Short women (5' 1") – can we eat the same 500 cals on fast days?

Welcome to The Fast Diet The official Fast forums Welcome to The Fast Diet and Exercise forums
Short women (5' 1") – can we eat the same 500 cals on fast days?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Mrs Overall 7 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• I’ve seen posts about tall women asking if they can take more fast day calories, but not about short women. At 5″ 1″ my daily maintenance calories calculate at only 1160-70. This surely means that the 2000 calories for women per day around which the regime is based is going to be inappropriate for me and other small (short) women. It’s actually really hard to eat less than 2000 calories a day on a regular basis anyway. Also is a 500 calorie fast day going to be extreme enough for someone like me?

Hi Jumping and welcome:

It is a sad fact that the shorter you are, the fewer calories you need to operate your body. The 2000 was based on an ‘average’ for women, although I don’t know how that average was figured out. There are not many women, even overweight women, that have 2000 as their TDEE.

The way it is presented is for an average woman to eat 2000 on non diet days and 500 on diet days. The 500 comes out to 1/4 of 2000. For women that have TDEEs different from 2000, the guidance is to eat 1/4 of whatever the TDEE is – in your case, about 300 – on their diet days.

You can eat more than 300 (or now, it seems, 500) if you want. The result of doing that, however, is to lose weight more slowly. In your case, if you do about 1160 and about 300, you would cut around 1700 cal. a week from your diet. That would mean you might expect to lose over time about a half a pound a week. If you instead eat 500 cal. on your two diet days you will cut around 6 ounces a week. If you eat the newly recommended 800 cal., you would lose around 3 ounces a week. Here is how TDEE works: https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/topic/tdee-for-the-curious-or-why-dont-i-lose-weight-faster/

So you can see that losing weight as a short woman with a small TDEE can be a time consuming process! Some people work their way to not eating anything on their diet days, which leads to a quicker weight loss. Some also go to 4:3 and even Alternate Day Fasting, which speeds it up even more.

But the bottom line is you have to decide whether or not you want to go on a diet and lose weight. It will be slow regardless of the diet you choose.

Good Luck!

Hi JumpingJacks, I’m 5’2 and have been on the diet for six weeks, my daily maintenance calories are 1200 and I cut down to 500 on a Monday and Thursday, I don’t exercise and I’ve lost 12lb. I was 12st so now 11st 2lb. I don’t think I could survive on less than 500 calls, thats difficult enough as I need my milk at night to keep my stomach from growling, I have a boiled Egg in the mornings and a big, mostly veg salad at lunch, I try to keep each ‘meal’ to around 100 cals.
    I’ve been amazed at how easy the weight has come off, once I get to my ideal weight I’m hoping to reduce to fast just one day a week, probably Monday as it seems easier than Thursday. Good luck with the diet!

Yep being vertically challenged can be hard !

I’m 5′ 2″ and in the past I’ve only managed half a pound a week. I lost motivation but then something ‘clicked’ and I found losing half a pound a week wasn’t that bad, it just took longer.

I joined SW and lost another stone but put half of it back on over Christmas so I restarted 5:2 but decided to start with I’d do 4:3 just to speed things up.

I can managed on very little on a FD and sometimes just have a large salad or carrots/celery and salsa/Houmous /tzatziki in the early evening. I drink lots and lots of water during a FD.

I’ve lost 2.5lbs this week !!

That sounds a great diet, Ladylovesmilktray! I think I might go back to a boiled egg for FD and a veg salad for lunch – the more munching the better. I guess it’s about finding something that suits you, and is achievable even when you’re out working. 12lbs in 6 weeks is amazing. You ladies are an inspiration. Tillergirl, 2.5lbs in a week is astonishing for a vertically challenged female!! Well done!

Thanks for the good wishes – I’ve got some of the books from Amazon, and there are some lovely recipes. I’m going to try my first day tomorrow – an egg for breakfast, a salad for lunch and a feta salad for dinner.

Hi I too am short and have a TDEE of 1400cals, so technically my FDs should be 350. I have never done that, I use 500 as my maximum as I don’t find it sustainable to do 350 on a regular basis and I think it’s more important that I can stick to this long term.

Initially when realised my TDEE was low I felt like I was on a diet every day and having to monitor everything so I didn’t overeat. I found sticking to 1400 on NFDs was a challenge and in the end I dropped the meal that I usually least feel like eating (which for me is breakfast) – this meant that the calories I have available fit better across my day and I don’t feel as deprived. On NFDs I now have brunch/lunch, an afternoon snack (usually fruit or dairy) and dinner, and I feel quite satisfied by that most days. When I was trying to divide my calories between 3 meals I really struggled to keep my calorie count low enough. This doesn’t mean I don’t eat treats sometimes but I find with a low TDEE I just can’t make that a part of normal daily eating.

The forum thread that I mainly contribute to (Southern Hemispheres) has several women members with low TDEEs who lost their weight with 5:2 and have been maintaining for a while now. It gives me a lot of hope that this can work for those of us who unfortunately need less calories than the “average” person. I hope it works for you too.

I am only 4 10.5! I don’t weight myself but have gone down a dress size since beginning of march on 5:2? I do 500 calls on fast days and don’t count cals on NFDs (which is the original premise of the plan). I am also hypothyroid so everything works against me! Exercise is the key to raise your metabolism (I am a PT) if I didn’t train I would be the size of a house. Strength and interval training are brilliant to raise metabolism but do soneyhing you enjoy and can maintain for life. Food wise I steer clear of sugar and refined carbs (bread, rice, pasta, sweet treats) and have LOADS of veg. This keeps blood glucose steady so you just tend not to overeat and you don’t have to constantly count calories.
    The low sugar with training definitely works. I started 5:2 because I had a knee injury so could not train and gained a dress size the knee is getting better but I will keep 5:2 up.
    It’s so much harder for short women, I can do exactly the same workout as one of my clients who is 5ft 9 and she burns double the amount if calories (according to our heart rate monitors).
    We just have to accept it’s harder when you are short x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply.