Live and learn, as they say!! Good luck everyone and stay strong! 🙂

Good Morning…Well today I hit my Goal!!! 179.2 on the scale..This has been an amazing process..First the idea of not eating(600 or less calories) was a bit daunting. It’s like a lot of things once you get rolling it really isn’t bad. If you have seen my previous posts you will know that I had a serious CARB addiction chips crackers Doritos you name and on top of that potatoes. I got some good advice on this board and decided that COLD turkey was the only way to go..I really stayed on track except for our vacation oooops….Tale of the tape 190 lbs when I started goal 179..This morning 179.2 Body fat down 2.9% BMI down 2.0 . My plan is to continue for a few more weeks and then go to one day a week…This plan flat out works!! For me reducing my Carbs and sticking to the plan has paid off big time. The other thing is it creates a life style change( for me) I thought I might gorge after the fast days but no it didn’t happen? My workout days were better for me on the non fast days? My take is It sounds easy and it can be BUT you have to be ready, be committed,follow the plan and increase your activity level and it will happen.
    Thank you.
    CStout1947

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply.